Shopaholic & Baby by Sophie Kinsella

Weave

Title of book: Shopaholic & Baby

Name of author: Sophie Kinsella

ISBN Number: 0593053877

The blurb:

Becky's life is blooming! She's working at London's newest fashion store, The Look, house-hunting with husband Luke (her secret wish is a Shoe Room)...and she's pregnant! She couldn't be more overjoyed - especially since discovering that shopping cures morning sickness. Everything has got to be perfect for her baby: from the designer nursery...to the latest, coolest pram...to the celebrity, must-have obstetrician. But when the celebrity obstetrician turns out to be her husband Luke's glamorous, intellectual ex-girlfriend, Becky's perfect world starts to crumble. She's shopping for two...but are there three in her marriage?

What can I say?, I have read all of the shopaholic series now and the rest of Sophie Kinsella's books ('Can you keep a secret' and 'The Undomestic Goddess') and I have enjoyed them all, but 'Shopaholic and Baby' is the best by far.

Welcome to Becky Brandon's (nee Bloomwood) world, the unforgettable shopaholic who sees everything with a silver lining, you can not help but love Becky, she spends money professionally and has a reason behind every one of her purchases such as Christian Dior baby bottles, etc.

There is so many funny moments in this book

such as the part when Becky decides to scan her own stomach to see what the sex the baby is and is overjoyed to find out she is having a boy, only to be caught by the midwife and then told that she has actually been looking at her bladder!

:friends0:

As I said this is the best book of the shopaholic series, so read it as soon as you get the chance, you will not regret it.

Rating: 10/10

Well its just a bit of fun for me, the book, I didn't put a lot of thought into it but I know where you are coming from Icecream x

Good. I thought you might shout at me:hide: .

Goodness no Icecream, its not often I get annoyed, and I don't like shouting :friends0:

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up the first shopaholic book to take on holiday with me. Despite being recommended by a few people, what swung it for me was hearing Sophie Kinsella (real name Marion Wickham) being interviewed on Open Book on Radio 4 a couple of weeks ago. She seemed like a lovely lady, really funny and likeable!

• 1 year later...

All I can say on this series is: I decided to read it to see what all the fuss is about. I'm constantly asked, "Why do you read this genre if you don't like it?" Well you don't know whether or not you like individual books until you have read them, so I decided to do just that.

Becky Bloomwood is one of the least sympathetic characters I've ever read. She gets herself into trouble through her own selfishness and waits for a series of unlikely coincidences to get her out of it. It amazes me that people think she's funny - she's in her late 20s for goodness' sake! Is this any way for a grown woman to behave?

I know, I know, "It's only a book, they're only words." Not sure I'd be so dimissive of the medium I love most, but there you go. Each to their own.

I do like the chick lit genre when it's done well, but I resent the implication by Kinsella and others of her ilk that "There's a bit of Becky in all of us." Well no. I'm financially responsible and I don't act like I'm a stroppy teenager (most of the time). :lol:

I know plenty of people who read these books for entertainment but I just don't find Becky entertaining or funny. She's too selfish and unrealistic for that. If I knew her in real life I'd want to slap her.

But I wanted to have the freeness of speech of knowing what I was talking about, hence my reading of this series. I'll carry on reading the genre in the hopes of finding the few gems that must be out there, though, but lately I'm leaning much more towards YA, Urban Fantasy and Literary Fiction.

I haven't read that but it's on Mount TBR, as is Can You Keep a Secret?

I recommend that people read both good and bad books, which is why I have novels by an author I'm not keen on - that said I don't know whether or not I'd like TUG or CYKAS yet as I prefer to base my opinions on each individual book. Based on what I've read of Kinsella's work so far, though, I'm not hopeful.

They're quick reads but her characters usually infuriate me.

I'm nothing like Becky and never have been. Even if I were rich I don't think I'd be in the least interested in shopping (unless it was for books!) and I wouldn't know a Gucci from a Prada if it bit me on the nose.

I don't read them because I identify with the character in any way - I read them because they're complete escapism, and as I said, I don't tend to read this genre much now anyway.

I'm not sure why I feel the need to justify myself, but all of a sudden I feel like I'm either very thick or very shallow... :lol:

Good god no, that's not the impression I wanted to convey. I just imagine if Becky was real, would I like her? And the answer's no. You said you're nothing like Becky and I don't know anyone like her either.

I honestly don't know why these books get me so riled; I suppose it's because their popularity makes me wonder if we're descending deeper into a consumer society or pandering to the lowest common (shopping obsessed) denominator.

If I had that sort of money, I'd still hate shopping.

Except for books, natch.

Meet you in Borders. :lol:

Eek! I filled up my library card today, H&D - ten lovely new books to read, so I'm afraid Ms Kinsella will have to wait a while longer for my attentions. :lol:

Hmm.. sometimes I like the characters, sometimes not, but if I don't like them, there's generally something there I can identify with.Personally, for me, I need to have one or the other.

However, there's nothing wrong with reading a book simply for the enjoyment factor.. and different people find humour in different things.

prospero, I can understand trying a genre but if chick lit books get you so riled, I still have to ask why you continue? :lol:

A good question; I've found a few gems as I mentioned before and they tend to make the genre worth it, but perhaps I should avoid my 'hot button' authors in future! :lol: