Jenny's Brave New Booklist 2012

Hyzenthlay

Okay. Introductory post. Well I've tried doing these type topics twice before, and both times turned to nothing, more or less. I rather liked the happy place with the cabin and whatnot, but it disappeared in the myriad of active and wonderful topics that are going on here, and I never searched for it to post another update. Sorry about that. I'm bad with follow-up.

But this time I want to catalogue what I've read and what I want to read 2012.

I'm home for Christmas right now, and - would you believe it - NOBODY gave me books! Isn't that just shocking? Don't these people know me? It's always a bit of a weird experience being home. It's so great at first, because I feel so safe (like a child), but of course everything is not perfect and eventually I am disillusioned (by anything - a fight usually), and then I just want to run away. Even though home is great, I still want to escape from here.

So here I am, holed up in my old room, staring at mostly empty walls and sitting on bedsheets that aren't mine. Didn't I even leave a mark here? This place is so sterile. All my things are tucked away in an attic. Even my Harry Potter poster is gone. Where are my nicks and nacks? I don't feel at home. I feel like a prop. Right on cue, teenage angst is coming back to haunt me. Time to start listening to Breaking Benjamin and Alexisonfire.

But nevermind that. Sorry about that. I ramble when I'm angsty.

About book wish lists and reading lists:

The truth is, I've never done these. I've picked up books at random or by recommendation, but I've never kept track. I've never systematically worked my way through any kind of reading list, but rather read when I've felt like it, which usually has been fairly often. Sometimes, I become obsessed with finding a book (Boy's Life and The Many-Coloured Land spring to mind), and then I search and search for it.

I'm going to try to keep track of where the books I want to read are from, this year. Which country, that is. Be interesting.

Let's get to readin'!

BOOKS I WANT TO READ: (finished are underlined, current reads in bold)

1. "The Many-Coloured Land" by Julian May (in progress)

2. "Wuthering Heights" by Charlotte Bronte

3. "One hundred years of solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marques

4. "The Wandering Fire" - The Fionavar Tapestry book 2 by Guy Gavriel Kay (re-read)

5. "The Darkest Road" - The Fionavar Tapestry book 3 by Guy Gavriel Kay (re-read)

6. "The Lions of Al-Rassan" by Guy Gavriel Kay

7. "A Song for Arbonne" by Guy Gavriel Kay

8. "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" by Amy Chua

9. "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien (re-read)

10. "Alice's adventures in Wonderland" by Lewis Carol

FAVOURITES THIS YEAR:

Edited by Hyzenthlay

• 2 weeks later...

"The Wandering Fire" - by Guy Gavriel Kay

The Fionavar Tapestry book 2 of 3

Synopsis from amazon.co.uk:

This is the second book in the Fionavar trilogy. It finds the evil Rakoth threatening the existence of Fionavar. To stop him, Kimberly Ford and her companions from Earth must summon the Warrior. But desperate measures can have desperate consequences when curses and prophecies are involved.

My opinion:

A beautiful trilogy. It's the third time I am reading through it, and it is still as intricate and wonderful as ever. The characters are real and compelling, the heroes are heroic, the sacrifices big. If I have any critique at all I'd say there are not enough character flaws - all of their weaknesses are too smooth, too cleverly explained. Still, I believe the world of Fionavar is complex enough to match other epic fantasy works, and yet the author has somehow managed the incredible feat of keeping the books short enough. I have a hard time putting these down. Not to mention the use of language is beautiful - it has flow and rhythm, which is important to me.

Edited by Hyzenthlay

A beautiful trilogy. It's the third time I am reading through it, and it is still as intricate and wonderful as ever. The characters are real and compelling, the heroes are heroic, the sacrifices big. If I have any critique at all I'd say there are not enough character flaws - all of their weaknesses are too smooth, too cleverly explained. Still, I believe the world of Fionavar is complex enough to match other epic fantasy works, and yet the author has somehow managed the incredible feat of keeping the books short enough. I have a hard time putting these down. Not to mention the use of language is beautiful - it has flow and rhythm, which is important to me.

This sounds like a great fantasy trilogy to take a look at - think I might add it to my wishlist.

Also best of luck with your 2012 reading. :friends0:

• 2 months later...

Hello :)

I've been doing some reading despite my horrid updating. I can't even remember everything. But, I bought a new (old) book at the used book market in St. Andrews, Scotland. I was there visiting a friend and I came across this beauty:

IMG_0686

Apparently it doesn't work to img it? Strange..

Anyway, isn't it gorgeous?! It's perfect because the condition is so good, it was so cheap, and I think it's beautiful. :)

I'm one page in.

I've read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, a couple of Guy Gavriel Kay novels and Alice's adventures in Wonderland since we last spoke. Plus I'm sure there's a couple more that I just can't recall right now...

BH of the TM was pretty interesting. I do enjoy a bit of child psychology. Plus, I kind of agree that children should be driven to perform their best.

What an interesting list!

I've only read The Hobbit on it(!)

It's 5 star book for me and I try and read it at least once a year.

Hope you enjoy Bilbo's adventures too! Will look out for your review. :smile:

Hello :)

I've been doing some reading despite my horrid updating. I can't even remember everything. But, I bought a new (old) book at the used book market in St. Andrews, Scotland. I was there visiting a friend and I came across this beauty:

http://www.flickr.co...N05/6817652366/

Apparently it doesn't work to img it? Strange..

Anyway, isn't it gorgeous?! It's perfect because the condition is so good, it was so cheap, and I think it's beautiful. :)

I'm one page in.

I've read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, a couple of Guy Gavriel Kay novels and Alice's adventures in Wonderland since we last spoke. Plus I'm sure there's a couple more that I just can't recall right now...

BH of the TM was pretty interesting. I do enjoy a bit of child psychology. Plus, I kind of agree that children should be driven to perform their best.

Oh, it looks lovely! I love this type of editions for books, it's like they're even better!

What an interesting list!

I've only read The Hobbit on it(!)

It's 5 star book for me and I try and read it at least once a year.

Hope you enjoy Bilbo's adventures too! Will look out for your review. :smile:

Thanks :) ! If you like fantasy I can absolutely recommend Guy Gavriel Kay :) Just to restore my good name in the fantasy world: I've read the Hobbit several times, I just really love re-reading and the movie's coming up so I feel like it should be on there.

Anisia: I've got pictures up on flickr of the inside of the book too, which comes with illustrations for each chapter! It's really lovely (exquisite?)!

Just to restore my good name in the fantasy world: I've read the Hobbit several times, I just really love re-reading and the movie's coming up so I feel like it should be on there.

Oh - woo-ops! (Where's the foot-in-mouth smilie when you need one?)

Will store Guy Gavriel Kay in memory, and look out for them.