Looking for a book for my teacher of English.

I enjoy giving books to my most loved people, one of them is my current teacher of English. :) I asked her if she wanted a book in Spanish but she said it was ok to buy her a book in English, so I was thinking of these books;

The Analyst - John Katzenbach**

My Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold*

The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus - Christopher Marlowe**

* Read

** Not read

What do you think about these books, which one would you give to a teacher of yours?

If you have any other recommendation (please!!) I surely would be very grateful to you.

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez, especially if there is a bit of a crush thing going on there!

Also (and probably my choice) A 100 Years of Solitude by the same author is also a wonderful book - Tip, if you chose this, make sure the book has a family tree at the start, its set over 5 generations with the same recurring family names used. I'd have been lost without it!

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez, especially if there is a bit of a crush thing going on there!

Also (and probably my choice) A 100 Years of Solitude by the same author is also a wonderful book - Tip, if you chose this, make sure the book has a family tree at the start, its set over 5 generations with the same recurring family names used. I'd have been lost without it!

Those books are really good :), but I'm afraid that she has already read those. :) Anyway, thank you so much. :)

What do you think about these books, which one would you give to a teacher of yours?

If you have any other recommendation (please!!) I surely would be very grateful to you.

An interesting challenge: as a teacher of English, I would suspect she had read a goodly amount of English lit, and unless you know her well, it would be difficult to judge what she has read/what she already owns.

One possibility would be a nice edition of a book you know she enjoys. A fair number of publishers are starting to produce these, or a good quality second hand Folio Society edition of quite a few classics can be had fairly cheaply.

Another possibility would be something non-fiction related to English/reading. For instance, Alberto Manguel's A History of Reading or, one of my favourites, Anne Fadiman's Ex Libris - a slim, light hearted, highly readable, volume of essays about the joy of books and reading.

If you want to stick to fiction, my first recommendation would be A Month in the Country by JL Carr. Guardian fiction prize winner and Booker nominated in 1980, one can't find a more beautifully crafted, quintessentially English piece of writing. I adore it.

Of the three you mention, I don't know The Analyst, can't stand Lovely Bones, and think Dr Fastus is brilliant. In terms of which one to give a teacher of English, there's no contest.

Edited by willoyd