Strictly Come Dancing 2011

chesilbeach

Well, it's that time of year again when my obsession with Strictly takes over! In case anyone is interested, the new series gets its launch show on Saturday night, and we'll find out which professional dancers this years celebrities will be matched up with.

The celebrities taking part this year are:

Alex Jones

Anita Dobson

Audley Harrison

Chelsee Healey

Dan Lobb

Edwina Currie

Harry Judd

Holly Valance

Jason Donovan

Lulu

Nancy Dell'Olio

Robbie Savage

Rory Bremner

Russell Grant

I'm actively avoiding spoilers as to the partnerships, so I'm getting quite excited about Saturday night!

Strictly has never really been A list has it? I don't think the celebrities on the whole are better or worse than any other year at this stage, but I can't really judge until after we've seen them in action after the first weeks dances. There have been other years with contestants who've had tenuous links to celebrity, so I don't think this year is any worse than any other year. The biggest difference this year is the lack of soap actors - we usually see at least a couple from EastEnders. Corrie or Hollyoaks, but this year the closest to that is Chelsee from Waterloo Road, or possibly Anita Dobson but she has moved on from EastEnders and is now much more of a stage actress. The best celebrities on Strictly are the ones who have a decent personality and are entertaining not only on the dance floor, but also in the training room and on It Takes Two, and from the videos I've seen so far, I like most of the people taking part so far. (But then I guess I'm biased!)

I think the line up is fun this year - a real mixture of people, Strictly always works best that way. Some great partneships too - Brendan and Lulu?!! That'll be interesting! My sister and I are huge Strictly fans, and I can't wait for it to begin :)

• 1 month later...

Holy cr@p! I can't believe Artem danced that brilliant jive on Saturday night with a fractured spine!!

From the Telegraph:

The 29-year-old dancer fought through acute back pain on Saturday night without realising the extent of his injury, helping former Neighbours actress Holly Valance pick up the second highest score of the evening.

However, Chigvintsev later had to pull out of a group dance in agony and was later told by doctors he had fractured a bone in his spine. It had earlier been diagnosed as just a strained muscle.

Chigvintsev, who won last year with actress Kara Tointon, has since been forced to watch rehearsals as Valance, 28, teams up fellow professional Brendan Cole, who was booted off the show with partner Lulu.

Doubts now hang over whether Chigvintsev will be fit enough to return to the BBC One show for the remainder of the contest.

In a statement, the BBC said: “Artem injured himself during rehearsals on Friday. Following medical attention he has been diagnosed with a transverse process fracture of the lumbar spine.

“We have been told that this sort of fracture is completely stable and he has been advised that there is no untoward effect from him continuing to dance.

“We will, of course, continue to review this following medical advice over the course of the week.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF8XxJcWSng

Seriously, holy cr@p! :o

I know! I've just been catching up on Twitter and saw that Holly had tweeted it, incredible professionalism to dance through the sort of pain that that sort of injury must cause. Brendan is teaching and training with Holly this week, but Artem is there and choreographing the actual routine they'll be dancing, just resting himself.

• 2 weeks later...

HOW have I missed this thread until now!!!!

Love love love Strictly! It's one of the few things to look forward to as the nights get longer in my opinion!!!!!!

Think they have a good bunch this year :D

I thought Wembley was a total failure and made the dances look more amateurish than usual. They can talk about the atmosphere all they like, but it didn't work on tv. I hope they don't do it again, but it seems inevitable.

Have to admit I'm kind of disappointed that Russell has gone. In previous years I couldn't wait to see the backs of people like Widdicombe and Sergeant, but Russell's been great fun, and at least he tried, unlike the other two I mentioned.

I agree - I thought the sound and lighting were terrible too. I know it's much more difficult in a big arena to manage the sound, but I still think they could have done better, and lighting, particularly in Tess's pit made everyone look very odd colours (and not just because of the spray tan!). The platform in the middle either got in the way or the couples stuck to that rather than making use of the bigger space. I think they would have been better off making the floor smaller and having more seating around the edge. Much better last year when they decamped to Blackpool when Children In Need was on. I know they're going there for the final, but they went twice in Series 1, so don't know why they didn't do the same this year.

I'm with you guys - thought last weeks wasnt good The nice atmosphere they usually have was gone and I just wanted them to be back where they usually are

Not long now though!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I think the right person won in the end, even though I voted for Chelsee :lol: She seemed the more natural dancer to me, but her routines in the final didn't seem to me to have that extra layer of polish that Harry's did.

I hope they keep Zoe for ITT next year. I wasn't sure I'd like her taking over from Winkelman at first, but she made it her own :)

I voted for Chelsee too even though I think she wasn't at her best on Saturday, but I couldn't overlook Harry's pigeon toes, which were terrible at times during the quickstep.

I have loved Zoe on ITT especially reunited with Ian on Waite's Wednesday Warm Up, but I have to say I hope Claudia is back next year. I keep hoping that they'll replace Tess, so perhaps they could give Zoe that job!

I voted for Chelsee too even though I think she wasn't at her best on Saturday, but I couldn't overlook Harry's pigeon toes, which were terrible at times during the quickstep.

I have loved Zoe on ITT especially reunited with Ian on Waite's Wednesday Warm Up, but I have to say I hope Claudia is back next year. I keep hoping that they'll replace Tess, so perhaps they could give Zoe that job!

I would have liked to have seen Chelsee win, however it was a really close thing. I really like Zoe Ball on ITT, but I can't stand all the whooping and cheering by Zoe and the camera crew, after Zoe's every sentence!