Wartime: Britain 1939-1945

HoneyGirl

Hi Duncan, how are you? I've not had the chance to get online for so long, I hope you haven't forgotten who I am! Haha :D

Have you had much chance to read lately, I certainly haven't, been so busy with Christmas and other stuff that I've not had a lot of leisure time. I got an iPad2 for Christmas so I am super excited about that, its really great and I love gadgets anyway.

How are you getting on with your audio books? I like them too when I cannot be bothered to read or am too tired to.

The other Julia Gardiner books look fascinating, they are on my wishlist. I got a few books for Christmas which I shall list when I get upstairs and see the titles as in my sleepy state I have forgotten them!

Oh blimey, I took Billy Brown back to the library, I didn't finish that book, I disliked it so much - very far fetched and I feel it was packed up and embellished with lies to make it more interesting. I really wouldn't recommend it but if you're curious I'd only get it from the library. I hate giving up on a book but I couldn't bear him any more!! :D Its probably one of the worst books I have ever read, along with The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - I hate that book too!

Edited by HoneyGirl

• 2 weeks later...

Hi HoneyGirl. I'm fine, no, not forgotten who you are ;-) I haven't been online much either but now christmas is over I should be on more often.

I have stopped reading the WW2 book for a while. Mainly because I got a Kindle Touch for christmas and wanted to play with that for a while rather than read paper books. I also haven't had much time to read, but I did manage to finish Drowning Rose and Life Below Stairs on the Kindle (both of which I liked) and have started another and also have many more stocked up from the Kindle book sale. I don't plan on abandoning paper books completely and if paying full price for a book I think I would rather the paper than electronic version, but so far I think the Kindle is great.

The WW2 one is interesting, but heavy going at times, it turned from a description of life during the war into more of a blow by blow account of war activities which, while interesting, all became a bit of a blur after several hundred pages and not what I felt like reading during the holidays. I will get back into it when I am more in the mood for that.

I still like the audio books, but think I will use them most when travelling. At home I find it a bit strange listening to them during the daytime, but during the night they are OK. However, I will definitely have a stock of them ready for any future flights and train rides, it really was fantastic listening to them on planes and enjoying a story when too tired to read rather than staring at my watch every 20 mins.

iPad2, that's fancy, lucky you! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Duncan - how are you? I got a Kindle for a "New Year" present, only got the £89 one but I love it, its great - have got 5 books on it so far. I'm only buying the cheaper books for it though, got some bargains on Amazon though, they are grand!

I won't be abandoning paper books completely either, I don't think I could as I love them too much but the Kindle is definitely handy for cheapie books and keeping them all in the one place. You're like me with your rule of rather buying the paper copy if they're both the same price. I'd still rather have a pyhsical copy of something given the choice.

I can imagine how the blow by blow of war activities could become a little tiresome, I would find that too. I am still going to buy the book but its not the first one on my wishlist, I have them in order of what I'd like first you see - haha - I wish I could afford to buy them all at once!

I've found some excellent books in the charity shops lately, been so exciting, I go in twice a week to have a nosy and I usually come out of there with at least one - going to need more bookcases soon!

Hello HoneyGirl. I'm OK. Well sort of. I'm pretty bored or down or something at the moment. Anyway...

Yes, I like going through the charity shops too, there can be some interesting books found that way. Plus it's helping a good cause and cheaper than paying full price for brand new ones. Sometimes I like looking for very old books and seeing if there are notes or inscriptions inside the cover page. I used to live near a second hand bookshop that had some very old books. I remember one had something like "For Edward - as a gift for excellent marks at school, 1892." inside the front cover. I wondered who Edward had been and found it a strange thought that he could have lived a whole life and died of old age since that was written. I haven't been to that shop since I moved, and thinking about it I remember it closed down - so I won't be going back ;-)

How's the iPad doing?

• 1 month later...

Hi Duncan, how are you? Are you feeling any better yet? I've not been online in so long due to my mum being in hospital...I just made a post about it in my "Danielle's World" thread over in the personal section.

I have tried to order Wartime: Britain 1939-1945 but have been informed that it is no longer in print and the publisher may re-print it, so I am waiting on it. Its still on order so I am assuming that maybe its getting a re-print, I just hope that they have not taken anything out of it as I know they have a tendency to do that. If the current order I have for it takes too long then I shall be ordering it second hand from Amazon if I don't find it in a charity shop first......... :P

How are you getting on with it? Have you still put it down for more enjoyable reading?

Oh the iPad is going great thanks, got many brilliant apps on it, including the Kindle one, not that I use that one much now I have an ACTUAL Kindle!

Edited by HoneyGirl

Hey Duncan, I managed to order Wartime: Britain 1939-1945 from Waterstones Marketplace for £1.07 plus £2.79 postage so a bargain! I had to get it second hand as couldn't get it anywhere new :negative:

Whilst I was online ordering bargains, I got two others - How We Lived Then: a History of Everyday Life During the Second World War by Norman Longmate for 82p and London at War by Philip Ziegler for £2.81. Just waiting for them all to arrive now as well as a new bookcase on Monday! :011: