Where do you get your books?

~Andrea~

I get mine from Amazon mostly too. Waterstones was great at Christmas as I had a big fat voucher to spend:mrgreen:

Where I live we are blessed with some brilliant second hand book shops, one of them, Halls, was featured years ago in the yellow pages ad for Fly Fishing by J R Hartley:D - we also have a big Oxfam shop dedicated only to books which is wonderful - I've picked up some excellent out of print books for around

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I buy from a gem of an op shop I have found, the books are like new ranging from kids to adults, fiction and non fiction. I've built up an awesome collection for my kiddies, plus a brilliant range for when I am teaching. Plus lots of good ones that I didn't have, they have ranged from 10c to $1 AUS

I've been collecting books for years, I'm always the bargain hunter but like others sometimes if I want something I just have to have it.

I live near Baggins - which is apparently the largest secondhand bookshop in England. I do love it in there, the floorboards are all old and squeaky and they have a huge range of books piled high. However, it's quite expensive so I often just browse but rarely buy :console:

I usually go to Waterstones as the store in Newcastle is housed in Emerson's Chambers (which is a gorgeous ornate building constructed at the turn of 20th Century) which just happens to be my favourite building in the world. I love to buy a book or two from there and then head to the tea rooms for an hour (or 5) of tea and literature :blush: 3 for 2 offers are great too!

I also use Amazon too for the odd 1p book and we have a good secondhand book store in the Grainger Market but it has no order at all (unless you're the owner....he can find any book at the drop of a hat!) :console:

I used the library quite a bit last year. At the minute though I am trying to get through some of my books on bookself, starting to pile up!

I love going into Charity Shops or Car Boot Sales and picking up a bargain.

Tend to pop a book into my trolley when doing weekly shop (browse every week but don't necessarily buy unless something catches my eye).

Sometimes take advantage to Easons or Waterstones 3 for 2 offers.

My mum has similiar taste in books so we tend to swap. The last one she lent me was Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult.

I started by using the local charity shops and second-hand bookshops when I was in my teens (c'mon, try and think of anywhere else you could pick up tried and tested classics for as little as 20p - there's still p&p on the net to take into account), and I still spend time in a bookshop not far from me. Okay, so it helps that I'm picking up a few hours work here and there for them - their computer set-up and book database is woefully out of date and needs some major surgery. If something is mentioned which I know is way out of my budget I head for the library (

Any book in Romanian, I get from the bookshop. Once in a while I'll order the books in English (if I can't find them at the two bookshops I know that sell only books in English) and I also use the British Council library for that.

Mostly Waterstone's and WHSmiths, they're what we have in our town centre.

I used Amazon a lot when I was in high school, I always bought used copies of the books we studied that often came with scribbles and highlights and stuff :).

I still use Amazon a hell of a lot :).

There's a brilliant secondhand bookshop in town that I can spend hours poring through.

I try to use the Library as often as I can but I often find I'll borrow a book, love it and just buy a copy anyway :D.

Supermarkets are also quite good for new releases, I enjoy seeing what's on the shelves at ASDA and more often than not end up bringing home another book with the weekly shop. They're quite decently priced too, always a plus!

I was determined to get my books from W's from now on but I went in there today to try and replace the books that Amazon mangled and they didn't have any of them; I guess that in my 2010-without-online-ordering Forbidden Planet will have to feature quite heavily. Seriously, though - Piccadilly is the largest bookstore in Europe, and their Horror/Science Fiction/Fantasy section is that small?!

I was in the Edinburgh FP to pick up the latest issue of Wizard (because bad habits die hard) and noticed that the shop is slowly turning into a hybrid toy shop / manga emporium. There are a small selection of books (all of them nice enough), but the manga and collected volumes of US comics far outweighs the books. Oh, and it no longer sells any old comics whatsoever... *grumbles*

I like the way their flagship store in London is organised - toy emporium upstairs, huge book and comic shop in the basement; I just head straight for the basement. Their choice is marvellous, although they could dust their shelves every once in a while *grumbles*.

Wow that seems steep. Is that the online LIbrary reservation service you are talking about? To reserve a book anywhere in my county (Kent) I pay only 25p:smile2:

I'm sure there is something wrong with my library (or right) as it's actually free to reserve the books!

I usually check if they've got it, sometimes it will be at another library and usually within a couple of days it's arrived for me..

Our main library at the moment in York is having a big refurb so we were able to get up to 25 books in November and they don't have to be back until it opens again in April. All the other little libraries are open though so it's books galore at the moment for me!

I get some of my books from Amazon too though, especially the 1p ones. As long as it's readable I don't mind if it's creased! I've just ordered a Lynda La Plante book from her and with postage of

I'm sure there is something wrong with my library (or right) as it's actually free to reserve the books!

That's the one thing I miss about York, I couldn't believe it the first time I used the library down here and they asked for

Most of the time I get my books from the used books shops in town, but if I'm really excited about a new release I'll either go to Barnes & Noble or shop online at Amazon since they have excellent deals. Other than that I go to Borders or the library :).

I'm sure I saw on the website that it was about 75p to reserve books but so far I've not been charged a thing! That is until the library re-opens and they bill me thousands to cover the cafe and explore centre they've just installed!

Well, between 2002 and 2008 I never paid to reserve books at all and I used to get up to 30 or so books a month as I used my ex-OH's library card too. That's typical though, as soon as I move away they fix up the central library :)

A good place to get books is the Oxfam bookshop in York hospital, I used to get some amazing bargains in there! I also used to like the Little Apple bookshop in High Petergate :D