Mona's Reading List (2012)

anisia

Author: Anthony Burgess

Title: A Clockwork Orange

Book Description (goodreads.com)

Told by the central character, Alex, this brilliant, hilarious, and disturbing novel creates an alarming futuristic vision of violence, high technology, and authoritarianism.Anthony Burgess’ 1963 classic stands alongside Orwell’s 1984and Huxley’s Brave New World as a classic of twentieth century post-industrial alienation, often shocking us into a thoughtful exploration of the meaning of free will and the conflict between good and evil.

Personal Note

I loved this book but in the same time I find it impossible to say why. Usually with a book I have a character I like or the plot is amazing – I can’t pinpoint any of these with A Clockwork Orange. It took me a bit to get used to the very weird language and I found all the violent scenes quite extreme. I also cannot agree with the other part, basically taking someone’s choice of good/bad. It seemed to me that those people were just as bad, only in a different setting. Very good read, I’m so glad I finally gave in and took the book from the library, even if I didn’t think I’d enjoy it at all.

Author: Anthony Burgess

Title: A Clockwork Orange

Personal Note

I loved this book but in the same time I find it impossible to say why. Usually with a book I have a character I like or the plot is amazing – I can’t pinpoint any of these with A Clockwork Orange. It took me a bit to get used to the very weird language and I found all the violent scenes quite extreme. I also cannot agree with the other part, basically taking someone’s choice of good/bad. It seemed to me that those people were just as bad, only in a different setting. Very good read, I’m so glad I finally gave in and took the book from the library, even if I didn’t think I’d enjoy it at all.

It's weird, isn't it, how great the book was, eventhough the subject matter was horrifying and there were some really nasty stuff in the book, and even the language took some getting used to. So weird! I completely agree with you on everything what you said in that review. And I didn't expect to enjoy the novel either, because the movie is just awful and I can't watch it, it's too visual and detailed and it makes me want to emotionally vomit.

• 2 months later...

Slowly trying to get this thread updated!

Author: Rob Lowe

Title: Stories I Only Tell My Friends

Book Description (amazon.co.uk)

A wryly funny and moving account of an extraordinary life lived almost entirely in the public eye.

Teen idol at fifteen, international icon and founder of the Brat Pack at twenty, and one of Hollywood’s top stars to this day, Rob Lowe chronicles his experiences as a painfully misunderstood child actor in Ohio uprooted to the wild counterculture of mid-seventies Malibu, where he embarked on his unrelenting pursuit of a career in Hollywood.

Personal Note

I adored Rob Lowe in his role as Sam in The West Wing but there was something about Rob Lowe the actor that just didn’t work for me. I’ve been following him on Twitter for a long time and I didn’t dislike him, but I think the scandals from years ago just got stuck in my head. Reading the book has changed that opinion a lot! He’s grown up (of course!), he’s fought to make something of his life, he’s sober, he has a nice family and he seems as down to earth as someone quite famous can be. The book itself is great not only because it gives a glimpse into his life from start until now, but also because it talks about a generation of actors like Tom Cruise and Patrick Swayze and their beginnings. It also shows the beginnings of the film industry as it is nowadays.

If you know even a bit about Rob Lowe or are a fan, I definitely recommend the book!

Author: Ransom Riggs

Title: Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. And a strange collection of very curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children;, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here – one of whom was his own grandfather – were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow – impossible though it seems – they may still be alive. A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photographyMiss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Personal Note

I wasn’t disappointed by this book, but it wasn’t what I had expected either. Took me ages to find it in the bookstore, because I didn’t know it was in the horror section – I still wonder why it was there as the most scary parts of it were the pictures that appear once in a while in the book. That doesn’t mean it’s not worth a read, I enjoyed it, it’s fast paced and original. I thought the idea of having pictures to accompany what I was reading was excellent and it made the story seem more real. One thing, I probably wouldn’t have read it had I realised this is a new series and the second book hasn’t come out yet. It certainly left me wanting more!

Author: Kathleen Jeffrie Johnson

Title: Target

Why had the men chosen him? What had they seen about him that said, I’m your target?

Savagely violated by two strangers, 16-year-old Grady West retreats into a deep silence. Everything about the life he knew fades away. He switches to a new school and stops calling his old friends. He can’t talk to his family. As fear and doubt and memories of his horrible experience take over his head, Grady can’t even eat. But there are those around him who can see beyond his silence and want to know who he really is. As Grady struggles to climb out of the pain and recover from his trauma, he begins to connect with people who show him that life is still worth living.

