Chaliepud's 2012 Reading Log

chaliepud

frankie, I agree so much on the hoodies - they're so complex to wear when you're older!

Hayley, how old's your daughter? I'm so jealous she likes to read - my 13 yo can't be bothered!

Maddie just turned 11, she's not a prolific reader and mainly reads at bedtime, like most other kids she is distracted easily by electronic devices and is a social bunny that loves spending time with her girlfriends. She has to read at school every day so gets through books quicker due to that... We normally have a Mum and Maddie book on the go to that we read together a few times a week, recently we read The White Giraffe which was a lovely African story and now we are starting Catching Fire (second in The Hunger Games trilogy), we saw the movie last week so are starting with the second book. Michael Morpurgo is definitely her favourite writer though and it's fabulous that he is such a prolific writer as it means she always has a book to read, I think she owns more that 30 of them already!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15. The Report - Jessica Francis Kane

Amazon synopsis -

It is an early spring evening in 1943 when the air-raid sirens wail out over the East End of London. From every corner of Bethnal Green, people emerge from pubs, cinemas and houses, and set off for the shelter of the tube station. But at the entrance steps, something goes badly wrong, the crowd panics, and 173 people are crushed to death.When an enquiry is called for, it falls to the local magistrate, Laurence Dunne, to find out what happened during those few, fatally confused, minutes. But as Dunne gathers testimony from the guilt-stricken warden of the shelter, the priest struggling to bring comfort to his congregation, and the grieving mother who has lost her youngest daughter, the picture grows ever murkier. The more questions Dunne asks, the more difficult it becomes to disentangle truth from rumour - and to decide just how much truth the damaged community can actually bear. It is only decades later, when the case is re-opened by one of the children who survived, that the facts can finally be brought to light...

This is an unusual book in that it is based on true events yet is written as fiction so you are able to follow events as they happen through the chosen characters. I am always interested in the stories of people in Britain during the World Wars and this one was particularly interesting because whilst the disaster would not have happened if war was not going on, it was not considered an act of war. Thankfully the book is not too detailed when dealing with the crush itself but it does speak frankly of the emotions of the people and how they suffered that day and for many of them, for years after.

I can't say it was a book I enjoyed for obvious reasons, but I am glad I read it and it did clarify some questions I had in my mind.

4/5

16. Strangers on the 16:02 - Priya Basil - 2011 Quick Reads

It's a hot, crowded train. Helen Summers is on her way to see her sister Jill to tell her an awful secret. Another passenger, Kerm, is on his way back from his grandfather's funeral.

They are strangers, jammed against each other in a crowded carriage. Noisy school kids fill the train - and three of them are about to cause a whole heap of trouble. In the chaos, Helen and Kerm are thrown together in a way they never expected.

Catching a train? Read Strangers on the 16:02 and you'll never feel the same way about your fellow passengers again.

Hmm, what can I say about this book? Other than the fact that I truly disliked it, not a lot!! It was dull, unbelievable and much of it was written purely to shock the reader in my opinion. I have no problems with open endings as a rule as long there is some idea given as to what may happen to help you formulate thoughts and ideas, this was simply a will he won't he, and the reader truly needed to know yes or no... terrible, and it has left this house quicker than it came in!

1/5 ( and it only got a 1 as I am too nice to give a big fat zero, and I suppose there could be something worse out there somewhere!)

17. The Woman He Loved Before - Dorothy Koomson

Libby has a good life with a gorgeous husband and a home by the sea. But over time she is becoming more unsure if Jack has ever loved her - and if he is over the death of Eve, his first wife. When fate intervenes in their relationship, Libby decides to find out all she can about the man she hastily married and the seemingly perfect Eve. But in doing so she unearths devastating secrets. Frightened by what she finds and the damage it could cause, Libby starts to worry that she too will end up like the first woman Jack loved . . .

I did enjoy this more than Marshmallows for Breakfast, Libby is a much nicer character than Kendra, in fact the characters in The Woman he Loved Before were all much more believable and I did find myself rooting for Libby and Jack! There were a couple of nice twists that kept me interested and whilst not a deep thriller it was thrilling enough for a lightish read. So now, that two out of three books of hers that I have liked, I have The Chocolate Run on my TBR shelf but I will have a break for a while and hopefully get to it later in the year..

4/5

18. Half of the Human Heart - Anthony Quinn

Amazon synopsis -

Summer of 1911. The streets of London ring with cheers for a new king's coronation and the cries of increasingly violent suffragette protests.

Connie Callaway, fired up by the possibilities of independence, wants more than the conventional comforts of marriage. Spirited and courageous, she is determined to fight for 'the greatest cause the world has ever known'.

Will Maitland, the rising star of county cricket, is a man of traditional opinions. He is both intrigued and appalled by Connie's outspokenness and her quest for self-fulfilment.

Buffeted and spun by choice and chance, their lives become inextricably entangled, even as the outbreak of war drives them further apart. This is a deeply affecting story of love against all the odds.

An untypical love story, woven with stories of the Suffragette movement, cricket, wartime and friendships, and full of excellent characterisations. I did so enjoy this (as did my Mum) and have already ordered The Rescue Man by the same author. This wasn't a quick read as it was very descriptive (I like that though if it is written well) and I had to stop trying to speed up to find what was going to happen but very very enjoyable and I would recommend it to anyone that likes a story to weave between characters and viewpoints.

4.5/5

19. The Last Echo - Kimberley Derting

Amazon synopsis -

Violet has always kept her strange ability to sense dead bodies a secret from everyone except her family and best-friend-turned-boyfriend Jay. But now she's using her gift to help track down murderers, working in a group that includes the mysterious and dangerously attractive Rafe. When Violet discovers the body of a college girl murdered by "the girlfriend collector", she is determine to solve the case. But now the serial killer is on the lookout for a new "relationship" and Violet seems to have caught his eye...

The third book in Kimberley Derting's Body Finder series, I think this is the strongest of the 3 so far. In the other 2 we were drawn into Violet's world and the problems she faces due to her 'gift' and her relationships with boyfriend, girlfriends and her family, by book 3 she hits the ground running. It was hard to put down and only took me a few days to read as we were on holiday and I had to keep putting it down, so frustrating! If you like a YA read or you're looking for a good series for your teenage daughter then look no further!

4.5/5

20. Dark Matter - Michelle Paver

January 1937. Clouds of war are gathering over a fogbound London. Twenty-eight year old Jack is poor, lonely and desperate to change his life. So when he's offered the chance to join an Arctic expedition, he jumps at it. Spirits are high as the ship leaves Norway: five men and eight huskies, crossing the Barents Sea by the light of the midnight sun. At last they reach the remote, uninhabited bay where they will camp for the next year. Gruhuken. But the Arctic summer is brief. As night returns to claim the land, Jack feels a creeping unease. One by one, his companions are forced to leave. He faces a stark choice. Stay or go. Soon he will see the last of the sun, as the polar night engulfs the camp in months of darkness. Soon he will reach the point of no return - when the sea will freeze, making escape impossible. And Gruhuken is not uninhabited. Jack is not alone. Something walks there in the dark...

Another excellent book recommended by readers on this forum! At the start I wasn't sure as it seemed very slow, but looking back I realise from the start of the book the author was setting the scene for what was to come later. It is bleak, quiet, spooky and the tension very gradually builds until it reaches the final crescendo, I was so glad that I waited for Steve to be home on leave before I read it as I was left a little shaken after!

4/5

Edited by chaliepud

21. Divergent - Veronica Roth

Amazon synopsis -

She turns to the future in a world that’s falling apart.

For sixteen-year-old Tris, the world changes in a heartbeat when she is forced to make a terrible choice. Turning her back on her family, Tris ventures out, alone, determined to find out where she truly belongs.

