Not buying any more books

My TBR pile just went up by another 3, I forgot to add them as they are downstairs and one is in my bag! that makes 194 ooops :giggle2:

Oh well, you may as well make it 200 now, off you go, check out that wishlist, I'm sure you can think of just 6 more.......... :giggle:

I am ashamed at the number books I've bought that haven't been read ...and I've gone out and bought more!

I was going to say my eyes are bigger than my belly ... but it doesn't sound right! :giggle2:

Don't be ashamed, you belong to a very elite group, the Book Club Forumites, you wouldn't be welcome here unless you were addicted to books!! :lol:

There's no way I'd be able to do this challenge! For a start, I get tempted constantly to buy books when I'm anywhere near a bookshop.

But, also, I actually can't do it because I'll have to be buying books for uni, and I don't think my tutor will accept the excuse that I can only read books I already have :giggle:

I've just found a book by susan hill detailing how she had so many books at home that she decided to only read what she had on her shelves for a year. I'm considering trying it out. Possibly for a shorter time though. Maybe until the end of the year? Anyone else considering this or have any of you tried it out?

I've started contemplating on this recently. I've bought so many books this year, that it's really messing up with my TBR numbers. I guess I've been buying so many books because I've found it a sort of a comfort treat for myself, I've been unhappy in life for such a long time. But now I'm doing very well and have suddenly realised I haven't felt this overpowering, urgent need to buy books anymore. Instead, I feel like I've found my love for actual reading again. Just last night when I was trying to pick my next read, I was going through my bookshelves, thinking 'I can't believe I have this book and that, why haven't I started reading them already?!'. So yes, I'm thinking I'll concentrate on reading the books on my shelves, rather than adding to the numbers of unread books.

However...

Never going to happen. I read Susan Hill's Howard's End Is On The Landing, and all it made me want to do was go out and get more books, in fact, I read a copy borrowed from the library, and had to go out and buy my own copy, as I knew it would be read and re-read, and often referred back to!

... can I buy this book first?!?

:giggle2:

EXACTLY! I bought Moll Flanders just yesterday because this store had it on 75% sale.

I bought it for a measly 0.35£!

But that being said, I'm definitely not buying any more books for a year or more. Not just to finish my TBR pile, but I have a goal to work towards now, academically and for my writing as well. I can let a 1 year worth of book-buying in a day be my reward if/when I achieve that, so count me in for the journey.

Oh well, you may as well make it 200 now, off you go, check out that wishlist, I'm sure you can think of just 6 more.......... :giggle:

Easy....forgot to add the 27 classic books I'd put in another section on my kindle and just for good measure had another free one downloaded to it yesterday :giggle2: so by my reckoning that's 222 :o there really is no hope for me :P

I'll wager Kylie is having nightmares because of this thread.

As a matter of fact, I did have a nightmare about books last night (not caused by this thread though). Some old woman was burning children's books for no particular reasons and I suggested (quite calmly, considering what she was doing) that perhaps she could just donate them to charity instead.

I bought a rather large number of books last year and I thought for sure I could never top that amount. Indeed, I didn't want to try even coming close to that. But somehow I'm already 3/4 of the way to that total and there are still over 5 months to go. :(

Like Frankie, I think at least part of my book buying problem is psychological. I've been unhappy for quite a while and buying books seems to be one of the few comforts I have at the moment. :(

Then again, it doesn't help when there are so many book sales etc. I ordered 20 books from the BD yesterday because suddenly most of the books on my wishlist became a lot cheaper and I saved $100 in ordering them when I did. I also have perhaps nearly 2 dozen other books on order. :huh:

Oh well, there are far worse things in life to be addicted to!

No, you may not. Don't ask why.

Yeah well this was going to be my New Year's Resolution ...... and then that thing called Kindle came along and I have been buying at the rate of knots (as well as the odd Paperback) and then of course there is the Oxfam bookshop in the town and I can't walk past there without looking in.

But hey, you know what, I don't care. I am a book addict and I can't or won't do anything to stop it. As Dorcas in Larkrise to Candleford says "it is my one weakness" :D

I've just found a book by susan hill detailing how she had so many books at home that she decided to only read what she had on her shelves for a year. I'm considering trying it out. Possibly for a shorter time though. Maybe until the end of the year? Anyone else considering this or have any of you tried it out?

