Jenny's book list 2011

Hyzenthlay

Hey all,

First off, a disclaimer. I've looked through a few of the topics here, and I know by now that you people read. A lot. A lot a lot. And first I didn't really want to make a book list, because, well, I can't compete. But then I thought I was missing the point. So here is my list, humble as though it may be.

2011:

Vigil by Cecilia Samartin

Surface Detail by Iain M. Banks

The five people you meet in heaven by Mitch Albom

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (only a re-read)

Currently reading: A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin (also a re-read)

Book I'm most excited for: The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (ordered on amazon!)

So. I read Vigil because my mum recommended it, and as expected it was moving and felt very real. She knows how to play heartstrings, that Cecilia Samartin. Surface Detail was great, but not Banks's most impressive work. The five people you meet in heaven moved me to tears in a public place, and is my favourite so far. "Perks" is always good.

It's not a competition! I'm happy you got over your initial 'fears' of starting up a reading blog and just went for it. I promise you won't regret it, it's a nice way to keep score of what you've read, and write reviews and just discuss anything bookswise. And because it's your own thread you can go off-topic as well :giggle:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a great book, one that can certainly be read time and a time again :)

Ah, but it's quality, not quantity, that counts. :) (Oh, doh, I just realised everyone else has said that as well.)

I really loved Perks as well, and it's very high on my list of books to be re-read. I hope you'll enjoy The Eyre Affair. I found that the series just gets better and better as it goes along.

Jenny I have only read 8 books this year so no worries about how many...enjoy what you read is more satisfying than trying to beat someone else total....:giggle2:

Thanks for the encouragement! :) Because of it, I shall update.

Though I'm afraid there isn't much to report.

I didn't get a chance to read all day yesterday, because my Canadian friend Bryan was leaving. So, being the gracious host that I am, I drove him 14km to the airport. On the way back I stopped by my friend Ina's house in Sandvika, and we went to the movies and saw Water for Elephants.

Which I loved.

I have newfound respect for Robert Pattison, I thought he played the part very well. I also thought the film version was true to the novel, and it really pleased me (not to mention it made me cry like a blubbering baby).... I'd recommend this book/movie to anyone.

Today is my last day in Norway before I fly back to uni tomorrow. I plan on completing Clash of Kings by the end of tomorrow's flight, which will be simple, as I am nearly through. I'm going to have to pick another book up, most likely. Not quite sure which one yet, as my purchases are often controlled by selection, and selection is not always great.

Jenny I have only read 8 books this year so no worries about how many...enjoy what you read is more satisfying than trying to beat someone else total....:giggle2:

Totally agree !!! Good luck with your reading Jenny :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all you amazing people!

Since this is my topic and hasn't been touched in a while, I've decided to go on about some important things. Mainly me, and my reading. World-altering stuff really.

So, me. My bf and I have signed a contract for an apartment, paid the deposit and first month's rent, and we get the keys tomorrow! Or tuesday. At any rate, we get them soon. So big things are happening. I've already planned to buy a spice rack and a bonsai tree (because who doesn't love a nice bonsai tree?). Not to mention a big cozy tea cup! According to boyfriend, I can set up my own reading nook where I can put my chair and a lamp and a blanket. On limited space, that's priceless.

Other than that, I need to start focusing on studying again. I have two finals coming up in mid-June, one is clinical genetics (which is huge) and the other is radiology (which is less huge, but also important). So starting tomorrow there won't be much play-time for me. And my brain's been on such a nice vacation. :( But no matter. Be nice to have some real structure in my life again, I think.

Oh, and: I'm now a certified open water diver! 18m. Completed the course today so I thought it's worth mentioning.

So, books wise- I finished everything I was doing and had a small break. I finished clash of kings, too. I started listening to the Game of Thrones audio book a couple of days ago, and I'm going to complete all the Song of Ice and Fire novels before the fifth one comes out. They're really fun, well worth a re-read. The tv show also makes it so easy to place characters. The first time I read them through, I remember it being a mess of similar-sounding names. Not a problem anymore!

Hope everyone's all fine and dandy, and that you're enjoying life. I'm really happy I came on this forum actually... even if I don't always post, it's great reading what everyone has to say.

:)

So, me. My bf and I have signed a contract for an apartment, paid the deposit and first month's rent, and we get the keys tomorrow! Or tuesday. At any rate, we get them soon. So big things are happening. I've already planned to buy a spice rack and a bonsai tree (because who doesn't love a nice bonsai tree?). Not to mention a big cozy tea cup! According to boyfriend, I can set up my own reading nook where I can put my chair and a lamp and a blanket. On limited space, that's priceless.

