Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished The Hunger Games. I didn't like it much, but then I don't think it was aimed at my age group :lol:

Shan't be rushing to read the second book :wink:

I have heard people rave about this series on here, but for some reason it has never interested me.

Just finished another very peculiar work by the highly original James Purdy, entitled I Am Elijah Thrush. The whole thing has a sort of dreamlike quality to it. I'm already struggling to recall much of it to mind. He was a very gifted writer and I was particularly taken with the dialogue in this novel. It's completely unlike anything written in the last century - more like something from several hundred years ago, and certainly preferable to the way we tend to speak in real life. Especially nowadays. It's all a bit warped but I'd recommend anything of Purdy's to a reader seeking something a little offbeat.

...and have started The Quickening Maze for my reading group.

Ooh, I hope you enjoy it. I thought it was great... and the cover of mine was very tactile - I couldn't stop touching it. :blush:

I've nearly finished Wyndham's The Midwich Cuckoos - about 50 pages to go.

Finished The Hunger Games. I didn't like it much, but then I don't think it was aimed at my age group :lol:

Shan't be rushing to read the second book :wink:

Aw, that's a shame. But there are plenty of us adults (young at heart?) who love the series!

I bought a few more Vintage books today.

went to a library booksale today....came away with some great bargains

All of these were just 25 cents each:

Alias Grace-Margaret Atwood

The Bluest Eye-Toni Morrison

Daughter of Fortune-Isabel Allende

Neither Here nor There-Bill Bryson

I Am David-Anne Holm

A Walk in the Woods-Bill Bryson

As Nature Made Him: The Boy Who Was Raised as a Girl-John Colapinto

Emma_Jane Austen

These were 2 bucks each:

Nickel and Dimed: On(not)getting by in America-Barbara Ehrenreich

The House at Riverton-Kate Morton

The Redbreast-Jo Nesbo

Half Broke Horses-Jeannette Walls

Mennonite in a Black Dress-Rhoda Janzen

A very late comment, but can't help it: A great haul! Emma and The Bluest Eye are fine reads, and I'm jealous of the Bill Bryson titles you acquired! :) Enjoy!

About half way through A Handful of Dust and I may finish it tonight if I get the time.

Also bought 5 other books from my local Oxfam:

Dead In The Family - Charlaine Harris

Fanny Hill: Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure - John Cleland

Perdita: The Life of Mary Robinson - Paula Byrne

Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy

The Suspicions of Mr Whicher - Kate Summerscale

Great haul Abcinthia! Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse series is excellent! And I also have the Whicher book as well as the Fanny Hill book on my TBR, I hope they're good. Can't wait to hear what you think of them! :)

I'm currently reading a biography of Hitler, it's written by a Finnish author, and it's written in a sort of a parodic, black humour style. I'm quite embarrassed to read it each day and learn how much I've forgotten about all the history lessons back in high school :rolleyes:

I'm quite embarrassed to read it each day and learn how much I've forgotten about all the history lessons back in high school :rolleyes:

But at least you're re-learning it now!

I received Haruki Murakami's 1Q84 in the mail today. Exciting times!

But at least you're re-learning it now!

No I'm not, it's way too detail-oriented, date-focused and my head is spinning from all the German names and places and different political groups etc :D

The one thing I have learnt is that apparently Hitler was a mean farter.

No I'm not, it's way too detail-oriented, date-focused and my head is spinning from all the German names and places and different political groups etc :D

giggle.gif Frankie!

Indeed. :smile2:

How apt. :giggle2:

How apt. :giggle2:

:D

Wasn't he a vegetarian? Maybe too many bean based meals. :giggle2:

:D Actually, it's been said in the book that he wasn't exactly entirely vegetarian, but for some reason he's been portrayed that way. It was some pages ago, can't remember exactly how it went, should look it up. Beans, onions... farty party! :lol:

Busy is not the word for it. But I have been reading a few books. I don't have time to put them up here right now but they are on my blog.

I've read the new Karin Slaughter and I was pretty disspaointed.

Read the book Twelve by Jasper Kent. ot as good as I had hoped.

Reading Crippen by the guy who wrote the boy with the stripedPajamas. This is going really well and reading for the Transworld book club.

:b7ydance: I've finally managed to read a whole book!!!!!

My mojo completely abandoned me and since June I haven't picked a book up :7_mad: but due to hanging around hospitals the last few days I took my kindle and decided to read some of the samples, but I also started, and finished, Touched By Angels by Peggy Webb and really enjoyed it, very predictable but easy to read a relatively short.

Single mom Sarah Love is determined to make a fresh start in Alabama for herself and Jenny. Born special, Jenny struggles to do the things other four-year-olds take for granted. Sarah hadn't counted on Jenny escaping her vigilance and racing in front of Jake Townsend's motorcycle. And she certainly hadn't counted on falling for the sexy, complex daredevil who nearly wrecked his bike to save her child. Nor had Jake, who had lost his own child, expected to find himself drawn into the lives of a courageous mother and her stubborn, endearing daughter. Could Sarah and Jenny be his second chance? Could he be the hero Sarah and Jenny believe him to be?

Hope I can keep this up and read another book before weekend :tease:

A very late comment, but can't help it: A great haul! Emma and The Bluest Eye are fine reads, and I'm jealous of the Bill Bryson titles you acquired! :) Enjoy!

I'm looking forward to reading him....be my first experience :D

I was in Smiths and Michelle Paver's Dark Matter caught my eye, as it had the 'review of the week' on the Richard & Judy Book Club stand, so I bought it, although I did check it wasn't one of her kids' books beforehand (after my mistake with The Hunger Games). Very intrigued by this book, so it may go straight to the top of my TBR pile :)