Chaliepud's 2012 Reading Log

chaliepud

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not familiar with many cocktails but the closest I know is Sex on the Beach but that also has Vodka in it! Personally I prefer to stick to white wine of mojitos'!! :smile:

Chalie

I'll bet I have you beat when it comes to not being familiar with cocktails . I was TWENTY EIGHT before I TASTED an alcoholic drink .

I went to a wedding with an open bar and ordered a Coke . The bartender asked me why I didnt want a STIFFER drink and I told him I never tried any of them.SO, he proceeds to line cups up the whole way across the bar,and mix one drink at a time to let me taste each one .

The best of the bunch was a Fuzzy Navel .

The worst ? Slow Gin Fizz .

That stuff could clean the grease off your car engine and possibly burn a hole through the metal .

WOW .

Well the legal age for drinking over here is 18 so I wasn't too far off, my parents were pretty strict too but had no idea what I was doing and I wasn't a serious enough drinker to get into trouble, Babycham used to be the drink of choice!!

Wow,Chaalie

Very odd - they used Bambi as the mascot,and an alcoholic drink aimed for women ? Strange .Sounds a little like Koolaid with a little spritz of alcohol tossed in .

I think I'll stick to the Fuzzy Navels. they are quite tasty .

Well the legal age for drinking over here is 18 so I wasn't too far off, my parents were pretty strict too but had no idea what I was doing and I wasn't a serious enough drinker to get into trouble, Babycham used to be the drink of choice!!

Sorry if I'm coming over as a bit of a pedant, but it's a bit more complicated than that! I think I've got this right: 18 is the legal limit for buying alcohol. Over 16 you are allowed to drink alcohol on licensed premises as long as it's served with a meal and, in England and Wales but not Scotland, bought buy an adult. Over 5 you are allowed to drink alcohol at home or at a friend's house with parental permission. It's illegal to give children under 5 alcohol unless medically supervised or in an emergency (can't imagine what).

When I was younger (back in the 70s), I was at boarding school, where we were allowed to join the school bar (we called it 'The Buttery'!) at 17. You were allowed to buy tickets to a certain value (can't remember how much) which could be 'spent' at the bar. It was all very closely supervised. I suspect that might be a no-no nowadays, but we did learn a lot about drinking in moderation. Can't say that Babychams ever featured!!

Edited by willoyd

Yep, a bit of a pedant ;) I don't think I was taking to much note of legal ages, in fact we used to have an Offie attached to the local pub and I could go in there and say whatever I was asking for was for my Dad and they would sell it to me, and that was probably from the age of 13/14, things have changed rather since then! :smile:

Just finished The Night Circus - on my second attempt. It took a while to get into it and I only continued past the 100 page point due to the great reviews on here. I'm very pleased I did as the second half of the book was much better than the first in my opinion. It was a slow moving book and it took me a while to see where it was going and for the magic to be revealed to me, in fact it wasn't until the characters of Marco and Celia were developed, and later those of Poppet and Widget (my favourites) that I really started to be enthralled by the writing. I'll definitely look out for more from the same author in the future.

2 more books to take off my wish list and add to my TBR pile - passed on by a friend so I didn't buy them, and I gave her a couple of books too so they're not taking up any extra space!

A Certain Slant of Light - Laura Whitcomb

The Dive from Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer

Frustratingly only just finished Witch Child (Celia Rees) as I had a 3 day migraine, I thought I'd got rid of them a year or so ago, I've ordered a new supplement recommended in a self help book so hopefully they will help. I need to keep on track if I want to crack 50 books this year!!

Still, am 100+ pages into Me Before You (Jojo Moyes) and very much enjoying it, a light read with depth, just what I need. :smile:

Hi Chalie

Sounds like you are making some good deals to trade 2 books for 2 books, that way you aren't going overboard, right ?

I've heard good things about Claussen's Pier but havent read it .

So sorry to hear about your migraine. Those things are AWFUL . Had them my whole life .

Frustratingly only just finished Witch Child (Celia Rees) as I had a 3 day migraine, I thought I'd got rid of them a year or so ago, I've ordered a new supplement recommended in a self help book so hopefully they will help. I need to keep on track if I want to crack 50 books this year!!

