• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't Shoot! I'm Just The Avon Lady - Birdie Jaworski

51593YRZsDL._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-43,22_AA300_SH20_OU08_.jpg

Started - 5/8/12

Finished - 12/8/12

Format - Kindle e-book

Synopsis - For Birdie Jaworski, life as an Avon Lady was a bittersweet mix of embarking on gossip-worthy adventures, searching for Mr. Right, and making emergency lotion requests in the middle of the night... while managing as a single parent.

Birdie hawks Avon at a strip club, a bowling alley on Men's League Night, and of course door-to-door. She meets customers who answer the door naked, who want to buy wrinkle cream for their pet monkey, or who are harboring dark - and funny - secrets. She even sells Avon to celebrities who want to keep their zits a secret!

The book reveals a surprising and touching account of her personal life when Catholic Charities calls her and tells her the daughter she gave up for adoption is now an adult and wants to meet her. This book follows Birdie's journey during one summer while she decides whether to meet her daughter while selling Avon cosmetics door-to-door. A funny and beautifully touching read.

My Thoughts - I downloaded this book because it was free on the kindle store for a day. My mother in law did Avon for a bit and i thought it would be a good idea to read this book and have a bit of a comparison.

This book is about Birdie Jaworski and her life. She has two young sons, a single parent and is trying to sell Avon. There is also a side plot to the book, she gave up a daughter for adoption many years ago.

I did try to get into the book and really did try to like it, but i just couldnt. I didnt really like all the name dropping of the Avon products. One or two would have been ok, but it seemed to be every other page at times and i just didnt like it much. It felt like i was reading an avon book at times.

I did like parts with her sons, i did find out lots about the author through this. I particually liked the part when they adopted a pig and the havoc that this caused.

I would have liked more focus on her daughter that she gave up for adoption. At times it felt like the avon side come before this. While i found out a fair bit of information about the situation she was put in, i would have liked more of a focus on this part.

It is a memoir, and it comes across in that way. It was a little disjointed at times and i would have liked it to flow a bit better. I suppose if you are an avon lady you might enjoy this, but unfortunatly i just didnt. I ended up skimming parts too.

Rating - 2/5

Great review of Dracula Laura :)I agree with you .. everyone should read it.

Thank you :) My mum is on holiday near to Whitby and has just brought me a 'paper copy' from there as i was going on about it so much. Its such a fantastic book that i already want to read it again :)

Shrinkage - Luke Young

413pDHViywL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-17,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Started - 12/8/12

Finished - 19/8/12

Format - Kindle e-book

Synopsis - Is it in yet? It's the phrase that no man ever wants to hear. Luckily, Tim Garrett has never heard those words. At least he has never heard them out loud despite being on the wrong side of the bell curve in the male endowment department.

It has taken many years, but Tim has finally come to terms with being slightly below average below the belt. His life isn't bad, he doesn't hate his job, his girlfriend Jill is hot and doesn't seem to mind his physical attribute. Things are good. That is, until the day Jill dumps him and his world comes crashing down around him.

That's when Tim decides to make some changes in his life; big changes. When a bizarre mixture of pills combined with a not-as-directed, inventive use of an electronic device prove incredibly successful, Tim's life begins to change for the better both in and out of the bedroom. But when things grow a little too much, everything spins out of control and the words be careful what you wish for begin to take on an entirely new meaning.

SHRINKAGE is a somewhat raunchy and completely funny comedy, which is intended for contemporary mature audiences only. (Whatever the hell that means...)

My Thoughts - I downloaded this book as it was free for a day on Amazon and after reading the synopsis i thought it might be a book that i would enjoy. Before i start to say what i thought of this book ill just say that it is not a book for the faint hearted, its a book about the age old male question, does size really matter?

This book is about Tim, a man who isnt as average as he would like, and after being dumped by a girlfriend because of it he takes matters into his own hands. Using a combination of pills and other methods he tries to improve himself. But will he get the results that he wants? and will it really make him happy.

I liked the plot to this book, it was very funny in parts and very rude too, but with a book with this subject matter i felt that it was justified. I also liked the little side plots particually with Tims parents and also with Rob. I also liked the sub plot with the houses on the street, i felt like this part of the book added a bit more normality to it.

I'm not sure if i was the intended target audience for this book, being a twenty two year old female, i did wonder if it was more aimed at the male gender, but in fairness i did enjoy the book. Its not one to leave on the coffee table when your nan is round, but at the same time i didnt find it overly crude. All in all a good book.

Rating - 4/5

The Queen's Secret - Victoria Lamb

the-queens-secret.jpg

Started - 6/8/12

Finished - 21/8/12

Format - Hardback Book

Synopsis - July 1575

Elizabeth I, Queen of England, arrives at Kenilworth Castle amid pomp, fanfare and a wealth of lavish festivities, laid on by the Earl of Leicester. The hopeful Earl knows this is his very last chance to persuade the Queen to marry him.

But despite his attachment to the Queen and his driving ambition to be her King, Leicester is unable to resist the seductive wiles of Lettice, wife of the Earl of Essex. And soon whispers of their relationship start spreading through the court.

Enraged by the adulterous lovers growing intimacy, Elizabeth employs Lucy Morgan, a young black singer and court entertainer, to spy on the couple. But Lucy, who was raised by a spy in London, uncovers far more than she bargains for.

For someone at Kenilworth that summer is plotting to kill the queen. No longer able to tell friend from foe, it is soon not only the queen who is in mortal danger - but Lucy herself.

My Thoughts - I read this book as part of the Hardback Historical Challenge from the Transworld Publishers. I really had a craving to read a book from this time period and this book really fitted the bill for me.

This book is set in the time period of Queen Elizabeth I and is about Lucy, a girl in the courts. She starts off by being an entertainer in a big group, but ends up being one of the Queens favourites as the time goes on. There is also a big love triangle between the Queen, her cousin and a man, Robert. Along with spying and lots of other things this book had the premise to be a very good book.

I really enjoyed this book, especially the part where a young Will Shakespeare makes an appearance. As her is part of the climax of the book i was really surprised to see him in there, however this really made the book a lot more enjoyable for me.

I also enjoyed the big love triangle. This for me was really good and I couldn't help but think how long it would be before they all got caught and it all became unraveled.

I'm not sure how historically accurate the book was as this time period is not my strongest, but i really enjoyed reading about it. I really want to learn more about this time period and read more books set in it.

I loved this authors writing and having a look there is a follow-up book to this one, due out next year and i will definitely be wanting to read that when it is released.

A great book that is highly recommended by me

Rating - 5/5

I've downloaded a free freebies over the last couple of days

• Widow of Larkspur Inn - Lawana Blackwell (Gresham Cronicles #1)
  • The Son of Man - Charles W. Johnson (Son of Man #1)
  • Elders of Zion - Charles W. Johnson (Son of Man #2)
  • Fifth Column - Christopher Remy

And i also got Friends With Partical Benefits by Luke Young, as a very kind gift by the author :)

Notes From A Small Island - Bill Bryson

book_notes.jpg

Started - 28/8/12

Finished - 1/9/12

Format - Paperback Book

Challenges - Ultimate Teen Book Guide Challenge

World Book Night 2012 Longlist

Synopsis - After nearly two decades in Britain, Bill Bryson took the decision to move back to the States for a few years, to let his kids experience life in another country, to give his wife the chance to shop until 10 p.m. seven nights a week, and, most of all, because he had read that 3.7 million Americans believed that they had been abducted by aliens at one time or another, and it was thus clear to him that his people needed him.

But before leaving his much-loved home in North Yorkshire, Bryson insisted on taking one last trip around Britain, a sort of valedictory tour of the green and kindly island that had so long been his home. His aim was to take stock of the nation's public face and private parts (as it were), and to analyse what precisely it was he loved so much about a country that had produced Marmite, a military hero whose dying wish was to be kissed by a fellow named Hardy, place names like Farleigh Wallop, Titsey and Shellow Bowells, people who said 'Mustn't grumble', and Gardeners' Question Time.

