Transworld Book Group

Kell

Just finished Crippen - what a read! A real 5/5 book that one. I'll be re-reading it to pick up on the little bits I might have glossed over. I'll also be doing more research on the man himself. It's rare a novel entices me to do more research on my own like this, but I'm abslutely fascinated. I think this one is going straight into my permanent collection!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished Crippen - what a read! A real 5/5 book that one. I'll be re-reading it to pick up on the little bits I might have glossed over. I'll also be doing more research on the man himself. It's rare a novel entices me to do more research on my own like this, but I'm abslutely fascinated. I think this one is going straight into my permanent collection!

I'm very, very happy that I picked Crippen myself :smile2:

Michelle, why don't you ask them if you could change your 'order'? It doesn't hurt to ask. :) That's the advise you gave me some weeks ago and I got some great results :cool:

I have finally finished reading Caligula by Douglas Jackson, and all I can say is WOW! I loved it and I want to read the rest of the series now!

I'm kinda sad that I didn't pick this book in the end, but I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with the ones that I did choose.

Echoing my earlier question: Does anyone know if there's a deadline to when these books have to be read?

Edited by frankie

My fourth and final book arrived yesterday morning - The Colour of Death by Michael Cordy. Having seen such great reviews of it, I was really looking forward to it, but what all the reviews failed to mention was that it's written in the present tense. I HATE present tense writing - it bugs the hell out of me and I have real difficulty in reading it. In the past I've been completely unable to enjoy books that would otherwise have been wonderful because they were written in this style. When I opened it last night and realised this, my heart sank. I tried reading one page but put it down as I was too tired to really concentrate on sorting out the tense in my head, so I've picked up a different book to read first till I can decide if I can read the Michael Cordy one.

Does anyone else have a problem with a certain style of writing (first, second or third person) or tense (past present or future)?

And if anyone fancies swapping, let me know!

That's a shame, Michelle. :(

I don't know if I'm going to be able to read The Colour of Death by Michael Cordy because of teh present tense stuff, which would be disappointing because the other three books I got were brilliant and I've heard such great things about this one too.

I'm serious though - if anyone fancies a swap, please let me know!

Frankie, I did ask about swapping, and they said yes. :) Kell, what did they say about your last book?

My review of The Secrets Between Us:

I’ve taken a while to reflect on this book before writing my review – every review I’ve read so far has been glowing, whereas for me, the book didn’t quite work.Sarah has been through a very difficult time, dealing with both a stillbirth and the betrayal of her partner sleeping with her best friend. She goes away with her sister to think things over, and whilst there she meets Alex, and his son Jamie. She seems immediately smitten – after just two meetings she sleeps with him, and agrees to move in. Although this arrangement is partly to help with Jamie, it’s also a romantic arrangement, and I think this early point is where I lost my connection with the story. Sarah is meant to be damaged from her experiences, and yet she’s jumping into a new relationship without a second thought.

Once moved in, Sarah realises that Alex’s missing partner, Genevieve, was loved by all around her. They find it hard to understand why she left, and why she hasn’t been in touch since, and so Sarah is understandably not made very welcome.

From here, the book isn’t sure if it’s trying to be a romance, a ghost story, or a thriller. Sarah and Alex’s relationship is rather volatile, and there were many times when I wondered why she stayed. The ghost story doesn’t quite evolve enough, and the thriller aspect seems stronger during the second half.

As a positive, Louise does manage a good sense of menace throughout, with many of the characters changing, and making you wonder who to trust.

It is a good story line, with quite a few twists, and it keeps going until the end. I just think I’ve seen it better done. However, with the amount of 5 star reviews, it must be working for most people, so it’s probably worth a go.

If anyone fancies a swap of one of the books they've received (whether you've read it and want to try another one, or couldn't get into it and would like to try another instead), I have The Colour of Death by Michael Cordy which according to all the other reviews is great, but I can't read it because I just can't get on with present tense format. Would love to swap for one of the following (in order of preference):

•  
  • Death Sentence by Mikkel Birkegaard
  • The Water Room by Christopher Fowler
  • The Sandalwood Tree by Elle Newmark
  • Teacher, Teacher! by Jack Sheffield
  • The Secrets Between Us by Louise Douglas
  • Twelve by Jasper Kent
  • The Obscure Logic of the Heart by Priya Basil

If you're interested, gimme a shout! :)

• 3 weeks later...

That's a shame, Michelle. :(

I don't know if I'm going to be able to read The Colour of Death by Michael Cordy because of teh present tense stuff, which would be disappointing because the other three books I got were brilliant and I've heard such great things about this one too.

If you're interested, gimme a shout! :)

Did you manage to get it swapped? I've now finally finished The Water Room (which was second on your preference list), it took me ages to finish but that was not the book's fault, I've been preoccupied in other ways and wasn't in the right mood. If you still want to, I wouldn't mind swapping, The Colour of Death was one of the books I almost chose myself. When I post to UK it costs me about 2-4e, depending on how much the book weighs, and I would imagine it's not more expensive for you to send over to Finland. Let me know what you think :)

I'm going to write my review soon and will hopefully have time to at least get the second book on my list to read before the end of October :)

Edited by frankie

• 2 weeks later...

The Transworld Book Group Reading Challenge are the nicest people ever! I've only just finished my first book and written and posted the review. I've had so much other stuff going on I haven't really had the time to focus on the challenge so much. So, as the deadline of the challenge is nearing, I wrote to them asking if they thought they could still send me one of the books (either Crippen or Teacher! Teacher!), because I won't have time to read all 3 books in just a few days. I was also worried that the delivery would take so long that it would not make any sense for them to send me the books.

They've just replied to my e-mail, saying that unfortunately they do have a deadline, meaning the last books are sent out on 31st October, but that they do have the time for the delivery and then they asked me if I would like them to send me both Crippen and Teacher! Teacher!. I mean, how cool and nice is that? I'm very happy and grateful :smile2:

Hmm... I'm still not exactly sure. I'm not very keen on taking a true life person, and writing fiction around them. If the story had been totally fictitious, it was make a good story - but I'm not keen on the way Crippen is portrayed. But then again, it's encouraged me to go and research more about the actual case, and facts. :)

I, on the other hand, loved Crippen and how the whole thing was portrayed. It meant there was still some suspense even though his case is very well-known. :)

Hmm... I'm still not exactly sure. I'm not very keen on taking a true life person, and writing fiction around them. If the story had been totally fictitious, it was make a good story - but I'm not keen on the way Crippen is portrayed. But then again, it's encouraged me to go and research more about the actual case, and facts. :)

I, on the other hand, loved Crippen and how the whole thing was portrayed. It meant there was still some suspense even though his case is very well-known. :)

Michelle, I believe Kell wrote earlier that she also went to do some research on the subject, it was that interesting. :)

As for the story, I had no idea it's based on a true case :D Just like with The Suspicions of Mr Whicher, I heard about it on here and then bought it because it sounded like a great story, and then I heard that it's actually a true crime case.

I ended up doing more research afterwards too, just to see how much of it was fact and how much fiction. Obviously personal exchanges had to be imagined by the author, but pretty much the whole case as it was is in the novel. :)

I ended up doing more research afterwards too, just to see how much of it was fact and how much fiction. Obviously personal exchanges had to be imagined by the author, but pretty much the whole case as it was is in the novel. :)

Apart, of course,

that in the book he's actually innocent!

:)