Still, am 100+ pages into Me Before You (Jojo Moyes) and very much enjoying it, a light read with depth, just what I need. :smile:

I hope that you're feeling better now. 50 books is quite a target to reach, good luck! :smile:

Hi Chalie

Sounds like you are making some good deals to trade 2 books for 2 books, that way you aren't going overboard, right ?

I've heard good things about Claussen's Pier but havent read it .

So sorry to hear about your migraine. Those things are AWFUL . Had them my whole life .

I have had Clausen's Pier on my wish list for ages was very happy to get a copy of it, it's a lot bigger than I thought so I hope it's a good story!

Migraines are a complete nuisance, I'm having up to 3 a month at the mo and I'm not sure why, I have prescription meds that help but still puts me right out for 3 days at a time, hopefully these new supplements will help...

I hope that you're feeling better now. 50 books is quite a target to reach, good luck! :smile:

All better now thanks Karen. :smile: I'm on my 4th book of 50 so optimistic as long as my mojo sticks with me! :readingtwo:

Chalie

Yes, I just recently got to go to a neurologist for the first time and I feel really hopeful that he will help me. He has also suffered migraines his whole life,so it kinda helps if he has them and knows what it feels like . He has ordered me a new med which works well. It doesn't totally eliminate the migraine ,but hits it hard enough that I can manage . It does make me very sleepy and unable to drive when taking it,so that is a problem, but I'd much rather feel like that,than to have those killer headaches .

What type supplements are you taking, if you don't mind me asking ? My new doc has asked me to start taking some different vitamin/herbal type things too,but so far I haven't taken any . I'm on a lot of medication,which all have side effects, so I try to keep it down as much as possible and not take any more than necessary .

Hope you start feeling better .

I'm currently on triptans which I take once headache starts but they make me a bit drowsy and sick, not great with kids to take care of but as you say better than the headache! I've been researching different complementary therapies and have ordered some 5-HTP which is cited to increase seratonin levels. There are lots of mentions of it on the internet, I think this is a US site - http://5htp.com/

It is also said to help with other problems, including PMS, which would also be a great help as I do believe many of my migraines are hormone related.

Edited by chaliepud

Hi Chalie

Thanks for the website. I have been on many drugs that contain Serotonin, trying to prevent the migraines from coming. They have all made me really sick -- nausea, feeling very wobbly and just bad all over . Also they tend to leave this contstant taste in my mouth,kind of a cross between baby lotion and vaseiline. Just hideous.

Maybe if you try something that is a natural type drug it may not do that. The ones they have ordered for me are anti-seizure and anti-depressant meds . I hated taking them ,because they are scarey when you don't have those diseases, but you are taking drugs for them .

I know this sounds really odd, but it seems like my body NEEDS to have a migraine once in awhile, kinda like a pressure relief valve when things get too overwhelming,this releases all the pent up worry,etc.

The neurologist gave me a whole page of things which trigger migraines which I never even knew ,so it has also helped somewhat .

Definitely hormones would be a factor in them too .

5HTP regulates seratonin levels but I don't think it actually contains it so hopefully it will be okay... I have a book that lists possible triggers too so it's made me rethink my diet so that can't be a bad thing. I'm really pinning a lot of hopes on this supplement as otherwise I've got to make an appointment with a neurologist too :(

Just finished Me Before You by Jojo Moyes, a definite 4.5/5 for me, I couldn't stop reading it, I read till 12.45 last night and 12 tonight to finish it. It was a beautiful story, quite different to anything I've read before, uplifting yet heart rending, so well done, I can see why the author was chosen for the Richard and Judy book club. Highly recommended and takes by 2012 total to 4 so far.

Next I'm going to read a library book I ordered months ago, Maine by Courtney Sullivan, it only came yesterday and I can't wait to get started! :readingtwo:

Just finished Me Before You by Jojo Moyes, a definite 4.5/5 for me, I couldn't stop reading it, I read till 12.45 last night and 12 tonight to finish it. It was a beautiful story, quite different to anything I've read before, uplifting yet heart rending, so well done, I can see why the author was chosen for the Richard and Judy book club. Highly recommended and takes by 2012 total to 4 so far.

This sounds great, I might have to add it to the wishlist. As for the migraine I hope you're feeling better now. :friends0:

Edited by Ben