• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WWW Wednesday

What are you currently reading?

What did you recently finish reading?

What do you think you’ll read next?

post-3572-0-70561000-1326901157_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-74921000-1326901161_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-50432600-1326901165_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-54070000-1326901172_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-82519300-1326901176_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-56294400-1326901182_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-93905100-1326901186_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-85928000-1326901192_thumb.jpg

Susan Hill – Howards End is on the Landing

A year of reading from home, by one of Britain’s most distinguished authors. I thought this might inspire me to read more from Mount To-Be-Read, rather than buying new books at random, although with all the freebies available for the Kindle, grabbing freebies may well become my new obsession. Still, I’ve been looking forward to reading this…

Frances Hodgson Burnett – Little Lord Fauntleroy

Both the novels I read by this author last year were 5-stars for me, so I thought I’d read a few more of her books. This one is a free download on my Kindle.

Anne Brontë – Agnes Grey (e-book) - 4/5

Anne Bronte has become my favourite Bronte sister. Both her novels, but especially this, have a quiet kind of passion, and Agnes Grey displays a very reserved longing for love without showing any expectation of it.

Based on Anne’s personal experiences of being a governess, I wonder how much of this novel is based on fact and how much is fabrication, but either way, Anne’s deft handling of the characters and situation, in my opinion, outshines the ability of both her sisters, giving a much more natural and realistic impression of life and love at that time.

Patrick deWitt – The Sisters Brothers - 4/5

I’m not exactly sure what it is about this novel that I liked so much – I only know that I enjoyed it immensely. Perhaps it’s the simple eloquence of Eli Sisters’ narration that belies the complexities of character in both him and his brother. Perhaps it’s his dispassionate approach to killing juxtaposed by his wish to finally settle down and find a chance at love and redemption. Or perhaps it’s just that it’s a great story with great characters and the writing is superb.

Whatever it is, this has awakened in me a desire to try more westerns when, before this, I had no interest in them at all.

Philippa Gregory – The Women of the Cousins’ War - 5/5

This non-fiction study of the three women (Jaquetta of Luxembourg, Elizabeth Woodville, and Margaret Beaufort) portrayed in the Cousins’ War series is absolutely fascinating! I was aware that women have been marginalised throughout history, but I never stopped to think how those who did make it to the pages of the history books might have been so horrendously misrepresented.

If you’re a fan of historical fiction, especially of the period of unrest known as the War of the Roses, irrespective of whether you are a fan of Gregory’s novels, I think you’ll find this interesting.

Marissa Meyer – Cinder - 4/5

A cyborg Cinderella? Count me in! This is one of the most innovative twists on the Cinderella story I’ve encountered so far. I was intrigued by the cover when I saw it on a blog and reading the reviews confirmed it as something that would most likely appeal to me – it certainly lived up to its promise!

I absolutely loved the character of Cinder – her mix of cool machine and emotional person made for a great combination and she was both believable and sympathetic.

The setting could have been anywhere, if I’m brutally honest, as there was very little in the way of actual description or mention of traditions in New Beijing that might link it to old Beijing, but I get the feeling it’s a set up for the rest of the series, so I’m more than willing to let that slide ni the hopes that it’s developed further in the subsequent novels.

I’ll certainly be looking out for the next book when it’s published.

Caroline Hanson – Bewitching the Werewolf (e-book) - 2/5

A fun, slightly sexy little paranormal romance short story. It could have done with being a little sexier, and even though it’s very short, I would have liked a little more character and romantic development. That said, for the short length, it’s entertaining enough and fills a half hour or so nicely.

Stuart MacBride – Birthdays for the Dead

Not set in Aberdeen and not about Logan McRae or any of this colleagues, but it’s by Stuart Macbride and that’s more than good enough for me! I love his books!

I'm curious about Little Lord Fauntleroy - I never knew it was a book! The only mention I've ever heard of that name is when John Connolly said his parents must have thought he was Little Lord Fauntleroy as a child because he accidentally pronounced 'cupboard' phonetically, rather than 'cubburd'. I might have to look up the book haha!

Booking Through Thursday

Do you skip ahead in a book?

Do you feel badly about it when you do?

I don’t tend to skip ahead in books unless I’m re-reading them and have come to a part of which I’m not so fond. I don’t do much rereading these days, so the skipping is reduced even further. On those rare occasions when I skip ahead, I don’t feel guilty or even remotely bad about it, because I’ve already read it at least once before. If I found myself skipping ahead on a first read, I’d be questioning whether I was actually enjoying the book. If the answer is negative, I ditch the whole book. If it’s positive, then I continue reading without skipping.

Friday Finds

What great books did you hear about / discover this past week?

Share with us your

FRIDAY FINDS!

By following links to blogs taking part in various memes, I’ve heard about so many great books it would be impossible to list them all. I’m also a regular visitor to our local library and am always eagerly awaiting newly published books by my favourite authors. However, here are the ones that really stood out for me this week and for which I’ll be looking out on future book acquisition expeditions:

They’ve all gone onto my wish list!

post-3572-0-04716200-1327017097_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-29942100-1327017129_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-40206100-1327017134_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-25656600-1327017138_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-65460800-1327017142_thumb.jpg

February Flowers is my preferred choice for that month in my Months Of The Year Challenge! Haven't bought it yet, I'll probably get an e-copy. Maybe. Looking forward to it anyway.

Also I must go do my Friday finds, I found some interesting titles during the week!

Musing Mondays

Why do you think that the Young Adult genre is so popular, even with the adult readers? Do you read YA books, yourself?

I most certainly read young adult novels, in fact I’m a most ardent fan of them! The rich array of stories and characters, combined with some really excellent writing mean tha tif you don’t read them, you’re really missing out! I think all readers of young adult fiction realise this, and this is the reason we embrace it so wholeheartedly.

