~Weave's world of books log 2012~

Weave

Hi Paula :) How are you?

It's good to see lots of reviews again. :)

I enjoyed your reviews of Lindqvist and the Harper Connolly books. I noticed in the review for the 3rd book you mentioned it was the last instalment. Did you know there is a 4th book?

I've been contemplating getting the Walking Dead for my brother. I bought the TV series for him but I'm not sure if he's watched it yet.

It's a shame that the 2nd Beth Revis book wasn't as good as the first. I still haven't read Across the Universe yet. Do you think I should bother with it?

I would read the second book hen, its worth a read, its just was not as good as 'Across The Universe', definitely get The Walking Dead Compendium for your brother, its ace! :)

Wow how did I miss this review Paula? This sounds fantastic !!

Its really good VF, I recommend it highly, you can borrow my copy. :)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Psychic by Margarita Felices ~ Started: 06.06.12 ~ Finished: 06.06.12

Title of Book: The Psychic

Name of Author: Margarita Felices

Kindle Edition

File Size: 1815 KB

ASIN: B0085MKCYE

1.jpg

Synopsis ~

Beryl Parker grew up in the old world of fairgrounds and con artists. After years of wedded bliss with Charlie, they had managed the best con ever! But a year later, Charlie dies, leaving Beryl penniless and in hiding. One day while walking through a local market, she sees a sign for a fortune teller and sits nearby to listen in on what was going on. It was perfect! Such a great scam. It wasn't long before she's set up her own stall and five years later, she's living in a grand Victorian house in the best part of Cardiff. She has money in the bank and takes luxurious holidays. But Beryl should watch out who she reads to, because sometimes they come back for more.

What I thought of 'The Psychic' ~

I enjoyed 'The Psychic' immensely, it was a short story that definitely packed a punch. I loved how much it reminded me of classic horror movies which were not about in your face horror but subtle horror, the kind of horror when you are convinced that there is someone behind you when there is not.

Beryl is a great character to read, she is so confident with her ongoing con and has no qualms about how she makes her money but she sees the error of her ways in the scariest way possible.

A great story, I would love to know what Beryl does next, well worth a read.

Rating: 5/5

I'm Starved For You by Margaret Atwood ~ Started: 06.06.12 ~ Finished: 07.06.12

Title of Book: I'm Starved For You by Margaret Atwood

Name of Author: Margaret Atwood

Kindle Edition

File Size: 259 KB

ASIN: B007HD4YYG

2-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

The gated community of Consilience isn’t your average American town, but in a near future imagined by bestselling author Margaret Atwood (“The Handmaid’s Tale,” “The Year of the Flood”) it may be as close as anyone can hope to get.

Husband and wife Stan and Charmaine are among thousands who have signed up for a new social order because the old one is all but broken. Outside the walls of Consilience, half the country is out of work, gangs of the drug-addicted and disaffected menace the streets, warlords disrupt the food supply, and overcrowded correctional facilities churn out offenders to make room for more.

The Consilience prison, Positron, is something else altogether. The very heart of the community and its economic engine, it’s a bold experiment in voluntary incarceration. In exchange for a house, food, and what the online brochure hails as “A Meaningful Life,” residents agree to spend one month as inmates, the next as civilians, working as guards or whatever’s required.

Stan and Charmaine have no complaints—until the day Stan discovers an erotic note under the fridge of the house he and Charmaine must share with another couple while they’re back inside Positron. It’s a missive of erotic longing, pressed with a vivid lipstick kiss: “I’m starved for you!” it breathes. If Stan rarely thought about the house’s other residents before—they’ve never met them and don’t know their names; it’s not allowed—now he can’t stop thinking about them, especially the note’s sex-addled author, a woman apparently named Jasmine, so unlike his girlish wife, Charmaine. He HAS to meet her, but in this highly ordered and increasingly surveilled world, disorderly thoughts are a risk, and breaking the rules has dire consequences.

The Story ~

'I'm Starved For You' is the story of the gated community of Consilience where people alternatively live in the community for a specific time and then go to prison for a specific time in exchange for food, a home and a better life which sounds all well and good on paper but there is always the need for a connection amongst humans. Stan and Charmaine appeared to have a happy but efficient marriage until Stan discovers a note with the words 'I'm Starved For You' written on it, he believes the note is from he and Charmaine's house counterparts (the couple who live there while Stan and Charmaine are in prison) but Stan finds out there is more to Consilience than he realises.

What I thought of 'I'm Starved For You' ~

I am a massive fan of Margaret Atwood, she is one of my favourite authors, all of her stories are so in-depth you feel like you know the characters and despite the fact that 'I'm Starved For You' is a short story, it left me with the same reaction as all her full novels did, one word ~ brilliant.

Margaret writes about social issues brilliantly which I enjoy, I hope there is a full novel about the gated community of Consilience

Edited by Weave

The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard ~ Started: 07.06.12 ~ Finished: 11.06.12

Title of Book: The Glass Guardian

Name of Author: Linda Gillard

Kindle Edition

File Size: 439 KB

ASIN: B0088CQPOM

TheGlassGuardian.jpg

Synopsis ~

Ruth Travers has lost a lover, both parents and her job. Now she thinks she might be losing her mind.

When death strikes again, Ruth finds herself the owner of a dilapidated Victorian house on the Isle of Skye: "Tigh na Linne", the summer home she shared as a child with her beloved Aunt Janet, the woman she’d regarded as a mother.

As Ruth prepares to put the old house up for sale, she’s astonished to find she’s not the only occupant. Worse, she suspects she might be falling in love again.

With a man who died almost a hundred years ago...

The Story ~

'The Glass Guardian' is the story of Ruth Travers, a woman who has lost many of her loved ones and trying to cope with so much loss as best she can. Following the untimely death of her Aunt Janet, Ruth now finds her the owner of her family home, 'Tigh na Linne', a place where she has always felt safe and loved. Ruth unsure of her future tries to piece her life together but rediscovers an old friendship with a man who will help her find her way if Ruth is willing to take the chance.

What I thought of 'The Glass Guardian' ~

I absolutely adored 'The Glass Guardian', the story was gorgeous with characters you could not help but love. Ruth's loss was told in a sympathetic and realistic way which brought a tear to my eye a few times as I read, as did the relationship between Ruth and Hector, it was so lovely to read, their stories so heartfelt. I loved the description of Ruth's family home 'Tigh na Linne', it sounded so beautiful and tranquil, along with the description of Skye which made me feel proud to be Scottish.

In a lot of ways 'The Glass Guardian' reminds me of another favourite book of mines, 'The Sound of Waves' by Yukio Mishima because of the beautiful love story.

'The Glass Guardian' is definitely my favourite book by Linda Gillard, a story of lost loves, missing chances, facing the inevitable and looking forward to the future.

A story to share.

I have 'The Psychic', 'I'm Starved For You' and 'The Glass Guardian' waiting on my kindle for me, so it's great to know that you rated them so highly! :smile:

Thanks Chrissy, I know you will enjoy them all. :)

Great reviews, Paula! The Last Guardian looks especially like it's right up my alley so I will need to find it ASAP! :D

You will love it I'm sure, I think its only available as a e book hen, you could get the kindle app on your laptop and read it there? :)

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood ~ Started: 11.06.12 ~ Finished: 18.06.12

Title of Book: The Handmaid's Tale

Name of Author: Margaret Atwood

Kindle Edition

File Size: 439 KB

ASIN: B0082BAJA0

3-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

A look at the near future presents the story of Offred, a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead, once the United States, an oppressive world where women are no longer allowed to read and are valued only as long as they are viable for reproduction.

What I thought of 'The Handmaid's Tale' ~

I have read 'The Handmaid's Tale' numerous times and I have enjoyed it every time I have read it, there are aspects to the story I relate to and they do scare me. The character of Offred is a powerful character, her insights in the world of Gilead are fascinating to read. I still have hope for Offred.

