Tunn 300's 2012 Reading Log

tunn300

Well it's nearly 2012 and I thought it best to set up my 3rd ever reading blog. Since joining this forum my reading has diversified so much and that is what I love about it. Just browsing other people's blogs sets me off on such different tangents to what I used to read. My reading tastes have definitely changed as in 2011 my top 3 books of the year included no crime books!! Anyway here are the pre-2012 (and some pre-2011) books and ebooks I shall try to read this year.

Pre-2012 Books

The Prophecy - Chris Kuzneski

Sword of God - Chris Kuzneski

Six Suspects - Vikas Swarup

The Devil's Punchbowl - Greg Iles

Belfast Confidential - Colin Bateman

Orpheus Rising - Colin Bateman

The Horse With my Name - Colin Bateman

In the Woods - Tanya French

Double Whammy - Carl Hiaasen

Tourist Season - Carl Hiaasen

The Rapture - Liz Jensen

Cutting for Stone - Abraham Verghese

Brixton Beach - Roma Tearne

Count to Ten - Karen Rose

Darkhouse - Alex Barclay

Life Expectancy - Dean Koontz

The Caller - Alex Barclay

In the Dark - Mark Billingham

Grave Sight - Charlaine Harris

The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards

Child 44 - Tom Rob Smith

The Pirate's Daughter - Margaret Cezair-Thompson

Twilight - Stephenie Meyer

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

Wish You Were Here - Mike Gayle

Bloodline - Mark Billingham

The Twilight Time - Karen Campbell

Down River - John Hart

Club Dead - Charlaine Harris

Dead to the World - Charlaine Harris

Dead As A Doornail - Charlaine Harris

All Together Dead - Charlaine Harris

Definitely Dead -Charlaine Harris

From Dead to Worse - Charlaine Harris

Labyrinth - Kate Mosse

Death Trip - Lee Weeks

Too Close To Home - Linwood Barclay

Shatter - Michael Robotham

The Drowning Man - Michael Robotham

The Crucifix Killer - Chris Carter

Heartsick - Chelsea Cain

Sweetheart - Chelsea Cain

The Swan Thieves - Elizabeth Kostova

Have a Little Faith - Mitch Albom

One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night - Christoper Brookmyer

Blood at the Bookies - Simon Brett

The Angels Game - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Fingersmith - Sarah Waters

Two Caravans - Marina Lewycka

The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

The Fry Chronicles - Stephen Fry

Skippy Dies - Paul Murray

Pre-2012 ebooks

My **** Life so Far - Frankie Boyle

The Trophy Taker - Lee Weeks

Splinter - Sebastian Fitzek

The Hanging Shed - Gordon Ferris

Moab is my Washpot - Stephen Fry

The Leopard - Jo Nesbo

The Blasphemer - Nigel Farndale

Playing the Game - Simon Gould

Ordinary Thunderstorms - William Boyd

Let The Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist

Nemesis - Jo Nesbo

Afterwards - Rosamund Lupton

May I Have Your Attention Please - James Cordon

Look at Me - Jennifer Egan

Back of Beyond - C.J. Box

The White Tiger - Aravind Adiga

The Dogs of Rome - Conor Ftzgerald

The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

Darkside - Belinda Bauer

Although nowhere near as long as many other TBR piles on here, still a reasonable amount to get through, especially at my current 30-40 books a year reading pace. I won't try to make the bold claim like last year that I will not buy many books this year as I just know I can't stick to it thanks to recommendations on here.

Edited by tunn300

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This post will detail the inevitable books I acquire in 2012 and when I purchased them.

2012 ebooks purchased

The Calling of the Grave - Simon Beckett (February)

The Sealed Letter - Emma Donoghue (March)

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Colins (March)

Catching Fire - Suzanne Colins (May)

Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins (May)

2012 books purchased

Carte Blanche - Jeffery Deaver (June)

2012 library loans

The Sisters Brothers - Patrick DeWitt (February)

Star Island - Carl Hiaasen (March)

The Report - Jessica Francis Kane (March)

Capital - John Lanchester (April)

Edited by tunn300

Books read in 2010 - 30 (on BCF can be found here)

Books read in 2011 - 39 (on BCF can be found here)

Books read in 2012 - 11

[Kindle eBooks - 6 Paperbacks - 1 Library Books - 4]

January

Darkside - Belinda Bauer 8/10

The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman 9/10

February

Shatter - Michael Robotham 9/10

March

The Sisters Brothers - Patrick DeWitt 9/10

Star Island - Carl Hiaasen 8/10

April

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins 9/10

May

Capital - John Lanchester 8/10

June

Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins 9/10

July

August

The Prisoner of Heaven - Carlos Ruiz Zafon 8/10

September

October

Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins 8/10

Finders Keepers - Belinda Bauer 9/10

Edited by tunn300

As I have never attempted a challenge before I thought this year I would give one a go. I have decided to join Poppy and a few others in reading the books selected for the 2012 World Book Night. Hopefully this will also help me achieve another goal I have this year which is to read at least one classic. Have not read any of these since high school and think it is high time to give one a go.

Read so far - 19/100

1 To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

2 Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

3 The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

4 Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

5 The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

6 The Lord of the Rings - J. R. R. Tolkien

7 The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

8 Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte

9 Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier

10 The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

11 American Gods - Neil Gaiman

12 A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

13 Harry Potter Adult Hardback Boxed Set - J. K. Rowling

14 The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

15 The Hobbit J.R.R. Tolkien

16 One Day -David Nicholls

17 Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks

18 The Help - Kathryn Stockett

19 Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell

20 Good Omens - Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

21 The Notebook - Nicholas Sparks

22 The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson

23 The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

24 The Great Gatsby - F.Scott Fitzgerald

25 Little Women - Louisa M. Alcott

26 Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden

27 The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold

28 Atonement - Ian McEwan

29 Room - Emma Donoghue

30 Catch-22 - Joseph Heller

31 We Need to Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver

32 His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman

33 Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Louis de Bernieres

34 The Island - Victoria Hislop

35 Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman

36 The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver

37 The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger

38 Chocolat - Joanne Harris

39 Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro

40 The Five People You Meet in Heaven - Mitch Albom

41 One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

42 Animal Farm - George Orwell

43 The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett

44 The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde

45 Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy

46 Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl

47 I Capture the Castle - Dodie Smith

48 The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks

49 Life of Pi - Yann Martel

50 The Road - Cormac McCarthy

51 Great Expectations - Charles Dickens

52 Dracula - Bram Stoker

53 The Secret History - Donna Tartt

54 Small Island - Andrea Levy

55 The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett

56 Lord of the Flies - William Golding

57 Persuasion - Jane Austen

58 A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving

59 Notes from a Small Island - Bill Bryson

60 Watership Down - Richard Adams

61. Night Watch - Terry Pratchett

62 Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

63 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon

64 Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke

65 The Color Purple - Alice Walker

66 My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult

67 The Stand - Stephen King

68 Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

69 The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov

70 Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

71 Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons

72 Frankenstein - Mary Shelley

73 The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer

74 The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

75 Gone with the Wind - Margaret Mitchell

76 The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

77 The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins

78 The princess Bride - William Goldman

79 A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth

80 Perfume - Patrick Suskind

81 The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

82 The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy

83 Middlemarch - George Eliot

84 Dune - Frank Herbert

85 Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel

86 Stardust - Neil Gaiman

87 Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov

88 Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie

89 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J. K. Rowling

90 Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts

91 The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro

92 Possession - A.S. Byatt

93. Tales of the City - Armistead Maupin

94 Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami

95 The Magus - John Fowles

96 The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - John Boyne

97 A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry

98. Alias Grace - Margaret Atwood

99 Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami

100 The Wind-up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami

Edited by tunn300

I am now done setting up my lists for this year and declare my thread officially open. Reading goals this year:

1. To read at least 45 books - 8 so far
  2. To read at least one book a month and not have any blank months on my Reading blog. (I got down to 2 blank months last year) - On track
  3. To read at least 1 classic novel
  4. To try and read at least 10 books for the World Book Night Challenge - 1 so far
  5. To reduce my TBR pile of paperbacks - 1 read
  6. To try and not buy as many books - 8 read 5 purchased

I am looking forward to a good year of reading and hope to discover some excellent books this year!

Edited by tunn300

The very best of luck with your reading goals in 2012 Tunn :smile: I'll be popping in here often .. you read the sort of books I love.

Thanks Poppy, I will also regularly be popping into your thread too. Good luck with your reading next year!!

