Guilty Pleasures - Laurell K Hamilton

Wraith*

anita1.jpg

First Published: 1995

ISBN: 0425197549

Anita Blake may be small and young, but vampires call her the Executioner. Anita is a necromancer and vampire hunter in a time when vampires are protected by law--as long as they don't get too nasty. Now someone's killing innocent vampires and Anita agrees--with a bit of vampiric arm-twisting--to help figure out who and why.

Trust is a luxury Anita can't afford when her allies aren't human. The city's most powerful vampire, Nikolaos, is 1,000 years old and looks like a 10-year-old girl. The second most powerful vampire, Jean-Claude, is interested in more than just Anita's professional talents, but the feisty necromancer isn't playing along--yet. This popular series has a wild energy and humor, and some very appealing characters--both dead and alive.

Guilty Pleasures introduces the character of Anita Blake Vampire Hunter and her world, an alternate history where magic, vampires, werewolves and other supernatural elements are known to exist. Blake, a zombie animator and licensed vampire executioner, is forced to investigate a series of vampire murders, and in the process comes into contact with many of the supernatural characters of her home city of Saint Louis. The novel blends elements of supernatural and detective fiction.

My Thoughts:

This book came before Buffy, Charmed and vampirism/paranormal stuff becaume massivly popular. This was one of the first books that showed me reading could be a pleasure.

I find Anita Blake a well written and funny person. And the story moves along with quite good pace. A serial killer murdering vampires isn't something I've come across before and I loved the idea from the start. Half of me almost wants to wake up in her alternate world.

This was one of those books I wanted all my friends to read and the kind I'd move to a better shelf position in book shops.

This is the first of an ever growing series and I'd highly reccomend it to anyone who wants to become addicted to the books.

Links:

Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_blake

About the Author - http://www.laurellkhamilton.org/

By the same Author:

Anita Blake Series

Guilty Pleasures

The Laughing Corpse

Circus Of The Damned

Lunatic Cafe

Bloody Bones

The Killing Dance

Burnt Offerings

Blue Moon

Obsidian Butterfly

Narcissus In Chains

Cerulean Sins

Incubus Dreams

Micah

Danse Macabre

The Harlequin (2007)

Merry Gentry Series:

Kiss Of Shadows

Caress Of Twilight

Seduced By Moonlight

Stroke Of Midnight

Mistral's Kiss

Other Works:

Nightseer

Death of a Darklord - Ravenloft

NightShade - Star Trek NG

Strange Candy

I read this one a couple of years ago. I really liked the fact that Anita Blake seems seated in reality - after all is IS impractical to fight a vampire in high-heels, and why do they always catch you on the way to the loo?!

I read Laughing Corpse too, but then stopped. Not sure why, just didn't find it quite as gripping and realistic as Guilty Pleasures.