The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong

The Gathering is the next book in the Darkest Powers series by one of my favourite writers, Kelley Armstrong. Although it's the fourth book in the series, it's sort of a new beginning, as Armstrong introduces us to a new location and a whole new set of characters.

Synopsis (from kelleyarmstrong.com):

Maya lives in a small medical-research town on Vancouver Island. How small? You can’t find it on the map. It has less than two-hundred people, and her school has only sixty-eight students–for every grade from kindergarten to twelve.

Now, strange things are happening in this claustrophobic town, and Maya’s determined to get to the bottom of them. First, the captain of the swim team drowns mysteriously in the middle of a calm lake. A year later, mountain lions start appearing around Maya’s home, and they won’t go away. Her best friend, Daniel, starts experiencing “bad vibes” about certain people and things. It does’t help that the new bad boy in town, Rafe, has a dangerous secret…and he’s interested in one special part of Maya’s anatomy: Her paw-print birthmark.

Review:

The main character is Maya, an adopted Native American teenager, and the book opens with the death of Maya's best friend, Serena, who drowns in the calm waters of the local lake - strange considering she was captain of the swim team. When a reporter appears in town and starts asking questions, it starts a chain of events that cause Maya to question her friends and neighbours in her home town and the truth of her heritage.

I can't deny it, this was probably one of my most anticipated books of the year, and I loved it. There's something about Armstrong's storytelling that captivates and keeps you turning the pages desperately wanting to know what coming next. For fans who've read the previous books, there are clues in the writing that might lead you to draw some conclusions about what is happening, but they certainly wouldn't exclude a new reader coming to the series with no previous knowledge of the world the book is set in.

The book starts in a considered and almost sedate pace, which gradually picks up, leading to a tension filled, action packed, thrilling denouement. But, beware! The ending is sudden (especially if, like me, you're reading on a Kindle and haven't been keeping an eye on the % bar at the bottom of the screen and have no idea how close to the end you are) and finishes this installment on a huge cliff hanger leaving you desperate to want the next book to read right now, and knowing it's going to be at least another year before the story will continue!

For all Kelley Armstrong fans - you will not be disappointed; get this book as soon as you can!

I'm looking forward to this, but it's not a Darkest Powers book (Darkest Powers is a trilogy starring Chloe Saunders - the three books are The Sumoning, The Awakening and The Reckoning). It's a new series called Darkness Rising. Apparently it will be another YA trilogy. :)

I thought it was a new trilogy as well, Kell, but on Kelley's website, it shows it as part of the Darkest Powers series. I think it's meant to be linked, but can be read as a separate trilogy, without having to have read the three Chloe Saunders books. :)