Ruth's reading in 2012

Ruth

I read On the Beach years ago when I was quite young it's the only Nevil Shute book I've read but seem to remember I enjoyed it I guess it would seem quite dated today though like those 80's programmes about what it would be like to survive a nuclear war.

Yes, I couldn't deny that it has dated, but still worth a read. I would like to see the film of it now (especially as it stars Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner and Fred Astaire, all of whom I am a fan of :) )

Wonderful review. And makes me want to read it.

Will look out for it.

Thank you for posting this!

Thanks Bree :) I hope you enjoy the book if you read it.

Ruth

I enjoyed your review of On the Beach . I have never read it and really never even knew what it was about.

I like books like that ,the ones that make you think "What would I do ? " That's one of the reasons I like to read, it makes you step outside the box sometimes and put yourself in someone else's life,just to make you think about what you'd do in the same situation .

Thanks for the review!

Hi Julie, I'm fascinated by post-apocalyptic/dystopian novels; it's probably my favourite genre. The Road was another book that made me think, "What would I do?" My absolute favourite (and one of my favourite books ever) is The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood. On The Beach was quite different in tone, but definitely worth reading, especially if the subject is one that interests you. :)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruth

Is The Passage also among that type of books ? I have a copy buried someplace,but I'm thinking it might be along those same lines .

Are you familiar with the3 TV show that was on a few years ago called Jericho ? It was a little bit along this theme . Our country had been attacked by nuclear weapons ( long story short),and it showed how people in a small Kansas town had to prepare and how hard life was after this happened . Makes you appreciate everything we have when you think about how hard life would be to go without it all . Scarey stuff in a way !

I haven't read The Passage, but from what I've heard, it's a similar setting. I wouldn't mind picking it up at some point though :)

I head of Jericho, but have never seen it. When I heard it was on, I wanted to watch it because the genre is so fascinating, but somehow I never got around to it. There was a tv show in the 70s (I think) in the UK called Threads, which showed people trying to survive after nuclear war. I was too young to see it at the time, but have seen bits of it since...obviously it's dated now, but it still packs a punch in terms of its message.

Edited by Ruth

The Lace Reader, by Brunonia Barry

824a252a7b1350e597a73425777434d414f4541.jpg

Towner Whitney moved away from Salem, Massachusetts, years ago, after her twin sister Lyndley died. Now Towner’s great-aunt Eva has gone missing, and Towner goes back to the place where she said she would never return. The town is shaken by her arrival, and as Towner investigates both the disappearance of her great-aunt, and a young girl who her great-aunt was helping, the secrets of Towner’s own past start to unravel…

I enjoyed this book – on the whole. I did like the character of Towner, and although I thought I had worked the ending out, as it transpired, I was off the mark. While it’s always nice to be surprised by an ending of a book, I actually felt that the book fell apart slightly in the last 30 or so pages, and the ending, while satisfactory, was not as good as I had hoped or expected.

Much of the book is narrated by Towner, but at times it switched to a third person narrative – probably in order to tell events from the view of Rafferty, a Policeman who helps Towner, and who himself is searching for the truth behind the mysterious disappearances. There is also a chunk of about 60 pages which is told by Towner, in the form of a short story she wrote when she was a teenager. For me, these shifts in perspective did not really help the storyline, and I would have preferred the whole story to have been in either the first or third person, rather than changing between the two.

However, there were plenty of things to like about the book. I very much enjoyed reading about Salem, and found it especially interesting as I will be visiting Salem later this year. I loved reading about the traditions, stemming from the witch trials of the 1600s, and I thought that the author did an excellent job of describing the place, so that I could really get a sense of the atmosphere and setting of the story.

There was a definite undercurrent of tension throughout the book, which simmers nicely and adds an edge to the story. Overall, I would describe this book as an interesting read, and would be interested in seeking out more books by Brunonia Barry.

Adventures in a TV Nation, by Michael Moore

0330419145.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

In 1994, Michael Moore (subsequently best known for Fahrenheit 911, Bowling for Columbine, and being a general pain in the butt to the Republican Party) produced, with others, a television show called TV Nation. The idea behind the show was to raise awareness of injustice and corruption in America, and to do so in a humorous style. Less than 20 episodes were made (although Moore went on to do another similar show called The Awful Truth), but durng its short run, it was highly acclaimed.

This books covers just some of the pieces which the show did - including Crackers the Corporate Crime Fighting Chicken, the CEO challenge (can the highly paid CEO’s of various companies, actually do the lesser paid jobs which their employees do?), and finding work for former KGB operatives (to name just a few).

The book, like the TV show, is all done in Moore’s familiar irreverent style, and does set out to achieve it’s aim, in that it provides laughs, but also deals with serious subjects. It also shows the compromises that had to be made in order to get certain segments on air, and the sometimes dangerous situations that Moore and his crew found themselves in. (There were actually some segments that never made it to air, or were severely edited before they were shown.)

I do tend to agree with Michael Moore on many issues, but don’t always agree with the way he reports them, as his reporting can be heavily biased and edited to make things look the way he wants them to watch. Nevertheless, he highlights the hypocrisy of the media and the people that run it, as well as certain politicians, and he manages to make serious issues watchable and interesting to read about.

Overall, this is an easy and enjoyable read, and I would recommend it. It’s also worth mentioning that you do not need to have seen any episodes of TV Nation – or indeed any other of Moore’s work – to fully enjoy this book.

• 3 weeks later...

The Six Wives Of Henry VIII, by Alison Weir

There have been several individual biographies written of the six wives of Henry VIII.  Here, Alison Weir has pulled all of their stories together, and has created a biography of all six women, and their marriages to King Henry.  The events are told in chronological detail, which is a great help, as the timeline for his marriages can sometimes seem confusing!

Alison Weir writes so fluidly and eloquently that despite the huge amount of facts crammed into this story – dates, names, places – it never gets boring.  All the details are here, but the book never feels bogged down in them.  Indeed, it is such an engaging story that it sometimes reads almost like a novel.  As well as the six very different women who he married, the book also gives huge insight into Henry’s reign, and offers a more realistic portrayal of the man, rather than the gluttonous lech that he is often portrayed as.  As cold hearted a man as Henry VIII could undoubtedly be, it is worth remembering the times in which he lived, when such things that seem abominable to us today, were viewed as quite normal.  It is also clear that he could be a very generous and charismatic man, and that certainly, he loved his country and took his role as head of that country very seriously.

The author gives a balanced view of all the wives, as well as Henry himself, and indeed, his children.  I felt that I really got to know the characters, and the distinct personality of each wife was clearly described.  The book has clearly been extensively and exhaustively researched, with sources listed clearly at the back of the book.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this remarkably well written and readable biography.

The Gunslinger, by Stephen King

0340829753.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This book follows Roland of Gilead, the gunslinger of the title. As the book opens, he is chasing a mysterious figure known as the man in black (it’s not Johnny Cash, unfortunately). As the book tracks Roland’s journey so far, bits of his background are revealed, as well as more about the world which he inhabits. It is a world which is similar to earth in many ways, but there are some glaring differences. Indeed, there is something other-wordly and mystical about it, almost as though it is a parallel universe. As for Roland’s background, we learn that he was brought up in the ruling classes of his world, but that that world has all but disappeared now. Roland’s journey to track the man in black will lead him to his ultimate destination, The Dark Tower…

This book is the first in Stephen King’s Dark Tower series, and while I quite enjoyed it, I was left with an overall feeling of confusion, and that the book raised more questions than it answered. I can accept that in one way, as presumably any questions will be answered in subsequent books in the series. I quite like the dystopian feel of the book, but my main problem with it is that I never felt that the characters were particularly well drawn. I got a sense of Roland’s character, but he remained resolutely distant – it was impossible to engage with the character on any level. Also, the glimpses of Roland’s childhood still didn’t really explain how he had come to be in the position he was in – of the last gunslinger. Again, I assume that this will be revealed in a subsequent book.

The writing certainly flowed easily and I found myself able to read huge chunks of the book at a time. I quite enjoyed the almost dreamy like quality of the writing, and while I was left a bit non-plussed when I finished the book, my attention was caught enough to read at least the next book. However, I would not recommend this to someone wanting to read Stephen King for the first time – I don’t think the book is anywhere near as good as say, The Green Mile. It’s worth bearing in mind however, that King was just 19 years old when he started writing The Gunslinger, and he himself has said that it is some of his worst work. Give it a try if you like dystopian fiction – it’s not for everyone, but you just might like it!

Good comments, Ruth. I like The Dark Tower as a series, but I only actually enjoyed about half the books in the series, and The Gunslinger wasn't one of them. I found it very hard to care or relate to any of the characters. However, things are revealed in subsequent books (especially the next three) which make Roland seem a bit more personable and you can understand more where he is coming from. Plus other characters are introduced who have very central roles to play, and as they are quite interesting characters, they make the books much more readable.

• 2 weeks later...

Pure, by Andrew Miller

228361a068496cc597350364c77434d414f4141.jpg

Jean-Baptiste Baratte is an educated and enthusiastic engineer from Belleme in Normandy, who is given teh job of dismantling and disposing of the remains of the les Innocents church and cemetery, in Paris. He initially thinks it should be a routine, if somewhat unpleasant job, but it soon becomes clear that there is a lot more to the matter than he first thinks. Some of the locals who live near to the church are opposed to the destruction of the property – one in particular shows her feelings in an extreme fashion – and he realises that to find workers willing to assist in the project, he will have to call on outside help. The book tells Jean-Baptiste’s story of the year it took to clear the remains of the cemetery and the church, a year that involves, love, rape, suicide…

There are certain parts of this book which I loved. It won the 2011 Costa Book of the Year Award, and I can see why. Based on real events, the writing is gorgeous and evocative, occasionally beautiful. The destruction of a cemetery did not really sound as though it would make for an interesting story, but it does work, possibly because the book is also about how the job affected Jean-Baptiste and those around him. I really felt as though Andrew Miller captured the atmosphere of the place and brought it to life.

However, while I felt the scene was set beautifully, I found that it was hard to relate to or invest in any of the characters, including Jean-Baptiste himself, who I felt ambivalent about. That said however, the female characters in the book – the mysterious Heloise, the sweet Jeanne and the no-nonsense Lisa, were far more sympathetic, and a lot more likeable than most of the males. Overall though, I found myself reading the book with a sense of detachment – it never felt like a story I could lose myself in, although the writing is undeniably eloquent, and the story itself is pacey enough never to become boring.

I would recommend the book to fans of historical fiction, and would probably read more by this author.

Pure is always jumping out at me .. because of the lovely cover I think. Great review Ruth :smile: .. it sounds like an interesting book and even though it didn't exactly get your pulse racing I still like the sound of it. I'm officially not buying books at the moment (which of course means nothing :D) but will keep my eyes peeled for it in the charity shops etc.

I probably wouldn't have bothered with it, except that it was the book for this month at the local reading group. But I am glad I read it - it was worth it, and better than I expected. I hope you like it :)

(I am also officially not buying books at the moment, but I still bought three in the charity shop yesterday!)

Edited by Ruth

• 3 weeks later...

Paul Newman: A Life, by Shawn Levy

e80c5d774e58dff59782b2f5a77434d414f4141.jpg

Paul Newman was mainly known to the world as a movie star – an icon, really – with a beautiful face, mesmerising blue eyes, and a air of rascality about him. His long marriage to Joanne Woodward was revered in a profession where marriages often seem to break up almost as soon as the vows are read. This book is a journey through Newman’s life, from his happy childhood as the son of the owner of a successful sporting goods business, to the start of his acting career, and of course, his Hollywood stardom. However, just as interesting are the details of Paul’s passion for motor racing, his political activism, and his philanthropy. The book also covers darker periods of his life, such as the tragic death of his son Scott, and a period when he and Joanne briefly separated.

