June's books

Talisman

Below are the books that I have read this year:

January:

Norwegian Wood: Haruki Murakami (Japan)

The Long Haul: Alex Hibbert (Greenland)

February:

Independent People: Halldor Laxness (Iceland)

The Devils Star: Jo Nesbo (Norway)

March:

Round Ireland With a Fridge: Tony Hawks (Ireland)

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks: Rebecca Skloot (US)

Three Men in a Float: Dan Kieran and Ian Vince (England)

April:

The Twelfth Insight: James Redfield (US/Egypt)

Tiger Hills: Sarita Mandanna (India)

May:

Island of Wings: Karin Altenberg (Scotland)

The Gospel of the Second Coming: Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy (non fiction)

Jar City: Arnaldur Indridason (Iceland)

Girls of Riyadh: Rajaa Alsanea (Saudi Arabia)

June:

When God Was a Rabbit: Sarah Winman (England)

I Left My Tent in San Fransisco: Emma Kennedy (US)

July:

Silence of the Grave: Arnaldur Indridason (Iceland)

The Guardian Angel's Journal: Carolyn Jess-Cooke (US)

The Road to Wanting: Wendy Law-Yone (Burma)

Girl in Translation: Jean Kwok (Hong Kong/US)

August:

The Drowning People: Richard Mason (England)

Out Stealing Horses: Per Petterson (Norway)

Gods in Alabama: Joshilyn Jackson (US)

The Day is Dark: Yrsa Sigurdadottir (Iceland)

The Book of Lies: Mary Horlock (Guernsey)

September:

In the Country of Men: Matar Hisham (Libya)

Before I Go to Sleep: SJ Watson (England)

A Rural Affair: Catherine Alliott (England)

Throwaway: Heather Huffman (US)

Into the Darkest Corner: Elizabeth Haynes (England)

Between Shades of Grey: Ruta Sepetys (Lithuania/Russia)

The Kindest Thing: Cath Staincliffe (England)

October:

That Summer in Ischia: Penny Feeny (Italy

Below Stairs: Margaret Powell (England - non fiction)

The Checkout Girl: Tazeen Ahmad (England - non fiction)

Voices: Arnaldur Indridason(Iceland)

Rain Song: Alice J Wisler (US)

The Storm Before the Calm - Conversations with Humanity Book 1: Neale Donald Walsch (US - non fiction)

November:

Tiny Sunbirds Far Away: Christie Watson (Nigeria)

The Life of Pi: Yann Martel (India/Canada)

Five People You Meet in Heaven: Mitch Albom (US)

Please Look After Mother: Kyung-sook Shin (South Korea)

Dusk: Maureen Lee (England)

Strength in What Remains: Tracey Kidder (Burundi/US)

December

Married to Bhutan: Linda Leaming (Bhutan)

The Draining Lake: Arnaldur Indridarson (Iceland)

Arctic Chill: Arnaldur Indridarson (Iceland)

Ancestor Stones: Aminata Forna (Sierra Leone)

Almost Moon: Alice Seebold (US)

Edited by Talisman

How did you find The Twelfth Insight? I read the first three books quite a few years ago. I remember really liking the first one and struggling a bit more with the second two, but still liking them OK. I'm not sure that I will ever read The Twelfth Insight; I guess I feel like I've moved on a bit and I'm too cynical and jaded now.

I thought I would be to to be honest, but I have been surprised by it. A lot of it (most in fact) is stuff that I do already know, and the story is a bit 'American', but James had to use this format really in order to get his points across, because otherwise a lot of people just wouldn't understand the language let alone the concepts that he discusses.

• 3 weeks later...

I am about two thirds of the way through Tiger Hills now, and hope to complete it by the end of April. It took me a while to get into, but it seems to be an interesting story, and different from the usual love triangle in that in some ways, the most important part of the story is actually the children involved, and not just the adults. I am well on target to achieve my goal of reading books set in a minimum of 12 different countries, as this is the 8th (possibly 9th if you count the fact that The Twelfth Insight is set in two different countries). My next book I think though will be another British one - set in Britain that is but with a Swedish author -Island of Wings by Karin Altenberg.

Edited by Talisman

• 1 month later...

Girls of Riyadh by Rajaa Alsanea

Gamrah’s faith in her new husband is not exactly returned …

Sadeem is a little too willing to please her fiancé …

Michelle is half-American and the wrong class for her boyfriend’s family …

While Lamees works hard with little time for love.

The girls of Riyadh are young, attractive and living by Saudi Arabia’s strict cultural traditions. Well, not quite. In-between sneaking out behind their parents’ backs, dating, shopping, watching American TV and having fun, they’re still trying to be good little Muslim girls. That is, pleasing their families and their men.

But can you be a twenty-first century girl and a Saudi girl?

I finished Girls of Riyadh last night, and I can honestly say that it is one of the best, msot eye opening books that I have read for quite a while, that has definately changed my perception of what goes on 'beneath the veil' in the worlds only Islamic state, where there is no secular law, only religious.

Having worked for a company whsoe clients were all Saudi banks back in the early 90's, I had many conversations with our salesman, a regular visitor to Riyadh where the book is set, on the apparent contradictions and blatant hypocrisy in Saudi society, especially when it comes to women, which this book exposes in stark detail.

The book follows the lives of 4 Saudi women, all of whom are very different, but as it turns out, want the same thing - to marry the man of their dreams. How though do you do this, in a society where dating as we would know it is forbidden, and where most marriages are arranged, or at the very least, have to be 'vetted' by the grooms family?

The girls go about their quest in differnt ways and experience many trials and tribulations along the way. As with all good stories, all bar one end up happy and settled in the end, the rest I will leave you to find out for yourselves ...

• 4 weeks later...

I finished When God Was a Rabbit a few days ago, and although I found it a bit slow to get going, it was a book that I really enjoyed. A coming of age tale with a twist that explores love in all its different facets, husband and wife, sister and brother, best friends and even the love of hurting others, for this too is a form of love.

Edited by Talisman

• 2 months later...

I managed to get through five books last month, which is the most I have done for a while. My reading seems to be increasing a lot more of late, and I guess this is something to do with my changing work patterns, that and spending less time on Facebook playing silly games. I am sure it will increase even more now I have made the move from paper books to a Kindle as it so much easier to carry with you than heavy and bulky books.

Each book I read last month was though very different, yet each in their own way was the same, about people's difficulties and lives and the lies that they try to cover up. They may be set in different countries and translated from different languages, but the universal language in this regard remains the same - we all sometimes keep stum about things because we are afraid that if we tell the truth, people will no longer like us. I have been guilty of this myself on more than one occasion, so can certainly understand why someone would do this. In the end though, as most of the characters in these books found out, the truth will out, and we will either keep our friends or not - if we don't then they were not our friends to begin with. That is the lesson that most of these characters had to learn.

At the beginning of the year I set myself a quest (based on the amound of books read last year) to read books set in at least a dozen different cnountries, and if I include the one I have just started, I have already achieved this with another 4 months to go, so I suppose I had better up the ante and aim for another 6 countries on top of that.

The books I have read so far then have been set in: Japan, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Ireland, United Kingdom, United States, Egypt, India, Saudi Arabia, Burma and Libya. I am not sure where the next one will be set, but there are several African ones on my wishlist, so probably Nigeria or somewhere like that. Maybe I will look at that reading world the challenge that a few of us are doing, although I suspect that would take me several years ...

• 2 weeks later...

I finished reading Before I Go to Sleep yesterday, and all I can say is - wow ! I have read some good books this year, but this is by far the best, the best in fact since the Dragon Tattoo books last year.

After reading a few quite heavy books in a row, I have decided to go for something a bit ligher as my next read - I don't usually go for chicklit/romance type novels, but well, sometimes you have to try something different, so when I saw A Rural Affair by Catherine Alliot online and read the first few pages, I knew I had to get it. The idea of a woman fantasisiing about her husbands death is one thing, but the way in which it actually happens (hit on the head by the frozen contents of an airplane lavatory) had me in stitches. After the last few reads I reckon I need a good laugh.

Edited by Talisman

I'm pleased you enjoyed Girls of Riyadh by Rajaa Alsanea as it's on my Amazon Wish List earmarked for my World Challenge. I will go and see if the library has it so I can add it to my Wish List there too. :)

I will check out some of the others on your 'read' list too - I base my challenge on the country of the author's birth but hopefully some of them might fit the bill.

Absoutely Chesil, and glad you found my list helpful Janet - I should probably base mine on where the author was born as well, but just because someone was born somewhere doesn't mean they stay there, so basing it on where the book is set works for me just as well.

I thought it was brilliant actually, and will definately look out for other books by this author. I won't say too much as you haven't read it yet, but I liked the way that so much of it was very true to life - I have met characters like Margot in real life, and could imagine such things actually taking place. Even though it was fiction, somehow it didn't seem that far fetched. I also liked the way that she blends the light and the dark aspects, as that to me is also very true to life - you can't have the one after all without the other !

• 3 weeks later...

It's the first day of October tomorrow, and given the glorious weather we have experienced these last few days, that's very hard to believe.

September has been a great month in terms of reading, having managed to get through 7 books. That is the most I have ever managed in one month. As the year goes on, I seem to get through more and more of them.

The 7 titles I have read then this month are: In the Country of Men by Matar Hisham, Before I Go to Sleep by SJ Watson, A Rural Affair by Catherine Alliott, Throwaway by Heather Huffman, Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes, Between Shades of Grey by Ruta Sepetys and The Kindest Thing by Cath Staincliffe.

It was a pretty close call, but the best books by far were Before I Go to Sleep and Into the Darkest Corner. Both are dark thrillers, one about a woman who has lost her memory and one about a woman in an abusive relationship. Thw worst by far was Throwaway - this book lived up to its name in as much as it deserves to be thrown away, as it is such complete and utter tosh. I only got it because it was free, and I won't be making that mistake again - there was no way I would have paid for it. I am almost sorry to say that it was and is everything that gives self publishing such a bad name.

I have though read some great books written by authors (and set in) from many different places, so there have been far more highlights than lowlights. October starts off with a book set somewhere different again - That Summer in Ischia by Penny Feeny.

Edited by Talisman

• 1 month later...

We're into November already, which is hard to believe. I only managed 6 books last month, as the final one that I read - The Storm Before the Calm by Neale Donald Walsch, deserved to be read slowly, as befits the subject matter, as is indeed the case with all of Neale's works. This is a very topical book given the "corporate greed" (Occupy London etc) protests currently taking place and like Neale I sense that there are much greater changes to come. There is a very important message there that needs to be thoroughly digested, with much to ponder on. The book does not appear (as yet) to be available in the UK in paper edition, which would in many ways be preferable, but the message remains the same no matter which edition you read, and it is after all the message that matters.

I read an equal mix (3 each) of fiction and non fiction then last month, with the other non fiction titles being Below Stairs by Margaret Powell and The Checkout Girl by Tazeen Amhad. I discovered Below Stairs quite by accident, when one of the residents at the nursing home where I work left her copy in the lounge, and I picked it up to see what the book was about. It sounded so interesting that I donwloaded my own copy, which I read within 3 days. It is about life as a domestic servant during the early part of the 20th Century, which given my own occupation as a housekeeper in the afforementioned nursing home, was an interesting read. I am glad that things have changed!

In contrast, The Checkout Girl was about a job that I used to do, and reading it reminded me of all the reasons that I really had to leave. I know my current job has its moments, but it really is ten times better than that previous one!

Fiction wise, I also read 3 books - That Summer in Ischia by Penny Feeny (this was okay but took a while to get going), Voices by Indridur Arnarson (the best yet out of the books I have read by this author), and Rain Song by Alice J Wisler. This one was a bit 'American' my my taste to be honest, but nevertheless I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Out of the 3 books though, I would have to say that Voices was by far the best. I expect to be downloading the next installment in the series soon, but not before I have finished the 2 other books I have just downloaded ...

If anyone would like to read a more indepth 'review' of The Storm Before the Calm, it can be found on my blog www.thechrysalisbreaks.blogspot.com

Edited by Talisman

• 4 weeks later...

It's the last day of November today, and I have managed to get through another 6 books this month (technically 5 1/2 since I am halfway through one at the moment. I have been actively trying to read more unusual books this month from countries which are usually off the literary beaten track, and have managed 2 from Africa (Nigeria and Burundi) and one from South Korea, plus 3 books which are well and truly on the beaten track - including The Life of Pi. This was possibly one of the most thought provoking books I have ever read - and coming from me that means something. I found the references to the various religions that the teenage Pi explores most fascinating, and it left me wondering about the symbolism of his animal companions. I have been unable to ascertain (so far) if there is any meaning, but I am sure it is there somewhere!

The African books too have been interesting, and I definately plan to read a lot more from this continent. The 2 African books I have read are Tiny Sunbirds Far Away by Christie Watson and Strength in What Remains by Tracey Kidder - both very different books. The former tells the story of a young Nigerian girl whose parents split up, forcing her mother to move to the country with relatives in the troubled Niger Delta region, while the latter is a true story about a Burundian refugee who flles to the US after the massacre of his famaiy. I knew very little about this part of Africa, so it has been, and continues to be a real eye opener. Kidder, who is himself American, has written several other similar books, but sadly this is the only one available for Kindle. It was well worth the £11.48 that I spent on it. I wouldn't normally spend that much, but as I have also read some 99p books lately, I told myself that I could justify the cost, and I was right.

Books read this month then are as follows:

Tiny Sunbirds Far Away: Christie Watson

The Life of Pi: Yann Martel

Five People You Meet in Heaven: Mitch Albom

Please Look After Mother: Kyung-sook Shin

Dusk: Maureen Lee

Strength in What Remains: Tracey Kinder

The life of Pi sounds really good, I'm sure I've got a copy of it lying around somewhere but I've never read it. I will have to dig it out and add it to my pile of books to read before the year is out.

Me too, I've had a copy on my shelf for ages but always seem to choose other books over it even though I've heard a lot of people recommend it. I enjoyed Five People You Meet in Heaven & would definitely recommend Tuesdays With Morrie by the same author if you haven't already read it Talisman.

I had a look at the sample chapter which came with my copy of Five People, but it didn't seem like quite my cup of tea for some reason. I am not sure what I will read next, but my wish list seems to grow every time I log on, so I am sure I will find something !

• 1 month later...

Well 2011 wasn't a bad year for reading all told. For the first few months of the year, there seemed very little that I wanted to read at all, although the books I did get through where all very good ones. As the year progressed, and we got into the summer months, there seemed to be more different books that piqued my interest - the warm weather also played a part, as there is no greater pleasure (for me at least) than sitting outdoors with a good book, and living where I do, there is no shortage of places in which to do this. Unusually for me though, I only got through 3 books during my 2 week holiday to the Isle of Man - that may be partly because I spent so much time driving though ! I made up for it after I returned home, as the purchase of a Kindle at the end of August totally changed the way in which I read.

I suddenly found a whole new swathe of books that I would never have previously considered. Kindle is just so easy and convenient to use, that I find myself switching it on to read every time I have a few moments to spare - while I am waiting for the kettle to boil, during my tea breaks at work, or just sitting in the car with a cup of tea listening to the rain (also one of my favourite passtimes). Buying that one small device was one of the best things I ever did.

In total then I managed to get through some 48 books - this is a record for me, and I don't think I have ever read so much, not even as a teenager, when reading was about the only thing that kept me sane! It would be really difficult to pick out particular books as highlights, but the one that stands out more than any other has to be Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes. This was a first novel orignally concepted through Nanowrite, and is a dark thriller about a woman trapped in an abusive relationship with her boyfriend. I need say no more, as I am sure that many of you are already familiar with the book, and I wouldn't want to ruin it for those who aren't.

I have found myself reading a lot of this type of book lately, and a lot more crime fiction also. I have especially enjoyed the 'Erlendur' series by Icelandic author Arnaldur Indridason - I have read four out of seven of these now, and each one seems to get progressively better than the last. Maybe it is because I am so familiar with the country myself, and so can share the authors own insights into the Icelandic psyche, which I have to say is pretty unique. I love his descriptions too of the Icelandic landscape.

I have also found myself being drawn to and actively seeking out books from more unusual places, like Bhutan for instance, which is a small kingdom in the Himalayas, and Burundi in East Central Africa. I have read a few African novels this year and find that the authors have a totally diferent perspective on life, which has helped me to also understand my African colleagues at work a bit better. Perhaps this year I shall seek out some Eastern European literature and see if it has the same effect!

With this in mind, I have decided then that for this New Year I am going to attempt the Reading Round the World Book Challenge. I know this is a big one, and it will probably take several years, but those that know me will tell you that I have never done things by halves, and if you are doing to set yourself a challenge then you might as well aim high!

So I start the year with the same book that I ended last year on, and which I am currently about a third of the way through - a novel based on the authors experience of growing up in wartorn Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge (that's another country I can tick off from the list then) - When Broken Glass Floats by Chanrithy Him.

Edited by Talisman

Fascinating review June. I know what you mean about the Kindle transforming your reading - it's had the same effect on me. Really revitalised things, and reading all over the place at all sorts of odd times. And if for some reason I haven't got the Kindle with me (rare!), I've found myself using Kindle for Android on my phone!