Challenging question for you all.

Hello everyone!

Please assist me in finding this book. I've read it as a child, but have not seen it since, and cannot even remember the name of it. I remember that it was a hardcover book, maybe written in the late 80's, early 90's, perhaps? It was a very adult book, not 'explicit' but the ghost stories therein were not really meant for someone my age, at the time I was 11, quite a tender age.

The cover of the book was black, the side of the book had a ghostly woman at the bottom of it. There were quite a few excellent stories within this book, but only two come readily to my mind. One was Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu's 'Camilla' and another was 'Death In a School-Room (A Fact)', by Walt Whitman. If I remember correctly, beneath the paper sheath that contains the book, the book is blue. Relatively thick, about 500-700 pages, perhaps? And I'm afraid that this is all I know, since I've not seen the book since I was 12, about 14 years ago.

Those who might be able to assist will have my most extreme gratitude.

Thanks in advanced!

Edited by Chrissy
Removed short story

The book might have been Masterpieces of Terror and the Supernatural. It has the two stories you mentioned in it - though it's possible they are also in other anthologies of course.

With a bit of Googling, I found on another forum the list of contents of the book mentioned by BelleS above - seeing some of the other stories contained within may confirm it.

Masterpieces of Terror and the Supernatural ed. Marvin Kaye (SFBC #5144, May ’85 [Apr ’85], $6.98, 623pp, hc); Anthology of 53 stories and poems by writers ranging from Bram Stoker and Poe to Walt Whitman and Tennessee Williams, with more recent authors represented as well.

xiii · Introduction: In Search of Masterpieces · Marvin Kaye · in

3 · Dracula’s Guest [Dracula] · Bram Stoker · ss Dracula’s Guest, London: Routledge, 1914; written in 1897 as part of Dracula, this chapter was omitted from the published book for reasons of length.

14 · The Professor’s Teddy Bear · Theodore Sturgeon · ss Weird Tales Mar ’48

24 · Bubnoff and the Devil · Ivan Turgenev & Marvin Kaye, adapt. · ss Fiends and Creatures, ed. Marvin Kaye, Popular Library, 1975

31 · The Quest for “Blank Claveringi” · Patricia Highsmith · ss The Saturday Evening Post Jun 17 ’67; revised from “The Snails”.

44 · The Erl-King · Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe · pm *; English adaption by Marvin Kaye

46 · The Bottle Imp · Robert Louis Stevenson · nv New York Herald Feb 8-Mar 1, 1891

71 · A Malady of Magicks [Ebenezum] · Craig Shaw Gardner · ss Fantastic Oct ’78

86 · Lan Lung [expanded from “Dragon...Ghost”] · M. Lucie Chin · nv Ares #1 ’80; restored version

106 · The Dragon Over Hackensack · Richard L. Wexelblat · pm *

107 · The Transformation · Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley · ss The Keepsake, 1831, 1830

122 · The Faceless Thing · Edward D. Hoch · ss Magazine of Horror Nov ’63

129 · The Anchor · Jack Snow · ss Dark Music and Other Spectral Tales, Herald, 1947

134 · When the Clock Strikes · Tanith Lee · ss Weird Tales #1, ed. Lin Carter, DAW, 1981

149 · Oshidori · Lafcadio Hearn · vi Kwaidan, Houghton Mifflin, 1904

151 · Carmilla [Martin Hesselius] · Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu · na The Dark Blue Dec, 1871 (+3)

214 · Eumenides in the Fourth Floor Lavatory · Orson Scott Card · nv Chrysalis 4, ed. Roy Torgeson, Zebra, 1979

229 · Lenore · Gottfried August Bürger · pm, 1773; English adaption by Dante Gabriel Rossetti

237 · The Black Wedding · Isaac Bashevis Singer; trans. by Martha Glicklich · ss The Spinoza of Market Street, Farrar Straus Giroux, 1958

245 · Hop-Frog · Edgar Allan Poe · ss The Flag of Our Union Mar 17, 1849

254 · Sardonicus · Ray Russell · nv Playboy Jan ’61

286 · Graveyard Shift [“The Faces”] · Richard Matheson · ss Ed McBain’s Mystery Book #1 ’60