Shocked by the brutality of her new life, Tris can trust no one. And yet she is drawn to a boy who seems to both threaten and protect her. The hardest choices may yet lie ahead….

A debut novel that will leave you breathless.

What a fabulous YA read, the best I have read since The Hunger Games and another that could make a great movie. Tris is a great leading character, strong yet vulnerable, caring yet learning very quickly that she must fight if she is to survive... At the beginning of this dystopian novel Tris has to decide which faction she belongs to, based on which she feels will suit her personality best and she faces a tough choice because if she chooses a faction different to that of her parents and brother she may never see them again. I won't say anything else about this book as I don't want to ruin any of it for those that may want to read it at some point, but if you enjoyed The Hunger Games then give this a look, it's an original, exciting and you won't be able to put it dow. The second in the series was released today and dropped on my doormat this morning so I'll be starting it very soon!

5/5

I've just bought Insurgent in audio - I may have to put my current listen on hold to start listening tonight. :)

I'm off to bed now to start it! :smile:

How many books have I just added to my wishlist????? FAR TOO MANY!!!! Looks like you've had some great reads there. :smile2:

Sorry Chesil! We're all conspiring against you! :giggle2:

I've just added The Report - Jessica Francis Kane to my wishlist :)

A friend currently has my copy but you're welcome to it once she has finished, if you're happy with a tree copy of course! :smile: :smile:

22. That Day in September - Artie Van Why

Amazon synopsis -

We all have our stories to tell of where we were the morning of September 11, 2001. This is one of them. In "That Day In September" Artie Van Why gives an eyewitness account of that fateful morning. From the moment he heard "a loud boom" in his office across from the World Trade Center, to stepping out onto the street, Artie vividly transports the reader back to the day that changed our lives and our country forever. "That Day In September" takes you beyond the events of that morning. By sharing his thoughts, fears and hopes, Artie expresses what it was like to be in New York City in the weeks and months following. The reader comes away from "That Day In September" with not only a more intimate understanding of the events of that day but also with a personal glimpse of how one person's life was dramatically changed forever.

This was an okay book and it was interesting to hear the author's perspective on the events of 9/11, but it wasn't quite interesting enough for me. Maybe it's because the market has been saturated with books, TV documentaries and even movies and so much is already known. it was a quick read, not taking much longer than an hour or two and I'm not too disappointed that I read it but I got nothing new from it...

3/5

A friend currently has my copy but you're welcome to it once she has finished, if you're happy with a tree copy of course! :smile: :smile:

Wow thank you such a kind offer :) ill have to see if there is a book that you want in return :D

Wow thank you such a kind offer :) ill have to see if there is a book that you want in return :D

No need Laura, you'll be helping me out! I'll try and catch my friend over the next few days to see if she's read it yet. :smile:

I have acquired a few new books this week, via various sources -

The Wolf (The ecology and behaviour of an endangered species) - L. Davis Mech

The Mill on the Floss - George Eliot (for my book club)

Message in a Bottle - Nicholas Sparks (from a friend)

How I live Now - Meg Rosoff

A Street Cat named Bob - James Bowen (bought because a friend and I met Bob in London a few weeks ago!)

Brass Ring - Diane Chamberlain

The Bolter - Frances Osborne - the story of Idina Sackville, the woman who scandalised 1920's society.

He is a monster frankie, he is so lucky he is cute and cuddly with us or he'd spend a lot of time sleeping in the shed!!

:D But surely it's better that he's a monster and not an apathetic dog, that means that he has character... :giggle: He is very cute indeed, but so are all your dogs :smile2:

The Doorman is a great doggie character and I just loved Ed, move it up that list frankie!!! In fact put it right after Human Traces..