My Thoughts - I read this book as part of a reading challenge and also as I've never had a chance to read this authors work and i thought it was about time that i did.

Bill Bryson is a famous American author, who has been living in Great Britain for a number of years. He makes the decision to move back to America to give his children a chance to experience the American lifestyle, but before he did, he decided to travel around Britain by (mostly) public transport and make a book about his experiences. This is that book.

Now i'm not normally a fan of travel writing as its not normally the sort of book i read but this book really hooked me in. There are so many different places mentioned in this book, some of which i had actually visited, South Shields and Edinburgh for example and i could really picture the places that Bryson was speaking about. Also, a town/city very close to me was mentioned which was a big plus for me.

The book was also packed with facts about the area that the author was in. This was really interesting reading and i picked up lots of information that i didnt already know, like how little Lake Windermere is compared to the lakes in America.

The writing of this book was very funny. Bryson has got the 'British way' off to a tee, like how the British don't really like complaining and when they have to they end up apologising for complaining! Also how many Britons don't like to say no. For example he stays in a lot of bad hotels and instead of complaining about the price and conditions he just gets on with it.

This book has really made me think. What with the 'Great British Summer' this year, with the Golden Jubilee, the Olympics and Paralympics its made me realise what a lovely little country that i live in. Its a very diverse country with lots of different attractions in and its really made me want to go to more places and visit more attractions that i havent already been too.

This book is very good, laugh out loud funny in places and very well written. I'll definitely be reading more books by this author and would definitely recommend this to others interested in Great Britain.

Rating - 4/5

Laura

Welcome to the world of Bill Bryson . I've never met anyone who hasn't thoroughly enjoyed his books, whether you enjoy travel writing or not . Bryson is funny,no matter what he talks about . I think we could now both claim him as an author for our countries . He was born and raised here ( in Iowa, I think) ,but has lived over there for a really long time now . It sounds as if he thoroughly enjoys it over there . I've read the book,too,and it was interesting to me,never having been there before . I'd have to say I enjoyed The Lost Continent more, only because it was from places over here that I'm more familiar with,so maybe it depends on where you are from,as to which book you can associate with .

As for the Shrinkage book, something tells me that a lot more ladies than men would read that. Men seem to be overly "touchy" about their Crotchular Area ,for lack of a better way of putting it ,so they probably wouldnt find the book amusing unless they were a closet-shinker themselves,and are curious as to what to do about it .

I never could understand the situation myself,when men are adults and still have those issues . Girls are sensitive about their chest size as teens ,but as adults I dont think too many of us find it an ongoing problem . Maybe by my age, you really have lots more things to be concerned with than your body parts and their sizes .

Brilliant review thanks Laura.

Yes great review (as always) Laura, I really must pick up one of the Brysons on my TBR shelf soon! :smile::readingtwo::smile:

hehe, thank you both your making me blush!

Laura

Welcome to the world of Bill Bryson . I've never met anyone who hasn't thoroughly enjoyed his books, whether you enjoy travel writing or not . Bryson is funny,no matter what he talks about . I think we could now both claim him as an author for our countries . He was born and raised here ( in Iowa, I think) ,but has lived over there for a really long time now . It sounds as if he thoroughly enjoys it over there . I've read the book,too,and it was interesting to me,never having been there before . I'd have to say I enjoyed The Lost Continent more, only because it was from places over here that I'm more familiar with,so maybe it depends on where you are from,as to which book you can associate with .

As for the Shrinkage book, something tells me that a lot more ladies than men would read that. Men seem to be overly "touchy" about their Crotchular Area ,for lack of a better way of putting it ,so they probably wouldnt find the book amusing unless they were a closet-shinker themselves,and are curious as to what to do about it .

I never could understand the situation myself,when men are adults and still have those issues . Girls are sensitive about their chest size as teens ,but as adults I dont think too many of us find it an ongoing problem . Maybe by my age, you really have lots more things to be concerned with than your body parts and their sizes .

I loved the Bryson book it was fantastic and i want to read more, but i think next time i'll be picking up one about America just for a change. the Shrinkage book was good too, probably like you said its because I'm female and I don't take it too seriously!

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J.K. Rowling

cover4_b_uk.gif

Synopsis - The summer holidays are dragging on and Harry Potter can't wait for the start of the school year. It is his fourth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and there are spells to be learnt and (unluckily) Potions and Divination lessons to be attended. But Harry can't know that the atmosphere is darkening around him, and his worst enemy is preparing a fate that it seems will be inescapable ...With characteristic wit, fast-paced humour and marvellous emotional depth, J.K. Rowling has proved herself yet again to be a master story-teller.

My Thoughts - As many people know The Harry Potter series are my favourite books of all time and every now and again i do re-read the series. This is the fourth book in the series and although its not one of my favourites its still good.

In this book Harry goes back to Hogwarts to start his fourth year at the school. During this year the Twiwizard tornament is held at the school which adds an added depth and excitement to the book. During the year Harry and his friends go through the normal things, lessons, fallings out, adventures and excitement.

This is the first of the 'big' books in the series and i think this is where we start to see the series turn a little bit darker. What with 'Mad-eye' Moody and the plot surrounding him and also the rise of You Know Who towards the end of the book it does start to pave the way for the more adult story lines of the series.

This is the book where death is also started to be explored which more me is a vital part of the book. However, its not all doom and gloom there are things like the Yule Ball which adds a bit more fun to the books and reminds the reader that Harry and his friends are still children.

While this book is massive in comparison to the books previously, i always find it easy reading and the pages just flow once i pick the book up. Although this book isnt my favourite i do enjoy the story to it.

Rating - 5/5

Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell

200px-Gone_with_the_Wind_cover.jpg

Started - 31/7/12

Finished - 9/9/12

Format - Paperback book

Challenges - Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge

BBC Top 200 Books

1001 Books You Must Read

Ultimate Teen Book Guide Challenge

World Book Night 2012 Long List

Synopsis - Tomorrow is another day... Set against the dramatic backdrop of the American Civil War, Margaret Mitchell's magnificent historical epic is an unforgettable tale of love and loss, of a nation mortally divided and a people forever changed. Above all, it is the story of beautiful, ruthless Scarlett O'Hara and the dashing soldier of fortune, Rhett Butler.

My Thoughts - I've had this book on my shelf for a long time and to be honest i was getting a little bit put off my the sheer size of the book. its over 1000 pages long and to be honest this did put me off a little bit. However, i didnt need to have worried i absolutly loved this book and i really wish i had read it sooner.

This epic book centres on Scarlett O'Hara and her life. At the start of the book she is a very self centred person and all she wants to do is attend lots of parties and find a husband and lead as many boys on as possible too. Its at a part she meets Rhett Butler and these too dont really mix very well. In fact the end up really disliking each other.

Then the unthinkable happens, civil war breaks out in America and all the men go off to fight leaving all the women behind. This is the chance for Scarlett and her friends to have to do lots of things like working in a hospital and treating the wounded soldiers. Once the civil war is over with the reconstruction takes place and its here that Scarlett's character really starts to appear.

To be honest i didnt really like Scarlett, I really tried to but her treatment of people, espeically Frank. I thought that this was so sad what she did, i do understand the reasons behind it, to save Tara, but she ruined her sisters happiness at this. Scarlett could have had a brilliant life but instead she was so preoccupied with Ashley that she didnt realise how badly that she was treating everybody.

I did find the treatment of the black people in the book so shocking. I know that this is what happened during this time period but reading about it was so shocking and i just dont know how people could have been treated in that way by others.

I also thought that this book was so much more than the romance story that it is billed as. I found it so sad with the ammount of death in the book and there were so many twists and turns that sometimes i couldnt believe how much was happening. At the end of the book i did shed a tear as Melanie was such a nice person and i just didnt think she deserved anything that happened to her.

The only thing that did put me off slightly was the begining was very complicated with all the characters being introduced and this did at one point make me think that it wasnt the book for me. This was nessassery for the book to be introduced and once i got a hundred pages in i didnt really look back.

I loved this book its not often that i say that and i was so shocked at how much i loved this and how quickly i got into it. An amazing book!

Rating - 5/5