Do many of your friends or family read?

Habeebi

Both my parents love to read, but I was the only kid in my family who read. But by the time my brothers were in college, they both caught the reading bug, especially my older brother who now loves to talk with me about what books he's reading. We're always loaning each other books and we have a lot of favorite authors in common. I'm so happy that he loves to read now, because he was the total opposite when he was younger.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It's nice to have a family member to share books with. Sometimes my daughter reads my books and sometimes I read hers. She's read my childhood books. I enjoy that most I think, to compare opinions I had around her age of those same books and share the experience of having read those books. I like to read children's books every now and then. Some of them are written well enough to be enjoyed by adults.

Neither of my parents read (other than magazines) but me and my sister are both keen readers. My Mum did read to me when I was a child but not that often. I didn't really start reading for pleasure until after I left school.

My sister belongs to a couple of book clubs and often "borrows" my books for that if I have the books they are doing whcih I quite often do and then when I ask for them back she tells me that I probably wont like them but she did so she may as well keep them :o

Most of my friends and work colleagues are only occasional readers or don't read at all so don't often get to chat books in real life which is why this place is such a blessing :hug:

My dad isn't a reader, but my mum, sister and nan are - not as avid as me, but they do read.

To my great delight, one of my best friends has been bitten by the bug and we chat about books often now - Shes half way through the House of Night Series at the moment!

A couple of my uni mates are readers too.

Just had to pop in to share this! My boyfriend has never been a big reader really, in the four years I've known him I've known him to read about 6 books! But I think he may have caught the reading bug from me, as in the last week he has brought three books and is halway through the second one already :D yay :D

My sister is starting to read more, she just borrowed from me, 'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro & 'Hey Ho Let's Go: The Story of the Ramones' by Everett True from my husband. :)

:D My son wasn't much of a reader either. It was always my daugher and me. Sometimes my son would read a book, but mostly he enjoyed comics which is better than nothing. Now he's starting to read more real books too.

I have the habbit of reading the Sil, the Hobbit and LOTR to my children each year apart from other books I read to them. Right now we're nearing the end of The Hobbit. I have the English versions of the books, so when I read them to my children, I always translate them to Dutch while reading. Out of nowhere my son asked if The Hobbit was available in Dutch so he could always read it himself too instead of having to wait each year for me to read it to him and my daughter. I was so happy he was requesting for a book without me having to encourage him, next day I immediately bought it for him. Though I'm still finishing reading The Hobbit to my children, my son has began reading his Dutch translation by himself from the beginning. He loves the stories in the Sil too, so I'll be surprising him with that for his birthday I think. I'm hoping this will be the start of his reading more other books too. :)

I had grown up in a house full of books, and my siblings and I always read as children.

My brother & I send each other books quite often, and are constantly recommending them to each other. My Mum started to take an interest in my books of late, I think she felt in need of a different kind of read from her usual historical fiction, and wasn't sure where to look. I passed on a few young adult books I thought she would enjoy (Cassandra Clare, Phillip Pullman, Angie Sage & Suzanne Collins), and she has loved them. Subsequently one of my sisters has taken an interest so Mum has been passing all these books on to her when she is done. My Dad reads a few books a year, and I have 'accidentally' left books at their house that I think he might enjoy.

I can't imagine a life without books, and I think a lot of non-readers are just don't-know-what-to-readers, and I can thoroughly understand why accessible books such as Dan Brown's become such big hits.

I have always been the biggest reader in my family my sister reads sporadically usually some fantasy novels that I have read before her aqnd recommend, my brother reads more now that he has to travel a lot. My mum reads a fair amount but is quite slow (English is not her first language so thats understandable she learnt it as an adult) she also tries to get books in Spanish but they do cost a fortune. My dad always read but went through a phase as he got older of not reading anything other than magazines until I bought him a kindle for Christmas now he is rarely off it and insists on telling me what percentage of the book he is through every time I see him :rolleyes:

That's wonderful news, Laura and Weave. We're all slowly but surely working away at our loved ones. :wink:

Very much so Kylie, I don't think my sister is enjoying 'Never Let Me Go' because its so sad but she is enjoying The Ramones book, I keep getting amazing facts about The Ramones from her :giggle:

Edited by Weave

I don't know where my love of reading came from, I love picking up a new book and seeing where it takes me, I don't just read fiction, I love biographies, gardening, cooking and true crimes.

I don't know where my love of reading came from, I love picking up a new book and seeing where it takes me, I don't just read fiction, I love biographies, gardening, cooking and true crimes.

Good times shirley! :)

I HAVE HAD A BREAK THROUGH!

Finally got my mate to read a book! He's on hol this week and complained that he gets sick of listening to the same tunes on his ipod all the time so I suggested he take some books. He said he would take it but wouldn't promise anything and I certainly doubted he'd even remember to take it with him.

Lo and behold I got a text from him today saying 'Bill Bryson is a very funny man' Yipeeee! :D

• 2 months later...

I HAVE HAD A BREAK THROUGH!

Lo and behold I got a text from him today saying 'Bill Bryson is a very funny man' Yipeeee! :D

Well done you. Its true Bill Bryson is a very funny man.

My sister reads and a couple of my friends but I think that's it. Perhaps I too should start handing out some Bill Bryson's to those who don't.

My niece reads a lot, but otherwise, that's it. You know what sucks about being stuck in a family of non-readers? They NEVER get you books or anything like that as gifts....I mean HELLO...I am not difficult to shop for...a nice little gift card to borders or amazon would be perfect. But do I ever get one? nope :rolleyes:

My niece reads a lot, but otherwise, that's it. You know what sucks about being stuck in a family of non-readers? They NEVER get you books or anything like that as gifts....I mean HELLO...I am not difficult to shop for...a nice little gift card to borders or amazon would be perfect. But do I ever get one? nope :rolleyes:

I find it helps if you give them a list of books to choose from. I know my mum for one just takes the list into a bookshop and hands it over to the sales assistant and stands and waits for them to go and get book/s for her. I know some friends like to do their shopping online as much as possible so a few suggestions to them and they can just pop something in their basket.

I find it helps if you give them a list of books to choose from. I know my mum for one just takes the list into a bookshop and hands it over to the sales assistant and stands and waits for them to go and get book/s for her. I know some friends like to do their shopping online as much as possible so a few suggestions to them and they can just pop something in their basket.

But they are family! They should know by now! Besides, I don't really need specific titles, I like to be able to browse myself...though I did do that with my daughter when she was younger....I gave her a short list, marched her up to the Barnes and Noble lady and asked her if she would help my daughter find one or two on the list....the surprise for me later would be which ones she chose (or had in stock for that matter ) :giggle2:

When I was growing up, both of my parents read all the time, and encouraged me to do so too. I'm certain this is where I got my love of reading from, in my house we rarely watched TV and books were just what I would turn to when I was bored!

My boyfriend's parents didn't read at all, and because he just wasn't around books he never really developed an interest in them. He only read Shakespeare at school so has been scared away from reading ever since! He has only really just started to pick up a book every now and again but he really struggles with concentrating. It's a shame because I read so many books I know he'd enjoy but he just isn't interested!

Not many of my friends read either. One or two will read the Twilight/Harry Potter books but not much else!