Cover Crazy - Empire State by Adam Christopher

2empirestate.jpg

What I love:

It’s that old combination of black, red and white again – I just cannot resist it! In this case, I also love the stylised art deco look of the cover with the cinematic title font. The eye is immediately drawn to the Empire State Building at the centre, yet it doesn’t overpower the cover as it’s set against a muted grey backdrop. Instead, the behatted figure with the gas mask and gun is more prominent, despite being to one side. Then there’s the figure in the target-like circle.

Synopsis:

It was the last great science hero fight, but the energy blast ripped a hole in reality, and birthed the Empire State – a young, twisted parallel prohibition-era New York. When the rift starts to close, both worlds are threatened, and both must fight for the right to exist.

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

post-3572-0-16304700-1327323801_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-37804400-1327323807_thumb.jpg

Anne Frasier – Hush (E)

This Kindle e-book caught my eye and I thought I’d give it a try. I’m so glad I did! I’m now half way through and it’s so exciting! The writing is excellent and the plotting is tight. I’d never even heard of this author before, but now I’ll be looking out for more of her work to snap up!

Jackson Pearce – Sisters Red (S)

This is one of the books I bought with some of my Xmas money and I’ve been dying to get to it. The cover first grabbed my attention and positive reviews from fellow bloggers have made this a must-read. I’m just about to start it today…

Teaser Tuesday

10-mrs-darcy-versus-the-aliens.jpg

1. Grab your current read

2. Open to a random page

3. Share two “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page

4. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)

5. Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

My teaser:

“The truth is out there,” he added significantly. “Though it is not yet universally acknowledged.”

page 4, Mrs. Darcy Versus the Aliens by Jonathan Pinnock

Synopsis:

A year or two into her marriage, Elizabeth Darcy has much on her mind: she has still not produced an heir for Mr Darcy, there are preparations to be made for the Pemberly summer ball, and her youngest sister Lydia has been abducted by aliens. As Regency England sleepwalks towards tentacled oblivion, will she be able to reunite with her old foe Wickham and put a stop to their evil plans?

Meanwhile, in the East End of London, the repulsive Mr Collins is running a Mission for fallen women whilst his poor wife Charlotte has fallen under the malign spell of Lord Byron and is now a laudanum addict. But is everything at the Mission all that it seems? What is Mr Darcy doing there? And why are there strange lights in the sky over Lady Catherine de Bourgh’s seat at Rosings?

What I think of it so far:

Not quite as clever as Mr. Darcy, Vampyre, nor quite as funny as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, but still a fun read. Pinnock pits our beloved Elizabeth against invaders from another planet and, on the whole, it does well, but some of the pop-culture in-jokes will probably not age quite as well as the ones based on more classic areas. This really is a major mash-up, not just between Austen and aliens, but also time, as the Regency meets the Victorian age too.

If you’re a fan of mash-ups, especially of Austen-based ones, you’ll probably enjoy this. If not, then you’re probably best to steer clear, as you simply won’t get it.

WWW Wednesday

post-3572-0-79793500-1327484901_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-33969300-1327484906_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-59982200-1327484911_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-42576800-1327484916_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-69694600-1327484920_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-83895400-1327484924_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-44239100-1327484928_thumb.jpg

Anne Frasier – Hush (Kindle e-book)

This Kindle e-book caught my eye and I thought I’d give it a try. I’m so glad I did! I’m now half way through and it’s so exciting! The writing is excellent and the plotting is tight. I’d never even heard of this author before, but now I’ll be looking out for more of her work to snap up!

Jackson Pearce – Sisters Red (S)

This is one of the books I bought with some of my Xmas money and I’ve been dying to get to it. The cover first grabbed my attention and positive reviews from fellow bloggers have made this a must-read. I’ve only just started this, so no comment yet. I just hope my expectations aren’t unrealistically high!

Frances Hodgson Burnett – Little Lord Fauntleroy (e-book) star3.png- 4/5 star3.png

Although I enjoyed the writing in this novel every bit as much as I did with The Secret Garden and A Little Princess, this story was a little more “goody-goody” than either of those. I think if I had actually known Little Lord Fauntleroy personally, he would have annoyed me intensely as he is just TOO good to be true. The story is also rather predictable so there were no actual surprises for me.

However, the writing is really excellent and it’s worth reading it just for the beautiful, flowing style as much as the sweet story. So, not quite as much of a favourite as the other two I’ve read, but still rather good.

Susan Hill – Howards End is on the Landing - 3/5

I’d heard so many wonderful things about this book that I think I fell victim to the hype and wanted to like it so much more than I did. That’s not to say it’s not good – it IS good, just not as good as I’d hoped.

Howards End is on the Landing: A Year of Reading from Home is less a love letter to the books Susan Hill loves, and more a recounting of the many anecdotes she has of meeting and working with other writers, and their books which have subsequently helped shape her life, both personally and professionally.

It’s a little dry in places and, I confess, it did not actually inspire me to search for any of the books mentioned that I had not already read, but I did enjoy some of the little stories that were triggered by Hill wandering round her book-filled home and choosing to read only books she already owns for a year.

If we were all to follow her example, I’m sure everyone’s “Final Forty” would look very different. Certainly, there are not many books on which she settles that I would include in my own list, and there are many others I would insist upon that are omitted, but, as I’ve already intimated, everyone’s tastes are different.

This is an interesting read for anyone who loves books and, who knows, may lead to others discovering the joys of those tomes Hill pulled down from her own shelves.

Jonathan Pinnock – Mrs. Darcy Versus the Aliens - 3/5

Not quite as clever as Mr. Darcy, Vampyre, nor quite as funny as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, but still a fun read. Pinnock pits our beloved Elizabeth against invaders from another planet and, on the whole, it does well, but some of the pop-culture in-jokes will probably not age quite as well as the ones based on more classic areas. This really is a major mash-up, not just between Austen and aliens, but also time, as the Regency meets the Victorian age too.

If you’re a fan of mash-ups, especially of Austen-based ones, you’ll probably enjoy this. If not, then you’re probably best to steer clear, as you simply won’t get it.

Stuart MacBride – Birthdays for the Dead

Not set in Aberdeen and not about Logan McRae or any of this colleagues, but it’s by Stuart Macbride and that’s more than good enough for me! I love his books! I have this in hardback (to add to my permanent collection along with the rest of MacBride’s books) and it will be my bedside table book for now.

Charles Dickens – Great Expectations (Kindle e-book)

This one features on several of my reading challenges, so I thought I’d make a start. The only Dickens I’ve ever read before now is A Christmas Carol. I don’t know why I’ve put off reading more of his work for so long, but I hope to remedy that over the course of this year.

Booking Through Thursday

What’s more important: Good writing? Or a good story?

(Of course, a book should have BOTH, but…)

Of course, a really good book has both, but if I had to sacrifice one for the other, I’d take average writing with an exciting and absorbing plot over an exquisitely written slice of dullsville.

I’ve enjoyed many competently written books where the riveting story has rattled along and kept me on the edge of my seat, but no matter how beautiful the writing is, if there is little to know plot, or if there’s a good plot but drawn out in such a way as to make it drag, then I’m afraid I’m not going to finish it, and it becomes a waste of my time and money.

Of course I’d prefer a winning combination of both elements, what reader in their right mind wouldn’t? But given the choice of only one, that’s my answer.

I love the cover on Empire State, the synopsis sounds pretty interesting as well. I think I'll have to stick it on my wish list. As you mentioned, the colour combination of red white and black really stands out. (And reminds me of The White Stripes)

Friday Finds

Share with us your FRIDAY FINDS!

By following links to blogs taking part in various memes, I’ve heard about so many great books it would be impossible to list them all. I’m also a regular visitor to our local library and am always eagerly awaiting newly published books by my favourite authors. However, here are the ones that really stood out for me this week and for which I’ll be looking out on future book acquisition expeditions:

They’ve all gone onto my wish list!

post-3572-0-87668800-1327623069_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-93431000-1327623073_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-56591900-1327623077_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-40935900-1327623083_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-93304700-1327623087_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-52346100-1327623091_thumb.jpg

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

post-3572-0-29828200-1327915122_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-86854800-1327915129_thumb.jpg

Tony Levy – A Turnkey Or Not? (e-book)

The Book Club Forum reviews team was contacted by the author with a request to review this autobiography by an ex-prison officer. As my Dad has been a prison officer in the Scottish Prison Service for 25 years, I thought I might find it interesting… and I was right! It’s an insightful, often humourous look at life on the in front of the bars, but inside the prison system and so far I love it!

Amor Towles – Rules of Civility

Another review request to the BCF reviews team, this time from the publisher. I’ve only just started this one so I can’t really comment on it so far, apart from to say that the writing is wonderful. I can only hope the plot and characters live up to that promise…

Cover Crazy - Mira, Mirror by Melle Ivie Harrison

4miramirror.jpg

What I love:

Actually, what I love most is the style of illustration! The cover art by Lori Koefoed is just so stunning, and I adore the composition of the figure in the mirror, the ornate frame, and the natural simplicity of the creeping ivy leaves and creatures. It smacks of fairytale adventures, but also speaks of a style that might mirror *ahem* Pratchett (take a look at the Discworld covers by Paul Kidby and you’ll see what I mean).

Synopsis:

Two sisters. One a witch and a queen. The other transformed by her sister’s touch into a mirror–a mirror with voice and memory and magic, but no power to transform herself back to the girl she once was. And then, mysteriously, the queen disappears and another girl finds the mirror. This girl has troubles of her own, but she is also a means to escape and soon the girl and the mirror are on their way to find the magic that will bring both pain and hope to both of them. Mette Harrison’s mesmerizing voice spins a breathtaking tale of love, lies, and redemption.

Musing Mondays

How far along are you in your current read before you

start thinking about what you’ll read next?

As I take part in WWW Wednesdays each week, I usually have a pretty fair idea of what I’ll be reading next and tend to stick to that unless something comes up, such as a book arriving for review, which then takes precedence over my original choice. The original choice still gets read, just a little later than expected. I don’t think there’s ever been a specific point in my current reading where I start thinking about the next book, but I usually think a couple of books ahead as I have such a HUGE load of unread books on my shelf!

January 2012 Book Round Up

I’ve made quite a roaring good start to the year thanks, partly, to my new obsession – the Kindle! That’s not to say I’ve been neglecting my paperbacks and hardbacks though – I’ve been reading those too. This month’s little lot of books sets me up nicely towards my target. I’m ostensibly aiming for a very modest book per week, but if I could manage to improve on last year’s total of 90, I’d be a very happy bookworm!

So, which books have I finished this month…?

post-3572-0-06778100-1327968341_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-42474400-1327968345_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-36160500-1327968349_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-40461600-1327968353_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-41531400-1327968357_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-05594800-1327968361_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-15662300-1327968366_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-58065800-1327968371_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-34203600-1327968376_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-56733100-1327968380_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-11159500-1327968385_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-05489300-1327968390_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-77175700-1327968396_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-39157100-1327968401_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-32450400-1327968405_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-57248900-1327968413_thumb.jpg

BOOKS FINISHED IN JANUARY

1. Joss Stirling – Stealing Phoenix (e-book) - 3/5

I picked this one up from Amazon Kindle free of charge and was pleased to find it was rather good. Having seen fellow bloggers raving about it, I tried not to get too hyped up, but I did enjoy it. The characters of Phoenix and Yves are easy to identify with, and the not-so-nice characters, although not really fleshed out as much as I would like (and with really dumb names – honestly, Dragon and Unicorn? Really?), they were suitably villainous and offered a pretty decent threat.

I’m not sure I enjoyed it enough to warrant going back and reading Finding Sky, but it was certainly an enjoyable enough way to pass a few hours.

2. Anna Katharine Green – X Y Z A Detective Story (e-book) - 2/5

I downloaded this free from Amazon as it fit the A-Z challenge nicely for that ever-so-tricky “X” entry. I read a lot of crime fiction, both modern and classic, so I suppose that directly affected my enjoyment of this. It was plodding and predictable, and had it been any longer, I may well have not bothered finishing it. The idea is sound enough, but the execution is pedestrian and nothing special. As it is such a short story, the characters were not fleshed out much at all, leaving them barely two-dimensional, and the plot was thin at best. Rather disappointing, but at least it served its purpose and completed that hard-to-fill spot on my challenge.

3. Cody Young – The Lady and the Locksmith (e-book) - 3/5

Cody Young has a lightness of touch which makes for very easy reading. Her characters are all very human (even if they are romanticised), the plotting is perfectly paced and the settings sumptuous. This romance is all the sweeter for its short length, as all the passion of the gentle yet swift love affair is swept along at a breathtaking pace, taking the reader along for the ride. I’m not usually a fan of romances, but I do make an exception for this author, as I love her style so much.

4. Cody Young – Johnny Doesn’t Drink Champagne (e-book) - 3/5

This has the singular distinction of being the only cross-genre novel I’ve come across which features vampires and time travel. Under normal circumstances, a vampire novel wouldn’t warrant a time travel element because vampires live, like, forever, but in this instance having that time slip makes it that little bit different and it really works.

Once again, we have Cody Young’s light touch and expert story telling, this time weaving the threads of historical and modern romance together, whilst tackling a 500 year old mystery that still confounds historians to this day, giving a plausible answer to one of the questions left unanswered since the War of the Roses. This has a universal appeal – really, anyone who likes anything to do with vampires, historical fiction and a little romance would do well to try this.

5. John H Carroll – The Emo Bunny That Should: A Story For Demented Children (e-book) - 3/5

A fun little tale of a depressed rabbit that inadvertently saves the day. It’s very short and should appeal to those who have a slightly dark or demented sense of humour. Which I do. Obviously.

6. Anne Brontë – Agnes Grey (e-book) - 4/5

Anne Bronte has become my favourite Bronte sister. Both her novels, but especially this, have a quiet kind of passion, and Agnes Grey displays a very reserved longing for love without showing any expectation of it.

Based on Anne’s personal experiences of being a governess, I wonder how much of this novel is based on fact and how much is fabrication, but either way, Anne’s deft handling of the characters and situation, in my opinion, outshines the ability of both her sisters, giving a much more natural and realistic impression of life and love at that time.

7. Patrick deWitt – The Sisters Brothers - 4/5

I’m not exactly sure what it is about this novel that I liked so much – I only know that I enjoyed it immensely. Perhaps it’s the simple eloquence of Eli Sisters’ narration that belies the complexities of character in both him and his brother. Perhaps it’s his dispassionate approach to killing juxtaposed by his wish to finally settle down and find a chance at love and redemption. Or perhaps it’s just that it’s a great story with great characters and the writing is superb.

Whatever it is, this has awakened in me a desire to try more westerns when, before this, I had no interest in them at all.

8. Philippa Gregory – The Women of the Cousins’ War - 5/5

This non-fiction study of the three women (Jaquetta of Luxembourg, Elizabeth Woodville, and Margaret Beaufort) portrayed in the Cousins’ War series is absolutely fascinating! I was aware that women have been marginalised throughout history, but I never stopped to think how those who did make it to the pages of the history books might have been so horrendously misrepresented.

If you’re a fan of historical fiction, especially of the period of unrest known as the War of the Roses, irrespective of whether you are a fan of Gregory’s novels, I think you’ll find this interesting.

9. Marissa Meyer – Cinder - 4/5

A cyborg Cinderella? Count me in! This is one of the most innovative twists on the Cinderella story I’ve encountered so far. I was intrigued by the cover when I saw it on a blog and reading the reviews confirmed it as something that would most likely appeal to me – it certainly lived up to its promise!

I absolutely loved the character of Cinder – her mix of cool machine and emotional person made for a great combination and she was both believable and sympathetic.

The setting could have been anywhere, if I’m brutally honest, as there was very little in the way of actual description or mention of traditions in New Beijing that might link it to old Beijing, but I get the feeling it’s a set up for the rest of the series, so I’m more than willing to let that slide ni the hopes that it’s developed further in the subsequent novels. I’ll certainly be looking out for the next book when it’s published.

10. Caroline Hanson – Bewitching the Werewolf (e-book) - 2/5

A fun, slightly sexy little paranormal romance short story. It could have done with being a little sexier, and even though it’s very short, I would have liked a little more character and romantic development. That said, for the short length, it’s entertaining enough and fills a half hour or so nicely.

11. Frances Hodgson Burnett – Little Lord Fauntleroy (e-book) - 4/5

Although I enjoyed the writing in this novel every bit as much as I did with The Secret Garden and A Little Princess, this story was a little more “goody-goody” than either of those. I think if I had actually known Little Lord Fauntleroy personally, he would have annoyed me intensely as he is just TOO good to be true. The story is also rather predictable so there were no actual surprises for me.

However, the writing is really excellent and it’s worth reading it just for the beautiful, flowing style as much as the sweet story. So, not quite as much of a favourite as the other two I’ve read, but still rather good.

