Ghost Song by Sarah Rayne

dawnbirduk

Never heard or read anything by this author before, it was a slow start, but ended a most refreshing read, I just couldn't put it down, the story just got into my soul.

It flitted from the 1880's to 1914 to the Present, but it was done remarkably well and tied together very nicely, with a completely unexpected ending. I just loved it, I loved the characters, the writing style and most of all the story. :readingtwo:

From Amazaon - The old Tarleton music hall on London's Bankside is the subject of a mysterious restraint order that has kept it closed for over ninety years. When Robert Fallon is asked to survey the building, he finds clues indicating that its long twilight sleep may contain a sinister secret. Joining forces with researcher Hilary Bryant, Robert discovers the legend of the Tarleton's 'ghost' - a mysterious figure who was first glimpsed during the time of the charismatic performer Toby Chance, once the darling of Edwardian audiences until he vanished suddenly and inexplicably in the early 1900s. After almost a century, the Tarleton's dark silence is about to end. But there are those who find its re-opening a threatening prospect and, as Robert and Hilary delve into the macabre history of one of London's oldest music halls, they both become menaced by the secrets of the past.