Kell's 2012 Reading Log

Kell

2006 reading (124 books + 21 short stories)

2007 reading (127 books)

2008 reading (58 books)

2009 reading (52 books)

2010 reading (58 books)

2011 Reading (90 Books)

Once again my aim is to read a book for each week of the year (52), which, as I proved in 2011, is doable, even with my limited reading time. I'll also be taking part in several challenges.

JANUARY TO JUNE READING

JULY TO DECEMBER READING

Reading Challenges:

2012 Genre Challenge

Bookie Friends Favourites Challenge

Bucket List Challenge

Off the Shelf Challenge

A-Z Challenge

Classics Challenge

E-Books Challenge

Weekly Book Memes:

Musing Mondays (Hosted by Should Be Reading)

Cover Crazy (Hosted by The Book Worms)

It’s Monday, What Are You Reading? (Hosted by Sheila)

Teaser Tuesday (Hosted by Should Be Reading)

Top Ten Tuesday (Hosted by Broke and Bookish)

WWW Wednesday (Hosted by Should Be Reading)

Booking Through Thursday (Hosted by BTT)

Friday Finds (Hosted by Should Be Reading)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JANUARY TO JUNE READING

Aim: 52 books in 2012

Finished so far: 34 / 52

Abandoned: 3

RATINGS:

1/5 Dire - don't waste your time

2/5 OK, but nothing to write home about

3/5 Very good - well worth a read

4/5 Excellent

5/5 Superb - read it immediately!

KEY:

E - E-Book

R - Reviewing for publisher or author

BG - Reading for book group

blue - currently reading

red - abandoned unfinished

~***~

FINISHED IN JANUARY: 16

1. Joss Stirling - Stealing Phoenix (E) - 3/5

2. Anna Katharine Green – X Y Z A Detective Story (E) - 2/5

3. Cody Young - The Lady and the Locksmith (E) - 3/5

4. Cody Young - Johnny Doesn't Drink Champagne (E) - 3/5

5. John H Carroll - The Emo Bunny That Should (E) - 3/5

6. Anne Bronte - Agnes Grey (E) - 4/5

7. Patrick deWitt - The Sisters Brothers - 4/5

8. Philippa Gregory - The Women of the Cousins’ War: The Duchess, the Queen and the King’s Mother - 5/5

9. Marissa Meyer - Cinder - 4/5

10. Caroline Hanson - Bewitching the Werewolf (E) - 2/5

11. Frances Hodgson Burnett - Little Lord Fauntleroy (E) - 4/5

12. Susan Hill - Howards End is on the Landing - 3/5

13. Jonathan Pinnock - Mrs Darcy Versus the Aliens - 3/5

14. Anne Frasier - Hush (E) - 4/5

15. Jackson Pearce - Sisters Red - 4/5

16. Tony Levy - A Turnkey Or Not? ® - 4/5

FINISHED IN FEBRUARY: 6

17. Amor Towles - Rules of Civility (R ) - 3/5

18. SJ Parris - Heresy (E) - 4/5

19. Jenn Ashworth - Cold Light (R ) - 3/5

M. D. Keating - Sunburnt (R ) - ADANDONED

20. Catherine Cooper - The Golden Acorn (E) - 3/5

21. Charlaine Harris - Dead Reckoning (Southern Vampires 11) - 3/5

22. Stuart MacBride - Birthdays for the Dead - 3/5

FINISHED IN MARCH: 5

23. Charles Dickens - Great Expectations (E) - 2/5

24. Terry Pratchett - Snuff (S) - 3/5

Lew Wallace - Ben-Hur (E/BG/C) - ABANDONED

25. Georgette Heyer - Regency Buck - 3/5

26. Thomas Hoover - Caribee (E) - 4/5

27. Steven Scaffardi - The Drought (R ) - 4/5

FINISHED IN APRIL: 4

28. Mark Stevens - Broadmoor Revealed: Victorian Crime and the Lunatic Assylum (E) - 4/5

29. David Nordmark - Lose Weight Without Dieting The Animal Kingdom Way (E) - 3/5

30. Richard Herley - The Penal Colony (E) - 4/5

31. Richard Castle and Brian Bendis - Deadly Storm (graphic novel) - 4/5

FINISHED IN MAY: 2

32. Simon Haynes - Hal Spacejock (E) - 2/5

33. Jules Verne - Around the World In 80 Days (E) - 4/5

Jules Verne - The Mysterious Island (E/C) - ABANDONED

FINISHED IN JUNE:

34. Robyn Young - Insurrection (Insurrection Trilogy 1) (R ) - 2/5

JULY TO DECEMBER READING

Aim: 52 books in 2012

Finished so far: 62 / 52

Abandoned: 4

RATINGS:

1/5 Dire - don't waste your time

2/5 OK, but nothing to write home about

3/5 Very good - well worth a read

4/5 Excellent

5/5 Superb - read it immediately!

KEY:

R - Reviewed for author or publisher

C - reading Circle

green - currently reading

red - abandoned unfinished

~***~

FINISHED IN JULY: 2

35. Jude Morgan - The Secret Life of William Shakespeare (R ) - 3/5

36. Gabriella Pierce - 666 Park Avenue(R ) - 4/5

FINISHED IN AUGUST: 6

37. Charles Ogden - Edgar and Ellen: Rare Beasts - 4/5

38. Charles Ogden - Edgar and Ellen: Tourist Trap - 4/5

39. Charles Ogden - Edgar and Ellen: Under Town - 4/5

40. Charles Ogden - Edgar and Ellen:Pet's Revenge - 4/5

41. Charles Ogden - Edgar and Ellen:High Wire - 4/5

42. L R Fredericks - Fate (R ) - 4/5

FINISHED IN SEPTEMBER: 3

Everett Peacock - Death By Facebook (E) - ABANDONED

43. Marina Fiorato - The Venetian Contract (R ) - 4/5

44. Charles Ogden - Edgar and Ellen: Nod's Limbs - 4/5

45. Paranormalcy - Kiersten White (C ) - 4/5

FINISHED IN OCTOBER: 5

46. Suzanne Johnson – Royal Street(R ) - 3/5

47.Stephen Jones - Zombie Apocalypse! Fight Back (R ) - 4/5

48. Charles Jennings - A Brief Guide to Jane Austen: The Life and Times of the World's Favourite Author (R ) - 5/5

49. Regina O'Melveny - The Book of Madness and Cures (R ) - 3/5

50. Richard Castle – Heat Rises (Nikki Heat 3) - 3/5

FINISHED IN NOVEMBER: 5

51. Suzanne Collins - The Hunger Games - 4/5

52. Malinda Lo - Huntress - 3/5

53. David Couldrey - The Fall of Charlie Dixon (R ) - 4/5

54. Philippa Gregory - The Changeling - 3/5

55. George RR Martin - Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire 1) - 4/5

FINISHED IN DECEMBER: 7

56. Lexi Revellion – The Ice Diaries (R ) - 3/5

57. Lexi Revellion – Replica (R ) - 4/5

58. Carole Matthews – Winter Warmers (K) - 3/5

59. Philippa Gregory – Changeling (Order of Darkness #1) - 3/5

60. Amy Cross – Ghosts: Book 1 (K) - 2/5

61. C W Gortner – The Queen’s Vow (R / B) - 4/5

62. Catherine M Valente – The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland In A Ship Of Her Own Making - 3/5

• 3 weeks later...

I know the new year doesn't technically start till tomorrow, but that's my new thread all set up and ready to go. I'm carrying over one book from 2011 which I've barely started, but the rest will all be new starts for 2012.

As you can see, I'm taking part in several reading challenges, but lots of my choices overlap, which makes things much easier and not such a daunting prospect!

In 2011, I aimed to read a book each week for a total of 52, but managed to surpass it by quite a lot, finishing on 90 books, which I could hardly believe! I am, however, remaining realistic and aiming once more for 52 as my manageable target. If I beat it, I'll be happy. If I beat 2011's total, I'll be extremely pleased!

So, let the new year of reading commence!

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

imwayr.jpg

Philippa Gregory – The Women of the Cousins’ War (S/AZ/BL)

This one’s non-fiction, which I don’t usually read, but I adored the Cousins’ War trilogy and found the women featured in them to be very interesting and wanted to find out more. As I also love Philippa Gregory’s writing, the publication of this book seemed the perfect opportunity for me to delve a little deeper.

Patrick deWitt – The Sisters Brothers (G/AZ/BL)

I don’t usually read westerns, so this one is something completely different for me and so far (only a couple of chapters in) it’s pretty good. I already like Eli Sisters and am wary of his brother. I think I may well become something of a convert to the western genre if I enjoy this one. I’ve been thinking of trying Lonesome Dove too…

Joss Stirling – Stealing Phoenix (K/G/BL)

I’ve seen this one all over the blogosphere and it always seems to have positive reviews, so it was a no brainer including it on my reading list as a cross over for two challenges. Just started it, so I can’t really comment yet. I’m looking forward to getting into it though, so watch this space!

Cover Crazy - Howards End is on the Landing by Susan Hill

howardsendisonthelandin.jpg

What I love:

Are you kidding? It’s very beautiful book spines, what’s not to love? I also adore that the title and author’s name is presented as those of one of the books on the front cover – they are unobtrusive and look natural, and not contrived. And look – even the “tag line” is included as the “title” of the next book. How cool is that? The whole cover gives a look and feel of old books that have sat on your shelf a while, which is the whole idea of this book – picking up those long neglected tomes and re-reading them. Genius!

I bought this one with some of my Xmas money and can hardly wait to crack it open!

Synopsis:

This is a year of reading from home, by one of Britain’s most distinguished authors. Early one autumn afternoon in pursuit of an elusive book on her shelves, Susan Hill encountered dozens of others that she had never read, or forgotten she owned, or wanted to read for a second time. The discovery inspired her to embark on a year-long voyage through her books, forsaking new purchases in order to get to know her own collection again. A book which is left on a shelf for a decade is a dead thing, but it is also a chrysalis, packed with the potential to burst into new life. Wandering through her house that day, Hill’s eyes were opened to how much of that life was stored in her home, neglected for years. “Howard’s End is on the Landing” charts the journey of one of the nation’s most accomplished authors as she revisits the conversations, libraries and bookshelves of the past that have informed a lifetime of reading and writing.

Musing Monday

What is/are the first book(s) you’re reading for the new year?

Philippa Gregory – The Women of the Cousins’ War

Carried over from the end of December as I’d only just started it.

Patrick deWitt – The Sisters Brothers

My first foray into westerns…

Joss Stirling – Stealing Phoenix

On my new Kindle.

Argh! No! I thought Stealing Phoenix WAS the first in the series! Will have to pan that idea and go back to read the first one now. Thanks for the heads up!

Or would it be OK as a stand alone, do you think? I'm guessing not, but it's always worth asking...

ETA: Having just looked at the synopses for both novels, they seem to be about different characters, so I'm going to chance it and go ahead with Stealing Phoenix. Fantastic Fiction doesn't seem to mention them as part of the same series, which is odd if they are - they're just listed as novels by the author with no series mentioned.

It could works as a stand alone but it does make references to the first book and the first book sets the scene for the series. Each book follows one of the brothers and the first book explains why each of the brothers is special. And it's really good! :-))

@ Inver - Well, I do try - LOL! ;)

@ Chaliepud - I came across a mention of Sky (she's in the first bok, isn't she?) tonight, but so far not reading the previous book isn't hampering my enjoyment of it. It's a very nice idea and so far it's very nicely handled. I ven smiled at a brief reference to Newcastle and Aberdeen. ;)

Teaser Tuesday

sistersbrothers.jpg

1. Grab your current read

2. Open to a random page

3. Share two “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page

4. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)

5. Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

My teaser:

He poured me another drink and I drank it. As much to myself as to Charlie I said, “He wants to pay for a lead man, that’s fine. But it’s bad business to short the man underneath. I got my leg gouged out and my horse burned to death working for him.”

page 8, The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

Synopsis:

Hermann Kermit Warm is going to die. The enigmatic and powerful man known only as the Commodore has ordered it, and his henchmen, Eli and Charlie Sisters, will make sure of it. Though Eli doesn’t share his brother’s appetite for whiskey and killing, he’s never known anything else. But their prey isn’t an easy mark, and on the road from Oregon City to Warm’s gold-mining claim outside Sacramento, Eli begins to question what he does for a living-and whom he does it for.

With The Sisters Brothers, Patrick deWitt pays homage to the classic Western, transforming it into an unforgettable comic tour de force. Filled with a remarkable cast of characters-losers, cheaters, and ne’er-do-well from all stripes of life-and told by a complex and compelling narrator, it is a violent, lustful odyssey through the underworld of the 1850s frontier that beautifully captures the humor, melancholy, and grit of the Old West and two brothers bound by blood, violence, and love.

What I think of it so far:

I’m only a couple of chapters in, but I’m enjoying it so far. I’m completely new to the western genre (the closest I’ve come to reading any westerns is The Little House books by Laura Ingles Wilder when I was a kid). I’m not sure why I’ve always avoided this genre, but I have – there you go. Perhaps this novel will completely turn me around and I’ll find myself grabbing all the westerns I can find. I’ve already been considering reading Lonesome Dove…

Top Ten Tuesday

post-3572-0-96162800-1325549257_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-95857300-1325549262_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-74581500-1325549267_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-76152500-1325549273_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-73878600-1325549278_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-94156300-1325549284_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-87749200-1325549290_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-38588000-1325549300_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-29208500-1325549305_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-45113700-1325549310_thumb.jpg

Top Ten books I'm excited to read in 2012:

1. Snuff by Terry Pratchett
    This is the 39th book in the Discworld series and I’ve not had the chance to read it yet. I’m especially excited because it’s a Vimes book and I love him best of all!
  2. Heat Rises by Richard Castle
    The third Nikki Heat novel. Yes, I know Richard Castle himself is actually a fictional character from a TV show, but the books are pretty good and I can hardly wait to continue with the series.
  3. Richard Castle’s Deadly Storm by Brian M Bendis and Richard Castle
    A graphic novel of one of the fictional crime fiction novels by the fictional crime fiction novelist. I know, it sounds complicated, but I think this will be excellent!
  4. Birthdays for the Dead by Stuart MacBride
    A stand alone novel from the Scottish King of Gritty Crime Thrillers? Yes, please! I adore MacBride’s work (and can vouch for him being a very nice guy too), so I’m dying to get my hands on this.
  5. Shatter the Bones by Stuart Macbride
    the seventh Logan McRae book. This series keeps getting better and better. Seriously, if you haven’t read anything by this author, start with Cold Granite and then grab the rest as quickly as possible to play catch up!
  6. The Kingmaker’s Daughter by Philippa Gregory
    The next in the Cousins’ War series. There isn’t even a cover shown anywhere for this yet! This series is seriously good and I was afraid it was at an end after The Lady of the Rivers, but it seems I was joyfully wrong!
  7. Praetorian by Simon Scarrow
    Eleventh in the Romans series (which starts with Under the Eagle). Another series that starts high and continues to rise. If you like historical fiction, read these. If you’re into Roman historical fiction, you probably already have!
  8. Thirteen by Kelley Armstrong
    The aptly titled thirteenth book in the Women of the Otherworld series, which is probably my favourite paranormal/supernatural urban fantasy series ever.
  9. Where the Devil Drives by Christopher Brookmyre
    I adore Brookmyre’s wicked-dark sense of humour – it’s absolutely pitch-black. His writing and plotting are also so tight you could bounce a coin off them. This one appears to be a stand alone novel and I know very little about it. I only know I’m desperate to read it!
  10. Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
    Are you kidding? From the moment I first saw this raved about on a blog (and then on about a dozen other blogs too) this book got me excited. I am determined I’ll read it this year!

WWW Wednesday

WWW Wednesdays are hosted by MizB over at Should Be Reading.To play along, just answer the following three (3) questions…

* What are you currently reading?

* What did you recently finish reading?

* What do you think you’ll read next?

post-3572-0-43714200-1325680954_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-37689500-1325680958_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-63840100-1325680962_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-43640700-1325680967_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-03867300-1325680984_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-90853700-1325680990_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-91939600-1325681001_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-25019100-1325681007_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-50953900-1325681013_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-41013900-1325681018_thumb.jpg

What are you currently reading?

This one’s non-fiction, which I don’t usually read, but I adored the Cousins’ War trilogy and found the women featured in them to be very interesting and wanted to find out more. As I also love Philippa Gregory’s writing, the publication of this book seemed the perfect opportunity for me to delve a little deeper.

I don’t usually read westerns, so this one is something completely different for me and so far (only a couple of chapters in) it’s pretty good. I already like Eli Sisters and am wary of his brother. I think I may well become something of a convert to the western genre if I enjoy this one. I’ve been thinking of trying Lonesome Dove too…

Joss Stirling – Stealing Phoenix

I’ve seen this one all over the blogosphere and it always seems to have positive reviews, so it was a no brainer including it on my reading list as a cross over for two challenges. I’m a few chapters in and already engrossed.

What did you recently finish reading? (all finished in December 2011)

Bettie Sharpe – Ember (Kindle e-book) - 5/5

A different view of the Cinderella story which turns what we think we know upside down. I have to say it is utterly brilliant! I’ve always loved reworked fairytales, but this one really is excellent. The subversion of the characters we all know and love works so well here that Sharpe has instantly become a new favourite author of mine! Ember is an innovative and inventive piece of fairytale fantasy that is anything but fluffy. There are some sex scenes and some naughty language, sl this one is strictly for the adults. It’s under a quid, so if you have a Kindle, download it NOW! If you don’t have a kindle, you can also read it free on the author’s website.

Cody Young – Scandal at the Farmhouse (Kindle e-book) - 4/5

Young is another author who is fast becoming a favourite of mine. I reviewed another of her novels (American Smile) a few months ago and am pleased to say that this historical romance lives up to the style that worked so well in her period-hopping modern novel. The writing is lively, the characters bursting with energy and the passion smoulders so much I’m surprised my Kindle didn’t burst into flames!

Brian McGilloway – The Stolen Child (Kindle e-book) - 2/5

This was another short read but was rather disappointing. In fact, it was so uninspiring, I can’t even remember any of the character names and there were precious few of them. The idea is solid enough, but the execution is poor. If you have an hour or so to kill and have it on your Kindle, by all mean try it, but don’t go out of your way for it.

Amanda Hocking – Hollowland (Hollows 1) (Kindle e-book) - 3/5

I’d seen this one recommended all over the blogosphere and couldn’t resist downloading it to my Kindle, especially as it’s currently FREE! Well, how could I turn down a bargain like that? It certainly lived up to the glowing reviews. I don’t usually like zombie stories so much, but this one is engrossing and gives a plausible explanation for the shambling undead. It also helps that I like the characters a great deal and desperately wanted them to succeed! It’s also left tantalisingly open for a sequel…

Amanda Grange – Darcy’s Diary (Kindle e-book) - 4/5

One always worries, when reading a spin-off from a well-loved classic, that the characters will not be done justice and one cannot fail but to be severely disappointed. Sometimes, however, one finds those fears are completely unfounded when a gem such as this is presented. It is nothing more than the retelling of Pride and Prejudice, told from Mr Darcy’s point of view in diary form, but it is an exercise in exquisite execution. Darcy’s pride and offhand manner are captured perfectly and it’s refreshing to see the motivation behind many of his actions, as well as those moments we didn’t see in Pride and Prejudice, when Darcy was elsewhere. Highly recommended.

What do you think you’ll read next?

Anna Katharine Green - X Y Z A Detective Story (Kindle e-book)

I seem to read faster on the Kindle, so chances are I’ll be on another e-book before I finish another physical book. This one is covered by more than one of my reading challenges.

Jonathan Pinnock – Mrs Darcy Versus the Aliens

Bought with some of my Xmas money. This one is covered by several of my challenges and just looks awesome.

Booking Through Thursday

Interview Part 1

If you could sit down and interview anyone, who would it be?

And, what would you ask them?

As this is a book meme, I’m assuming that the question refers to authors, in which case, I’d like to interview Jane Austen. I’d start with the following few questions:

1. What’s it like being a renowned female author in a world predominantly filled with male authors?
  2. How much of your writing is based on personal experience, how much on observation of others, and how much is pure fantasy?
  3. Which of your own published novels is your favourite and why?
  4. Which of your heroines do you feel is most like you and why?
  5. Which of your heroes is the one you feel would be the best match for yourself and why?

austennovels.jpg janeaustene.jpg

Friday Finds

What great books did you hear about / discover this past week?

Share with us your FRIDAY FINDS!

By following links to blogs taking part in various memes, I’ve heard about so many great books it would be impossible to list them all. I’m also a regular visitor to our local library and am always eagerly awaiting newly published books by my favourite authors. However, here are the ones that really stood out for me this week and for which I’ll be looking out on future book acquisition expeditions:

They’ve both gone onto my wish list!

post-3572-0-46337200-1325840877_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-63521800-1325840881_thumb.jpg

As part of my mass clearout, I've been seeing which of the unread books I have are available as free downloads on the Kindle, and have just replaced many of the classics I have had sitting on the shelf for ages. Hopefuly this will help gear me towards reading them a bit sooner as I'm finding I read faster on the Kindle and therefore I'll hopefully be more inclined to try tackling these on it. It also frees up some extra shelf space... ;)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

post-3572-0-41062900-1326098627_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-06353800-1326098633_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-17797700-1326098640_thumb.jpg

Philippa Gregory – The Women of the Cousins’ War (S/AZ/BL)

I’m about half way through this non-fiction book at the moment and it’s absolutely fascinating.

Patrick deWitt – The Sisters Brothers (G/AZ/BL)

Half way through this one as well. I really like Eli Sisters and seeing things from his point of view makes him all the sweeter, despite him being a killer.

Anne Brontë – Agnes Grey (G/BL/S/E/AZ/C)

I thought it time to start on a classic. I’ve had this in hard copy for ages, but in a mass clearout, I’ve replaced it with a free e-book version so I can take it with me to work.

Cover Crazy - The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

2sistersbrothers.jpg

What I love:

The red, black and white combination; the stylised figures holding guns; the face in the moon obscured by the figures; the clear font for the title and western style font for the author’s name.

Synopsis:

Hermann Kermit Warm is going to die. The enigmatic and powerful man known only as the Commodore has ordered it, and his henchmen, Eli and Charlie Sisters, will make sure of it. Though Eli doesn’t share his brother’s appetite for whiskey and killing, he’s never known anything else. But their prey isn’t an easy mark, and on the road from Oregon City to Warm’s gold-mining claim outside Sacramento, Eli begins to question what he does for a living-and whom he does it for.

With The Sisters Brothers, Patrick deWitt pays homage to the classic Western, transforming it into an unforgettable comic tour de force. Filled with a remarkable cast of characters-losers, cheaters, and ne’er-do-wells from all stripes of life-and told by a complex and compelling narrator, it is a violent, lustful odyssey through the underworld of the 1850s frontier that beautifully captures the humor, melancholy, and grit of the Old West and two brothers bound by blood, violence, and love.

Musing Monday

Are there any “raved reads” –books that everyone seems to be talking about– that you’re hoping to get read this year, yourself?

What books are they, and why are you hoping to read them? Is it because you want to say you’ve read it? Or, would you have chosen to read it, even if you’d discovered it yourself, and no one was raving about it?

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

I’ve seen this one all over the blogosphere and I’m quite seperate to read it. Everything about it appeals to me from the cover to the plot, and I believe that even if I were the first to spot it, I would have liked the look of it and wanted to read it.

10-anna-dressed-in-blood.jpg

Teaser Tuesday

3agnesgrey.jpg

1. Grab your current read

2. Open to a random page

3. Share two “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page

4. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)

5. Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

My teaser:

All true histories contain instruction; though, in some, the treasure may be hard to find, and when found, so trivial in quantity, that the dry, shrivelled kernel scarcely compensates for the trouble of cracking the nut. Whether this be the case with my history or not, I am hardly competent to judge.

- page 1, Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë

Synopsis:

Drawing directly on her own unhappy experiences, Anne Brontë’s first-person narrative describes the almost unbelievable pressures endured by nineteenth-century governesses – the isolation, the frustration, and the insensitive and sometimes cruel treatment meted out by employers and their families. Distinguished by its sharp, often ironic observation of middle-class social behaviour, this deeply personal novel also touches on religious belief, moral responsibility, and individual integrity and its survival.

What I think of it so far:

I’m about a third of the way through and although I can’t say an awful lot has happened, it is certainly holding my interest. Agnes is rather a lovely character and I can’t help thinking I should have liked to be friends with Anne Brontë if Agnes is anywhere close to being true to her own character.

I’m actually reading this on my Kindle so the actual page number isn’t listed, but this quote is the opening lines of the novel, hence I’ve noted it as being the first page.

Top Ten Tuesday

post-3572-0-66313600-1326190163_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-18489300-1326190169_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-36441500-1326190175_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-38367700-1326190179_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-56067600-1326190185_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-65267700-1326190190_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-91656700-1326190194_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-17413500-1326190199_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-89453300-1326190202_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-92999000-1326190206_thumb.jpg

The top ten authors I wish would write another book are:

1. Jane Austen
    I love her novels and wish there were more of them.
  2. Harper Lee
    Only wrote To Kill a Mockingbird – if you’re only going to write one, make it a great one!
  3. Brom (aka Gerald Brom)
    I’m sure he will write another novel, but I wish he’d hurry up! I’ve not seen or heard any news about another novel in the pipeline…
  4. Margaret Mitchell
    Gone With the Wind became an instant favourite of mine after I read it last year.
  5. Emily Brontë
    Wuthering Heights was so full of passion, and I would like to see where she would ahve gone next…
  6. Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
    Good Omens was so fantastic I wish they would collaborate on another. Perhaps a sequel. Wouldn’t that be great?
  7. J K Rowling
    It’s been four years since the last Harry Potter novel was published and I’d like to see what she does next – preferably nothing to do with the world of Potter.
  8. Ben Elton
    I much prefer him as an author than a comedian, and I wish he’d hurry up and pen another!
  9. David Baddiel
    Another comedian-turned-writer. He tends to leave lasrge gaps between books, so although I’ve not yet read his most recent, I hope he’s already writing another!
  10. Holly A Harvey
    Her debut novel, Karma, was sweet and funny and was published in 2007. I do so wish she’d write another!

Just downloaded another load of free e-books to my Kindle from Amazon UK:

1. The Lost Art of World Domination by Derek Landy
  2. Booksurfers: Treasure Island by David Gatward
  3. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
  4. Little Men by Louisa May Alcott
  5. Design on a Crime by Ginny Aiken
  6. Tom Sawyer Abroad by Mark Twain
  7. Tom Sawyer Detective by Mark Twain
  8. A Double Barrelled Detective Story by Mark Twain
  9. White Fang by Jack London
  10. Little Lord Fauntleroy by Frances Hodgson Burnett
  11. The Lost Prince by Frances Hodgson Burnett
  12. A Lady of Quality by Frances Hodgson Burnett
  13. The Vampyre; a Tale by John William Polidori
  14. The Man Who Knew Too Much by G K Chesterton
  15. Mrs. Lirriper's Lodgings by Charles Dickens
  16. The Legends of King Arthur and his Knights by Sir James Knowles
  17. The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss

I am LOVING all these freebies! :)

WWW Wednesday

What did you recently finish reading?

0overview.jpg

This non-fiction study of the three women portrayed in the Cousins’ War series is absolutely fascinating! I was aware that women have been marginalised throughout history, but I never stopped to think how those who did make it to the pages of the history books might have been so horrendously misrepresented. If you’re a fan of historical fiction, especially of the period of unrest known as the War of the Roses, irrespective of whether you are a fan of Gregory’s novels, I think you’ll find this interesting.

I’m still not very far into this one, but I’m enjoying it rather a lot. Charlie and Eli are a bag of contradictions, both simple and complex at the same time, and Eli in particular has my interest firmly grabbed.

Anne Brontë – Agnes Grey (e-book)

I’m about a third of the way through and although I can’t say an awful lot has happened, it is certainly holding my interest. Agnes is rather a lovely character and I can’t help thinking I should have liked to be friends with Anne Brontë if Agnes is anywhere close to being true to her own character.

What did you recently finish reading?

Joss Stirling – Stealing Phoenix (e-book) - 3/5

I picked this one up from Amazon Kindle free of charge and was pleased to find it was rather good. Having seen fellow bloggers raving about it, I tried not to get too hyped up, but I did enjoy it. The characters of Phoenix and Yves are easy to identify with, and the not-so-nice characters, although not really fleshed out as much as I would like (and with really dumb names – honestly, Dragon and Unicorn? Really?), they were suitably villainous and offered a pretty decent threat.

I’m not sure I enjoyed it enough to warrant going back and reading Finding Sky, but it was certainly an enjoyable enough way to pass a few hours.

Anna Katharine Green – X Y Z A Detective Story (e-book) - 2/5

I downloaded this free from Amazon as it fit the A-Z challenge nicely for that ever-so-tricky “X” entry. I read a lot of crime fiction, both modern and classic, so I suppose that directly affected my enjoyment of this. It was plodding and predictable, and had it been any longer, I may well have not bothered finishing it. The idea is sound enough, but the execution is pedestrian and nothing special. As it is such a short story, the characters were not fleshed out much at all, leaving them barely two-dimensional, and the plot was thin at best. Rather disappointing, but at least it served its purpose and completed that hard-to-fill spot on my challenge.

Cody Young – The Lady and the Locksmith (e-book) - 3/5

Cody Young has a lightness of touch which makes for very easy reading. Her characters are all very human (even if they are romanticised), the plotting is perfectly paced and the settings sumptuous. This romance is all the sweeter for its short length, as all the passion of the gentle yet swift love affair is swept along at a breathtaking pace, taking the reader along for the ride. I’m not usually a fan of romances, but I do make an exception for this author, as I love her style so much.

Cody Young – Johnny Doesn’t Drink Champagne (e-book) - 3/5

This has the singular distinction of being the only cross-genre novel I’ve come across which features vampires and time travel. Under normal circumstances, a vampire novel wouldn’t warrant a time travel element because vampires live, like, forever, but in this instance having that time slip makes it that little bit different and it really works.

Once again, we have Cody Young’s light touch and expert story telling, this time weaving the threads of historical and modern romance together, whilst tackling a 500 year old mystery that still confounds historians to this day, giving a plausible answer to one of the questions left unanswered since the War of the Roses. This has a universal appeal – really, anyone who likes anything to do with vampires, historical fiction and a little romance would do well to try this.

John H Carroll – The Emo Bunny That Should: A Story For Demented Children (e-book) - 3/5

A fun little tale of a depressed rabbit that inadvertently saves the day. It’s very short and should appeal to those who have a slightly dark or demented sense of humour. Which I do. Obviously.

Marissa Meyer – Cinder

Bought with my Xmas money after spotting it on several blogs with very favourable reviews. Dying to read it!

Classics Challenge January Prompt

About the Author – Anne Brontë

I’m currently reading Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë and am about half way through.

Anne Brontë was born in January 1820, and was the youngest of the famous writing Brontë sisters. She spent her youth living in Haworth on the Yorkshire Moors, and at the age of nineteen became a governess and remained so for six years.

Her first novel, Agnes Grey (1847), was based on her experiences as a governess. Her other novel, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall was published a year later. Although she collaborated on a volume of poetry with her sisters, she never wrote any other novels, and her life was tragically cut short when she died, aged 29, of pulmonary tuberculosis.

Interesting facts:

• Anne and her sisters considered the possibility of setting-up their own school, but the idea never came to fruition.
  • All three sisters wrote under pseudonyms – Currer, Ellis and Acton Bell. Currer was Charlotte, Ellis was Emily and Acton was Anne.

Anne’s writing style differs from that of her sisters in that she’s far more realistic in her approach, and less romantic. She comes across as very matter-of-fact and I think I actually prefer this. Although I loved Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights by her sisters, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall is my favourite of the Brontë novels I have read so far, and I am enjoying Agnes Grey very much. The opening phrases of Agnes Grey seem to me to be very typical of Anne and are indicative of her down-to-earth style. (See my Teaser Tuesday post HERE).

Anne based Agnes Grey on her own experiences as a governess. Although names and events are obviously different and the novel is a work of fiction, it is easy to see that Anne felt quite passionately about her role in forming the minds and opinions of children and was very firm in her beliefs and morals, as well as how that should affect her teaching of those under her charge.

Until more recently, Anne seems to have been viewed as the lesser of the sisters in terms of writing, but her novels, although less romantic, are no less passionate and her writing has stood the test of time, meaning she is now seen as a novelist of merit on her own terms, which is only right, as her writing is beautiful, poignant and ambitious.

post-3572-0-02258900-1326287933_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-48476300-1326287940_thumb.jpg

Booking Through Thursday

Interview, part 2

1. What’s your favorite time of day to read?

Any time of the day that I can snatch a few minutes to settle with a book is my favourite time of day to read!

2. Do you read during breakfast? (Assuming you eat breakfast.)

I don’t get a chance to, as I have breakfast with my 3-year-old son.

3. What’s your favorite breakfast food? (Noting that breakfast foods can be eaten any time of day.)

I don’t have either of these very often, but a bacon butty (with the bacon done crispy) or scrambled eggs on wholewheat toast would probably be my favourites.

4. How many hours a day would you say you read?

It depends on what’s going on in my day. If I take Xander to a play centre and we don’t have friends with us, then I grab an hour or so of reading then. If I’m working in the evening, I go to the cafe across the road from work and read while I have a cuppa. Mostly though, I read in bed. I’d say I average around 2 hours of reading most days, sometimes a little more, sometimes less.

5. Do you read more or less now than you did, say, 10 years ago?

Definitely less. As little as for or five years ago I was averaging 125 – 150 books each year. Last year I hit a grand total of 90, but the years before that were 52 and 58. Since Xander was born, I just don’t have the time for other stuff that I used to, and I wouldn’t change that for the world.

6. Do you consider yourself a speed reader?

It depends on how much I’m enjoying a book or get engrossed in it. If it’s a light read, I can zip through it, but some great books take more time and consideration. I do, however, find I read faster on my Kindle than I do physical books.

7. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?

I have a superpower – it’s called being a busy Mum and still finding a little time to do things for myself once in a while. I am Multi-Task Woman! icon_smile.gif?m=1305292828g

8. Do you carry a book with you everywhere you go?

Yes. Always. Even on my wedding day I had one of those little gift books (you know the ones with the inspirational sayings for special occasions?) in my bag, just so I wouldn’t be without a book, even if I didn’t read anything that day. It’s even easier now I have my Kindle, as I can carry an entire library with me wherever I go!

9. What KIND of book?

ANY kind of book, really! Pre-Kindle, I used to carry a paperback in my bag, now I take my Kindle and it’s loaded up with all manner of things from classics to brand new stuff of every genre.

10. How old were you when you got your first library card?

I think I most probably had one pretty much from birth. My Mam’s a big reader and I remember going to the library from a very young age (and I can remember some events as far back as being two-years old!). Xan got his library card pretty much as soon as I took him out of the house the first time and we’ve been regulars at the library since he was tiny. He loves visiting the library – he’s as big a book fan as I am and he’s only three!

11. What’s the oldest book you have in your collection? (Oldest physical copy? Longest in the collection? Oldest copyright?)

I still have a copy of The Tale of Two Bad Mice by Beatrix Potter which my Dad got me when I was about a year old. It’s tatty and falling apart, but I wouldn’t part with it for the world. Several of my childhood books have survived in very good condition (The Nursery Alice, The Wind in the Willows, Winnie the Pooh, etc) and are now on Xander’s bookshelf.

I also have an old second-hand, linen-bound copy of Macbeth by William Shakespeare which was published in 1909. That’s probably the oldest in terms of physical age AND copyright.

post-3572-0-83825700-1326370900_thumb.jpg

12. Do you read in bed?

Every night. I can’t sleep unless I’ve read at least a paragraph or two, even if I’m exhausted.

13. Do you write in your books?

NO! Never! Not even in those I used for studies at school or college! Writing in printed books is something I find abhorrent. I cannot do it and hate to see it. I once picked up a second-hand copy of a book I really wanted but couldn’t buy it because it was highlighted, underlined and annotated by a previous owner. I was nearly sick with the horror of it!

14. If you had one piece of advice to a new reader, what would it be?

Don’t waste time on a book you’re not enjoying. There are so many great books out there waiting for you to read them, and you only have a finite amount of time. It’s alright to ditch a book you find dull. I used to feel guilty if I didn’t finish a book I’d started, but now, if it hasn’t grabbed me by page 50, I get shot of it and read something else instead without a single shred of guilt.

That copy of Macbeth is awesome Kell!

Would you mind if I started doing these weekly memes too? I probably won't do all of them, maybe two or three. I love reading yours and think it's be fun to do them. I googled and found them on a blog called Should Be Reading, but just wanted to check you don't mind me posting them in my thread too :)

Friday Finds

What great books did you hear about / discover this past week?

Share with us your FRIDAY FINDS!

By following links to blogs taking part in various memes, I’ve heard about so many great books it would be impossible to list them all. I’m also a regular visitor to our local library and am always eagerly awaiting newly published books by my favourite authors. However, here are the ones that really stood out for me this week and for which I’ll be looking out on future book acquisition expeditions:

They’ve all gone onto my wish list!

post-3572-0-03507200-1326413396_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-88952800-1326413420_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-30975400-1326413425_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-92218800-1326413429_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-34851100-1326413434_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-40724800-1326413441_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-79013100-1326413448_thumb.jpg