I need quick and simple stir-fry recipes!

shelley.s

I’m looking for your favourite quick and simple stir-fry recipes – nothing with to many ingredients 

I’m new to the world of the wok pan and recently got one for my birthday along with a couple of stir-fry books.

So far I’ve only cooked one but it tasted amazing. It was called sesame beef, I used soy sauce, chilli flakes, a green pepper, 3 cloves of garlic, 4 spring onions & noodles.

What should I do next? My partner isn’t keen on meat (he always picks round it and it annoys me) so if any one has a tasty veg only recipe that would be fab!

A great sauce is to mix freshly grated ginger, honey and a little soy sauce so that the consistency is about half as thick as the honey started out. It's great with pultry, pork or veg and makes a lovely sweet sauce. You can add some chilli flakes too for some extra kick if you like. :)

A great sauce is to mix freshly grated ginger, honey and a little soy sauce so that the consistency is about half as thick as the honey started out. It's great with pultry, pork or veg and makes a lovely sweet sauce. You can add some chilli flakes too for some extra kick if you like. :)

That sounds yummy! I think I'll try that later! I want to make it for tea tonight so will get some ingredients later. What sort of veg would you recommend?

Edited by shelley.s

I tend to get at the supermarket a packet of stir fry vegetables but sometimes find they have too much cabbage in them.

vegetables you tend to find in them are: -

beansprouts, sugar snap peas, baby sweetcorns, red and/or green peppers, onions, sping onions, pack choi, carrotts, sweetcorn (ordinary) and water chestnuts (which you can also get in tins).

I would say basically you can use any vegetables you like, I tend to find its the sauces you use that make the difference. I also like to cook mine a person a time ie I will cook a portion for one person then do a portion for another person after that as they don't take long and cook better with less in the wok. This also means you can put in what each person wants each time so no one has to pick out the bits they don't like.

I have also recently discovered some cooking oil especially for the wok I can't remember if it was wok oil or stir fry oil but it works much better than olive oil which is what I was using before.

I also find adding Cashew nuts lovely to any stir fry (if you like them that is) if you are doing it with noodles its also worth investing in sesame oil as this gives a lovely taste to the noodles (don't add too much though).

Thanks for the tips! I went with a stir fry pack in the end. It has carrots, pak choi, sping onion,sweet pea's (in the pod), baby corn and some other leafy bits I also got pork loins (I want meat in mine,) honey & ginger and I have soy at home. I'm going to marinade the pork in the honey, soy and ginger then cook. I'm going to add noodles too. Should I put garlic in my marinade? Sounds odd so I'm not so sure?

Wish me luck!

I also find adding Cashew nuts lovely to any stir fry (if you like them that is) if you are doing it with noodles its also worth investing in sesame oil as this gives a lovely taste to the noodles (don't add too much though).

I do have some sesaeme oil at home which I can use for my noodles! I will look out for the oil though as I did read that olive oil isnt very good for stir-frying. At the moment I just use vegetable oil.

My favourite is a supermarket stir fry veg pack (they do lots of different ones, a pack of noodles, fried up until warm then I mix 2 tablespoons of sweet chilli sauce and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and add to the mix. It is delicious!

Yes you do get a good mix of veg in the packs! Although my ffridge is always stocked with fresh veg I don't always have certain ones required by the recipe!

Your sauce sounds really nice. I don't have any sweet chilli left but I'll definatly get some and try that next week!

The problem I had with my first attempt was that I put the veg in a tad too late and it made my beef a bit chewier than I would have liked. I'm going to learn from than and add it to my pan much sooner this time, although I'm using pork and not beef this time round

I'm not the best cook, I'm definitely still learning but I made a nice sweet and sour sauce from my 'student cookbook' that was really nice with pork. It's just 100ml pineapple juice, 4 tablespoons tomato ketchup, 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon light soy sauce, 1 tablespoon caster sugar and a tablespoon of cornflour mixed together. (that's for four people though so I guess you'd have to adjust the measurements).

It also had cucumber (roughly peeled and de-seeded) in the recipe to be put in the pan about 3 minutes before you take it off the heat which I thought was unusual but really nice :)

I'm a veggie, so mine includes quorn, but you can obviously put chicken in it if needs be! (this is also a 'free' meal on slimming world)

I start by whisking up about 2 eggs in a bowl - throw them in a stir fry and make a little ommlette. (this is just my way of doing it). Once cooked, take it out of the pan and put it aside.

I stirfry some veg, like carrots, onions, corgettes, red peppers, mushrooms and a little bit of chilli (I never use a whole one! :P) - if you have baby corn and mange tout thats also good.

Next I throw in the quorn so its heated up enough.

In the mean time I boil up some rice and when its cooked I throw it in the wok with the veg etc. I then throw in the omlette (cut into strips) and then I douse the whole thing in dark soy sauce.

It really doesnt take long. it basically takes as long as rice takes to boil - so say, 10 mins?

it's perfection!

Both sound nice although I've never heard of using egg in a stir fry! I do often cook with quorn but I'm trying to use more meat as I get bored of quorn. I made the sauce suggested by Kell and it was delicious! Althoughi added garlic as well. I used a bit too much oil though but it still tasted nice!

This one is very light and simple, just sliced onions, garlic, pak choi, mushrooms and quorn pieces stir-fried and flovoured with light soy sauce and a pinch of fennel seeds. I made it when I was recovering from an illness and wanted something easy and not too rich. I had it with plain boiled rice. You could obviously use chicken instead of quorn.

That sounds yummy! I think I'll try that later! I want to make it for tea tonight so will get some ingredients later. What sort of veg would you recommend?

I tend to go for carrots, peppers, onions, baby sweetcorn, beansprouts, water chestnuts and bamboo shoots. They all taste great in this sauce, with or without meat. :)

I agree with this - both the cashew nuts and the sesame oil are a staple part of my stirfry "entourage" - fabulous! :)

Both sound nice although I've never heard of using egg in a stir fry! I do often cook with quorn but I'm trying to use more meat as I get bored of quorn. I made the sauce suggested by Kell and it was delicious! Althoughi added garlic as well. I used a bit too much oil though but it still tasted nice!

Ooh, it's SUPPOSED to have some crushed garlic in it, I forgot to add that in the post! So you got the right recipe after all by sheer chance - LOL! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

I tend to go for carrots, peppers, onions, baby sweetcorn, beansprouts, water chestnuts and bamboo shoots. They all taste great in this sauce, with or without meat. :)

I agree with this - both the cashew nuts and the sesame oil are a staple part of my stirfry "entourage" - fabulous! :)

Ooh, it's SUPPOSED to have some crushed garlic in it, I forgot to add that in the post! So you got the right recipe after all by sheer chance - LOL! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Haha the garlic was a good shout then! Garlic and honey sounds odd when you say it out loud but it tastes good together!