Hi!

Delilah

Hi, I'm Delilah at least on here, lol! I've read a lot of novels especially British Victorian classics like Austen, the Brontes, Thomas Hardy. The thing is I usually don't reread books with very few exceptions will read a favorite twice. I especially like Gothic suspense like Edgar Allan Poe, J. Sheridan Le Fanu, etc. Today's writers for some reason are not at least to me at that level. At times, I even find myself writing like these authors as I read them so much! I wish I could have discussed my feelings as I was reading these novels! Hard to remember what I felt when I was reading them for the first time!

I am currently reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. I admire his writing style however I don't think his mysteries are that veiled as I can usually make out the suspect. My favorite was "A Scandal in Bohemia." I thought it was cool that Doyle allowed a woman to beat Sherlock Holmes!

Hey there Delilah.. sorry I couldn't resist. :giggle:

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll love it, and I look forward to seeing you in discussion. :friends3:

Thanks for the welcome! I'm sure I will like it here. Kylie, Hardy wrote some excellent novels such as Jude the Obscure and The Mayor of Casterbridge

Didn't know The Kinks had a song about Delilah as well. Freddy Mercury wrote one as well about his cat! Of all the Victorian authors I just can't seem to like Dickens maybe has something to do with his novels being so damn long! I can be a tad impatient with long novels!

So far I've only read Hardy's Far from the Madding Crowd. It took me ages to get into it but by the end I loved it. :)

I love Dickens! Have you tried A Tale of Two Cities or A Christmas Carol? They're both reasonably short and they're brilliant. It took me a while to get into AToTC, but it gets better and better as it goes along.

Far from the Maddening Crowd was one of my least favorite Hardy novels. Jude the Obscure and The Mayor of Casterbridge were much more interesting at least to me. I tried to read "A tale of two cities" years ago but I found it somewhat confusing and I never finished it. Maybe I'll give it a try again. Perhaps someone could do it as a book club selection?

Hi Delilah,

Welcome to the Book Club! :17:

I don't like the classics that much. I've tried Sherlock Holmes some time ago, but, reading a collection of the complete stories, I found every story quite the same. The crime happens, Sherlock does some mysterious research, and then tells, who did it. I have to read them separated. But, unlike you, I never suspectet the right person, as I didn't get enough information. In that, I find Doyle quite genious.

How do you like Agatha Christie?

Hi Delilah,

Welcome to the Book Club! :17:

I don't like the classics that much. I've tried Sherlock Holmes some time ago, but, reading a collection of the complete stories, I found every story quite the same. The crime happens, Sherlock does some mysterious research, and then tells, who did it. I have to read them separated. But, unlike you, I never suspectet the right person, as I didn't get enough information. In that, I find Doyle quite genious.

How do you like Agatha Christie?

Thanks for the welcome. I loved Ms. Marple but I read them quite some time ago so I can't remember which ones I read! The thing with Doyle is that there just aren't many suspects so while I might not be able to guess the how and why I usually can figure out the guilty party!

I live in Hernando County!

No way! I'm in Citrus County.

Hi, neighbor. *waves* :D

Oh, and have you ever been to Poe House Books?

I just thought you might since you are a Poe fan and it's not too far from where you are.

Edited by Pixie

No way! I'm in Citrus County.

Hi, neighbor. *waves* :D

Oh, and have you ever been to Poe House Books?

I just thought you might since you are a Poe fan and it's not too far from where you are.

No never heard of Poe House Books. Where is that located?

No never heard of Poe House Books. Where is that located?

It's in Crystal River on route 44. It's an old house converted into a used book store. The rooms are divided by genre.

It may not stay open much longer. There are a lot of places closing around here.