291 · Wake Not the Dead · Johann Ludwig Tieck · nv Popular Tales and Romances of the Northern Nations, Vol. 1, ed. Anon., London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1823

314 · Night and Silence · Maurice Level · ss Pan Jan ’22; Weird Tales Feb ’32

321 · Flies · Isaac Asimov · ss F&SF Jun ’53

328 · The Night Wire · H. F. Arnold · ss Weird Tales Sep ’26

335 · Last Respects · Dick Baldwin · ss Brother Theodore’s Chamber of Horrors, ed. Marvin Kaye, Pinnacle, 1975

340 · The Pool of the Stone God [as by W. Fenimore] · A. Merritt · ss The American Weekly Sep 23 ’23

344 · A Tale of the Thirteenth Floor · Ogden Nash · pm F&SF Jul ’55

348 · The Tree · Dylan Thomas · ss Adventures in the Skin Trade, New Directions Publishing Corp., 1955

355 · Stroke of Mercy · Parke Godwin · ss Twilight Zone Sep ’81

374 · Lazarus · Leonid Andreyev · ss, 1906; Weird Tales Mar ’27

393 · The Waxwork [as by Ex-Private X] · A. M. Burrage · ss Someone in the Room, Jarrolds, 1931

404 · The Silent Couple · Pierre Courtois; trans. by Faith Lancereau & Marvin Kaye · ss Le Figaro Illustre, 1826

408 · Moon-Face · Jack London · ss The Argonaut Jul 21 ’02

413 · Death in the School-Room (A Fact) · Walt Whitman · ss, 1841

419 · The Upturned Face · Stephen Crane · ss Ainslee’s Mar 5 ’00

423 · One Summer Night · Ambrose Bierce · vi Cosmopolitan Mar ’06

425 · The Easter Egg · H. H. Munro · ss The Complete Short Stories of Saki, Viking Press, 1930

429 · The House in Goblin Wood [as by Carter Dickson; Sir Henry Merrivale] · John Dickson Carr · nv EQMM Nov ’47

448 · The Vengeance of Nitocris [as by Thomas Lanier Williams] · Tennessee Williams · ss Weird Tales Aug ’28

459 · The Informal Execution of Soupbone Pew · Damon Runyon · ss Adventure Mar ’11

472 · His Unconquerable Enemy [“The Rajah’s Nemesis”] · W. C. Morrow · ss The Argonaut Mar 11, 1889; Weird Tales Aug ’29

481 · Rizpah · Alfred Tennyson, Lord · pm

486 · The Question [“The Question My Son Asked”] · Stanley Ellin · ss EQMM Nov ’62

497 · The Flayed Hand · Guy de Maupassant · ss, 1875

502 · The Hospice · Robert Aickman · nv Cold Hand in Mine, Scribner’s, 1975

533 · The Christmas Banquet · Nathaniel Hawthorne · ss United States Magazine and Democratic Review Dec, 1843

549 · The Hungry House · Robert Bloch · ss Imagination Apr ’51

566 · The Demon of the Gibbet · Fitz-James O’Brien · pm

568 · The Owl · Anatole Le Braz; trans. by Faith Lancereau · ss

575 · No. 252 rue M. Le Prince · Ralph Adams Cram · ss Black Spirits and White, Stone & Kimball: Chicago, 1895

588 · The Music of Erich Zann · H. P. Lovecraft · ss The National Amateur Mar ’22; Weird Tales May ’25

596 · Riddles in the Dark (Original Version) [Chapter 5 of The Hobbit] · J. R. R. Tolkien · ex London: Allen & Unwin, 1937

609 · Afterword: Is Terror a Dying Art? · Marvin Kaye · aw

615 · Miscellaneous Notes · Marvin Kaye · bi

619 · Selected Bibliography · Marvin Kaye · bi

If it is the book there are lots of second-hand copies of it from Amazon.co.uk (or .com if you're in the US). :)