Poppy's Paperbacks 2012

poppyshake

I give too many 5s, I think! It's tricky though - if I gave a 4½ to a book I really enjoyed I'd wonder what it had done to lose the ½ mark! :giggle2: I often think it would be best to 'mark' them at the end of the year, but by then I've forgotten what half of them were about! :blush:

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Janet

Yes, I know what you mean about forgetting what books are about. I was looking at my list yesterday and some of the earlier books I'd read this year, I had no memory at all of what they were about . One of the first ones I read, got a 5 rating,but I am clueless as to what the book was like .

The only ones I remember are the last couple months ' worth .

I usually always look at the person's rating number before reading the review -- if it's really high or really low,then it catches my attention and I want to find out why .

• 2 weeks later...

mycousinrachel.jpg

My Cousin Rachel - Daphne Du Maurier

Amazon Synopsis: Orphaned at an early age, Philip Ashley is raised by his benevolent older cousin, Ambrose. Resolutely single, Ambrose delights in Philip as his heir, a man who will love his grand home as much as he does himself. But the cosy world the two construct is shattered when Ambrose sets off on a trip to Florence. There he falls in love and marries - and there he dies suddenly. In almost no time at all, the new widow - Philip's cousin Rachel - turns up in England. Despite himself, Philip is drawn to this beautiful, sophisticated, mysterious woman like a moth to the flame. And yet . . . might she have had a hand in Ambrose's death?

Review: I loved every word of it. Daphne is such a conjurer of atmosphere. Her characters are so vivid, you never have trouble picturing them or placing them in the landscape. Philip is, I suppose, the character you root for (when you're not wanting to kick him in the pants :D). It seems as if he's destined to follow in his cousin Ambrose's footsteps by falling for the beautiful, but seemingly scheming, Rachel. He's determined not to actually which lasts right up until she comes a-knocking on his door (all humble and unassuming .. hehe I could do that I'm sure if the part required it .. you're not fooling me missy :D) however he can't help being drawn to her. This is possibly deadly because, both the reader and Philip, have suspicions that Rachel had more than a hand in Ambrose's untimely death. He was as right as ninepence before he took up with her but then went downhill fast after their marriage and wrote some rather accusatory letters before finally pegging out. She's a bit of a spendthrift by all accounts (but I certainly wouldn't hold that against her ;)) but hasn't got the funds to back it up. And now Philip is set to inherit everything which makes him a rather attractive prospect. You're constantly thinking 'no .. stop it .. don't do that .. oh for goodness sake' but of course, he can't hear you and I'm pretty sure he would ignore you if he could, he just carries on doing unwise things and getting himself deeper into the mire. Not only is he taken in by her but he starts to obssess a bit and acts more and more out of character .. or is it out of character?

Daphne cranks up the tension beautifully but just when you think you know where it's going she puts in an Agatha-like twist .. marvellous .. the curse of the unreliable narrator strikes again.

I don't know why I haven't read more of Daphne's stories, everything I have read of hers I've loved and when this happens I usually gobble up the rest. Even though I'm unaware of it, I must be saving her books for rainy days. I am in for some treats if this is anything to go by. She's quite Susan Hillish .. or rather Susan is quite de Maurierish so lovers of her and Agatha will love this and I would think anyone who loved Rebecca will too.

Perfect for winter nights by the fire .. sadly I read it in the spring :D It didn't matter one jot though because it was brilliant.

10/10

Miss Poppy

Glad to hear how much you enjoyed My Cousin Rachel. I liked it too ,very much . Probably not quite as much as Rebecca, but pretty darn close . Those type books were so popular back in my teens and early 20's. I guess they would have been called "Gothic Suspense " maybe ?

Victoria Holt and Phyllis Whitney were the 2 authors . I think I read them all back long ago . Do you recall any of them ?

I give too many 5s, I think! It's tricky though - if I gave a 4½ to a book I really enjoyed I'd wonder what it had done to lose the ½ mark! :giggle2: I often think it would be best to 'mark' them at the end of the year, but by then I've forgotten what half of them were about! :blush:

This is partly why I nowadays mark out of 6. I use the 'usual' 1-5 grading: disliked intensely, disappointing, solid, good, excellent. I then have a six star rating for those I put on my all-time favourites list. Some books get put on that list almost immediately, but a lot only get uprated from a 5 after some time, as I find that it's the long term impact a book has on me that defines whether it's a 'great' or not; some books take a bit of time to grow in your mind too. I'm currently looking back at the 5-star reads from this year and wondering if any of them will get a sixth added (three got six stars as soon as they were finished, and I haven't changed my mind - yet! - although I'm fairly sure I won't - they were outstanding).

Just read your review for 'Dear Fatty'. I have had this on my shelf for a few years and only read a coupld of chapters, I really should read, but guess it is one you can just dip in to.

Oh Will

Now you make me curious to see which ones got immediate 6 stars --gotta go check out your list .

Pure (Andrew Miller), The Pinecone (Jenny Uglow) and Dam Busters (James Holland). Unusual for non-fiction to be heading the list, but it's not been a great year for fiction for me, partly, perhaps, because I've been reading more books for book groups etc. and less of my own choice.

Edited by willoyd

Have received some packages from the Book Depository today and as haven't ordered anything I am left to jump to the conclusion that some kind soul from here (because this is where ALL the kind souls are) has sent me some Christmas joy :grinhat:

Thank you very much indeed in advance kind Christmas fairy/fairies :friends0: Alan took them away for safe keeping because the temptation to tear them open was almost too great but there will be great joy come Christmas .. for me anyway and I will get Alan a big Toblerone to compensate.

BIG thanks too to Claire and Janet for their, as yet, unopened Christmas presents :friends0::guess: I am so excited. It's possible that I will actually be able to bury myself in books this year which has been a long time ambition. Family have all got the message that books is what I like best and so this could be a Golden year. Although not if Mum gets me the chocolate orange, multi flavoured, segments again .. totally ruined my tapping and unwrapping experience :(:D

I haven't read ANYTHING in December :o Have been too busy and too flu-addled. Have read some sentences and listened to a few being read but it all turns to mumbo jumbo in five minutes. I hope the second half of the month will be better than the first, I should be much more relaxed next week (hahaha).

That's so cool having mysterious book presents Poppyshake. Sadly I can tell you one is not from me as I didn't think of it. Had the idea occurred to me in time you might have had another Jack Vance

Edited by vodkafan

I cannot believe that you are going to wait til Christmas to open them all :o You have a tremendous amount of will power. Or rather, Alan has excellent hiding skills and has learnt not to take orders from you (if the orders are 'gimme my pressies!!! :motz: ' :lol:). Good lucks with that! But how are you going to tell who sent you what if you've received multiple packages from the same online bookstores?

I'm sorry to hear you've been attacked my a flu! :empathy: I hope the bloody thing goes away soon and you will be on the mend. We can't have our Kay sick, no sirree. Lots of fluids, meds, and TLC for you, missy! :yes:

BIG thanks too to Claire and Janet for their, as yet, unopened Christmas presents :friends0::guess: I am so excited. It's possible that I will actually be able to bury myself in books this year which has been a long time ambition.

You're welcome. :hug: And thanks again for yours. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have had to go looking for my thread :o

It is with the deepest regret and shame that I confess that I've only read two books in December :blush2: although it's not quite ended yet so I may be able to push it up to the grand total of three .. it depends on how good my New Years Eve celebrations are :D Life got in the way unfortunately (or fortunately I suppose :D) and when I wasn't desperately ill with man-flu I was running around red-faced holding a tea towel/turkey/mince pie/tin of Quality Street/copy of the Radio Times .. sometimes all five :D

Anyway I feel rejuvenated now and in need of some literary stimulation which is just as well because look at my Christmas book haul :o:D A BIG THANK YOU to all my lovely friends here who contributed to the pile :friends0: I am a very fortunate young ( :confused:) lady indeed and it just goes to show that nagging works (never let anyone tell you otherwise.)

kays%20books%202012.jpg

One tiny little problem was that my sister bought me The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window & Disappeared and I've already read it (in December so very unlucky) but Waterstone's will swap it for me so not a problem. My Mum & Dad bought me the copy of Watership Down but I asked for it as the copy I read was falling to pieces (and you may remember if you were paying attention that I liked the rabbit story very much indeed so wanted a good replacement).

In addition I have a book voucher and some money to spend, some of which will go on books.

One thing I have bought already, is something called 'A Spineless Classic' which is basically a big art print (approx 700mm x 1000mm) with the entire text of a book printed within the picture. I have a fireplace in my bedroom and wanted something special to hang over it, I wanted it in particular to be portrait in shape so that limited me a bit but the one I chose was Peter Pan. At the moment I have only ordered the print, to have it framed is expensive but I hope to be able to frame it more cheaply .. we'll have to see (Alan is quite good at that sort of thing so I will make big eyes and see what happens.) It will be nice to look at it anyway, it would be a mirror otherwise (not good :D)

I will list the books soon. Though if you squint you can probably make them out. Happy New Year fellow book readers *I'm smiling at you in a benevolent and very fond type way .. though sadly I have run out of emoticons to express it* Hope 2013 brings you all sorts of good things .. books among them of course.

Thank you for reading my blog, I'm sorry for wearying you, I will try and be more concise next year, thank you for your input.

post-5612-0-79301000-1356732018_thumb.jpg

I was really tempted to get one of those Spineless Classics for our downstairs loo! Pride and Prejudice, actually. However, I think I might go with the literary map instead (even if they have got Thomas Hardy in Somerset and not Dorset! :giggle2:

A great haul of Christmas books. :)

Ooh, that spineless classic is lovely! I might have to see if they're available in Australia; I have some walls that could do with some pics.

Please don't be more concise next year, Poppyshake. Your reviews (and posts in general) are an absolute delight to read. They never, ever fail to make me smile and laugh. :D One day I hope to talk you into writing a book. You would do a marvellous job. :flowers2:

I commented already elsewhere, but I will observe again what a lovely pile of books you have received. I look forward to seeing what you buy with your money/voucher too. :)

Please don't be more concise next year, Poppyshake. Your reviews (and posts in general) are an absolute delight to read.

Can I second that? Yours is one of the first blogs I go looking for, primarily because your reviews are so interesting.

If you're ashamed of your reading this month, I hate to think what I should feel about August (two books) and September (one book)! Please don't be, or you'll make the rest of us feel bad too! Life does sometimes have to take priority (I mean life outside reading - yes it does exist)!! Here's to some great reading in 2013 instead!

Edited by willoyd

I was really tempted to get one of those Spineless Classics for our downstairs loo! Pride and Prejudice, actually. However, I think I might go with the literary map instead (even if they have got Thomas Hardy in Somerset and not Dorset!

Have they? .. that's naughty :giggle2: Actually they are the sort of prints that are ideal for a downstairs loo (it's nice to fix your eyes on something :D) but alas .. I no longer have a downstairs loo. In the bathroom I have an Isle of Wight 'type' map, with all the different sized fonts, which looks pretty good. I love the Pride & Prejudice spineless classic .. alas though it's landscape and the chimney breast is so tall that I need to break it up with some height :(

A great haul of Christmas books.

Thanks Janet and thanks again for contributing to my happiness, bless you :friends0:

Ooh, that spineless classic is lovely! I might have to see if they're available in Australia; I have some walls that could do with some pics.

I'm sure they will be, I think Amazon do them They've just added Life of Pi to the collection so it will be interesting to see which others they do.

Please don't be more concise next year, Poppyshake. Your reviews (and posts in general) are an absolute delight to read. They never, ever fail to make me smile and laugh. One day I hope to talk you into writing a book. You would do a marvellous job.

Bless you and thanks for your encouragement :D Sadly I've not got a book in me, I've only got wildly disconnected sentences :D

I commented already elsewhere, but I will observe again what a lovely pile of books you have received. I look forward to seeing what you buy with your money/voucher too.

Thanks Kylie and thank you so much for my book presents, Alan says it's like watching a kid with new Christmas Lego :) Rather heroically (because it is both blowing a gale and peeing with rain .. so much so that it's flooded outside my front door) I waded my way to Waterstone's today to spend my voucher and change my book. I took a £20 with me also but oh dear ... somehow I still owed them £11 :blush2: I was seduced into buying too many books (though of course there is no such thing). Have got an Amazon order in the making so will picture them when it is eventually delivered. This is my main book spending time, and then Feb. Last year, after that, I only bought about five or six books so this almost feels like drinking after wandering in a desert for months .. I'm not sated yet but, by my calculations, I've drunk about six pints.