The book was written in a respectful, but not fawning fashion, and painted a picture of a man who was sometimes uncomfortable with his stardom, who was almost obsessive about details regarding his characters and the settings of films, and whose greatest love in life was his wife. Shawn Levy has taken a huge number of interviews that Paul Newman gave, and put them into chronological order; in this way, although Newman did not participate in any way with the writing of this book, we are still able to see his thoughts on certain times in his life, certain films that he made, etc. The book does not portray Newman as a saint, but he is treated with the warmth and respect that such a man would deserve.

One of the most fascinating parts of the book for me was when Newman set up the Hole In The Wall camps – places where sick children could go to simply have fun, play games, forget about their illnesses for a while. Newman was determined that no child’s family should have to pay for their child to go to the camp, and importantly, as well as giving his money to the project, he also gave his time – he would often pop into the camps on spec, and play games or chat with the children. I knew that Newman was a generous man, but I was surprised to learn of some of the things that he did, at no benfit to himself.

The book is very readable, and not at all dry – it’s a fascinating read from start to finish. I actually found myself with a lump in my throat at the end, when reading about the death of this mercurial, precise, rogueish, handsome, kind, intelligent and funny man. I would urge fans of Paul Newman to read this book.

Heat Wave, by Richard Castle

0786891416.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This book is a tie-in to the ABC tv series ‘Castle’ – but not your usual kind of tie-in. In that show, celebrity author Richard Castle tails NYPD Detective Kate Beckett and her team, in order to research his latest crime series. He bases his character Nikki Heat on Beckett, and releases a number of Nikki Heat books. This book is the first one in that series, so in effect it is a book written by a fictional character! (The identity of the actual author of the books is a closely guarded secret.)

The way it’s done is very clever, complete with an author photo of Richard Castle (actually Nathan Fillion, who portrays him on the show), and in his acknowledgements he thanks both the fictional characters and the actors on the show.

The story of the book revolves around the death of property mogul Matthew Starr. There are no shortage of suspects as Nikki and her colleagues, including Jameson Rook (the character which Castle bases on himself) investigate the murder, and Nikki finds herself in danger as she works to uncover the truth.

It’s hard to review this book without connecting it to the tv series. It could be read as a straightforward crime thriller, even if the reader had never seen the show. However, I think fans of the show (and I count myself among their number) will probably get more out of it, as the characters in the show all have counterparts in the book, and I found myself hearing their voices in my head as I read the story.

I definitely enjoyed the book. It moves along at a rapid pace, and certainly captures the atmosphere of New York City. I was kept guessing right until the end, and there were enough twists and turns to make it difficult to predict what was going to happen.

And for fans of the show – the much-referred to sex scene between Heat and Rook is in the book, and does indeed happen on page 105, just as stated in the show!

Overall, an enjoyable read – I will definitely read the subsequent books in the series.

The Coroner's Lunch, by Colin Cotterill

1847241964.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This book is the first in a series featuring Dr Siri Paiboun. It is set in 1976, in the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, which has just been taken over by the communist party. Dr Siri would dearly love to retire, but instead he finds himself reluctantly given the post of coroner, despite having no experience in that job at all. Along with his two assistants, the feisty and eager Dtui and the nervous Geung, who suffers from Down Syndrome, Siri has to learn the job while he’s doing it. When the wife of a prominent party member dies suddenly, Siri suspects that there is more to it than the husband’s claim that a bad diet killed her. Things get really complicated when three Vietnamese men turn up dead, and appearing to have been tortured. As Siri investigates it becomes clear that some people don’t want him to discover the truth.

I have slightly mixed feelings about this book, but overall I would say I enjoyed it. The writing is wry and amusing, and for such a macabre subject, the book is fairly light-hearted. For me, the character made the story. I really liked Siri, and his two assistants, and also his friend Civilai, whose connections prove useful to Siri.

