Experimental book?

Was talking to one of the staff in Waterstones about a month ago and he said that he had read a book which was an "experimental book".

I think it was called 21 leaves or something like that. Anyway it sounded quite interesting, apparently when you are reading the book you have to turn the book upside down to read certain pages. Does anyone know what it is called and who the author is? He said it cost about £20.00 I think.

That brings to mind The Unfortunates by B S Johnson, which was another "experimental" book. Apparently you got the chapters loose, in a box, and apart from the first and last chapters, you could read them in any order you liked.

I never have done, by the way ....

^That sounds quite interesting, if not a bit frustrating. :giggle2:

I have House of Leaves, but had to give up after about a quarter of the way through. I found it impossible to keep track of the story, and the novelty of switching back and forth between pages soon wore off. Having said that, I do plan on giving it another go at some point but I think I'll need to read something else at the same time to fall back on.

I gave up on House of Leaves, as Bobbly bear says it gets very annoying having to turn the book around all the time, I shelved it intending to go back to it later & gave it to the charity shop in the end.

I am yet another one who gave up on House of Leaves.

For me, it was all gimmick and very little substance.

I sold my copy but I would be interested in hearing the thoughts of someone who could get through it. Perhaps there was something in there worth the headache. :)

Edited by Pixie

Gosh, this doesn't bode well. I have House of Leaves on my TBR pile. :(

That's what I was thinking too. It's on my wishlist. But I'm going to give it a go anyways.

Well, if either one of you or both do get through it, I would love to hear your thoughts. :)