Best of luck for the reading year ahead Tunn, hope you have a good one. :smile2:

Thanks Ben and good luck for you too. Reading your thread it sounds like you have plenty of reading ahead of you in 2012.

Edited by tunn300

So my first read of the year (although I actually started it on 30 December) is Darkside by Belinda Bauer. This author first came to my attention 2 years ago as she was one of the authors chosen for the first series of the TV Book Club. I read the book in February 2010 and gave it a 6. I found some of the plot points a bit far fetched and the characters a bit one dimensional but did think there was enough there to make me read her future work. Well this is the authors second book and I am currently about 40% in and really enjoying it so far. I think the main two characters in this novel have a lot more depth than the two of the first book. It is again set in the same are of the country as the first book and Steven, the main character from book 1, has made a couple of brief appearances.

I hope to finish this over the bank holiday weekend and will post my thoughts on it when I do.

Darkside - Belinda Bauer

51%2BCVV8uu4L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-47,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

Shipcott in bleak mid-winter: a close knit community where no stranger goes unnoticed. So when an elderly woman is murdered in her bed, village policeman Jonas Holly is doubly shocked. How could someone have killed and left no trace?Jonas finds himself sidelined as the investigation is snatched away from him by an abrasive senior detective. Is his first murder investigation over before it’s begun? But this isn’t the end of it for Jonas, because someone in the village is taunting him, blaming him for the tragedy, and watching every move he makes...

Review

As stated in the previous post this is the authors second book and follow up to her critically acclaimed novel Blacklands for which she won crime novel of the year.

The story is again set around Exmoor and Steven, one of the central characters from the first book, makes several appearances in this book too. The plot centers around the fact that people who are burden on others, like the old, are being murdered. Jonas Holly is the local policeman but soon realises that he is out of his depth and calls in reinforcements from a neighboring town. We then follow the investigation through the eyes of Holly, Marvel (the lead inspector) and Reynolds (his deputy) with the narrator being constantly switched between them. This allows us to get a deeper understanding of their feelings and what motivates them. One of my criticisms of the first book was that I felt the characters were one dimensional and I think that is something that has certainly been improved upon in this book. Marvel is your typical lead inspector and rules in a dictator like fashion that makes him unpopular with all the other officers.

As the killings begin to mount up the police become increasingly confused about the possible identity of the killer. The plot is well drawn out and there are clues to their eventual identity well before the end. I had a fair idea but could not be certain until the final two chapters. The book is set into each chapter being a day and we count down from 23 days to go till the actual day which I think helps build suspense.

I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to others. It is not crucial to have read her first novel before reading this as the story of Steven is touched upon in this book too. I preferred it greatly to her first work and am glad I gave this author another chance. She has just released her third book, again set around the moors, and I look forward to reading it when the price drops with the release of the paperback later this year.

8/10

So my first book of the year is done and it was a good way to ease myself into my reading this year. I have already started book 2 and am 30% through it. I have selected 'The Graveyard Book' by Neil Gaiman as it was something I had purchased on the run up to Christmas and is also on the 2012 World Book Night list.

I am really enjoying it so far, much more than I had anticipated when I read the blurb. In all honesty I only bought it as it was a Kindle Daily deal for 99p and I had heard many people on here comment so positively about it. Yet again this forum has led me to a new author and genre I would not have approached before.

I have Blacklands and Darkside on my TBR pile, and will hopefully get to both soon. Your review of Darkside has made sure that I stick with the first one if I feel the same way about it as you do, as a stepping stone to this one.

I have read and enjoyed The Graveyard Book a few times, and although somewhat macabre at times, I love Neil Gaiman's writing, and can definitely recommend some of his other books (Neverwhere, American Gods etc).

I have Blacklands and Darkside on my TBR pile, and will hopefully get to both soon. Your review of Darkside has made sure that I stick with the first one if I feel the same way about it as you do, as a stepping stone to this one.

I hope you enjoy them Chrissy. Whilst for me the first one had flaws it was certainly an enjoyable read and many others rated very highly. Darkside was a very enjoyable book and would like to hear your thoughts about it once you have read it.

I have read and enjoyed The Graveyard Book a few times, and although somewhat macabre at times, I love Neil Gaiman's writing, and can definitely recommend some of his other books (Neverwhere, American Gods etc).

