Danielle's "To read" list

HoneyGirl

Here is my list of books which are yet to be read. I've been collecting these books over this year and still have many more on my wishlist so I shall be adding to this list when I get more books.

Dear Joan: Love letters from the Second World War by Tony Ross

Nurse on Call by Edith Cotterill

The day we went to War by Terry Charman

Now then Lad by Mike Pannet

Tunnelling to Freedom by John Fancy

The Last Escape by by John Nichol and Tony Rennell

From Churchill's War Rooms by Joanna Moody

The Road to Nab End by William Woodruff

Beyond Nab End by William Woodruff

Maid's Tale by Rose Plummer (as told to Tom Quinn)

Rabbit stew and a penny or two by Maggie Smith-Bendell

Bedpans and Bobby socks by Barbara Fox

Bertie, May and Mrs Fish by Xandra Bingley

Kitchener's last Volunteer by Henry Allingham

Never Surrender by Robert Kershaw

The last Fighting Tommy by Harry Patch

Forgotten Voices: Voices from the Somme by Joshua Levine

Forgotten Voices: Voices of the Blitz and the Battle for Britain by Joshua Levine

A Nurse in time by Evelyn Prentis

Nella Last in the 1950's by Robert Malcolmson and Patricia Malcolmson

My East End by Gilda O Neill

Our Street by Gilda O Neill

Up West by Pip Granger

Our Hidden Lives by Simon Garfield

We are at war by Simon Garfield

Privaate Battles by Simon Garfield

Love and War in London by Olivia Cockett

Sand in my shoes by Joan Rice

Letters from a Lost Generation by by Alan Bishop and Mark Bostridge

Don't forget to write by Pam Hobbs

The Road back Home by Sid Waddell

Below Stairs by by Margaret Powell

They fought in the fields by Nicola Tyrer

Wartime Women by Dorothy Sheridan

Under the wire by William Ash and Brendan Foley

Matron Knows Best by Joan Woodcock

A Nurse in Action by Evelyn Prentis

The Light in the Window by June Goulding

The Girl in the Painted Caravan by Eva Petulengro

Small Island by Andrea Levy

Betty's Wartime Diary by Betty Armitage

Dogs, goats, bulbs and Bombs by by John Folkes

Guernsey under Occupation edited by Alice Evans

Sisters in Arms by Nicola Tyrer

The Lady's Maid by Rosina Harrison

Bombsites and Lollipops by Jacky Hyams

One pair of hands by Monica Dickens

Keeping Mum by Brian Thompson

Stranger in the house by Julie Summers

Four Meals for Fourpence by Grace Foakes

Brothers in War by Michael Walsh

We were young and at War by Sarah Wallis & Svetlana Palmer

Last of the few by Max Arthur

Forgotten voices of the Victorian Cross by Roderick Bailey

Voices from The Battle of Britain by Henry Buckton

Voices in the air by

Voices from the Titanic by Geoff Tidballs

Growing up in the Gorbals, Gorbals boy at Oxford and Gorbals Voice, Siren songs OMNIBUS EDITION by Ralph Glasser

Blitz Diary by Carol Harris

The way things were by Denis Cassidy

Forgotten Voices of the Great War by Max Arthur

Forgotten Voices of the Second World War by Max Arthur

First Light by Geoffrey Wellum

Twopence to Cross the Mersey and Liverpool Miss by Helen Forrester

A world to build by David Kynaston

Some Sunny Day by Dame Vera Lynn

What's tha up to? by Martyn Johnson

Night song of the Last tram by Robert Douglas

Climbing the stairs by Margaret Powell

Child of the North by

Edited by HoneyGirl

Sisters in Arms is a very good book - I read that about a year ago, and it covers an area of the military that's usually overlooked. I know you'll enjoy it.

Keeping Mum isn't a bad read, either, although it won't detain you for too long.

I've also got a copy of Up West knocking around somewhere, although I haven't read it yet. I'm a sucker for books about London, especially lowlife London.

Thanks Roland, I have to say that I am especially looking forward to reading Sisters in Arms, having seen the reviews and read the synopsis on the back, it seems like one not to be missed.

I'm the same about books on London, I love to read about what life used to be like, it seems a world away from ours now, even though sometimes its only 50 years ago.

I'll look for your posts as you seem to have similar book interests to my own :) I'll have to add the authors into my list shortly, will do it later this evening after I have had a look around on here.

This is the second time this evening I have passed one of my dads recommendations on to you HoneyGirl, he must have had similar interests in books as you do (and indeed as I do): he said The Road to Nab End was an excellent book and encouraged me to read it. It's another of those books that I have intended to read for a while, but have never actually read.

Many of your other books on that list have intriguing titles too :-)

The 'Forgotton Voices' series books are very good. Which books have you got?

I will be updating my list properly in a short while Laura, I had just put them up quickly yesterday from a list I had on my laptop

This is the second time this evening I have passed one of my dads recommendations on to you HoneyGirl, he must have had similar interests in books as you do (and indeed as I do): he said The Road to Nab End was an excellent book and encouraged me to read it. It's another of those books that I have intended to read for a while, but have never actually read.

Many of your other books on that list have intriguing titles too :-)

Yes Duncan, you have been a hive of information :D I love the look of The Road to Nab End - it is one which I got from the charity shop for 70p then I went back to the same shop the following week and got the follow on of Beyond Nab End for another 70p so a complete bargain! Especially since I could not find the first book anywhere online.

My mum had a quickl flick through The Road to Nab End and she said it looked intruiging, so maybe we should both consider starting it soon!

If any book titles take your fancy, just let me know and I'll get the synopsis for you :)

• 4 months later...

I thought you might find this book interesting - it's on my to purchase list.

On Radji Beach by Ian W.Shaw

synopsis from the publishers site:

"When Singapore fell dramatically to the Japanese on 15 February 1942, hundreds of people scrambled to the docks to flee. Amongst the evacuees were 65 Australian nurses who boarded a coastal freighter named the Vyner Brooke. They only made it as far as the waters off Muntok Island near Sumatra. There, Japanese bombers sank the small ship. Those who survived the sinking drifted for up to three days before making landfall on one of the many beaches on Muntok. A group of about 60 shipwreck survivors, including 22 nurses, gathered at Radji Beach. They voted to surrender to the Japanese rather than slowly starve to death, but the Japanese patrol that found them did not accept their surrender. Instead, it divided the Europeans into three groups and killed them all in turn. The Australian nurses were in the third group, and 21 of them died in a hail of bullets as they walked, abreast, into the sea. Miraculously, there was one survivor, Vivian Bullwinkel, who brought the truth about this appalling atrocity to light, and who went on to experience the internment camps, starvation and disease that took away many of her friends."

Edited by Devi

That sounds fascinating Devi, thanks so much for the recommendation - I'm off to get it on my wishlist, any more you have will be greatly appreciated. Plus if you see any titles you like the look of on my list, let me know and I will send you the synopsis :)

ETA: Sorry for the delay in me replying, sometimes I don't check everywhere on here properly!

Edited by HoneyGirl