Can I second that? Yours is one of the first blogs I go looking for, primarily because your reviews are so interesting.

Thank you Willoyd. I do love the reading blogs, I spend hours reading through them (might be why I haven't read many books) and yours is a favourite too.

If you're ashamed of your reading this month, I hate to think what I should feel about August (two books) and September (one book)! Please don't be, or you'll make the rest of us feel bad too! Life does sometimes have to take priority (I mean life outside reading - yes it does exist)!! Here's to some great reading in 2013 instead!

Indeed, I hope you have a great reading year in 2013. Funnily enough, I don't feel half as het up about my lack of reading as I used to do which is progress I think. I am able to laugh at it and not see it as too much of a failing which must be in part due to your advice earlier in the year. I am more ashamed about falling behind with my reviews but January is a good thinking time, I'll try to catch up then. I have a friend who has been reading the same book all year (and she says she's enjoying it) so you have to get things in perspective. I had to resist the temptation to confiscate her book and send it to a more deserving cause :D

What a gorgeous pile of books Poppy :D Much sympathy for your illness we were all laid low with a stomach bug followed by tonsilitis over the christmas & i think i've only managed to read 100 pages in 6 days so your not on your own there :smile:

Your Spineless Classic sounds amazing hope you'll be able to post pics of it when it's in pride of place :smile:

What a gorgeous pile of books Poppy :D Much sympathy for your illness we were all laid low with a stomach bug followed by tonsilitis over the christmas & i think i've only managed to read 100 pages in 6 days so your not on your own there :smile: Your Spineless Classic sounds amazing hope you'll be able to post pics of it when it's in pride of place :smile:

Awww, I'm sorry you've been unwell KM :friends0: it's one of the worst things about Christmas and every year I forget that it never comes without bringing at least one bug with it, it makes all the prep etc so much harder. Hope you're all feeling much better now. Words are beginning to make sense again so the last few days I've been able to lose myself in a book which is a relief.

Our bedroom is high on the re-decoration list this year so fingers crossed that it will be done before long and I will definitely take a pic of the lovely print in place. I need a new bookcase in there too because I have too many books and not enough places to put them .. they are in tottering piles .. rather like the photo. The only thing is, the bedroom will be decorated in neutral shades like French grey and beige etc and I am fighting the urge to co-ordinate my books accordingly. I promised myself I wouldn't succumb to such sickness again but it has to be said that red books etc will look out of place there. I need to get a grip :D

I have a friend who has been reading the same book all year (and she says she's enjoying it) so you have to get things in perspective. I had to resist the temptation to confiscate her book and send it to a more deserving cause :D

Funny you say that, one of my coworkers is exactly the same. One book, I think she was reading for about 2 years. She didn't read anything else at the time, it was just that one book that she picked up whenever she had a free 5 minutes. :o

Funny you say that, one of my coworkers is exactly the same. One book, I think she was reading for about 2 years. She didn't read anything else at the time, it was just that one book that she picked up whenever she had a free 5 minutes. :o

I've known a couple of people like that too. I find it really hard to understand how anybody can enjoy a book in 5 minute bursts: whenever I get interrupted like that, I have to go back and reread bits all over again otherwise I just lose the plot (literally!), and certainly never feel that I've 'got into' a book at all.

Having said that, I probably can't comment as I've been listening to Don Quixote on and off for about 8 months now, and am not even quite half way through yet - do so in 15-20 minute stints when walking between school and station on the days I commute in by train (1-2 times a week). But then DQ is almost a sequence of stories rather than a coherent whole (or maybe that's how I see it because of the way I'm listening to it?). Whatever, maybe it's easier than I thought!

I read War and Peace at work, although I often managed to devote a whole lunch hour to it rather than just 5 minutes here and there. I'm not sure I would have made my way through it any other way,, as if I had had other books nearby to tempt me I might well have given up! :)