Vodkafan's 2012 Reading List and Genre Challenge

vodkafan

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't read anything at all my week in London and was desperate to start something so as soon as I bought The Wind up Girl in Forbidden Planet I dipped into it immediately. Now half way through. But I still have two other books on the go from before I left. Will finish something soon and review it.

Edited by vodkafan

I finished The Windup Girl. Excellent read. 3 other books in various stages of comprehension. Will rip through them next few days . Reviews on Saturday as usual.

Just out of interest .. how long does it take you to read a book VF? and how many hours would you say you read for on an average day? I was just wondering because you seem to get through your books quickly and I wondered if you read a lot faster than me or devoted more time to it.

Just out of interest .. how long does it take you to read a book VF? and how many hours would you say you read for on an average day? I was just wondering because you seem to get through your books quickly and I wondered if you read a lot faster than me or devoted more time to it.

Hi Poppy it really varies....I am a fast reader. If I had time to just sit and read till I was sated I would read a normal size novel a day and start the next like I did when I was a teenager with no responsibilities. Happy days those. Nowadays I read in 30 minute snatches at breaktimes at work or at odd moments at home. Maybe an hour and a half a day in total . But there are some days when I don't get to read at all. June was like that, which is why I only managed 4 or 5 books for the month.

How does that compare to your reading habits?

Edited by vodkafan

Hmmm .. I'm lucky to read six a month tops at the moment. I don't think I've ever read a novel in a day .. unless it was short. I'm probably not the worlds fastest reader (though I don't have to follow each line with my finger so there is progress :D) Maybe I'm managing about an hour and a half a day too but I'm still only managing to read six books. The weekends though are a write off .. too many needy people needing stuff :D (I'm sure Alan would love to hear himself described as such .. I can't really say Molly is any more needy at weekends than she is normally .. cats don't tend to know it's the weekend :D) Also winter I find easier than summer .. again too many distractions in summer .. I feel like I should be outdoors or walking or gardening if I have spare time .. in winter it's like shut the doors, put the fire and kettle on (not the kettle on the fire .. I am slightly more civilised than that) get some chocolate and settle down to reading .. unless Christmas is looming then there's nothing really pressing that I feel I should be doing instead.

Your periods of reading sound nice and peaceful....mine are very rarely like that, there are always other people around. But I can shut everything else out no problem. In fact I am sure that reading is actually what keeps me sane at work, it's like visiting somewhere else and not being me for a short time.... If its a breaktime at work I read while I am eating. Just lately I have been trying to read for 10 minutes or so when in bed just before sleeping like I have heard normal people do. It seems a good habit to get into.

Yes I do the reading before sleeping thing too :smile: mostly it works great but I do sometimes wake up with my head literally stuck in a book :D I'm not good at shutting out outside distractions, I can't read with the TV on or music .. unless it's instrumental. I don't think I'd be very good if people were milling about whilst I was trying to read. Alan likes to watch films and stuff and often we can be found .. most sociably :D .. at opposite ends of the house. I try and carry my book everywhere because I can read in the car .. say if Alan is in the DIY or somewhere (how long does it take to buy a packet of screws and some rawlplugs fgs????) .. as long as the car park isn't too noisy. I read and eat too .. I know a lot of people think it's a no-no but I'm not averse to spilling toast/cake/chocolate crumbs on my books .. it does depend on the story though cos I'm a bit squeamish.

The Weaker Vessel women's lot in seventeenth century England

Antonia Fraser

This book took me quite some time to finish and I read another whole book and started 2 more while I was reading it. I guess I just wasn't really in the mood for any history. It was always very informative, and because I read it in small chunks I have absorbed 90% of it to memory. It was at times a bit dry though.This is the first part (is the second part written yet?) and seemed to concentrate more on upper-class women, whose lives were quite constrained. I would have preffered to know more about the ordinary populace, but I am guessing that will be covered in the next volume. If I see that I will read it, but I won't go out of my way.

The chapters each deal with a separate theme, for instance marriage, widowhood, education, etc, so the same few women appear in each chapter in bits rather than their whole story (as far as is known) being told all in one go.

Edited by vodkafan

I reviewed The Windup Girl in the SF/Fantasy section and on the second page of this blog, where I put my Genre challenge reviews:

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/10413-the-windup-girl-by-paolo-bacigalupi/#entry306032

Edited by vodkafan

I finished a book of horror short stories, The Nightmare Chronicles by Douglas Clegg. It was good and totally out of my normal comfort zone. Not sure where I am now with my treebooks I will have to have another count up.

She's a machine VF ... you'll kill yourself trying biggrin.png

:giggle2: That sentence sounds so surreal I am still laughing every time I look at it....outsiders have no idea the fun we have on here with books and the crazy things we do for books...thanks Poppyshake.

I just read A Short History Of Tractors In Ukranian......started and finished all in one day. Starting the next one now it's a biography; Beautiful Stranger. 30 Tree books to go.

Edited by vodkafan

How was Ukrranian Tractors? Ive had it on my TBR for a while but I have no idea how good or otherwise it is.

It is hilarious Brian...bump this one up to the top of your pile.