I am a real fan of Gaiman's writing thus far and really like how each chapter of 'The Graveyard Book' is like it's own short story in Bod's life. Will certainly be reading more of his work so thanks for your recommendations. 'Neverwhere' is also on the World Book Night 2012 list.

Edited by tunn300

Happy reading in 2012 :)

Many thanks Lopeanha!! I hope you have a great year of reading too!!

You must read Neverwhere Tunn ... it's fabulous. Glad you are enjoying The Graveyard Book .. Neil is such a great storyteller.

Poppy you are already tempting me to break one of my reading goals of 2012 and go out and buy a book. :smile: I think I probably will have to though as I really am enjoying Gaiman's writing. Luckily I still have some of my Amazon voucher left which I can use to get it. Technically I think that shouldn't count as me buying a book.

Well I am continuing to work through 'The Graveyard Book' but my reading has been limited this week due to the fact that I have moved house!!

My wife and I, after lots and lots and lots of saving, have finally managed to get our first step onto the property ladder. So most of this week has been spent packing boxes and insisting that even though I have a kindle I do still want to take all my books with me.

We picked up the keys yesterday and we are now about half way through the moving in process, so it could be a little while before I get to finishing this book.

Well I am continuing to work through 'The Graveyard Book' but my reading has been limited this week due to the fact that I have moved house!!

My wife and I, after lots and lots and lots of saving, have finally managed to get our first step onto the property ladder. So most of this week has been spent packing boxes and insisting that even though I have a kindle I do still want to take all my books with me.

We picked up the keys yesterday and we are now about half way through the moving in process, so it could be a little while before I get to finishing this book.

Congrats on the new house, may you and your wife have many happy times living there :smile2: And of course you want and need to have all your books with you, IMO that goes without saying! How's the new library coming along? Are you taking your bookcases with you, and/or are you having to invest in new ones? I hope you have fun organizing your bookcases :)

Edit: Oops! I almost forgot: Merry reading in 2012! :friends3:

Edited by frankie

Congratulations on your new home, Tunn!

I'm looking forward to reading your reviews; we have quite similar tastes.

I'm not planning on doing any 'official' challenges this year, but I noticed that I've read or own a large percentage of the books on the World Book Night list, so I might consider it a long-term challenge.

Happy reading! :)

Thanks for all the many messages about my new home! After a couple of weeks of decorating and having to have a new boiler fitted (damn) it is starting to feel like home. Now I just need to get those shelves put up and my books onto them. Have managed to finish 'The Graveyard Book' yesterday although it has taken much longer than I would have expected thanks to the move.

The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

51k3QJuzGeL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-34,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

When a baby escapes a murderer intent on killing the entire family, who would have thought it would find safety and security in the local graveyard?

Brought up by the resident ghosts, ghouls and spectres, Bod has an eccentric childhood learning about life from the dead. But for Bod there is also the danger of the murderer still looking for him - after all, he is the last remaining member of the family.

A stunningly original novel deftly constructed over eight chapters, featuring every second year of Bod's life, from babyhood to adolescence. Will Bod survive to be a man?

Review

I picked this book up a couple of months ago when it was in the Kindle daily deals for 99p. I had heard a lot about the author and thought it was worth a try even though it is not a genre I usually read. The book is also in the World Book Night challenge I am trying to read some of this year.

The book follows the story of Bod who at the start of the book becomes an orphan as all of his family are killed. Bod, who is only a toddler, manages to escape and finds his way to a graveyard. When there he is adopted by the residents (deceased) that inhabit that graveyard. The story then follows Bod as he grows up in the graveyard and we learn more and more about this other world that exists parallel to our own. The story builds to detail why Bod's family were killed and why he will also still remain a target.

I found the book captivating and thought that the situations Gaiman managed to create were excellent. The many types of creature we are introduced to throughout the book are all well thought out and intriguing. As the story built towards its conclusion and the narration was split between Bod and his guardian Silas the suspense has me hooked.

Overall I really enjoyed Gaiman's style of writing and will read more of his work. I recommend this book as a great example of this genre and it has certainly made me more open to reading other books within it.

9/10

Wishing you and your wife every happiness in your new home Tunn :smile: A new boiler .. isn't that just typical! Hope you didn't have to go without heat or hot water in this weather. Get those shelves up ... it will really look like home then.

Love your review of The Graveyard Book :smile: It's such a great book.