Vodkafan's 2012 Reading List and Genre Challenge

vodkafan

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Brian and Bobblybear. I am certainly enjoying it so far, it's big but not a chore to read. Some of those early scientists were eccentric weren't they? My favourite so far has been Henry Cavendish, who ran away if engaged in direct conversation and gave himself electric shocks to see what it was like in increasing voltage until he passed out.

My reading has all but stopped with kids on holiday, trying to spend as much time with them as possible. Enjoying the Bill Bryson book though when I can steal a few minutes.

I am reading Bill too :D I raced through The Lost Continent and am now three quarters through The Life & Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. I love his humour .. he never pulls his punches he goes straight for the jugular. I'm always reading bits allowed though .. Lord! look how I've spelt aloud :o :o :o I'm leaving that in to show that I'm even more dense am than pm. Must be something to do with lunch .. I can't be expected to spell with only tinned peaches in my tummy.

Oh but I did struggle with A Short History of Nearly Everything because there were less jokes and more stuff about 'matter' :10_confused: .. also I was waiting for the chapter on cake and it never came :D I remember there was quite a bit of stuff in it about loo's .. that was interesting :)

Just finished A Short History Of Nearly Everything

today. Lots of people at work have asked to borrow it but I think I will hang on to it for a while because there are lots of things I would like to check back on and follow up.

20 books left to go.

Have started reading The Hungry Ghosts by Anne Berry as part of my august Genre Challenge. Very good so far.

James

Sounds like you had a good run with Bryson. That book is one of his I have that I have yet to read. I have read pretty near everything else from him ... The one called Home ? I think it is -- red cover ,white writing ... it is SO fascinating. gives a history of everything you will find inside a house.

Miss Poppy-

so glad you liked Lost Continent,and Thunderbolt Kid -- loved them both. 2 of my favorite Bryson books .

Thanks Julie. That's the only Bryson I have read so far. Will certainly read more.

I just finished The Hungry Ghosts. It was excellent. Will try to catch up on my reviews on saturday.

19 books to go.

Edited by vodkafan

James

Sounds like you had a good run with Bryson. That book is one of his I have that I have yet to read. I have read pretty near everything else from him ... The one called Home ? I think it is -- red cover ,white writing ... it is SO fascinating. gives a history of everything you will find inside a house.

Miss Poppy-

so glad you liked Lost Continent,and Thunderbolt Kid -- loved them both. 2 of my favorite Bryson books .

I'm having a bit of a Bryson fest .. I've gone on to re-read Notes From a Small Island (for the reading circle) and am now on a re-read of Notes From a Big Country. I really didn't think that lol'ing existed but I've been doing a lot of it reading these books. He's the opposite of the Incredible Hulk .. you really DO like him when he's angry :D

19 books is a great achievement James :) .. I'm sure I'm still in the 200's somewhere but, though I would like to make a dent in it, I like having lot's of unread books in the house so am not too unhappy about it. 19 still gives you lot's of scope but I wouldn't like having only 5 choices .. it would seem more like punishment, especially as they would be the 5 I least wanted to read (which of course though might turn out to be the best reads ever). I always need to match my books to my mood (which would call for 50 choices at least :D). I know though that space can be an issue and there are some folks (though I would never speak to any of them ;)) that are moving on to electronic reading :o and saying goodbye to tree books :weeping: I must make sure to send you at least one tree book a year so that you never forget how to turn a page or fold a corner down (you can do that to my books .. I'm not precious about them .. they'll be full of cake crumbs anyway.)

:giggle2: That's funny poppy full of cake crumbs ...I can imagine! I am not precious either when it is just a paperback....most of mine are periodically stained orange every few pages where I have been eating an orange and the juice gets everywhere.. but .I do take care if it is someone else's book (don't worry Diane!!)

I am struggling with The Good Thief it is just not firing me up.....also I am busy with the gym and with the kids so not reading much at all.....I only have to read 4 books a month though now to hit my target for the year of 72...august is going to be a poor month.

I finished The Good Thief . It was very good. I am way behind with my reviews. Think it would be a suitable book for YA too. Must read Last Light now to stay up with my Genre Challenge.

I've had that with a few books that I've had to read in the past few months. They've languished on the shelf for years because I'd read a few pages and thought I'm not in the mood, then I've picked them up this time around, and got into them straight away. Nice to hear your mojo is picking up again. :smile2:

I just finished Last Light. It was chilling to say the least. Frightened me more than any horror book. I read another book before that, but it was not one off my TBR pile, just one I picked up, so it doesn't count. I still have 17 books to go.

I just wrote a couple of reviews for my two Genre Challenge books this month in the usual place, the second post on the first page of this reading blog; I really must ask a mod how to do a link. But anyway all my Genre Challenge reviews are there if anyone is interested.

I just finished Last Light. It was chilling to say the least. Frightened me more than any horror book. I read another book before that, but it was not one off my TBR pile, just one I picked up, so it doesn't count. I still have 17 books to go.

Is this the Alex Scarrow book about Peak Oil? Great read isn't it? There's also the sequel, Afterlight, which is set about 10 years later.

Is this the Alex Scarrow book about Peak Oil? Great read isn't it? There's also the sequel, Afterlight, which is set about 10 years later.

Oh yeah bobblybear I completely forgot there was a sequel. I will look out for it.

I am enjoying The Little Stranger , talking it slow and savouring the writing. Forgot how good Sarah Waters was to read. I must say the plot is rather slow though- I am 186 pages in and we are only just getting to the suggestion there might be a ghost.

I just wrote a couple of reviews for my two Genre Challenge books this month in the usual place, the second post on the first page of this reading blog; I really must ask a mod how to do a link. But anyway all my Genre Challenge reviews are there if anyone is interested.

VF, to link to a specific post, you can click on the post number (e.g. '#2' in the top right-hand corner of the post). Then select the hyperlink in the address bar and copy it. From there, you can paste it into your post. So the link for the second post on the first page of your thread is http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/9534-vodkafans-2012-reading-list-and-genre-challenge/#entry279989. :)