Your bf sounds amazing, I love the sound of your reading nook .. a chair, a lamp, a cup of tea and a blanket! .. bliss .. all you need is a good book and perhaps the teeniest weeniest bar of chocolate :D I could be happy there for ages.

The very best of luck with your move Hyzenthlay .. exciting times for you.

I've decided to undertake...

The Book List Challenge!

(stolen from poppyshakes :)

Day 01 – Best book you read last year

Day 02 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times

Day 03 – Your favourite series

Day 04 – Favourite book of your favourite series

Day 05 – A book that makes you happy

Day 06 – A book that makes you sad

Day 07 – Most underrated book

Day 08 – Most overrated book

Day 09 – A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving

Day 10 – Favourite classic book

Day 11 – A book you hated

Day 12 – A book you used to love but don’t anymore

Day 13 – Your favourite writer

Day 14 – Favourite book of your favourite writer

Day 15 – Favourite male character

Day 16 – Favourite female character

Day 17 – Favourite quote from your favourite book

Day 18 – A book that disappointed you

Day 19 – Favourite book turned into a movie

Day 20 – Favourite romance book

Day 21 – Favourite book from your childhood

Day 22 – Favourite book you own

Day 23 – A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t

Day 24 – A book that you wish more people would’ve read

Day 25 – A character who you can relate to the most

Day 26 – A book that changed your opinion about something

Day 27 – The most surprising plot twist or ending

Day 28 – Favourite title

Day 29 – A book everyone hated but you liked

Day 30 – Your favourite book of all time

Tough one. It's hard when the books I read in 2009 cross over into 2010. Silly memory.

I think it might have been The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud.. I thought it was very witty, had good pace and language and great characters.

Tough one. It's hard when the books I read in 2009 cross over into 2010. Silly memory.

I think it might have been The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud.. I thought it was very witty, had good pace and language and great characters.

Great, great choice. I adored the Bartimaeus trilogy and have since convinced Kylie to give them a go so I'm glad to have another advocate for them :D I haven't read the prequel yet but the reviews for it look good.

Thank you thank you! I'm very excited for it :) The rest of my things are being moved there tomorrow!

Since I last updated I've finished A Game of Thrones, and I also read South of the border, west of the sun by Hakuri Murakami in one sitting. My opinion: depressing. The back cover said it was "full of truths", and that may be. But the book was chiefly about

this one guy who cheated on his wife

, which is a topic that I find very sad. Maybe there was some higher meaning I wasn't able to deduct. About human character or whatnot. Has anyone else read this?

Day 02 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times

Too many. I'm huge on re-reading. But there can only be one, so I'll pick....

The Secret History by Donna Tartt. A bit of a family favourite, and a book I've read many more times than 3! Captivating, a page turner; and the best part about it is that you

cheer for the bad guys so hard

. Which is great. :)

My next read is going to be another audio book: "A Feast for Crows" by George RR Martin. I'm trying to get through all of 'em before his new one is released in July.

Edited by Hyzenthlay

I also read South of the border, west of the sun by Hakuri Murakami in one sitting.

This is the only Murakami I've read to date. I enjoyed it, but yes, it's quite depressing. I think most of his books might be like that. I do recall finding some pearls of wisdom in his writing; at any rate, I enjoyed it enough that I've since bought quite a few of his other books.

Maybe someone else can recommend a less depressing Murakami for you if you're willing to give him another go.

'Kafka on the shore' by Haruki Murakami is not as depressing as his other books but there is good and bad in all of them but I like the story in 'Kafka on the shore', especially Mr Nakata Hyzenthlay. :)

Hey hey.

So I'm several chapters into "A feast for Crows" now. I'm thrilled to be re-reading the Song of Ice and Fire series - they are truly very good. I've discovered that George RR Martin is coming to a medieval festival 7 hours away from me- I might actually go see him. I might have to go alone. :( But I might go. I would love to meet him, and tell him how much I enjoy his books and the tv-series.

About the tv show though. I think it's very good, but I'm also sort of sad that I know everything that's going to happen. Right now it's working up towards a point

where Ned Stark dies, and I wish I didn't know. I'm grieving him already, while my boyfriend who watches with me is so full of hope. Damn him.

Day 03 – Your favourite series

It has to be Harry Potter. I have never fangirled over anything as much as I did over that series. I loved it so fiercely. I almost went to London for the release of the seventh book, but ended up settling for Oslo... speaking of the 7th book, it was fairly disappointing to me. I am, however, just now working my way back into it. But I will always love Harry and his universe, and considering I spent ten years of my childhood desperately reading and re-reading them, I can't say that this is anything but my favourite series.