Techniques While Looking Through Used Books

What are techniques when looking through books at a used book store? I find that I have to be in a specific mood and have a lot of time if I want to look through mass quantities of books. Sometimes I will go back and look at a shelf I already looked at and find a book I've been looking for - but I didn't see it the first time. It makes me wonder how many good books I'm missing.

I just go for a head tilt and take in as many titles and authors that I can with the time I have. As far as missing books, I try to remain philosophical and believe that I will find 'that' book when I'm meant to. :lol:

Sometimes I will go back and look at a shelf I already looked at and find a book I've been looking for - but I didn't see it the first time. It makes me wonder how many good books I'm missing.

I have this problem too. I used to think I was taking in everything; then I went to a bookfair with Frankie one day and she kept finding all these great books at tables I had been looking at just minutes earlier!

As far as missing books, I try to remain philosophical and believe that I will find 'that' book when I'm meant to. :lol:

I like to tell myself this too, regardless of what I said above.

I don't really have a technique. I just look at anything and everything. :)

I just try and scan authors and titles to see if I can spot anything I have heard has been recommended or is by an author I like - however I do try and pick books I have never heard of and try not to read recommendations when I bring them home.

I love the second hand book shop near me there are loads of different rooms with comfy sofas in you can read a few pages and decide if you like the book before purchase and no one pesters you - I could happily spend a whole afternoon in there!

I just scan the shelves for anything that catches my eye sometimes I see books that have been recommended on here so I usually get those down for a look. I always feel a bit nervous if there are a few fellow bargain hunters scanning the shelves as well in case they snap something up before me :D

I find it irritating when they are not in alphabetical order, which a lot of them are not, and also they have to be in good condition. If I am looking for certain authors and they are normally big books over 600 pages, will just scan the books on the shelves to see if the books are thick and then have a look at the authors.

I miss many books too when I walk by tables and shelves. Sometimes I take more time and slowly read each book title or author, but often I quickly go through the books, missing some and reading others. There are so many great books, missing one will still mean finding another which is worth reading too.