S J Rozan

kurtz

This week I read 2 novels by this writer and both were great. Especially Winter and Night. Although I love American football, and this book is not very complimentary about high school football, I still loved the story. The main subjects besides football are high school bullies, school shootings, child abuse and domestic violence. I could not figure out the ending, and was completely surprised.

I have read two novels by this author too (Shanghai Moon and Stone Quarry) and really enjoyed both of them. There were twists in the stories I didn't expect, and I liked the characters, too. I definitely want to read more, but need to wait until I am allowing myself to buy some books again!

Hi Kurtz

Do you go to the used book shop near to the Suriwong Hotel in Chiang Mai? can't remember the name of the shop but it had quite a good selection. I feel for you though - I always had trouble finding good books when I lived out there. There was DK bookshop in Bangkok (sooo expensive) and we had a good library in the Embassy - those were the days before internet though. You'd probably do well to get a Kindle then you could download anything you wanted.

Hello Sue. I usually go to Gekko book store. Actually same guy who owns this owns 4 used bookshops in Chiang Mai. Two Gekko bookshops, Big Mango books and a new one whose name I forget but is around corner from Gekko bookshop. They are all in area of Thapae Gate. I do not really know what a kindle is, but I know it is something about books and internet. However probably no good for me. I run internet on cell phone and get 5 hours a month so I think would take too long to read books on internet.

Usually books only take a couple of minutes to download onto the Kindle, which is a hand-held device. My father and son both have them, and they do look good, although I still prefer a traditional book!

• 2 weeks later...

Finished reading Bitter Feast by SJ Rozan and it was good but I did not like it as much as the others I read. For one thing, there are some very rude feds in the story. I worked with plenty of feds and did not care for them much generally but one thing about them, they are all super polite, no matter what agency they are from. They are so polite it makes you sick, unlike the feds in this book. Also, they never really insult the locals,which they also do frequnetly in this novel. They are mostly condescending and patronizing, and basically think we were all corrupt morons, while the locals think the feds are all arrogant geeks.

• 3 weeks later...