Hey...From the USA

CJ Schneider

I would like to introduce myself.

My name is CJ Schneider and I live in Austin, Texas.

I am originally from Corpus Christi, Texas.

I am currently writing a book entitled Palm of the Laguna (fiction).

I specifically need your help in the area of writing in English. Early Modern English to be exact.

If anyone on the globe can help me, it’s you.

If you see a post from me asking: Does this make sense? Then I need your help.

My writing revolves around a 1500’s girl from Cornwall.

I hope to hear from you in the future.

Sincerely, CJS

Welcome CJ

Will this be your first book that you are writing ?

Yes, this is my first book. It's approximately 26 chapters.

While my viewers understand it and love it, it appears no one can edit it.

Early Modern English isn't easy for Americans to digest.

So I bring myself to your part of the world. To the best of the best...

welcome CJ :D

Hi there. Thank you for having me.

'lo!

You might find that being from Cornwall in the 1500's that your character would have been more likely to speak Cornish, rather than English, though I'm not sure!

Raven. Very good point. My research strongly supports your claim. I do hope readers will be forgiving and accept my character’s use of Early Modern English. I certainly don’t want to butt heads with the scholars.

Here is an example of her words:

And the liege parted and a titan came forward. He standeth at five cubits and his breadth wast twofold of man. He said unto me, “I am the first unto her Lorde Marius, ruler of her armies. I fear thy journey hath been in vain for her very Lorde hast not returned for seasons. I pray thy wrath be not upon this liege for we have no difference with thee.”

I said to him, “In her place, I will take to me which is most cherished by the Lamia. Leadeth me to her den and I will believe thou hast no difference with me.”

He drew his sword and said, “Why saith such things? Thou wilt surely have me killed.”

I drew my sword. I said to him, “If thy liege be unto Lamia, thou wilt perish by my hand alone.”

He said to me, “Thy wrath hath come upon Agram and thine own God didst show himself. But I say unto thee: Shew unto me thou art the true prophetess, the mighty Sibelle of Mylbroke and letteth be thee which killeth me. Should I perish; I go with honor. Unto thy God: let him not strike me dead. Unto thee: I fancy a good fight, but ye are a little girl, small in stature and beareth the sword and no armor. I taketh no pride in such; therefore I will kill thee quickly.”

He arched his sword and his head fell unto my feet for I hath slain him at God speed.

Unfortunately, when I post her words, I have to remove the Old English font since it won’t display in the forum. Plus, I have to put quotation marks back in. Anyone interested may visit my link to view the writing in its original context.

http://www.cjschneider.com/Text_Files%25/The%20Broken%20Covenant.pdf

But this leads to the purpose of me visiting this forum. It is in this context which I need the help of all those of the UK. What would you change about any part of it? Any valid input from your part of the world would be greatly appreciated.

Americans can understand it but no one can edit it.

Please accept it in this context and critique it in this context.

Right now, I just need a little help.

Thanks…CJS

Hello. Thank you. Since, I'm here...This time zone thing keeps throwing me off.

Everythig I write is 6 hours ahead of me. Wow.

Welcome to the forum, CJ. You can change the clock settings by going to Settings (click your name at the top of the page and select My Settings). There's a drop-down menu to select your own time zone. I hope this helps! And good luck with your book. :)

The sample above makes it sound like a fantasy novel, is that the case?

And what is the context? Is this being told from an historical point of view (someone has found a long lost account of something that happened alá The Name of the Rose) or is this a novel set in the 1500s?

Can I please point out that this is actually a forum for readers to discuss books, rather than somewhere to go for language assistance, editing etc. There are some very helpful people here, but we're first and foremost a community to discuss books.

With that in mind, maybe you can tell us a little more about yourself and your reading.. do you have a favourite author / genre?

The sample above makes it sound like a fantasy novel, is that the case?

And what is the context? Is this being told from an historical point of view (someone has found a long lost account of something that happened alá The Name of the Rose) or is this a novel set in the 1500s?

I want to thank you for your correspondence and truly appreciate your assistance. But Michelle has notified me of my violation. I want to thank you and all posters thus far for your kind words and well-wishes. I will take my leave now.