You will love it I'm sure, I think its only available as a e book hen, you could get the kindle app on your laptop and read it there? :)

That's good to know! I'll do that and let my mom know too since she has a Kindle. Maybe I can even read it when I'm up there on vacation at the end of the month! :D

So does the author not plan on releasing a printed version?

That's good to know! I'll do that and let my mom know too since she has a Kindle. Maybe I can even read it when I'm up there on vacation at the end of the month! :D

So does the author not plan on releasing a printed version?

I'm not sure hen, there should be one though :)

The Glass Guardian sounds really good. I guess it's only available on the Kindle though.

I think so Andrea but hopefully it will be released in book form. :)

I have read 'The Handmaid's Tale' numerous times and I have enjoyed it every time I have read it, there are aspects to the story I relate to and they do scare me. The character of Offred is a powerful character, her insights in the world of Gilead are fascinating to read. I still have hope for Offred.

The Handmaid's Tale has been hovering near the top of my mind (I can't have a TBR pile, it would be too scary!) to read for quite a few months ago, your review has made me bump it right up again! Thanks, Weave :)

• 3 weeks later...

The Handmaid's Tale has been hovering near the top of my mind (I can't have a TBR pile, it would be too scary!) to read for quite a few months ago, your review has made me bump it right up again! Thanks, Weave :)

You are very welcome hen :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hiroshima by John Hersey ~ Started: 25.06.12 ~ Finished: 26.06.12

Title of book: Hiroshima

Name of Author: John Hersey

Paperback

Number of pages: 208

ISBN~10: 014118437X

ISBN~13: 978-0141184371

5-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

When the first atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima in August 1945, killing 100,000 men, women and children, a new era in human history opened. Written only a year after the disaster, John Hersey brought the event vividly alive with this heartrending account of six men and women who survived despite all the odds. A further chapter was added when, forty years later, he returned to Hiroshima to discover how the same six people had struggled to cope with catastrophe and with often crippling disease. The result is a devastating picture of the long-term effects of one bomb.

What I thought of ‘Hiroshima’

It broke my heart reading ‘Hiroshima’, it was so raw and emotional with stories of such bravery and loss. John Hersey shows the brutality of the bomb and the confusion following that day, the aftermath of the six people who survived that day, how they faced illness, loss and being survivors.

Whatever you think about the bomb being dropped on Hiroshima, this book will definitely give you a lot to think about.

Many years ago I read an account of the Hiroshima bomb and it's aftermath, and it had remained with me for thirty years. Whatever the politics of the time, we are talking about people, about communities and about their devastation.

Some books are important, and regardless of their enjoyment factor, they should be read. Thanks Paula.

Many years ago I read an account of the Hiroshima bomb and it's aftermath, and it had remained with me for thirty years. Whatever the politics of the time, we are talking about people, about communities and about their devastation.

Some books are important, and regardless of their enjoyment factor, they should be read. Thanks Paula.

I agree completely Chrissy. 'Hiroshima' will definitely stay with me.

• 3 weeks later...

The Wind Through The Keyhole: A Dark Tower Novel by Stephen King ~ Started: 18.06.12 ~ Finished: 25.06.12

Title of Book: The Wind Through The Keyhole: A Dark Tower Novel

Name of Author: by Stephen King

Hardback

ISBN~10: 144473170X

ISBN~13: 978-1444731705

4-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

For readers new to The Dark Tower, THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE is a stand-alone novel, and a wonderful introduction to the series. It is a story within a story, which features both the younger and older gunslinger Roland on his quest to find the Dark Tower. Fans of the existing seven books in the series will also delight in discovering what happened to Roland and his ka tet between the time they leave the Emerald City and arrive at the outskirts of Calla Bryn Sturgis.

This Russian Doll of a novel, a story within a story, within a story, visits Mid-World's last gunslinger, Roland Deschain, and his ka-tet as a ferocious storm halts their progress along the Path of the Beam. (The novel can be placed between Dark Tower IV and Dark Tower V.) Roland tells a tale from his early days as a gunslinger, in the guilt ridden year following his mother's death. Sent by his father to investigate evidence of a murderous shape shifter, a "skin man," Roland takes charge of Bill Streeter, a brave but terrified boy who is the sole surviving witness to the beast's most recent slaughter. Roland, himself only a teenager, calms the boy by reciting a story from the Magic Tales of the Eld that his mother used to read to him at bedtime, 'The Wind through the Keyhole'. "A person's never too old for stories," he says to Bill. "Man and boy, girl and woman, we live for them." And stories like these, they live for us.

What I thought of 'The Wind Through The Keyhole' ~

As with all the other Dark Tower books I enjoyed 'The Wind Through The Keyhole' immensely,I loved how the three stories were interwoven and out of the three stories, 'The Wind Through The Keyhole' was my favourite and I would love to read more about Tim Ross, the main character and I have a feeling he will return.

It was also great to read about Roland and his ka-tet of Eddie, Susannah, Jake and Oy again, for me The Dark Tower will always be an epic story.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern ~ Started: 26.06.12 ~ Finished: 11.07.12

Title of book: The Night Circus

Name of Author: Erin Morgenstern

Paperback

Number of pages: 512

ISBN~10: 0099554798

ISBN~13: 978-0099554790

TheNightCircus.jpg

Synopsis ~

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.

Written in rich, seductive prose, this spell-casting novel is a feast for the senses and the heart.

What I thought of ‘The Night Circus’ ~

Wow! What a fantastic book, I loved it from beginning to end and did not want it to end. The story was so rich with the colour and life of the circus and the people who dwell within the circus, also the story of rivalry kept me hooked.

I recommend ‘The Night Circus’ highly.

Olverston Grange and Other Stories by M.Leon Smith ~ Started: 20.07.12 ~ Finished: 21.07.12

Title of book: Olverston Grange and Other Stories

Name of Author: M.Leon Smith

Kindle Edition

ASIN: B008MZ5Q9A

OG.jpg

Synopsis ~

What secrets does the ancient ruin of Olverston Grange hold? A tale of one man's obsession and another man's terror and the horrific truth...

Olverston Grange and Other Stories takes us on a journey through the dark imagination of author M. Leon Smith. Tales of haunted houses, vampires and zombies are joined by vignettes of the life of athletes, wheelchair users and the hen-pecked.

Eighteen previously published short stories and poems are joined by eight brand new pieces!

What I thought of 'Olverston Grange' ~

'Olverston Grange and Other Stories' is a collection of stories which not only enthrall you from start to finish but will also leave a lasting impression, all the stories and poems have a edge to them which gives you an added extra to the reading experience. One of my favourite stories (and it was difficult to chose, so I will say I loved all the stories) was 'Dark Days', for me it was so Cthulhu~esque that if H. P. Lovecraft had been alive today, he would definitely enjoy it, there is nothing like the idea of sinister beings to keep you going.

The story of the title, 'Olverston Grange', the story of a haunted house was great to read, I love Haunted house stories but 'Olverston Grange' has as mentioned an edge to it which I enjoyed.

All in all 'Olverston Grange' is an interesting collection of stories and poems which have a lot of heart in them and show how much the author enjoys writing and how much he has gained from it.

Watch this space for his next book ~ enjoy!

OK, you have made me cave now, and I have finally bought 'The Night Circus'.

Could you stop choosing such good books please? My bank account can't take it! ;)

Sorry hen :giggle:

Wow, Weave !

You have hit a lot of great books right in a row,to give them all 5's . The Hiroshima one sounds like something 'd read. I know it'd be terrible to hear about so much loss and tragedy,but you are right,we need to have those books so there is a record of how devastating things can be ,and hopefully ,they will never happen again .

