Carole Matthews - Welcome to the Real World

Michelle

Fern Kendal has the voice of an angel but, as a badly paid barmaid and pub singer, she's going nowhere. Then she enters the TV talent show Fame Game and this could be her big break. If only, in the real world, things were that simple.

Evan David's exquisite tones have enthralled opera buffs throughout the world. His agent, his coach, his chauffeur and his chef are just a few of those who pander to his every need. But what Evan needs now is a break - from it all.

When Fern is picked to be Evan's assistant their two worlds collide and neither one is prepared for the dramatic effect they will have on each other.

For something happens when they are together - and it's more than just music...

Having LOVED The Chocolate Lover's Club, this one was never going to live up to it.. but it was still a great, fun read.

Carole has a knack of writing warm, believeable characters, even if they're rich opera singers! The most loveable, however, is Fern.. who has to deal with a grotty flat, a sick nephew, and hilarious parents!

One of the things I love about these books is the sense of humour that runs through them. Carole proves, however, that she can also write very touching moments.

All in all, a fun, light read when you need to relax.

• 1 month later...

I read this last year, and being a bit of a musician really liked the comparisons that Carole made between classical and popular music.

I was pleased to see that the review I wrote helped get it on the Romantic Novellist Association Book of the Year Award shortlist!

I was pleased to see that the review I wrote helped get it on the Romantic Novellist Association Book of the Year Award shortlist!

Were you part of the team that made the list up then?

I have to admit, I wasn't quite so keen on this one. My favourite has got to be The Chocolate Lover's club. :)

Were you part of the team that made the list up then?

I was for the longlist - it was very exciting. I've actually received an email this evening asking me if I want to take part again next year. There is an application form on the RNA website (http://www.rna-uk.org/index.php?page=rnoty_award) if anyone else is interested in reading for them for next year.