David Foster Wallace

Hey all, I'm currently finishing Jennifer Egan's Goon Squad, which I thought I would enjoy more, but it wasn't a waste of time. I am thinking of starting David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest...I have not read anything by him. any tips? is it a god starting point. there's also the Pale King...

cheers

k

• 2 years later...

I was just about to create a topic about DFW, glad I found an existing one.

I was about a quarter of the way through Infinite Jest before I had to stop, then wasn't able to get back into it. It is a bit dense, especially with all the little references scattered throughout. However, I've heard it is worth the trek, so I am planning to get back into it.

You've probably noticed that Infinite Jest is often mentioned in those "Most Difficult Books" lists, so make sure you have the stamina to get through it. ;)

Personally, I would recommend beginning with his short story collection, such as A Brief Interview with Hideous Men. I'm not sure if I would describe his writing as eloquent, but he has a way of describing thoughts and feelings that you believe only you possessed. It's quite comforting reading some of his short stories.

I wonder if anyone else has read Infinite Jest? I need to get back into it, but I don't want to turn reading into a chore.