How many books a week / month / year?

honestfi

How many books a year do you think you roughly read per year?I'm reading Stephen King - On Writing at the moment and he says he reads between 70 - 80 books per year and considers himself a slow reader. It got me thinking how many I read at my current pace I would probably end up between 40 - 50 books. Do some of you really read two books a week?That seems a lot to me!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my younger years, I'd read a book per day,but the older I get the more I have slowed down and need to read slower to absorb more .It depends a lot on the book,whether it is really good or kinda dull as to the speed I read. I'd say if it's really interesting, I'd read one book in 2 days,but other books may take a week or more .

I would say an average of one book every 7 - 10 days. It varies so much though. Some books can be read in a day; others it can take me several weeks. It's not necessarily related to the size of the book either. I find some books just tend to flow a bit more and are easier to read than others.

• 1 month later...

I have only been cataloguing how many books I read in a certain time period, since last May (40+ books from May until December). Generally though it depends on what kind of books I read, on rare occasion I read one book or less than one book per week, most often though I read 3-4 books per week. When I was younger I could read 7 books per week (one book per day) or even more than that (10 books per week?). It depends on what other things I'm doing, too.

When I was younger I could read 7 books per week (one book per day) or even more than that (10 books per week?).

I think till I was around 20, I did read one book a day too.

Now I'm happy if I can read a bit everyday - not so focussed on numbers.

In my younger years, I'd read a book per day,but the older I get the more I have slowed down and need to read slower to absorb more .It depends a lot on the book,whether it is really good or kinda dull as to the speed I read. I'd say if it's really interesting, I'd read one book in 2 days,but other books may take a week or more .

I've heard other people say they can read one book a day, that's so alien to me I think I'm at more of a one book a week pace! Do you mean 300-500 page books?and how many hours would you read a day? Perhaps I should improve my own pace, I would like to read more.

My pace varies massively. Books take me anywhere from a day to several months - when I read Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell it took me about 5 months to get through it, piece by piece. Then I read The Book Of Lost Things by John Connolly in one sitting. Took me several hours, but I did.

At the moment, I'm trying to work on a pace of more than one per week, because I'd like to read more than 52 books this year, but since I'm reading three or four books side by side (and will probably finish them close together), I won't know until I've finished them what my average pace is.

• 3 months later...

My reading's all over the place this year. I seem to have this one odd pattern, though: one month's books I could count with the fingers of one hand, and the next month I read double the amount, and then it's less than 6 again, and the next month double again :D

I used to read 3 to 4 books a week when I was a youthful girl. Now, however, I read about 1 book every two weeks. I could read more if I didn't have to do housework, walk the dog, do the garden, laundry, ect, ect....Not to mention my own pt work. Then there is the television. I love the summer when the tv holds my attention less and less and I go and read under the veranda (when the weather allows naturally). No distractions of the tv being watched by hubby.

Isn't it annoying, Miss Mabel, how life gets in the way of reading :empathy:   I think it's true what you said about summer, though. When the weather's fine and one can go outside without winter jackets and survive, it's easier to take a book with one and read, rather than try and haul a TV outside.

I used to blast through books. But I'm frequently being distracted by video games and having to homework now so I don't read through them as quickly. I also think it's because the books I'm reading right now just aren't the books I should be reading at that moment. They aren't always appealing to me sometimes. xD I can get 2-4 books in a month, I guess.

Yes, it is very annoying when Real Life gets in the way of reading. I think my problem is also that I want to do so many things at once. Crafting, cooking, gardening, and READING. Thank goodness for audio books - I can do a bit of listening/reading whilst doing some of the above. Two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Don't know if I answered this, but my average is 1-2 books a month (if I'm lucky) I only tend to read in bed at night and if I am out in town and stop for a cuppa. I should make time to read more, rather than sitting on the computer of an evening, but that is when I catch up here...lol .

I do end up averaging 50 books a year, but I read them unevenly rather than at a steady pace. Sometimes I can read a book in one or two days, but other times it can take me several weeks. It all depends what else I have going on at the time. :smile:

I used to read between 6-8 books a month but over the last couple I've only read one or two! Its not the fact that I want to read less, I'd love to read more but I've just moved in with the boyfriend and housework and farming is really taking up a lot of my time now :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My goal is to read 50-60 books a year. I don't keep count, but I think I get close to that goal pretty much every year. I might start keeping track just to see how many I actually read in a year.