Personal Note

Awful subject, but it deals with the aftermath of what happened to Grady in such a true and real way. I don’t know how to describe how I feel about the book – I can’t say I liked it, because the topic is horrible. But I want to say that I felt the open ending it has suits it perfectly. There’s no sudden cure for Grady to feel “better” or get over what happened, just like in real life people don’t just snap out of it and move on. For a very short book, this book has had a very big impact.

Title: Luck in the Shadows

Author: Lynn Flewelling

When young Alec of Kerry is taken prisoner for a crime he didn’t commit, he is certain that his life is at an end. But one thing he never expected was his cellmate. Spy, rogue, thief, and noble, Seregil of Rhiminee is many things–none of them predictable. And when he offers to take on Alec as his apprentice, things may never be the same for either of them. Soon Alec is traveling roads he never knew existed, toward a war he never suspected was brewing. Before long he and Seregil are embroiled in a sinister plot that runs deeper than either can imagine, and that may cost them far more than their lives if they fail. But fortune is as unpredictable as Alec’s new mentor, and this time there just might be…Luck in the Shadows.

Personal Note

First book in the Nightrunner series, I found Luck in the Shadows a very compelling read. Both Alec and Seregil are characters that I liked and after finishing both this book and the next one in the series, I still can’t decide which of the two I like more – they just balance each other very well. I admire Lynn Flewelling for creating such a detailed world and for being able to tie things together. I definitely have to mention that the book does have a slight focus on the developing relationship between Alec and Seregil, but especially in this first volume it is almost not there.

• 3 months later...

My wish of actually updating this thread didn't go so well...oh well! From now on it might happen.

Title: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Book 1)

Author: Douglas Adams

Book Description (Goodreads)

In consequence of a number of stunning catastrophes, Arthur Dent is surprised to find himself living in a hideously miserable cave on prehistoric Earth. And then, just as he thinks things cannot possibly get any worse, they suddenly do. Discover the origins of life on Earth - and don't be shocked if it's not what they taught you at school.

Personal Note

I can't believe it took me so long to start this! Absolutely hilarious, such a good read. It's part of the 1001 Books to Read list, and I can certainly see why. I'm looking forward to the next ones in the series.

Title: The Casual Vacancy

Author: J.K. Rowling

A BIG NOVEL ABOUT A SMALL TOWN...

When Barry Fairbrother dies in his early forties, the town of Pagford is left in shock.

Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war.

Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils...Pagford is not what it first seems.

And the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?

Personal Note

It was my intention to read this book with an open mind and try and put aside that the author is J.K. Rowling who wrote the books that I grew up and that have had such a huge influence in my life. I'm very glad I gave it a chance and basically just went at it without having any real expectations. The characters have depth and they're all people that exist in any community, big or small. There's something I noticed while reading it - I think I probably perceive the book a bit different now, after being in the UK for a couple of years. There are certain aspects, like the Fields, that probably wouldn't make so much sense to me otherwise or I wouldn't maybe have such a vivid image of it.

I found the end very sad, but also very fitting - it gives the book more credibility.

Loved the book!

• 3 weeks later...

Title: A History of British Serial Killing

Author: David Wilson

In this fascinating and informative new book, Professor David Wilson tells the stories of Britain's serial killers from Jack the Ripper to the extraordinary Suffolk Murders case.

David Wilson has worked as a Prison Governor and as a profiler, and has been described as the UK's leading expert on serial killers. His work has led him to meet several of the UK's deadliest killers, and build up fascinating insights into what makes a serial killer - and who they are most likely to target.

A vivid narrative history and a timely call for prison and social reform, Professor Wilson's new book is a powerful and gripping investigation of Britain's serial murderers.

Personal Note

To say I didn't enjoy the book would be a lie, but I feel it didn't quite do what it had intended. It felt too short and for each group of the victims, I would have liked to read more. I did think it was a good portrait of the society at various times, and I particularly liked the discussion about "cop culture". I also thought it was very good to divide the victims in certain groups - I just would have liked more details and even less about the killers themselves.

Title: A Brief History of Time

Author: Stephen Hawking

Stephen Hawking, one of the most brilliant theoretical physicists in history, wrote the modern classic A Brief History of Time to help non-scientists understand fundamental questions of physics and our existence: where did the universe come from? How and why did it begin? Will it come to an end, and if so, how? Hawking attempts to deal with these questions (and where we might look for answers) using a minimum of technical jargon. Among the topics gracefully covered are gravity, black holes, the Big Bang, the nature of time and physicists' search for a grand unifying theory. This is deep science; the concepts are so vast (or so tiny) that they cause mental vertigo while reading, and one can't help but marvel at Hawking's ability to synthesize this difficult subject for people not used to thinking about things like alternate dimensions. The journey is certainly worth taking for as Hawking says, the reward of understanding the universe may be a glimpse of "the mind of God".

Personal Note

My knowledge of physics was tested a lot through this book. I enjoyed it, but as I was recently talking with Raven about this, I would be unable to explain to anyone most of what I read. It mostly made a lot of sense while reading, but I think it mostly served as a reminder of certain concepts I already had and was at least a bit familiar with. I'm very glad I read the book, as I've had it on my list for a long time, but I wish I had just a bit more knowledge to understand everything in it.

Title: Traitor's Moon (Nightrunner #3)

Author: Lynn Flewelling

Seregil and Alec have spent the last two years in self-imposed exile, far from their adopted homeland, Skala, and the bitter memories there. But their time of peace is shattered by a desperate summons from Queen Idrilain, asking them to aid her daughter on a mission to Aurenen, the very land from which Seregil was exiled in his youth.

Personal Note

It was so good to get back into the Nightrunner series! This book is different from the two before - I loved all the politics and the fact that it mostly takes places in Aurenen. I love the writing, it's the type of book that has just the right amount of description and it gripped me from the first page. There were some cute moments, especially with Seregil and Alec's relationship deepening, but also the friendship they now have with Thero. Ordered the next book in the series halfway through this book, I can't wait to read it.

• 2 weeks later...

Title: About a Boy

Author: Nick Hornby

'How cool was Will Freeman?'

Too cool! At thirty-six, he's as hip as a teenager. He's single, child-free, goes to the right clubs and knows which trainers to wear. He's also found a great way to score with women: attend single parents' groups full of available (and grateful) mothers, all hoping to meet a Nice Guy.

Which is how Will meets Marcus, the oldest twelve-year-old on the planet. Marcus is a bit strange: he listens to Joni Mitchell and Mozart, looks after his mum and has never owned a pair of trainers. But Marcus latches on to Will - and won't let go. Can Will teach Marcus how to grow up cool? And can Marcus help Will just to grow up?

Personal Note

This was a lovely read, funny and sad in the same time. I liked Marcus, perhaps more because I felt sorry for him, but I wasn't a fan of Will at all - by the end of the book, seeing him change, I didn't feel quite as annoyed by him. Throughout the book though, I just wanted to shake him and tell him to grow up.

Title: Clockwork

Author: Philip Pullman

The stories of Karl, the apprentice; Dr. Kalmenius, his nefarious “savior”; Gretl, the brave daughter of the town innkeeper; and a young prince whose clockwork heart is in danger of winding down come together in surprising and magical ways in a story that has the relentless urgency of a ticking clock.

Personal Note

I read this on Christmas Eve, such a nice little story. Reminded me of all the stories I read while growing up - with sacrifice, scary at times, a prince. I think I may make it a tradition to read this every Christmas Eve.

Title: A Brief History of Time

Author: Stephen Hawking

Stephen Hawking, one of the most brilliant theoretical physicists in history, wrote the modern classic A Brief History of Time to help non-scientists understand fundamental questions of physics and our existence: where did the universe come from? How and why did it begin? Will it come to an end, and if so, how? Hawking attempts to deal with these questions (and where we might look for answers) using a minimum of technical jargon. Among the topics gracefully covered are gravity, black holes, the Big Bang, the nature of time and physicists' search for a grand unifying theory. This is deep science; the concepts are so vast (or so tiny) that they cause mental vertigo while reading, and one can't help but marvel at Hawking's ability to synthesize this difficult subject for people not used to thinking about things like alternate dimensions. The journey is certainly worth taking for as Hawking says, the reward of understanding the universe may be a glimpse of "the mind of God".

Personal Note

My knowledge of physics was tested a lot through this book. I enjoyed it, but as I was recently talking with Raven about this, I would be unable to explain to anyone most of what I read. It mostly made a lot of sense while reading, but I think it mostly served as a reminder of certain concepts I already had and was at least a bit familiar with. I'm very glad I read the book, as I've had it on my list for a long time, but I wish I had just a bit more knowledge to understand everything in it.

I'm a bit late on this but, Yes Yes Yes Yes. I had the exact same realization when I had finished reading this book. Reading along I managed to grasp most of the ideas and concepts but I would be hard pushed to explain them to anyone.