I'd forgotten he had such a cool name for a dog! I wonder why I've never even tried reading the book eventhough I've had it for at least 2 years. I guess I just never remember it when I think of books I ought to read next. I suppose I need to move it up on my list :giggle: Can I put it before Human Traces, because I don't have a copy of that, hehe?

Absolutely we can learn from them, in fact I often see approval or reprimand in my dogs eyes, but only disapproval in the cat's eyes!

Haha :D I love it that you can see that in dogs. Some silly people, the non-dog-lovers and evil dog-owners don't realise how soulful dogs and other animals can be! Oh, I hope you don't mind, but I just have to share with you one of my most favorite dog videos on youtube.

Emma, who is confused. But she's really so clever and deep in thought, trying to figure the thing out.

I love it how she goes to see and smell the cat that it's really there and then goes back to see how on earth the cat can be in a different place, but it can't be touched, or seen in the back and you can't smell the cat.

Oh bless her! Isn't it funny how she can see the cat on the screen, my friend's Cavalier can do that (and will bark at anything animal like on the TV, even the cuddly toy type polar bear in the Bird's Eye advert (do you get that over there? If not google it!) She can be very annoying!) My dogs however cannot see anything, in fact we Skype Steve regularly and they cannot even hear his voice, or his whistle, which is very loud and distinctive, and they know so well, very strange... :smile:

Obi had a lovely long walk today, we left the oldies at home as they are just not coping with long walks anymore :( but it meant we could do a couple of hills, which are not really very big at all but left us both feeling a little :sleeping-smiley-009 as we are just not used to it any more.

One of my most favorite things about dogs (I mean I guess I should say one of the cutest things they can do) is how they tilt their head to one side, then the other, when they are trying to figure something out. I could watch that for hours!

It's definitely intriguing how some dogs are more alert to other animals on TV or computer screens. There are a few other vids of the same Emma, watching over animal videos, and in the other videos there are two Dobermans (?) there as well, but they aren't mesmerized by the computer screen like Emma is, and eventhough they sometimes come and check it out, they don't seem like they are trying to figure it out. They loose interest much more quickly whereas Emma can go on and on :D

I can see how it would get annoying at some point, though, if one's dog recognised other animals on screens and started barking everytime! I googled the Bird's Eye advert, and it wasn't familiar so we obviously don't get that around here (although you wouldn't believe it how many adds on Finnish TV are foreign, and English speaking in particular! It drives me crazy, because I'm just appalled for the sake of the people who don't know any English and should be entitled to have their commercials in their native tongue!). That's so funny that the Cavalier would bark at him, too :D

That's so sad about your dogs not being able to recognise Steve on Skype :( But at least you get to witness some really memorable and tear jerking reunions when Steve comes back on vacation and the doggies can see him again! I've youtubed some vids on soldiers returning home and I always tear up when I see their dogs' reactions :blush:

It's odd that some dogs can see people on screen when others can't, you'd think they'd all be the same! Dylan (black Lab cross) does the head cocking thing, we used to sine a laser ont eh floor which made him do it like Emma, so so cute..

Funnily enough the dogs don't go any madder when Steve comes home after 2 months away than they do after he's been out for an hour, always very enthusiastic!!!

Well it was my birthday today and I was fortunate to get some lovely book presents and with the money gifts I got from family I bought even more books! Now I need to spend more time reading them..... (And not playing on my new iPad!!)

So, I got -

Enduring Love - Ian McEwan

The Blue Door - Lise Kristensen

A Dog 's Purpose - W. Bruce Cameron

When Night Were Cold - Susanna Jones

The Good Father - Noah Hawley

The Light Between Oceans - M.L Steadman

Hollow Pike - James Dawson

The Pink Hotel - Anna Stothard

The Essential Tales of Chekhov - edited by Richard Ford

One Perfect Summer - Paige Toon

15 Seconds - Andrew Gross

I think they will keep me going, though I have an Amazon voucher too, just in case!!!

Can anyone recommend any of them? :-)