12. Susan Hill – Howards End is on the Landing - 3/5

I’d heard so many wonderful things about this book that I think I fell victim to the hype and wanted to like it so much more than I did. That’s not to say it’s not good – it IS good, just not as good as I’d hoped.

Howards End is on the Landing: A Year of Reading from Home is less a love letter to the books Susan Hill loves, and more a recounting of the many anecdotes she has of meeting and working with other writers, and their books which have subsequently helped shape her life, both personally and professionally.

It’s a little dry in places and, I confess, it did not actually inspire me to search for any of the books mentioned that I had not already read, but I did enjoy some of the little stories that were triggered by Hill wandering round her book-filled home and choosing to read only books she already owns for a year.

If we were all to follow her example, I’m sure everyone’s “Final Forty” would look very different. Certainly, there are not many books on which she settles that I would include in my own list, and there are many others I would insist upon that are omitted, but, as I’ve already intimated, everyone’s tastes are different.

This is an interesting read for anyone who loves books and, who knows, may lead to others discovering the joys of those tomes Hill pulled down from her own shelves.

13. Jonathon Pinnock – Mrs. Darcy Versus the Aliens - 3/5

14. Anne Frasier – Hush (e-book) - 4/5

This is so good it’s hard to believe it’s a debut, so polished it the end result! It’s a taut crime thriller with precision plotting – I even fell for one or two of the red herrings (which, I’m proud to say, is a rare thing) – and I was kept literally on the edge of my seat for the entire thrilling journey.

The characters are endearingly, humanly flawed, the plot is gripping, and the writing is perfectly suited to the genre. I will certainly be trying more by this author because if this introduction to her works is indicative of her style, it will be a thrilling ride!

15. Jackson Pearce – Sisters Red (Fairytale Retellings 1) - 4/5

Not so much a modern retelling of a fairytale, but a modern paranormal urban adventure with fairytale overtones, Sisters Red gathers together elements of the Red Riding Hood story with Snow White and Rose Red, and sets in firmly in modern-day Atlanta, GA with the wolves being supernatural creatures, and the sisters themselves being anything but victims.

Jackson Pearce has twisted the tale and skewed it in such a way that the feisty heroines are a force to be reckoned with – woe betide the wolf that tries to prey on them! The scarred and battle-weary Scarlet is such a wonderful character that it would be easy to overlook her quieter younger sister, Rosie, were she not so brilliantly realised herself. As for Silas, well a good friend is always an asset and although these girls can stand firmly on their own two feet, an extra pair of hands always comes in handy in the fight against evil.

I’ll not say I didn’t see the big twist coming, because I did spot it quite early on, but I didn’t care because I still wanted to read on and find out where the story would go and what ,exactly, would become of our intrepid trio.

If you like your fairytale heroines practical, with no need to wait for rescue from a handsome prince, then the Sisters Red are the girls for you. Long may the new breed of folk legends and twisted tales continue!

16. Tony Levy – A Turnkey Or Not? (e-book) - 4/5

A Turnkey Or Not? is a humorous and frank autobiography by an ex-prison officer. As my Dad has been a prison officer in the Scottish Prison Service for 25 years, I thought I might find it interesting… and I was right! It’s an insightful, often surprising look at life on the outside of the bars, but inside the prison system and I loved it!

Levy’s professional life has been filled with quirky characters (and I actually feel he is one of them!) and his anecdotes are, more often than not, touched with a fondness for those featuring in this story of his work, and where friendly feelings have not been evident, he has been respectful and mindful of how others might take his revelations, giving nicknames and pseudonyms at every point.

Reading this book, I almost felt like I was meeting all his colleagues in person and I found I could picture them, hear their voices and join in their camaraderie as each chapter unfolded, and I progressed with them all, moving from one prison and position in the hierarchy to the next. Really, I almost felt like I was sitting having a coffee with an old friend who was recounting the more interesting episodes he had experienced and seeing the twinkle in Levy’s eye as he jests, then the more serious expressions as the tide turns.

Whether or not you know anyone who has ever been a prison officer, I think this has a broad appeal that should leave most readers feeling satisfied and entertained. It’s definitely well worth picking up.

post-3572-0-56580800-1327968419_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-44987000-1327968424_thumb.jpg

BOOKS STARTED, BUT CARRYING OVER TO FEBRUARY:

Amor Towles – Rules of Civility

Another review request to the BCF reviews team, this time from the publisher. I’ve only just started this one so I can’t really comment on it so far, apart from to say that the writing is wonderful. I can only hope the plot and characters live up to that promise…

SJ Parris – Heresy (e-book)

I love historical fiction. I also love murder myseries. What better way to entertain myself than to combine the two? I’ve read about a quarter of this and so far I love it! I can hardly wait to see where the story goes in this novel set during the reign of Elizabeth I. Already I think the rest of the series may be swiftly downloaded to my Kindle!

post-3572-0-81220900-1327968428_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-24668100-1327968433_thumb.jpg

PRIORITY FOR FEBRUARY

Jenn Ashworth – Cold Light

Yes, another review request. I’ve not started this one and all I know is bascially from the blurb. Suffice to say, that blurb sounded interesting enough to make me say “Yes,” to taking a look at it! I’ll be starting it as soon as I’ve finished the other two…

Catherine Cooper – The Golden Acorn (e-book)

This is the choice for February in the Kindle Klub group. We only choose e-books that are available for FREE download, so there’s no expense to take part if you have a Kindle. If you fancy joining us, please feel free. Just click on the link HERE.

Teaser Tuesday - Rules of Civility by Amor Towles

rules-of-civility-by-amor-towles.jpg

2. Open to a random page

4. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)

5. Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

My teaser:

That’s how quickly New York City comes about – like a weather vane – or the head of a cobra. Time tells which.

- page 161, Rules of Civility by Amor Towles

Synopsis:

In a jazz bar on the last night of 1937, watching a quartet because she couldn’t afford to see the whole ensemble, there were certain things Katey Kontent knew: the location of every old church in Manhattan; how to sneak into the cinema; how to type eighty words a minute, five thousand an hour, and nine million a year; and that if you can still lose yourself in a Dickens novel then everything is going to be fine.

By the end of the year she’d learned: how to live like a redhead and insist upon the very best; that riches can turn to rags in the trip of a heartbeat; chance encounters can be fated; and the word ‘yes’ can be a poison.

Top Ten Tuesday

Books that would make great book club picks

My top ten books that would make great book club picks are:

1. Vikas Swarup – Q&A
    I loved this one – the sight and sounds of India are all wrapped up in the intrigue of a fascinating life and the excitement of a televised big-money quiz show. This is way better than the film (Slumdog Millionaire).
  2. Lionel Shriver – We Need To Talk About Kevin
    I hated this one, but it certainly got discussion going in our group. I think it’s one of those Marmite books – you either love it or hate it.
  3. Patrick Süskind – Perfume
    This is a beautifully written account with an almost sympathetic view of a serial killer that really gets your heart and mind racing.
  4. John Boyne – The Boy In the Striped Pyjamas
    Incredibly poignant – this one moved us all to tears but was absolutely wonderful for it.
  5. Bret Easton Ellis – American Psycho
    A darkly satirical urban thriller. I think most people do not expect there to be such humour in a novel about a serial killer, but its here in spades.
  6. Margaret Atwood – The Handmaid’s Tale
    A harsh look at how the sexuality of women is taken to extremes in society, even without such harsh restraints.
  7. Kazuo Ishirugo – Never Let Me Go
    Hauntingly beautiful and sad, this makes us question the ethics of where modern medicine may be headed.
  8. Natsuo Kirino – Out
    It’s not often that women are the killers, but in this novel, life goes askew for a small group of women who find that when it comes to the crunch, they can do pretty much anything they set their mind to it.
  9. Jed Rubenfeld – The Interpretation of Murder
    An interesting look at how the mind of a murderer works, from the point of view of the pioneering psych-analysts Freud, Jung et al.
  10. John Wyndham – Day Of the Triffids
    A great look at how society adapts to overcome astronomical odds when disaster strikes.

You’ll notice I’ve not included any classics. That’s because it goes without saying that the likes of Austen, Dickens, the Brontë sisters et al are automatically great picks and it’s inevitable that a handful of those will get chosen and discussed at some point, but these more modern ones were all novels I’ve enjoyed discussing with other members of various books groups and they have a broad appeal, so anyone can get into them and find something discussion-worthy between the covers.

You’ll also see that murder plays a heavy role in my choices, but I only noticed this after compiling my list. I suspect it’s because I find the inner workings of the psychotic mind fascinating – they’ve certainly always got everyone talking at book group meetings I’ve attended!

post-3572-0-77669800-1328016061_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-55911300-1328016067_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-47430800-1328016072_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-09350300-1328016077_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-93810900-1328016082_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-58573900-1328016089_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-66893800-1328016094_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-38874800-1328016099_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-54554100-1328016106_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-86334300-1328016110_thumb.jpg

WWW Wednesday

WWW Wednesdays are hosted by MizB over at Should Be Reading.To play along, just answer the following three (3) questions…

* What are you currently reading?

* What did you recently finish reading?

* What do you think you’ll read next?

post-3572-0-58094800-1328107445_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-48304000-1328107457_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-25692200-1328107462_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-28043700-1328107467_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-78043000-1328107474_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-98325000-1328107481_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-09357100-1328107487_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-07729900-1328107491_thumb.jpg

Amor Towles – Rules of Civility (for review)

SJ Parris – Heresy (e-book)

I love historical fiction. I also love murder myseries. What better way to entertain myself than to combine the two? I’ve read about a quarter of this and so far I love it! I can hardly wait to see where the story goes in this novel set during the reign of Elizabeth I. Already I think the rest of the series may be swiftly downloaded to my Kindle!

Anne Frasier – Hush (e-book) - 4/5

This is so good it’s hard to believe it’s a debut, so polished it the end result! It’s a taut crime thriller with precision plotting – I even fell for one or two of the red herrings (which, I’m proud to say, is a rare thing) – and I was kept literally on the edge of my seat for the entire thrilling journey.

The characters are endearingly, humanly flawed, the plot is gripping, and the writing is perfectly suited to the genre. I will certainly be trying more by this author because if this introduction to her works is indicative of her style, it will be a thrilling ride!

Jackson Pearce – Sisters Red (Fairytale Retellings 1) - 4/5

Not so much a modern retelling of a fairytale, but a modern paranormal urban adventure with fairytale overtones, Sisters Red gathers together elements of the Red Riding Hood story with Snow White and Rose Red, and sets in firmly in modern-day Atlanta, GA with the wolves being supernatural creatures, and the sisters themselves being anything but victims.

Jackson Pearce has twisted the tale and skewed it in such a way that the feisty heroines are a force to be reckoned with – woe betide the wolf that tries to prey on them! The scarred and battle-weary Scarlet is such a wonderful character that it would be easy to overlook her quieter younger sister, Rosie, were she not so brilliantly realised herself. As for Silas, well a good friend is always an asset and although these girls can stand firmly on their own two feet, an extra pair of hands always comes in handy in the fight against evil.

I’ll not say I didn’t see the big twist coming, because I did spot it quite early on, but I didn’t care because I still wanted to read on and find out where the story would go and what ,exactly, would become of our intrepid trio.

If you like your fairytale heroines practical, with no need to wait for rescue from a handsome prince, then the Sisters Red are the girls for you. Long may the new breed of folk legends and twisted tales continue!

Tony Levy – A Turnkey Or Not? (e-book) - 4/5

A Turnkey Or Not?is a humorous and frank autobiography by an ex-prison officer. As my Dad has been a prison officer in the Scottish Prison Service for 25 years, I thought I might find it interesting… and I was right! It’s an insightful, often surprising look at life on the outside of the bars, but inside the prison system and I loved it!

Levy’s professional life has been filled with quirky characters (and I actually feel he is one of them!) and his anecdotes are, more often than not, touched with a fondness for those featuring in this story of his work, and where friendly feelings have not been evident, he has been respectful and mindful of how others might take his revelations, giving nicknames and pseudonyms at every point.

Reading this book, I almost felt like I was meeting all his colleagues in person and I found I could picture them, hear their voices and join in their camaraderie as each chapter unfolded, and I progressed with them all, moving from one prison and position in the hierarchy to the next. Really, I almost felt like I was sitting having a coffee with an old friend who was recounting the more interesting episodes he had experienced and seeing the twinkle in Levy’s eye as he jests, then the more serious expressions as the tide turns.

Whether or not you know anyone who has ever been a prison officer, I think this has a broad appeal that should leave most readers feeling satisfied and entertained. It’s definitely well worth picking up.

Jenn Ashworth – Cold Light (for review)

Yes, another review request. I’ve not started this one and all I know is bascially from the blurb. Suffice to say, that blurb sounded interesting enough to make me say “Yes,” to taking a look at it! I’ll be starting it as soon as I’ve finished the other two…

Catherine Cooper – The Golden Acorn (e-book)

This is the choice for February in the Kindle Klub group. We only choose e-books that are available for FREE download, so there’s no expense to take part if you have a Kindle. If you fancy joining us, please feel free. Just click on the link HERE. I’m certainly looking forward to reading and discussing it…

MD Keating – Sunburnt (for review)

I received this one from Goodreads for review yesterday morning, so it’s been bumped up to my “must read as soon as possible” pile.

Booking Through Thursday

Have you ever read a random book left in a waiting room or on a park bench, etc.,

and did you like it?

I did once find a BookCrossing book that had been left outside the local hospital when I went with my sister to visit her boyfriend, but we gave it to him to keep him entertained while he was in there, so I didn’t read it. I can’t even remember the title of it.

I’ve picked up books from various BookCrossing points, but I’ve never found one “in the wild” – not yet, anyway!

My sister did find a small pile of books left at a bus stop a short while ago, all copies of the same book – Dreamwords (book 1) by Paul Story. They were all in individual sealed clear plastic bags to protect them from the weather and each one contained a little little card which explained it was an “experiment in honesty”. Basically, the books were free to pick up and take away to read, but in doing so, the reader agrees to the following:

• I will read the book within one month
  • I will pay for this copy if I want to read book 2
  • I will otherwise send £1 anonymously to the author

I think it’s a wonderful idea and I shall be sending off my £1 very shortly (although I confess I haven’t got round to reading it just yet as I’ve been so busy and have several other books to read and review for publishers and authors). However, I’m looking forward to giving it a try.

dreamwordsbypaulstory.jpghonestycard.jpg

That's a fantastic idea! I wonder how well it's gone down with the general public, and just how honest people have been.

Friday Finds

Share with us your FRIDAY FINDS!

They’ve both gone onto my wish list!

post-3572-0-67575100-1328263640_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-80507200-1328263648_thumb.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a fantastic idea! I wonder how well it's gone down with the general public, and just how honest people have been.

According to the card that came with it, over 500 people have responded by either sending in the £1 or paying in full for it so they can get the next one, so I'd say it's working. This seems to have been the second round of these "honesty editions". :)

It’s Monday, What Are You Reading?

post-3572-0-78635200-1328528345_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-35497600-1328528353_thumb.jpg

Jenn Ashworth - Cold Light (R )

I’m only a few chapters into this one, but so far so good. Leaps back and forth between two timelines very effectively. I’m enjoying both the teen and adult versions of the characters, and there’s an undercurrent of very dark humour which appeals to me a great deal.

Catherine Cooper - The Golden Acorn (E/K)

Again, only a few chapters in, but it’s fairly decent so far. A bit of myth and magic for the children’s fantasy market. There’s the inevitable Harry Potter comparison (young boy who is the subject of a prophecy; magic; mythical creatures, etc), but I like the inclusion of Celtic mythology and Druidism used here.

~***~

Cover Crazy

2-tom-all-alones.jpg

What I love:

The starkness of the white on black contrasted by the delicately elegant curlicues of what looks like a wrought iron gate is rather beautiful, don’t you think? And I love how the author’s name is held in place by two of the fat little cherubs so that it, along with the title, becomes part of the gate. To me, a gate like this represents either an entrance to something mysterious, or a forbidding warning that the contents are not for everyone’s eyes…

Synopsis:

London, 1850. Charles Maddox had been an up-and-coming officer for the Metropolitan police until a charge of insubordination abruptly ended his career. Now he works alone, struggling to eke out a living by tracking down criminals. Whenever he needs it, he has the help of his great-uncle Maddox, a legendary ‘thief taker,’ a detective as brilliant and intuitive as they come.

On Charles’s latest case, he’ll need all the assistance he can get.

To his shock, Charles has been approached by Edward Tulkinghorn, the shadowy and feared attorney, who offers him a handsome price to do some sleuthing for a client. Powerful financier Sir Julius Cremorne has been receiving threatening letters, and Tulkinghorn wants Charles to – discreetly – find and stop whoever is responsible.

But what starts as a simple, open-and-shut case swiftly escalates into something bigger and much darker. As he cascades toward a collision with an unspeakable truth, Charles can only be aided so far by Maddox. The old man shows signs of forgetfulness and anger, symptoms of an age-related ailment that has yet to be named.

Intricately plotted and intellectually ambitious, Tom-All-Alone’s (aka The Solitary House) is an ingenious novel that does more than spin an enthralling tale: it plumbs the mysteries of the human mind.

~***~

Musing Mondays

Did you do any reading in lieu of watching the football game, yesterday,

or were you foregoing reading to watch the game?

If you read a book (or books) what did you choose?

I assume the intended reference is to the Superbowl, rather than the Chelsea/Manchester United footie match? Hubby was watching the Chelsea match on the computer in the background, but I’m afraid we don’t “do” the Superbowl in our house, seeing as how we’re in the UK and I’ve never watched gridiron football in my life!

Anyway, I didn’t get any reading done through the day. I very rarely do. It was a regular Sunday for us – grocery shopping and family time – so I spent most of the day playing with Xander, doing stuff on the computer and cooking (we had Bolognese for tea and I like to make it from scratch – delicious!).

I read a few chapters of Cold Light by Jenn Ashworth in bed before going to sleep, but that was it. Not much of a literary answer this week!

Teaser Tuesday

Cold Light by Jenn Ashworth

cold-light-by-jenn-ashworth.jpg?w=181&h=300

2. Open to a random page

My teaser:

This coverage will play all night. Chloe, upstaged at last. They haven’t named the body yet, but I know it is Wilson. I know.

page 8, Cold Light by Jenn Ashworth

Synopsis:

I’m sitting on my couch, watching the local news. There’s Chloe’s parents, the mayor, the hangers on, all grouped round the pond for the ceremony. It’s ten years since Chloe and Carl drowned, and they’ve finally chosen a memorial – a stupid summerhouse. The mayor has a spade decked out in pink and white ribbon, and he’s started to dig.

You can tell from their faces that something has gone wrong. But I’m the one who knows straightaway that the mayor has found a body. And I know who it is.

This is the tale of three fourteen-year-old girls and a volatile combination of lies, jealousy and perversion that ends in tragedy. Except the tragedy is even darker and more tangled than their tight-knit community has been persuaded to believe.

Blackly funny and with a surreal edge to its portrait of a northern English town, Jenn Ashworth’s gripping novel captures the intensity of girls’ friendships and the dangers they face in a predatory adult world they think they can handle. And it shows just how far that world is willing to let sentiment get in the way of the truth.

Another review request to the BCF reviews team, this time from the publisher. I’m about half way through and although it keeps skipping backwards and forwards across time, it holds together well and I’m enjoying it. The mystery is unfolding bit by bit…

Top Ten Tuesday

Books I hand people who say they don’t read

My top ten books I hand people who say they don’t read are actually some of my favourite books of all time (although not all):

1. The Chronicles of Narnia by C S Lewis
    I generally tell people not to bother with A Horse and His Boy, but the rest of the series is just wonderful.
  2. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
    This is actually my favourite of all her books. It’s all very well loving Pride and Prejudice or Emma, but I think people who haven’t read Austen get put off by those two and this one is far more accessible and exciting.
  3. The Plucker / The Devil’s Rose / The Child Thief by Brom (aka Gerald Brom)
    All three of these books are nothing short of brilliant. Brom’s artwork is astounding – dark and beautiful to the extreme – and his writing skills live up to their promise. These are the books I recommend to people most often and I’ve not heard of anyone being disappointed yet. The first two are illustrated novels; the third is a full length novel (with some ink drawings) and a reworking of the Peter Pan legend that, in my opinion, outstrips the original!
  4. The Princess Bride by William Golding
    Have you seen the film? It’s brilliant, isn’t it? The book is even better (although the film is an excellent adaptation) and has all the things you love about the film plus extra! If you loved the fact that Grandpa kept skipping bits, you’ll love that the book actually mentions doing the same and goes into some detail as to why. Don’t worry, it doesn’t hamper the flow – it adds to the experience. Everyone should own a copy of this book, so put it on your Xmas wish list immediately!
  5. Mort by Terry Pratchett
    I know, I know – it’s the fourth Discworld novel, but it’s where the series starts getting really good. I’ve never been a fan of the first two books, and although I love the third one (Wyrd Sisters) it’s still not quite as good as Mort at being a “feeder” into the series.
  6. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone by J K Rowling
    It’s the book that got a nation of non-reading children to read. Then it got the adults addicted to the series too. You can’t go far wrong with that, can you? It’s pretty much assured that if someone reads the first one, they’ll continue with the rest of the series!
  7. Bitten by Kelley Armstrong
    First in the Women of the Otherworld series. This one sinks its teeth into you and won’t let go.
  8. The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
    This was the one that really grabbed me and got me seriously into historical fiction. I’d barely dallied with the genre before this but I found myself fascinated and just kept going with more after this one got me hooked!
  9. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
    It’s one of those novels that is very easy to get into but really makes you think. Incredibly moving and beautifully written, it’s a surefire winner.
  10. The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
    If you’re looking for action, adventure, espionage and comedy, this has got the lot! It’s a really fun read and easy to go to in small bites which makes it less intimidating than you might imagine. It’s absolutely brilliant from start to finish.

Even if you’re already an avid reader, I hope you’ll give some of these a try!

post-3572-0-35187700-1328611898_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-18633800-1328611904_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-82688900-1328611908_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-76349100-1328611916_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-52794700-1328611921_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-88550600-1328611929_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-02461700-1328611935_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-00098900-1328611940_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-78329900-1328611944_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-70837600-1328611949_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-69951500-1328611956_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-25815500-1328611963_thumb.jpg