BBC Year of Books

Fev

I had lately noticed an upsurge in the theme of Literature on the Beeb's programmes schedule, but not realised that it's actually a current 'season' of theirs. I just saw Anne Robinson on the One Show this evening though, talking about an upcoming series she'll be presenting called 'My Life in Books', where celebs talk about the authors and works that have influenced and inspired them the most.

I think I am most looking forward to the Giles Coren and Sue Perkins episode (the bods who recently relived The Good Life), but also intrigued by the juxtaposition of PD James and Richard Bacon of all people in the first episode. Possibly the more intrigued even by the second half of that pairing - what kind of books would a crack-head childrens'/bawdy breakfast TV presenter read?? Joking aside, he was on the payroll of Blue Peter when my particular generation were of the age to watch, so I do actually love him unconditionally, as I do them all (go Bonnie, Kari and Oke!)

Anyone caught any other programmes from this season, or particularly looking forward to one of the documentaries?

If anyone else is interested, you can view the press pack for the whole thing on the BBC Press Office website http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2011/01_january/25/intro.shtml

I've been watching the Faulks on Fiction, but I'm finding it a bit dry, as I did with The Birth Of The British Novel which ended up covering a lot of the same material.

I prefer more diversity in the subjects and hearing people talk about books and reading, so I'm looking forward to the Anne Robinson series as well, which I think will be more interesting (can't wait for Sarah Millican, personally). A bit of a long wait, but Armando Iannucci is someone I always love to listen to, and his programme looking at Dickens will be hopefully be interesting, although not on until the end of the year. I like the look of nearly everything in the Events section, starting with the Sue Perkins Culture Show Special on World Book Day in a couple of weeks time.

Generally, lots to look forward to!

Edited by chesilbeach

I've been watching Faulks on Fiction, I like the programme & Faulks's presenting style ( although wondering if he's ever going to change his shirt since Chesil mentioned it in another thread :lol: ) I'll definitely be tuning in for Anne Robinson, I think it's great that there are so many book programmes on at the moment.

Well so far I am enjoying the series, despite the realisation that of course it inevitably spoils the plot of any of the books that I have yet to read [which wouldn't be a problem given the enormity of the TBR pile under which they are already buried - I could very easily forget the spoilers by the time I get around to them - except that of course the enthusiasm with which the guests talk about them would otherwise make me want to open them immediately :D]

The other thing that strikes me is the shoddy way in which the books are frequently handled, with the primary culprit being Anne when she hands them across the table open at a quote page, flapping from the bent cover - bad form Anne, very bad form :( Kudos to Clare Balding though for acknowledging the special sensory experience of reading a book :) Hm, may just have to read myself a bit of a Roald Dahl picturebook for a bedtime story [seeing as I already know how they all end in any case!]