Newbie - Richard from Sheffield.

RichardB

Hello everyone.

I thought I would introduce myself being as I'm new here. I'm Richard, 24 and from South Yorkshire in England. I hope it'll be fun to start posting here – this forum is really great.

I've joined here because I don't know anyone to discuss books with (well, any further than a few sparse conversations at work or down the pub!) and while I am in the queue for my central library reading group it will probably take forever, that is, if I understand anything about the cuts the silly ConDems have made to local services. - Which, admittedly... I don't!

I'm one of those 'commuter readers' – driven to books about 2 years ago after growing sick of the free Metro paper! Recently I've brought a Kindle – and its absolutely ideal for travel and reading at home too, so I shall be forever jealous of all of you with big collections of _actual books_ as I will never have a library wall when I’m old! - Although, probably in 20 years there will be an App. for that. :)

Currently, I am reading 'Easily Amused' by Karen McQuestion, which is very much a chick lit book overall, I am enjoying it and it makes a change. Still a couple of bus journeys to finish that yet though. Before that, I finished 'The Blasphemer' by Nigel Farndale after seeing it on Richard and Judy's reading list. This was OK – but - I found myself only able to enjoy reading the 'flashbacks,' the rest just seemed a little... shallow. My favourite book so far this year has been a crime book – so you might see me in the crime and mystery forum a bit. This was 'The Whaleboat House' by Mark Mills.

My favourite book is 'The unbearable lightness of being' - Milan Kundera, closely followed by 'Troubles' – J.G. Farrell. A good fiction novel really is my cup of tea and I find myself to be influenced a lot by other people's recommendations to find those hidden gems. - Which is why I’m here!

Right, well, I’m going make a cup of tea, then have a browse around the forums. Nice to meet you all.

Regards,

Rich.

Nice to meet you Rich and :welcomebcf: ..looking forward to seeing you around and finding out more about the books you're reading. The Milan Kundera one is waiting on my shelf so it's encouraging to know that it's a great read.

:D Hi Rich - Hope you're enjoying your experiences on this forum.

Yes, a book (Kindle or traditional) can make a journey a bit more fun, can't it? Pretty good for w-a-I-t-I-n-g rooms, too.

Sounds like you're a :readingtwo: after my own heart - liking a bit of variety in your novels.

One of these days I'll get a Kindle too, but I'll never give up my old favourite books in traditional style - an emotional attachment develops!

Why not dabble into both forms? You can buy a few "keepers" in paper form (and start your own small "library" of favourites) and use your Kindle for read-and-move-on ones?

You're gonna find lots of recommendations here - enjoy them. :D

Edited by Booknutt

Hi all, Lovely to have such a great response, thanks for being so welcoming :)

Hey there and welcome to BCF, Richard! :D

Do you have any favorite authors or genres?

Good question.

I don't have any favourite authors per-se as, I don't really go back to the same author after I've read one. To me, there’s such a big variety, and so many things to try. I just pick something new every time. I was reading about the Waterstones sale from HMV and I agree with some of the people talking about it there - half the fun of a bookshop is the selection. - Especially when people take the time to write those hand written notes.

For my likes (this year): The genres have to be novels, mystery, chic lit and sometimes even the supernatural (bit of a hit and miss with this though – if it strays into fantasy, for me its a big no-no).

• Favourite fiction: The White Tiger – Aravand Adiga. (It took me too long to get around to reading this! - definitely worthy of winning the Man Booker prize.)
  • Favourite mystery: As mentioned above, and I think also The Curious Incident of the Dead Dog in the Night Time – Mark Haddon needs an honourable mention. One of my friends is Dyspraxic(sp?) and she tells me that if anyone asks her what it is like to have that, she tells them to read that book. I now like to think that I understand a little more why sometimes - inexplicably - she will punch someone on the shoulder, for no good reason! Haha.
  • Favourite chic lit: We are all made of Glue. - A Sheffield author (I think). More of a comedy than a chic lit, but I think quite well placed here.
  • Favourite supernatural: The Angel's Game - Carlos Zafron.

• A Special mention: Purple Hibiscus – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, it's uncomfortable at times, but a really great glimpse into another world. I do intend to get in the habit of writing short reviews for the things I read – but I often lack motivation after eight hours of work, and as a rule of thumb I generally lack being awake at the weekends.

For my dislikes: While, it's rare I really can't finish a book or even dislike it – it does happen – I have a rule for not liking books and that is I must have tried it first. I'm not going to be told what to dislike because its 'cool' not to. That said, I personally can't read anything by David Mitchell. I just can't keep up with the man's imagination and it gives me a headache! I have also read two Dan Brown books, and vowed never to bother with such drivel again.

Finally - ever since I was a wee teenager, I couldn't stand Harry Potter. In fact, I remember going to some book awards in Sheffield at the Crucible Theatre. There were hundreds of kids swarming J.K. Rowling. Then there was me, the only person in the queue to meet the two or three authors I actually enjoyed. I met Michael Palin there though (he hosted it) and he was kind enough to sign a £10 note, as I had lost my scrap of paper I had for autographs. This takes pride of place next to the only other autograph I have ever managed to accumulate in my short existence, that of …wait for it... Paul and Barry Chuckle!

To you!

To me!

Hello Richard and welcome to the forum! :D

What the fudge, you have to queue for a reading group?!

Yes, I've been fifth in the queue since the start of this month. Sheffield is pretty good for libraries, but I know with my work, its been hit quite hard with different cuts and things. We like to queue in England. Ever since Labour got to power in the Sheffield local elections the queues at the food section during lunch time in Marks and Spenser’s have trebled – I tell you - things aren't pretty at the moment!

Bloody Labour!

:D Hi Rich - Hope you're enjoying your experiences on this forum.

Yes, a book (Kindle or traditional) can make a journey a bit more fun, can't it? Pretty good for w-a-I-t-I-n-g rooms, too.

Sounds like you're a :readingtwo: after my own heart - liking a bit of variety in your novels.

One of these days I'll get a Kindle too, but I'll never give up my old favourite books in traditional style - an emotional attachment develops!

Why not dabble into both forms? You can buy a few "keepers" in paper form (and start your own small "library" of favourites) and use your Kindle for read-and-move-on ones?

You're gonna find lots of recommendations here - enjoy them. :D

I love my kindle, its really great. People often talk to me on the bus to ask me about it. Last week, a nurse came up to me while I was reading at the bus stop to ask me questions. So I let her have a play with it while the bus came. (I'm too trusting).

That's a good idea about picking the 'keepers', I may consider this expense, but not until after my holiday in June. - I shall be taking with me, amongst others, your reading circle list for June to keep me entertained.

Anyway, I'm off to try and get through a few chapters of this Easily Amused before the Mentalist comes on Television. Hopefully I will have it finished by Monday so I can start the next thing on my list.

Have a good evening.

Rich.

Would you be interested in adding a few of our "classic" authors to your "to be read list" Rich?

Types like Charles Dickens, Thomas Hardy, George Eliot, W. M. Thackery?(often found in Kindle versions for very little cost, or even free of charge entirely)

They can present a different kind of "read" as the old-style presentation of the authors makes for additional interest ... and often increases the word-power, too.(Very useful for Scrabble or crosswords :D )

Thomas Hardy in particular stretched me - I took ages reading "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" as a younger Nutt, but it was well worth the trouble - it's such a beautifully descriptive "read" and even the demise of Tess herself at the end doesn't detract from the message of hope (and rebirth/renewal) Hardy also brought to the story.

Just a thought. :)