The Last Film You Saw ~ Part 2

Chrissy

Tim Burton's Frankenweenie .. and I was very disappointed in it. Wish you could ask for your money back like in restaurants (though I never have there either biggrin.png) It wasn't a patch on Nightmare Before Xmas.

Thanks poppyshake there was something I didn't like about the trailer for Frankenweenie...so looks like my instincts were right. Don't let that put you off Dark Shadows though...that was a good one, my kids loved it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple more films I have gotten to see:

Prometheus. Hmm I just don't know about this one. It just didn't gel as a convincing or exciting story for me. I think it wanted to have the big scope of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Something grand and noble like. But it just ended up being a little tale about greedy people trying to turn alien technology to their own advantage. And we never get to understand the motives of the progenitor aliens, or care much about the characters.

Fast Girls. A Brit chickflick about a poor mixed race girl and her posh white rival who both make the British athletic team, who dislike each other. I had been looking forward to this one but it was a bit predictable and superficial. The poor girl is actually a bit of a disaster, she is gobby and seems to have a chip on her shoulder to be honest. I suppose we are supposed to interpret and excuse her outbursts as "attitude". The rich white girl is also just a caricature, she lives in a massive house and her mother is always lounging about playing classical music.

This was a fantasy world of athletics, slow motion filming and camera tricks to make them look fast on the track. It really would not have hurt the cast to have done at least a little bit to get in shape and look the part. Unfortunately their fat obviously unconditioned behinds wobbling about when they run ruined the illusion from the word go. Two of my kids really liked it though, at least there was no violence .

^^Oh, I love the Coen Brothers version. Probably because Jeff Bridges is a favourite actor of mine, and John Wayne is one actor I just can't stand to watch!

I watched a couple of films over the weekend - Twilight....not the vampirey one. This was from the late 1990s and stars Paul Newman, Gene Hackman, Susan Sarandon and James Garner. It's a kind of film noir. Sort of thing you would expect to made in the 1940s, and star Humphrey Bogart! Anyway, it was pretty good, and worth a watch.

I also watched The Scarlett O'Hara War - a film about the search for the perfect actress to play Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With The Wind. Hugely entertaining, and well worth watching if you are a fan of the book, or especially of the film Gone With The Wind. The search for the right actress to play Scarlett was indeed a huge headache for David O Selznick, and practically every Hollywood actress wanted the part. A nationwide search was launched to find the perfect actress, and in the end as we all know, they ended up with a Brit! And she was perfect :)

Edited by Ruth

The latest version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I enjoyed it but it really didn't add anything that the previous adaptation lacked. I am fan of of Daniel Craig and a big one of David Fincher but this just seems like an unnecessary, money-making gambit.

They couldn't get away with changing the names and places so they just settled for changing the nationalities and accents of the characters... pointless.

Some good films getting mentioned. Steve we will have to agree to differ about True Grit! I love the Cohen Brothers' version it is much more faithful to the book. But each to his own.

Saiyarasai haven't seen that one. Should I bother?

Ruth when was The Scarlett O'Hara War made? That seems an unusual sort of film to be made back then although very common now.

Sofia hope you had plenty of chocolate and goodies to go with all them. Had you seen them all before?

I watched Hairspray yesterday with a friend, and I loved it. Eventhough I can't stand musicals (except for Fame and West Side Story)

Is that the one with Divine in it Frankie? I think there are a few different versions, which are a bit mixed up in my head unfortunately.

Some good films getting mentioned. Steve we will have to agree to differ about True Grit! I love the Cohen Brothers' version it is much more faithful to the book. But each to his own.

Saiyarasai haven't seen that one. Should I bother?

Ruth when was The Scarlett O'Hara War made? That seems an unusual sort of film to be made back then although very common now.

Sofia hope you had plenty of chocolate and goodies to go with all them. Had you seen them all before?

It was made in 1980 - Tony Curtis stars as David O. Selznick, and it's interesting to see famous stars of the 30s played by other actors. Edward Winter was excellent as Clark Gable; looked like him, and got his voice and speech inflections pretty much perfect.

It's not available on DVD as far as I can tell, but it pops up every so often on the True Movies channel. Definitely worth looking out for. :)

Tim Burton's Frankenweenie .. and I was very disappointed in it. Wish you could ask for your money back like in restaurants (though I never have there either :D) It wasn't a patch on Nightmare Before Xmas.

Funnily enough I've just come back from seeing that at the cinema and I really enjoyed it. You're right though, 'Nightmare Before Christmas' is better.

I have! I love old cheesy horror movies :giggle: this weekend we'll (my daughter and I) have a Halloween movie themed weekend...with pizza, popcorn and chocs!

Edited by Sofia

Funnily enough I've just come back from seeing that at the cinema and I really enjoyed it. You're right though, 'Nightmare Before Christmas' is better.

Alan didn't think it was so bad either .. but he didn't think it was so good either. I was expecting more that's all I can say and it seemed a bit saccharine and clichéd for a Tim Burton film.

Thanks poppyshake there was something I didn't like about the trailer for Frankenweenie...so looks like my instincts were right. Don't let that put you off Dark Shadows though...that was a good one, my kids loved it.

I won't, but you may think differently about Frankenweenie .. see Karen above :D

I watched an Indie film called Tiny Furniture. I heard about it and got it off Amazon I paid way more than I normally do for a DVD .It was supposed to be a witty comedic look at life according to reviews . It turned out to be one of those New York comedies where nothing is actually funny and no background music so seems interminably long and all the characters seem to be disfunctional just for the sake of it .. The girl who starred in it wrote and directed it as well. It was well enough thought of to get her a TV show based on the same theme, which is being shown on UK TV now I think (Girls).

I watched Zombieland (gruesome but hilarious!) and Toy Story 3 (I've been wanting to see this for ages - it was brilliant). Oh, and I watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off for the umpteenth time.

I watched two films at the weekends. Cabaret, with Liza Minnelli, and....sorry to say it, but I really did not like this film at all. The acting was great, some of the dancing was terrific, but the film left me on a right downer. And all of the characters in it were horrible.

Also watched the Fred and Ginger classic, Top Hat, which I have seen before. I love this film :)

Mission: Impossible, Ghost Protocol. Surprised by how much I enjoyed this, it was laughable in some areas but also some great action and heavy tension. I have never been a fan of the previous movies but this one felt much better!

Also going to see Skyfall tonight :D

Ruth's post reminded me that I watched That's Entertainment last weekend - basically a long advertisement for all of MGM's classic films of the golden era. They show snippets of the many musicals they produced and interview different actors. It's pretty, well, entertaining. :)