Ali 9321 reading list 2011

Ali9321

I like the idea of reading lists (and the book challenges - maybe in the depths of winter I'll have enough time to take on a challenge!)

So I'll start with the2011 books read pile (for this year at least!) and then the 2011 books to be read pile (I keep picking up more for this one and it's growing ever larger!)

2011 Books Read

The Man Who Smiled - Henning Mankell

Before the Frost - Henning Mankell

Italian Shoes - Henning Mankell

Return of the Dancing Master - Henning Mankell

When the Snow Fell - Henning Mankell

(spot a theme - you can see why I needed to join this forum, although can you get too much of a good thing?!)

Dark Matter - Michelle Paver

(this caught my ear when it was Radio 2s drivetime bookclub book and it didnt disappoint!)

Map Addict - Mike Parker

(a little strange in places but interesting reading!)

Full Dark No Stars - Stephen King

(edge of the seat stuff!)

Under the Dome - Stephen King

(well that took me most of the summer but definitely worth it!)

Dog Days on Ice - Peter Noble

(I find antarctic exploration fascinating and having a half husky dog it was interesting to read about someone who ran the dog teams in the 1960s)

The Hike - Don Shaw

(hilarious gem of a book - old codgers hiking through the year, BRILLIANT! Lent it to my friends and they've started calling me Freddy!)

The Hills Are Stuffed with Swedish Girls - Richard Happer

(the title caught my eye and it had good reviews so I gave it a chance - tears in my eyes by the end, really good but unexpected book)

Meet Me At the Cupcake Cafe - Jenny Colgan

(I was having a frivolous moment - really enjoyed the read and the recipes but the end was disappointing)

The Brave - Nicolas Evans

(not quite what I was expecting when I picked it up but definitely enjoyable, if predictable)

Dead Souls - Ian Rankin

(My first Rebus book despite living in or around Edinburgh since 1988!!Really enjoyed it, although I found the tying up of all the loose ends at the end a little speedy. Definitely want to try some more of the Rebus books)

Reckless - Andrew Gross (recommendation from my late brother in law again, who leant me a Lee Child book which I loved - been told if I liked that I'll like this)

Murder of Roger Ackroyd (save that for the discussion for November!)

and I thought I'd hardly read this year - more than I expected to list which makes me feel better :)

Started Cold Mountain (Charles Frazier) - meant to leave this for when the rest of my life was quieter but it called to me to start it last night and it's already got me gripped!

To read list

Cairngorm John: A Life in Mountain Rescue - John Allen & Robert Davidson

Faceless Killers - Henning Mankell

The Eye of the Leopard - Henning Mankell (not a Wallander and not even Sweden, will be interesting)

The Hearts of Horses - Molly Gloss (my late brother in law loved this book apparently so I thought I'd give it a go)

Resurrection Man - Ian Rankin (my second ever Rebus book - enjoying the first at the mo!)

Edited by Ali9321

• 3 weeks later...

Well that's me finished Reckless - it was a good yarn and for the most part kept me gripped but I did start to waver 2/3 of the way through. Few moments even before that when I had a "why am I reading book about finanical market" moments but overall I really enjoyed it. Might try another of the authors at some point but not really at the top of my list....

Well that's me finished Reckless - it was a good yarn and for the most part kept me gripped but I did start to waver 2/3 of the way through. Few moments even before that when I had a "why am I reading book about finanical market" moments but overall I really enjoyed it. Might try another of the authors at some point but not really at the top of my list....

Is Reckless a fiction book Ali? Sorry to read about your brother-in-law.

Ta and Oops, sorry yes - I didn't say did I ...

This is amazon's synopsis....

Ty Hauck has left law enforcement for a job with a big-time private security firm. But he quickly learns that life in the private sector can be every bit as dangerous as wearing a badge - if not more so. When a successful trader at one of Wall Street's largest firms is murdered his suburban home along with his wife and daughter, it seems at first to be a case of burglary gone wrong. Then another financial executive is found dead in a very suspicious 'suicide'. As Hauck digs deeper he uncovers a horrifying financial conspiracy that stretches from New York to Central Europe to London. And the masterminds behind it will kill anyone who gets in their way!

Oh I'm so glad I found this forum - it's making make time to read each day which is brilliant! Life is a bit hectic at the mo and yet I'm still finding the time to read a chapter or so at least each day and I'm loving it :)

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is finished and I'll save the comments for November. Started Cold Mountain, I loved the film and when I saw the book in the charity shop I had to buy it. It's already got me gripped....

Is the book better than, same as or not as good as the film Ali? and are you picturing Nicole Kidman, Renée Zellweger and Jude Law in the parts? I always pictured the characters from the Potter movies in the parts because I'd never read any of the books until after I'd seen the first movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Been struggling with this one, but not the fault of the book - just life got in the way and seemed to have stopped me reading! I even took it on a long weekend away and was so tired after the walking that barely got anything read!

I'm finding it impossible to not picture the actors as the characters, but they do fit really well together - not yet sure whether that's because they chose well or that my brain is being insistent! I am finding I feel like I'm there when I'm reading the descriptions of the country around Cold Mountain

Still good. Just wishing I had more time!