Nici's Reading

Nici

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still reading Bronwen's book, but also starting on another review book:

The Lure of the Wolf ~ Jennifer St Giles (book 2 in the Shadowmen series)

Mighty warriors sworn to protect humanity, the shape-shifters known as The Shadowmen move between two worlds. Now their dark leader has exiled himself from the spirit world, opening the door to the forces of chaos...and to the power of love.

Half wolf, half man, Aragon has abandoned his brethren to repay a debt of honor; he is sworn to kill a rogue Blood Hunter, though exacting revenge will doom him to a ghostly existence trapped between two worlds. But when a mortal woman unexpectedly calls him to her side, the heat of her soft flesh arouses a hunger in him that threatens to complicate his mission.

Dr. Annette Batista, a dedicated healer, is determined to find her missing sister. With the amulet found at the site of her sister's disappearance, she unwittingly summons a shadowy warrior. She wonders if she can trust this powerful male named Aragon, who claims he can vanquish her sister's captor -- the very monster he's vowed to destroy. Or is Annette blinded by her shocking passion for the most alluring, mysterious man she's ever seen?

Ah, that's what I hope my first novel turns out like! :blush: I was going to get her first one when I could get my hands on it, so hopefully I'll enjoy it.

• 3 weeks later...

I finished The Lure of the Dark Wolf this evening:-

Synopsis from Fantastic Fiction

Mighty warriors sworn to protect humanity, the shape-shifters known as The Shadowmen move between two worlds. Now their dark leader has exiled himself from the spirit world, opening the door to the forces of chaos

Finished Nightswallow ~ Bronwen Winter Phoenix last night.

Synopsis:

'Night Swallow is dead. A former travel journalist, she lost herself in beautiful worlds far from the London apartment where she was murdered. Following a series of dark events on an isolated island, she must face her face as she is forced to learn the ways of the spirits around her. As things start to spiral out of control, she is sucked deeper into a world she no longer recognises to battle the unstoppable force she uncovered on her travels. With help from mesmerising spirits along the way ~ Magnus, a mysterious loner; Gabrielle, an extravagant former theatre actress and Leon, an unusual librarian with a penchant for seeing the dead ~ Night has to stop her killer from destroying all that she loved. But will her unfinished business lead her to the final answer?'

My thoughts:

Well, what a fantastic book! Considering this is only the author’s second book, it is written as if she has been writing forever!

From the first sentence I was hooked, I was even showing my friends what a great first line this book started with!

Following Night’s journey, you are taken into the past as well as the present; both stories intertwining brilliantly.

I loved the characters, particularly Magnus and the description of places, people and events were brilliantly written. The life after death aspect has certainly given me something to think about.

A great book and I look forward to reading more of the author’s work. This will go down as one of my favourite books of the year.

Thank you Bronwen for giving me the opportunity to read your book. :giggle:

Hi Ben, I only just read this! Thanks, I hope you enjoy it too :)

I would if I could get hold of it. It just seems to keep slipping my mind what with all the other books out there to read and what not. :giggle: I will try though.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had real big problems for the past few weeks with my reading. Nothing has been holding my interest. I have started so many books and put them back down again. :)

But I have been able to read a lot of magazines (costing me a small fortune!) so I decided that a book of short stories would probably do the trick so today I started Saki ~ The Complete Short Stories which I received when about a year or so ago Penguin Classics ran a competition to be sent one of their books to review. The link was posted by one of our members on the forum and like a lot of other members here I never got round to reading it :) but now it seems to be just what I need! Horray!

Here's the blurb:

In these macabre,acid and very funny short stories, Saki drives a knife into the upper crust of English Edwardian life. Here we meet in particular two of his most brilliant creations, the self-possessed Clovis and the vain and supremely stylist Reginald. There is tea on the lawn, the smell of gunshot, the tinkle of the caviar fork and under it all the half seen, helf felt menace lying beneath the polished surface of society.

• 1 month later...

Ho hum, so I gave up on Saki, I then started reading Peter James ~ Dead Man Walking as I love Peter James but not even that held my attention so I am now reading Atonement ~ Ian McEwan.

Hopefully I finish this one.... :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Hurray for the first time in months I have finished a book! :censored:

I throughly enjoyed Atonement. The author does tend to ramble quite a lot but nevertheless still a good read.

I thought the second half of the book was better than the first and indeed I know of quite a few people who gave up on it before it got really good. So I am glad I stuck with it.

Set mostly during WWII, It tells the tale of how one moment in time, one mistake, can change the future so dramatically.

I find all thing WWII related really interesting so to get different points of view from Nurses and Soldiers was fasicinating.

Quite a sad tale really but totally compelling.

Now onto: A Secret Alchemy ~ Emma Darwin.