Mill on the Floss

Katrina1968

Mill on the Floss, by George Eliot, is the required reading that I have for my Women Writers class. Has anyone read it? I'm actually enjoying it. Its a little tricky with the dialect but I'm really enjoying it. Or else I'm so glad to be done with Bronte and Browning!

Whats your take on the book?

Hmm - I can't say I enjoyed it overall. I had to read it for A Level when I was 18. Maybe I would enjoy it more if I'd read it now. But then I found it long and a bit dull - especially some of the descriptions. However, some bits were well written and enjoyable. The character of Maggie as a child for example. The storyline had flaws too, but I won't say more until you've finished it.

I love books set in provincial villages. You are right about the descriptions. I have found myself skimming anything that looks like another drawn out description of St . Oggs. I actually like the characters, the aunts and uncles, the parents. I don't know, Maggie really got on my nerves. She was just so obnoxious!

Ack. I was gifted this by a very close friend, and so far it remains untouched. I've been procrastinating since it arrived, so if you can give me a reason to cease procrastination and actually delve inside, Katrina (or anyone) I would be grateful.

Long time no see Vanwa!

Honestly, if your not into the provincial English village with its quirky inhabitants and the minutia of every blade of grass, flora and fauna, then it aint for you! I just completed book one and while I did enjoy it, I am hard pressed to give you a lot of specifics simply because there were TOO many!

I must admit I struggled with The Mill on the Floss; enjoyed Middlemarch more. I just wanted to knock Maggie and Tom's heads together and tell them to get over themselves.

It's based on Gainsborough in Lincolnshire (the Floss is the Trent) and I lived there for 4 years and was glad to move away! Maybe I'm biased.

Indeed it's been a while Katrina! Hope all is getting better than it was, per your Anxiety posts. Sorry to hear you've been having difficulties.

Provincial, classical, heavily descriptive and quirky are not qualities I dislike at all, I suppose MotF is just one I've never gotten around to. Mind you, I haven't read Middlemarch either. Both are on my lists on definite future reads, I just never have been able to consider myself far enough into that future yet to read them, if you see what I mean! Read MotF quickly won't you, and then give me a nudge towards reading it when you find its pros :)

Thanks Vanwa, things are looking pretty good. Life is hectic, yet calm. I'm busy but its a good busy and most avoidable drama is being avoided which has reduced my anxiety and stress level tremendously.

I'm almost finished with book two and while its good, I don't see me reading it again. Truly, once IS enough!

Books, you know, your not the first person I've heard to say that. One of my class mates stated the same thing yesterday. They are overly sure of themselves but immensley dense.