JackM Crime 2012

dex

I've liked the 2 jo nesbo books I've read and will look out for the rest, I like his style and he does give a decent period of time to explain why the killer has done what they have, rather than the books just coming to a dead stop after the revelation. The 2 books I've read though out of order were the snowman and the leopard, do the rest have the same style?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, pretty much. I doubt you'll be disappointed. Do read them in order, though, as there is an ongoing sub-plot that runs through The Redbreast, Nemesis and The Devil's Star.

• 2 weeks later...

l've read all the rebus books now and enjoyed them. Has anyone read any of the fox ones? Or the ones by jack harvey, if so what are they like?

I've just finished the third Jack Caffery novel by Mo Hayder Called Ritual (EDITED) and will be reading Skin (edited) next , She has moved the action to bristol. At the end of the book she explains that she wanted to write a new character called flea who is a police diver , but then fitted in caffery by giving him a transfer. I did enjoy it despite the move, two more to go. As you can tell I'm excellent at remembering titles (EDITED).

Edited by dex

I saw a new book entitled Sacramentum in Amazon.uk. It seems very interesting. Does anyone know if it is translated into English? Thank you.

A fellow traveller in I'm guessing scandinavian fiction needs some help. They have posted on my new authors help topic, so on their behalf can you help. Thanks dex.

I,ve now finished my 5 Mo Hayder Jack Caffery books. I enjoyed them all despite the move to bristol and the addition of Flea. I reccomend these books .

Finding Mark billingham, Good As Dead to be a slog. After reading In The Dark, Which I Didn't enjoy, He's now put Pc Weekes into his Thorne set. Nooooo! Going to finish it then try Steig larsson. Got the earlier Jo nesbo's coming soon so hopefully I should be alright for a couple of months.

Edited by dex

These are the Authors I have read this year.

Stephen Leather,

rough justice 2 fair game 3

Stuart Macbride ,

shatter the bones 3, birthdays for the dead 3, dark blood 4

Michael Connelly ,

the drop 4, chasing the dime 3, void moon 3

Ian Rankin,

rebus 4 overall but there are three dodgy ones. (h & s, t & n, d s) The complaints 3, The impossible dead 3

Terry Goodkind,

naked empire, chainfire, phantom, confessor 2 overall. Bought as he'd finished the series.

Jo Nesbo,

the leopard 4, the snowman 4, the redbreast 4, Nemesis 4, The devil's star 4, The redeemer 3, Headhunters 3 (Despite being 1st person)

Mo Hayder,

birdman 4, the treatment 4, ritual 4, skin 4, gone 4

Mark Billingham,

Good as dead 1

Steig Larsson,

dragon tattoo 4, played with fire 3, kicked a hornets' nest 4

John Harvey,

Rough Treatment 3, Wasted Years 3, Cold Light 3, Lonely Hearts 3 despite the abrupt end.Off Minor 3, Cutting Edge 2, probably more to my mood than the book. Easy meat 2, Still Water 3, Last Rites 3, Trouble in mind( 70 page short) 3, Cold in hand 3,

Jeff Lindsay,

dexter is delicious 3

Colin Bateman,

Mystery man 2, The day of the jack russell 2

Patrick Robinson,

Admiral Arnold Morgan, To the death 3

Tony Black,

paying for it 3, I'd only reccomend it to people who enjoy 1st person books. It was a good plot though.

John Connolly,

The cancer cowboy. Weird, but good 3 (a short from nocturnes)

Quintin Jardine,

Grievous Angel 2. I won't buy this one.

Richard Montanari,

The echo man 3, The rosary girls 3, The skin gods 3, Broken angels 3,Play dead 3

Jack Kerley,

The death collectors 3, In the blood 1,

Matthew Reilly,

Scarecrow and the army of thieves 2 (Over the top and daft action sequences, Kind of like Adam West in Batman)

Liza Marklund,

Red wolf 3, The Bomber 3, Vanished 3, Exposed 2, (Looks like I read these in the reverse of the set chronology)

Edited by dex

Just bought , 2 colin bateman, bookshop owner with no name, and 2 jack kerley, carson rider, having read 1 previously.

I have just finished the millennium trilogy by Stieg Larsson, I enjoyed this set. I enjoyed the first book, Dragon Tattoo the most and the third book Hornets' Nest was good as well. The concentration on other characters in the second book played with fire put me off a bit. haven't decided what to read next.

just bought dexter is delicious, trying to buy some more resnick on my phone, probably have to wait until I'm on my computer.

Hi Dex, I also like Connelly and would recommend John Sandford, Robert Crais, James Lee Burke. UK Authors I would also recommend Ian Rankin and would suggest trying John Harvey, Tony Black, Jim Kelly who would fit your liking of Mark Billingham and Quentin Jardine.

Trying to buy some john harvey, now

Do Linwood barclay and mark gimenez write series? Just ordered gutted by tony black.

Edited by dex

• 2 weeks later...

So i'm reading the Inspector Resnick novels at the moment. They are short quick reads and are quite good, backhanded copliment. They do remind me of rebus, but in resnick's case this seems to via sandwiches rather than the pub. He gets interrupted at breakfast with a case then there's some banter in The office , then the case is on. Don't mention the cats. I will read them but am undecided whether it's me or them that are the problem.

just read Mystery man and The day of the jack russell by Colin bateman. So there based around bookshop that sells Mystery fiction that is owned by an unnamed man. I didn't like these because although they were funny in places like the second book with it's Christie style ending and some of the situations in them were just too stupid. He should write some more Murphy books.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received Patrick robinson's to the death. I own all the arnold morgan books exept Seawolf which I didn't like. I will read this after The Redeemer.

Edited by dex

Kerely is a good call. I just finished one by a no name author, Trickett. Found it on Amazon. It was called A Knight Reborn...no its not a Batman novel, vampire hunter book. Cool twist at end ala Shamylan movie!

Also, Just finished the Hitman series by Lawrence Block for the second time

Recently taken Terry goodkind, Colin bateman mystery man to the local charity shop. I found the Terry Goodkind, Wizards First Rule set to be a couple of books too long, Mystery Man had a daft ending , a shame as I liked his Murphy books a lot.

Edited by dex

Kerely is a good call. I just finished one by a no name author, Trickett. Found it on Amazon. It was called A Knight Reborn...no its not a Batman novel, vampire hunter book. Cool twist at end ala Shamylan movie!

Also, Just finished the Hitman series by Lawrence Block for the second time

Going to take a look at the Hitman series Keller, and possibly matthew scudder. Thanks

This is my TBR list

Ian rankin, The impossible dead, A good hanging, beggars banquet.

Tony black, Paying for it,

John harvey, Easy meat, still water, Last rites, Trouble in mind, Cold in hand , Now's the time

Simon kernick, Target, Last 10 seconds, payback.

Brandon sanderson, The gathering storm, Towers of midnight.

Jack kerley, In the blood, The death collectors, Buried alive, Blood brother

Matthew reilly, Scarecrow and the army of theives.

John grisham, The associate. I was given this one. The innocent man. I was given this one

James patterson, Cross country, I alex cross, Cross fire, Kill alex cross. I was given the last two.

Liza marklund, Red wolf, Exposed, Vanished, The Bomber

Tom wood, The hunter, The enemy

Patricia cornwell, Scarpetta. I was given this one.

Lawrence block, Matthew scudder, omnibus.

Richard montanari, The rosary girls, The skin gods, The echo man

Andrew gross, 15 seconds

Linwood barclay, Too close to home, I was given this one, Fear the worst

Iris johansen, What doesn't kill you, I was given this one

Camila lackberg, The ice princess, The stonecutter,The stranger (a.k.a The gallows bird), The hidden child,

Jo nesbo, Headhunters

Mary burton, Before she dies, I'm watching you,

Edited by dex