However, the plot seemed to be unnecessarily complicated. The murder of the party member’s wife, and the mystery surrounding the three Vietnamese men would both have made interesting subjects for novels in their own right, but to have them both feature in one novel, made the storyline convoluted. There was also a third storyline wher Siri travels to the Hmong region, in order to discover the truth behind some more mysterious deaths, and here the novel takes a supernatural turn, which did not personally appeal to me.

Overall, I would say the book was enjoyable, due to the very likeable main characters; the mysteries which Siri tries to solve are of secondary importance. I probably would read more books in this series.

Animal Farm, by George Orwell

7a363b4e032c866597a58615277434d414f4141.jpg

Animal Farm is George Orwell’s famous allegorical tale; a satirical tale about communism and the Russian Revolution.

After the animals on Manor Farm revolt and chase away their tyrannical master, Jones, they decide that from now on, they will work for themselves, and won’t serve any human master. All animals are deemed equal, and each will work according to his capacity, for a just reward. The animals are led by the pig Napoleon (who represents Joseph Stalin), and all are initially happy with their new lives. However, it is not long before the power goes to Napoleon’s head, and things go awry.

It’s a classic for good reason – this book is just brilliant. It’s funny, but carries a stark message about how power can corrupt. It can be read simply as a story about a group of animals who try to take control of their lives, but Orwell’s intent and meaning is very clear for all to read. It also warns of the danger of a lack of education and understanding, and the inability to perceive what is happening.

This book comes in at less than 100 pages, and only takes a couple of hours to read. And it is definitely worth a couple of hours of anyone’s life. Just brilliant, and one of those rare books which I would recommend to everybody.

I'm glad you enjoyed Animal Farm. :) I don't usually count it among my favourite books, but I think it's one of the most perfect books ever written.

Thanks Kylie :) I wish I had read it earlier - I will definitely be reading it again!

On the Beach is going straight to my want-to-read-list, thank you Ruth :)

You're welcome :) I hope you enjoy it.

'Animal Farm' is a great book. I must dig this one out again.

I've put it on my 'keeper' shelf, because I know I will read it again too :)

The Miracle Inspector, by Helen Smith

0956517056.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This story is set in London in the near future; it’s a London that in some ways feels very familiar, but in some ways is scarily different from the London of today. Counties have been partitioned off, and Londoners are effectively trapped in their city. To escape, they have to literally go underground, and risk their lives. Women are not allowed to work – indeed, are not even allowed outside their house unless they are covered with a veil. The fear of paedophilia is so immense that men are frightened of spending time with any child who is not their own, and even then, only with their wife present. Theatre and books are banned, and any kind of culture is considered anarchic, and therefore punishable by the authorities.

Living in the middle of all this are young couple Lucas and Angela. Lucas works for the sinister Ministry, as a Miracle Inspector – his days are spent visiting people who claim to have discovered a genuine miracle, but so far every ‘miracle’ has been a fraud, or the wishful thinking of the claimant. Lucas and Angela make plans to leave London, but it turns out to be much harder than anyone could imagine.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Dystopia is one of my favourite genres, and fans of such books as Nineteen Eighty-Four and The Handmaid’s Tale, would almost certainly enjoy this novel. I found it scarily believable; a world that was all too easy to imagine, where fear of paedophilia and terrorism has curtailed people’s freedom to an extreme level.

It is not spoilerish to say that at one part, Angela finds herself outside London, as a refugee, and the story drew parallels with how asylum seekers are treated in the real world, with mistrust and fear.

The writing is very ‘clean’ – no words are wasted here – and it flows beautifully. The different subplots tie together nicely and despite the subject, there is genuine humour here as well.

Overall, I definitely enjoyed this book, and will be seeking out Helen Smith’s other books. Definitely recommended, especially to fans of dystopian fiction.

Edited by Ruth