No one wins in a War. We are all losers .

I also need to try another Atwood book at some point. I've only read Alias Grace ,but have heard great things about her others .

Wow, Weave !

You have hit a lot of great books right in a row,to give them all 5's . The Hiroshima one sounds like something 'd read. I know it'd be terrible to hear about so much loss and tragedy,but you are right,we need to have those books so there is a record of how devastating things can be ,and hopefully ,they will never happen again .

No one wins in a War. We are all losers .

I also need to try another Atwood book at some point. I've only read Alias Grace ,but have heard great things about her others .

Well said Julie :smile: If you get the chance read 'Oryx and Crake' :)

22.11.63 by Stephen King ~ Started: 21.07.12 ~ Finished: 31.07.12

Title of book: 22.11.63

Name of Author: Stephen King

Kindle Edition

ASIN: B005LCYR7Y

221163.jpg

Synopsis ~

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas, President Kennedy died, and the world changed forever.

If you had the chance to change the course of history, would you?

Would the consequences be worth it?

Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students—a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night 50 years ago when Harry Dunning’s father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk.

Not much later, Jake’s friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane—and insanely possible—mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake’s new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake’s life—a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.

Explore the Possibilities...

What I thought of ’22.11.63’ ~

Its only recently I began reading Stephen King books, it took reading ‘Full Dark, No Stars’ to bring me back to his world and I am so glad I did, Stephen King is back!

’22.11.63’ is definitely now one of my favourite Stephen King books, the story is brilliantly told, so intricate in how the story is told, nothing has been missed, the authenticity shines through as Jake goes back in time to stop one of the major events of history. As strange as it sounds, I found it interesting to read about Lee Harvey Oswald, the man, a man who was not particularly likeable, in fact as you read more about him, you really do not understand why he killed the President because there does not seem to be any reason except that Lee Harvey Oswald wanted to be famous, well that’s the impression I got.

’22.11.63’ is a fantastic novel, Stephen King at his very best.

Seed by Ania Ahlborn ~ Started: 29.07.12 ~ Finished: 04.08.12

Title of book: Seed

Name of Author: Ania Ahlborn

Kindle Edition

ASIN: B0073XV3K8

SEED.jpg

Synopsis ~

With nothing but the clothes on his back—and something horrific snapping at his heels—Jack Winter fled his rural Georgia home when he was still just a boy. Watching the world he knew vanish in a trucker’s rearview mirror, he thought he was leaving an unspeakable nightmare behind forever. But years later, the bright new future he’s built suddenly turns pitch black, as something fiendishly familiar looms dead ahead.

When Jack, his wife Aimee, and their two small children survive a violent car crash, it seems like a miracle. But Jack knows what he saw on the road that night, and it wasn’t divine intervention. The profound evil from his past won’t let them die…at least not quickly. It’s back, and it’s hungry; ready to make Jack pay for running, to work its malignant magic on his angelic youngest daughter, and to whisper a chilling promise: I’ve always been here, and I’ll never leave.

Country comfort is no match for spine-tingling Southern gothic suspense in Ania Ahlborn’s tale of an ordinary man with a demon on his back. Seed plants its page-turning terror deep in your soul, and lets it grow wild.

What I thought of ‘Seed’ ~

‘Seed’ was recommended to me on amazon and facebook and the story interested me straight away ~ I love a good supernatural story. Jack is a man with a mysterious past, a past he wants to forget and has found love and solace in his own family, his wife Aimee and his daughters. Jack’s life changes for the worst when he is involved in a car crash, Jack is knows that something ran in front of his car and he knows what it was, something from his past that refuses to go away.

I enjoyed ‘Seed’, a short story that definitely packs a punch, it had a fantastic atmosphere as the story reached its conclusion, you never know what is going to happen next which was great to read. ‘Seed’ also had some genuinely creepy moments, all the moments which I love in supernatural stories and films alike.

Ania Ahlborn is a definitely an author to watch out for.

Rating: 4/5