Robert Kennedy His Life by Evan Thomas

Milo MInderbinder

This is the story of a man, not a myth. Evan Thomas has steered clear of Kennedy cliché’s and a rehashing of the uncountable volumes of already published histories of the Kennedy family and has presented a great impartial biography.

The first chapter of this book is entitled 'Runt'. A good harbinger for an honest biography I thought as I began reading. Robert Kennedy was the overlooked son of Joe and Rose Kennedy's brood. The quiet sensitive boy who sat at the far end of the dining table with his sisters whilst his older teenage brothers Jack and Joe Junior were encouraged to go over current news events and what was happening at their respective schools and colleges with the patriarch of the family. Robert was driven through his younger years and his late teens by a need to be accepted by his father and family. Both Joe Junior and Jack had distinguished military careers and saw active service in WW2, but Robert missed out on an opportunity to impress and to win respect by only being eligible for service in 1947. The first part of the book details Roberts’s patchy academic career and his awkward formative years in various Ivy League academies and colleges as well as the oddness and strange life of the orthodox catholic and loyally close Kennedy clan.

Although the book details JFK's 1960 presidential campaign and election it doesn't detract too much from the books main subject of the life of Robert Kennedy. Thomas explains Robert Kennedy's rise into the highest echelons of the U.S. Government, and how he both helped and hindered his brother (RFK was as far as I can see, and I may be wrong, the only thirty-something to ever have the ear of any President of the United States of America). Yes this book goes through the usual things linked to the Kennedy administration I.e. Cuba, Organised crime complications, the shadow of J. Edgar Hoover, but it flattens a lot of the drivel that has cascaded through the years and has become what people believe as the truth about that era and the Kennedy's. There's some great insightful stuff about the pow-wows between the Kennedy's and big hitters like Secretary of State for Defence Robert McNamara and other Joint Chiefs of Staff and trusted advisors. All the way through the book you are constantly reminded of the best and worst sides (of which their were many) of RFK's character and personality.

What come across in this is that neither Robert Kennedy or his brother the president were the superhuman icons of righteous causes that they have been remembered as. JFK, like most politicians through history, was a pragmatist who would only move on something controversial if pushed hard enough. What comes across about Robert Kennedy is that after being thrown in at the deep end as a young man with regard to working in national government, at the time of his death, he was becoming a man of strength and conviction who had little patience and a real hatred for the jobs-for-the-boys senatorial fraternity. He had started to make big inroads into tackling inner city poverty in America (one of the first, if not the first government figure, to introduce tax breaks to big companies who would open factories in no-go boroughs and suburbs), and with his relative youth was heralded as the second chance for America in a turbulent decade.

He was an ordinary man in extraordinary times. Often contrary, contradictory, and flawed in many, many ways (aren't we all), but a good man in a strange time working on the best way forward for a relatively new country. For the Kennedy family, the after effects of two of its sons both murdered within five years of each other at a young age (Robert 42, Jack, 46) to me are unimaginable, but I'm sure they are aware of the catalyst that Robert was toward the end of his life in trying to change American society for the better. Overall, a great read about an interesting political figure.

Hi Milo

Very interesting review of the RFK book. Being from the US, we are swamped by books about the Kennedys. They have all been written about ,picked apart ,and studied closely from so many angles .

In my lifetime, I'd have to say that the Kennedy's have been the closest we have ever had to England's Royal Family .

I've read books about their mother , about John, Ted and the JFK assassination .

From what I have read, their father was a pretty strong figure in the family,so he seemed to be the one who pushed his boys to achieve as much as possible.

The oldest, Joe Jr,who was killed in the War ,would have been the one their father was grooming for the political arena ,but his life was cut short way before he got the opportunity .

So, the next in line was JFK . He was a very charismatic "People Person" ,who seemed to be able to adjust to any situation he was placed in. He always knew the right thing to say and do,depending on the circumstances . Being so young and handsome ,he gave our country a lot of hope. His speeches were full of promise and goals for the future .

I think he hit the scene at a perfect time,with all the racial problems, etc during those years . He was brave enough to speak his mind ,no matter what the consequences .

Sadly, he didn't live long enough for us to see what more he could do . No doubt he would have been a 2 term president .

His brother Bobby was also blessed with the same dreams for the future ,but he probably always did feel like he was second fiddle . Their father sounded like he played favorites with his boys ,so I'm sure Robert always felt a little inferior .

Who knows what he could have achieved if he had not been killed .

Both boys did have some really wonderful gifts and abilities,but like all of us ,they also had many flaws in their personal lives .

The Kennedy family is definitely fascinating reading . If you get a chance, pick up Ted Kennedy's memoir called True Compass .It tells a lot more behind the scenes version of what life was like in the family . He loved his brothers so much,even though he never quite lived up to the handsome,charming and "star" status that the other boys did . He didnt quite have their looks, was the youngest boy, got himself in trouble with the Chappaquiddick mess ,which probably hampered his ability to get further than he did career-wise . On top of that ,he married an alcoholic,so she would make an appearance from time to time which also probably shed a poor light on him. Sadly, that really shouldn't matter to us, but it seems that people like to pick our famous people apart ,and anything at all that makes for good gossip seems to be fodder for the news .

All the boys had the unfortunate habit of being "womanizers ",which in today's world probably wouldnt have been overlooked like it was back in the 60's .

Anyhow, thanks for the review !

Hi Milo

Very interesting review of the RFK book. Being from the US, we are swamped by books about the Kennedys. They have all been written about ,picked apart ,and studied closely from so many angles .

In my lifetime, I'd have to say that the Kennedy's have been the closest we have ever had to England's Royal Family .

I've read books about their mother , about John, Ted and the JFK assassination .

From what I have read, their father was a pretty strong figure in the family,so he seemed to be the one who pushed his boys to achieve as much as possible.

The oldest, Joe Jr,who was killed in the War ,would have been the one their father was grooming for the political arena ,but his life was cut short way before he got the opportunity .

So, the next in line was JFK . He was a very charismatic "People Person" ,who seemed to be able to adjust to any situation he was placed in. He always knew the right thing to say and do,depending on the circumstances . Being so young and handsome ,he gave our country a lot of hope. His speeches were full of promise and goals for the future .

I think he hit the scene at a perfect time,with all the racial problems, etc during those years . He was brave enough to speak his mind ,no matter what the consequences .

Sadly, he didn't live long enough for us to see what more he could do . No doubt he would have been a 2 term president .

His brother Bobby was also blessed with the same dreams for the future ,but he probably always did feel like he was second fiddle . Their father sounded like he played favorites with his boys ,so I'm sure Robert always felt a little inferior .

Who knows what he could have achieved if he had not been killed .

Both boys did have some really wonderful gifts and abilities,but like all of us ,they also had many flaws in their personal lives .

The Kennedy family is definitely fascinating reading . If you get a chance, pick up Ted Kennedy's memoir called True Compass .It tells a lot more behind the scenes version of what life was like in the family . He loved his brothers so much,even though he never quite lived up to the handsome,charming and "star" status that the other boys did . He didnt quite have their looks, was the youngest boy, got himself in trouble with the Chappaquiddick mess ,which probably hampered his ability to get further than he did career-wise . On top of that ,he married an alcoholic,so she would make an appearance from time to time which also probably shed a poor light on him. Sadly, that really shouldn't matter to us, but it seems that people like to pick our famous people apart ,and anything at all that makes for good gossip seems to be fodder for the news .

All the boys had the unfortunate habit of being "womanizers ",which in today's world probably wouldnt have been overlooked like it was back in the 60's .

Thanks for the indepth response Julie. I'll look out for the Ted Kennedy book. Ten years ago I was on a scholarship from an English college and studied Politics in the U.S and since then I have sought out good American political biogs. My favorite this year was Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin.

Excellent review Milo. Given your interest in U.S. politics, you might be interested in reading Berlin 1961 by Frederick Kempe. Kennedy and Khrushchev.

It makes understanding what happened, and why, easier. I'm presently about half way though.

Edited by pontalba

If you get a chance, pick up Ted Kennedy's memoir called True Compass .It tells a lot more behind the scenes version of what life was like in the family . He loved his brothers so much,even though he never quite lived up to the handsome,charming and "star" status that the other boys did . He didnt quite have their looks, was the youngest boy, got himself in trouble with the Chappaquiddick mess ,which probably hampered his ability to get further than he did career-wise . On top of that ,he married an alcoholic,so she would make an appearance from time to time which also probably shed a poor light on him. Sadly, that really shouldn't matter to us, but it seems that people like to pick our famous people apart ,and anything at all that makes for good gossip seems to be fodder for the news .

In view of the Chappaquiddick incident, Kopechne's death, and his behavior afterwards, I cannot bring myself to feel sympathy for Ted Kennedy. It should matter to us, as it tells of his true character.

In view of the Chappaquiddick incident, Kopechne's death, and his behavior afterwards, I cannot bring myself to feel sympathy for Ted Kennedy. It should matter to us, as it tells of his true character.

Hi Pontalba

I learned long ago that it's not wise to discuss political beliefs especially on message boards .

Rather than respond in the manner I would normally, let me just say that you and I each have a right to our own opinion and I will respect your right to believe as you do if you will respect mine .

I understand what you are saying about the Chappaquiddick situation .I guess my only response will be that we might all make really stupid decisions if we are under the influence of alcohol . Not defending his behavior, just trying to understand how someone could use such poor judgement .

I'd rather leave it at that,because I have seen many a small comment on a message board turn into a major battle . I like it here too much to do that .

Said with all due respect ,

Hi Pontalba

I learned long ago that it's not wise to discuss political beliefs especially on message boards .

Rather than respond in the manner I would normally, let me just say that you and I each have a right to our own opinion and I will respect your right to believe as you do if you will respect mine .

I understand what you are saying about the Chappaquiddick situation .I guess my only response will be that we might all make really stupid decisions if we are under the influence of alcohol . Not defending his behavior, just trying to understand how someone could use such poor judgement .

I'd rather leave it at that,because I have seen many a small comment on a message board turn into a major battle . I like it here too much to do that .

Said with all due respect ,

I can fully agree with your belief/reasoning regarding non discussion of anything of the political arena! :) It is the wise course.

It was only your mention of Chappaquiddick that dusted off my memory banks.

And yes, everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinions, and should respect others as well. We're all different, that is what makes it all so interesting.

We're all different, that is what makes it all so interesting.

I agree completely. It'd sure be a boring place if we all liked the same things ,wouldn't it ?

I'm sorry if I brought up a touchy subject . I'll try to be more careful in the future .

I'm just a YAKKER and sometimes talk (and post) too much . :(

I agree completely. It'd sure be a boring place if we all liked the same things ,wouldn't it ?

I'm sorry if I brought up a touchy subject . I'll try to be more careful in the future .

I'm just a YAKKER and sometimes talk (and post) too much . :(

Please! :) Too careful isn't always a good thing either.

I admit, that incident is something that has been in my craw for years, but I certainly didn't mean for you not to mention it. Discussion is the heart of life, if we don't discuss and air our differences......Without Acrimony!.....nothing would be solved in this life.

That said, boards/forums are not the place for that, at least not a friendly one like this...so much can get lost in translation, so to speak. Our facial expressions, intonation, so forth temper our speech. T'ain't easy!

And politics! Feh! :doh:

That said, boards/forums are not the place for that, at least not a friendly one like this...so much can get lost in translation, so to speak. Our facial expressions, intonation, so forth temper our speech. T'ain't easy!

And politics! Feh! :doh:

So true , there are just certain things that seem to trigger debates that sometimes get a little too heated . It truly is hard on message boards to voice an opinion without it sometimes coming out wrong .

I'm glad we could talk this out . I do agree though,it's nice to hear other's opinions. Kinda makes you take a subject and look at it from different angles .

That helps me to clear some of the cobwebs out of my brain if it hasn't been used enough lately . :D

Edited by julie

So true , there are just certain things that seem to trigger debates that sometimes get a little too heated . It truly is hard on message boards to voice an opinion without it sometimes coming out wrong .

I'm glad we could talk this out . I do agree though,it's nice to hear other's opinions. Kinda makes you take a subject and look at it from different angles .

That helps me to clear some of the cobwebs out of my brain if it hasn't been used enough lately . :D

Me too. :friends3:

BTW, I've ordered the book that is the subject of the thread. I don't know too much about Bobby, and am eager to learn more. My husband has said Bobby was the one with the brains of the family. Not that Jack wasn't smart, he was, but in different ways.

I'm only about halfway through Berlin 1961, but it seems to me that if there had been better communication, and if JFK had better advisors, that whole mess could have been avoided. Of course hind sight is 20/20.

Me too. :friends3:

BTW, I've ordered the book that is the subject of the thread. I don't know too much about Bobby, and am eager to learn more. My husband has said Bobby was the one with the brains of the family. Not that Jack wasn't smart, he was, but in different ways.

I'm only about halfway through Berlin 1961, but it seems to me that if there had been better communication, and if JFK had better advisors, that whole mess could have been avoided. Of course hind sight is 20/20.

Yes, the thing about hindsight has probably been true in every presidency ever . There are probably lots of decisions that were made throughout the years that we were not privy to .

I haven't read much on Robert's life myself,so it might be interesting to do some checking into it .

I think Bobby was probably quite the thinker .He seemed to be maybe a little quieter,so maybe he spent more time thinking about things before deciding how to proceed . So sad that we never got to see what he could have done if he had lived long enough .

Yes, the thing about hindsight has probably been true in every presidency ever . There are probably lots of decisions that were made throughout the years that we were not privy to .

I haven't read much on Robert's life myself,so it might be interesting to do some checking into it .

I think Bobby was probably quite the thinker .He seemed to be maybe a little quieter,so maybe he spent more time thinking about things before deciding how to proceed . So sad that we never got to see what he could have done if he had lived long enough .

That is what is so interesting about Berlin 1961. The reader feels like a fly on the wall, so to speak.

Yes, RFK would have been most interesting I think.

So many books, so little time! :irked::cool:

Edited by pontalba

• 4 weeks later...