Howards End On The Landing? I've seen that book and been so tempted to buy it (which kind of defeats the object, I guess!) I've tried to stop buying books more times than I can remember. I actually have cut down a LOT this year, but I still succumb to temptation sometimes. If I only read what's already on my shelves I would need a lot longer than a year to get through them all! :blush:

Edited by Ruth

Is that all? :D

Some time ago I adopted this thought, from Nassim Nicholas Taleb's book The Black Swan:

The writer Umberto Eco....is the owner of a large personal library (containing thirty thousand books), and separates visitors into two categories: those who react with "Wow!...What a library you have. How many of these books have you read?", and the others - a very small minority - who get the point that a private library is not an ego boosting appendage but a research tool. Read books are far less valuable than unread ones. The library should contain as much of what you don't know as your financial means....allow you to put there. You will accumulate more knowledge and more books as you grow older, and the growing number of unread books will look at you menacingly. Indeed, the more you know, the larger the rows of unread books. Let us call this collection of unread books an antilibrary.

Taleb then goes on to argue that what you don't know is far more important than what you do, and discuss how we handle the unexpected.

I LOVE that thought! I think I'm going to adopt it too - thanks Will :)

As a matter of fact, I did have a nightmare about books last night (not caused by this thread though). Some old woman was burning children's books for no particular reasons and I suggested (quite calmly, considering what she was doing) that perhaps she could just donate them to charity instead.

Evil witch! I had a dream last night that I was in England and I was madly hopping all over the place, to find a secondhand bookshop. But couldn't find one!

Like Frankie, I think at least part of my book buying problem is psychological. I've been unhappy for quite a while and buying books seems to be one of the few comforts I have at the moment.

:friends0: :friends0: Muchos hugs. Here's hoping things will get better soon :hug:

Edit: At least you're buying sensible things that will add to your education and intellect! Some people would use the money on drugs, booze, ciggies, food, gambling, etc etc etc!

No, you may not. Don't ask why.

:huh: I'm not asking you why. I'm only asking... no you didn't?! :o

Edited by frankie

I've started contemplating on this recently. I've bought so many books this year, that it's really messing up with my TBR numbers. I guess I've been buying so many books because I've found it a sort of a comfort treat for myself, I've been unhappy in life for such a long time. But now I'm doing very well and have suddenly realised I haven't felt this overpowering, urgent need to buy books anymore. Instead, I feel like I've found my love for actual reading again. Just last night when I was trying to pick my next read, I was going through my bookshelves, thinking 'I can't believe I have this book and that, why haven't I started reading them already?!'. So yes, I'm thinking I'll concentrate on reading the books on my shelves, rather than adding to the numbers of unread books.

However...

:giggle2:

I bought a rather large number of books last year and I thought for sure I could never top that amount. Indeed, I didn't want to try even coming close to that. But somehow I'm already 3/4 of the way to that total and there are still over 5 months to go. :(

Like Frankie, I think at least part of my book buying problem is psychological. I've been unhappy for quite a while and buying books seems to be one of the few comforts I have at the moment. :(

Then again, it doesn't help when there are so many book sales etc. I ordered 20 books from the BD yesterday because suddenly most of the books on my wishlist became a lot cheaper and I saved $100 in ordering them when I did. I also have perhaps nearly 2 dozen other books on order. :huh:

Oh well, there are far worse things in life to be addicted to!

I'm glad you're feeling better Frankie :) - and Kylie, I hope things improve for you soon :friends0:

My mom always says that if you're going to buy lots of something, you can't find anything better than books to spend your money on :) - a theory I subscribe to. I'm kind of okay now with the fact that I've got so many books, even though I know it will take a long time to read them all. I just keep thinking I'll get there one book at a time.

I did buy eight books last weekend :cool: but it was with gift cards from Waterstones. I had £45 to spend in gift cards, and because some of the books were in the 3 for 2 offer, I ended up with eight, and only had to pay 44 pence towards them. :)

Evil witch! I had a dream last night that I was in England and I was madly hopping all over the place, to find a secondhand bookshop. But couldn't find one!

Muchos hugs. Here's hoping things will get better soon.

Edit: At least you're buying sensible things that will add to your education and intellect! Some people would use the money on drugs, booze, ciggies, food, gambling, etc etc etc!

:huh: I'm not asking you why. I'm only asking... no you didn't?!

Aww, you had a bad dream too. :(friends0.gif

Thanks. I think things are improving slightly.

I was just saying the same thing to a friend at work this afternoon; it's better to spend my money on books than to waste it on nightclubs or gambling or something.

*looks away and whistles innocently* Hmm? Did you say something?

Kylie, I hope things improve for you soon

Thanks Ruth! You Mom is very smart. And cool. cool.gif

Would you welcome another subscriber, please? :giggle:

The more the merrier :D

Thanks Ruth! You Mom is very smart. And cool. cool.gif

Thank you; she is - I got my love of reading from my mom and dad, and I'm forever grateful :)

Edited by Ruth