Steve's Bookshelf 2012

Karsa Orlong

Have you read either Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury or The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood? I'm nearly finished my current book, and they are both contenders for my next read. :smile:

Hi Ooshie sorry to hijack I have read both the above books. In one way they are quite similar in that they are both dystopian visions of the future, although both very different books. Both are very very good. Both of them are books that stay with you long after you finish them. I think The Handmaid's Tale frightened me the most as it seemed totally possible .

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've decided to go with Grass next, as it's been on the shelf the longest. I've not read any Sheri S. Tepper before.

I read a few back in the dawn of time also known as my teenage years. I remember quite enjoying them in fact I might still have a few on my spare bookshelves in the back room, must dig out and have a check through.

Have you read either Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury or The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood? I'm nearly finished my current book, and they are both contenders for my next read. :smile:

I read The Handmaid's Tale last year....definitely enjoyed it

Hi Ooshie sorry to hijack I have read both the above books. In one way they are quite similar in that they are both dystopian visions of the future, although both very different books. Both are very very good. Both of them are books that stay with you long after you finish them. I think The Handmaid's Tale frightened me the most as it seemed totally possible .

I read The Handmaid's Tale last year....definitely enjoyed it

Thanks vodkafan and Sofia, I just need to decide how scared I want to be now! :)

I've added them both to my wishlist. You know - that thing I'm going to look at after I've read everything on my TBR list :doh::giggle2:

I'm meant to buy things off my wish list after I finish reading everything on my TBR? So that's where I've been going wrong :D

I'm meant to buy things off my wish list after I finish reading everything on my TBR? So that's where I've been going wrong :D

Well, that's assuming I'll stick to that. Which I inevitably won't :lol:

I'm already being drawn inexorably towards purchasing James Corey's Leviathan Wakes, cos it sounds too much like my kind of thing to be ignored :blush2:

Oh dear. Well there you go. All my neat, tidy, well-intentioned plans for not buying any books until I'd read at least ten from my tbr list have just disappeared in a puff of Amazon smoke :rolleyes:

I was about to buy Zelazny's 'Chronicles of Amber' when I saw a couple of others in the 'Fantasy Masterworks' series that really appealed to me:

Replay by Ken Grimwood http://www.amazon.co...duct/0575075597

Grendel by John Gardner (2nd hand copy off Marketplace) http://www.amazon.co...28703275&sr=1-1

So 'Chronicles of Amber' remains on the wishlist for now ...

Oh dear. Well there you go. All my neat, tidy, well-intentioned plans for not buying any books until I'd read at least ten from my tbr list have just disappeared in a puff of Amazon smoke :rolleyes:

Karsa

You are such a CARD . :giggle2:

My so called puff of smoke has turned into a raging brush-fire .

My so called puff of smoke has turned into a raging brush-fire .

:lol:

But I was doing quite well - I've read 4 books off the tbr list in the past couple of weeks, and am over halfway through a 5th. Ah well.

And I'm about to buy another book:

The Penguin Book of Norse Myths: Gods of the Vikings by Kevin Crossley-Holland http://www.amazon.co...28704284&sr=1-2

Actually, I might wait a week or two before ordering that one <<ponders>>

Ha ha ha its funy I have a few things on my wish list (I still refuse to call it a TBR list :D ) but inevitably I end up geting something completely different I am now persuading myself that thats because I am saving the WISH list for my hols later in the month.

don't let the list dictate to you, dictate to the list its made to grow like a wild plant :P

A but with the kindle you can live guilt free in the secure knowledge you are not destroying the rainforest....they are books which live in the sky as far as I am concerned and are made of air and thoughts !!!

I wish I could say I am going on holiday with Christian Bale to a sun swept island instead I am going with my mum to visit family but it is in Spain and I do love going with her so not all bad.

Oooh, which part of Spain? :smile:

Very true about the Kindle ... it's only making up about a 3rd of my tbr list at the moment, though, and I seem to have been looking at more paperbacks in the past couple of days, because the books I've been interested in haven't got Kindle versions available, which is pretty inconsiderate of them!

Well I thought making a wishlist at the top of this thread would do the same for me ... but it's failed miserably! Maybe I should just do what I've done up till now and just get whatever takes my fancy - oh wait, that's what I've done anyway :lol:

Well I thought making a wishlist at the top of this thread would do the same for me ... but it's failed miserably! Maybe I should just do what I've done up till now and just get whatever takes my fancy - oh wait, that's what I've done anyway :lol:

Only problem with that is when you finally do get one of your wish list it ends up being better than all the spur of the moment buys and you kick your self :doh:

Its huuuuggggeeee! I can't have wish lists that big, I'm like a kid, I need a sense of achievement when I tick a book off and its more noticable to tick a book off a big list than it is a small one :giggle2:

Ive got a strict criterea for my list haha. So far it has worked though, out of 6 books last month 5 were really really good and one was a load of poop

I spent half an hour on Amazon last night debating whether to get anything of my wish list and ended up getting nothing. In the back of my head all I could hear was 'save it for your holidays' totally uninspired by it at the moment. So this morning I finished one of my tree books instead.

I've been reading a few treebooks recently, too. Finished Grass last night, shall review it soon. Haven't quite made up my mind what to read next - part of me wants to take a break from sf/fantasy, then I look at my tbr list and they're nearly all sf/fantasy :giggle2: