Something about Bill

Dr Bill

Good morning everyone.

My name is Bill, I am over 21 and live in Nottinghamshire. I retired from medical practice 3 years ago and now seem to have less time to myself than I had then. I am married with 2 children and 4 grandchildren. I have less opportunity to read than I would like as I need quiet or at most some gentle non-vocal music to read by.

I read non-fiction, particularly biographies which I love, but also classic fiction (I am currently trying to work my way through Charles Dickens - reading Bleak House at the moment) and historical fiction (I love the Aubrey/Maturin novels of Patrick O'Brian and the Shardlake novels of C.J.Sansom). The last book I completed was Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh which I thought was brilliant. I am also fond of Agatha Christie for a lighter read and have read the Sherlock Holmes stories numerous times. I don't seem to be able to get on with many modern authors.

My other interests are golf, fly-fishing and gardening.

If anyone is still awake after reading this drivel I look forward to chatting with you when I have explored the fora a little.

God Bless

Bill

Hi there Bill

I'm awake. Not sure what time you posted this,but I'm pretty new here myself. Joined up a few weeks back. I'm Julie from Ohio . I've heard many retired people say they are busier after retirement than when they worked . That's really interesting that you were a doctor . I was an LPN in my younger years,but haven't worked for many years .We had all of our kids in one short span of time, so I chose to put the career aside until they were older. I always planned on going back,but never did,and when you are out of the medical field for that long, you don't keep up to date on the newest drugs,treatments,etc .

I'm like you about reading, I need to have quiet to concentrate on a book . I used to be able to read with everyone home,the tv on,while cooking supper,but I guess as we get "over 21 " we may lose that ability to multi-task .

I tend to like some of the same type books as you . I seem to prefer nonfiction more lately for some reason . I love Dickens, but haven't read Bleak House . I need to give it a shot one of these days .

I believe this month's group discussion book is a Christie book, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd .I had planned on getting to it, but lately, my wheels seem to be stuck in quicksand and I'm not getting much accomplished in the reading area .I need to improve on that .

Anyhow, welcome, from one "newbie" to another ! :D

Hiya Bill, I'm over 21 too. Welcome. If you are ever stuck for a book take a look at a few of the reading logs you might find some new authors there that you might like. But of course you will always find others here who are into reading classics and non-fiction just as you are, and will enjoy chatting about them. Julie is right the next Reading circle book is an Agatha Christie, feel free to join in, read and discuss.

Hi Bill!Excellent use of the plural of forum - clearly your medical background includes some latin.

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a pedant when it comes to correct syntax and punctuation. Don't get me started on apostrophes!

have you read "The House of God" by Samuel Shem, and if you have, what's your take on it?

'Fraid not, sorry.

Oh, and thank you all for your kind welcomes.