Oscars 2011

Kell

So, the nominations are up (click HERE)

My tips are:

Best Actor - Colin Firth in “The King's Speech”

Best Supporting Actor - Geoffrey Rush in “The King's Speech”

Best Actress - Natalie Portman in “Black Swan” (because she's pregnant - not because she gave a brilliant performance!)

Best Supporting Actress - Helena Bonham Carter in “The King's Speech”

Animated Feature Film - Toy Story 3

Art Direction - “Inception” - Production Design: Guy Hendrix Dyas; Set Decoration: Larry Dias and Doug Mowat

Cinematography - “Inception” Wally Pfister

Costume Design - “Alice in Wonderland” Colleen Atwood

Directing - “The King's Speech” Tom Hooper (“True Grit” Joel Coen and Ethan Coen might be a shoe-in)

Film Editing - “The King's Speech” Tariq Anwar

Music (original score) - “Inception” Hans Zimmer

Best Picture - “The King's Speech” Iain Canning, Emile Sherman and Gareth Unwin, Producers

Short Film (animated) - “The Gruffalo” Jakob Schuh and Max Lang

Sound Editing - “Tron: Legacy” Gwendolyn Yates Whittle and Addison Teague

Sound Mixing - “Inception” Lora Hirschberg, Gary A. Rizzo and Ed Novick

Visual Effects - “Inception” Paul Franklin, Chris Corbould, Andrew Lockley and Peter Bebb (but I think Tron Legacy should have been in there and won it!)

Writing (original screenplay) - “Inception” Written by Christopher Nolan OR “The King's Speech” Screenplay by David Seidler

I've not put choices for all the categories as I haven't sen the films in the documentary and shorts sections.

I firmly believe that Black Swan deserves ZERO Oscars, but will get some anyway, and tht The King;s Speech will win almost all of the sections for which it's nominated. I'm also really miffed that Tron Legacy was only nominated in one category - it deserved better than that.

What does anyone else think?

I think The King's Speech thoroughly deserves all its nominations and it should sweep the boards quite convincingly. Both Helen Bonham Carter and Colin Firth deserve Best Supporting Actor and Best Actor respectively; they both gave wonderful performances. Inception will pick up awards for Visual Effects and Cinematography and I feel they're deserved as well. All in all mostly expected, and I don't think there will be many shock winners.

I really have no idea who's going to win this year, but I think that'll become clearer once I see more of the nominated films. I'm seeing A King's Speech on Friday, but I still need see The Fighter, The Kids are All Right, Winter's Bone, Black Swan and The Social Network. 3 of those are in my Netflix queue at the moment so won't be difficult seeing them before 27 Feb.

Kell, can I ask why you think that Black Swan should get zero awards?

I'm really hoping True Grit wins for something, since I think it was superb. I would love to see the Coen's recognized for their direction, as well as Haley Steinfeld for her role. I love Fincher, but I'm not sure I can see him winning for Social Network, even though he won the Globe. I'm still bitter that my favorite film of his, Zodiac, didn't even get nominated the year it was out.

Kell, can I ask why you think that Black Swan should get zero awards?

Simply because I hated the movie - LOL! From the trailer, you expect a dark, intense thriller. What you get is a pathetic Mummy's girl (who, in reality, would never have the mental or emotional stamina to become a prima ballerina in the first place) going out of her mind. I thought the writing was below par and the only good performance was from Kunis who really showed potential. The costume design was pretty good, but I think other films have done better. If the film had been as the trailer promised, I think it would have been a far better film.

Simply because I hated the movie - LOL! From the trailer, you expect a dark, intense thriller. What you get is a pathetic Mummy's girl (who, in reality, would never have the mental or emotional stamina to become a prima ballerina in the first place) going out of her mind. I thought the writing was below par and the only good performance was from Kunis who really showed potential. The costume design was pretty good, but I think other films have done better. If the film had been as the trailer promised, I think it would have been a far better film.

Hmm, now I'm not sure I want to see this one! :lol: Like you said, I just assumed it was a dark thriller, at least from what the trailer showed. I read earlier today that Kunis was snubbed since she wasn't nominated, which is really too bad.

I have no idea what the Academy is thinking sometimes...

I don't suppose it'll happen, but I'd really like to see Jennifer Lawrence win Best Actress for her performance in Winter's Bone. Also, I loved Toy Story 3 but I'm kind of hoping that How To Train Your Dragon wins Best Animation.

I don't suppose it'll happen, but I'd really like to see Jennifer Lawrence win Best Actress for her performance in Winter's Bone. Also, I loved Toy Story 3 but I'm kind of hoping that How To Train Your Dragon wins Best Animation.

I added Winter's Bone to my Netflix queue yesterday after hearing it got nominated, Karsa. I'd never heard of it before yesterday - what is it about?

I also still need to watch Toy Story 3; guess I'll be busy the next 4 weeks! :D

Well if the Golden Globes are anything to go by, The Social Network should pickup quite a few of these.

Edit: My pridictions as follows:

Best Actor - Colin Firth in “The King's Speech”

Best Supporting Actor - Christian Bale in “The Fighter”

Best Actress - Natalie Portman in “Black Swan”

Best Supporting Actress - Helena Bonham Carter in “The King's Speech”

Animated Feature Film - Toy Story 3

Art Direction - “Inception” - Production Design: Guy Hendrix Dyas; Set Decoration: Larry Dias and Doug Mowat

Cinematography - “Inception” Wally Pfister (I'd like to have said "The book of Eli" purely for the Gun fight in the house scene... it blew my mind!)

Costume Design - “Alice in Wonderland” Colleen Atwood

Directing - “The Social Network” David Fincher

Film Editing - “127 Hours” Jon Harris

Music (original score) - “The Social Network” Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross (It's ridiculous that Daft Punk are not nominated here for Tron. That soundtrack is astonishing)

Best Picture - Either “The King's Speech” or “The Social Network”

Short Film (animated) - “The Gruffalo” Jakob Schuh and Max Lang

Sound Editing - “Inception” Richard King

Sound Mixing - “Inception” Lora Hirschberg, Gary A. Rizzo and Ed Novick

Visual Effects - “Inception” Paul Franklin, Chris Corbould, Andrew Lockley and Peter Bebb

Writing (original screenplay) - “The King's Speech” Screenplay by David Seidler

Edited by Amesy

I added Winter's Bone to my Netflix queue yesterday after hearing it got nominated, Karsa. I'd never heard of it before yesterday - what is it about?

It's about a teenage girl called Ree Dolly living in the Ozark mountains, whose father goes missing and leaves her to look after her two brothers and her mentally ill mother. Then the police turn up and tell her that, unless her father turns up for a hearing in a few days time, their house and everything they own will be taken from them. So she sets off in search of him.

That's it in a nutshell. I highly recommend reading the book as well, it's excellent. It's by Daniel Woodrell. :)

• 1 month later...

It's about a teenage girl called Ree Dolly living in the Ozark mountains, whose father goes missing and leaves her to look after her two brothers and her mentally ill mother. Then the police turn up and tell her that, unless her father turns up for a hearing in a few days time, their house and everything they own will be taken from them. So she sets off in search of him.

That's it in a nutshell. I highly recommend reading the book as well, it's excellent. It's by Daniel Woodrell. :)

Thanks, Karsa! :D It sounds like something I'd like. It's still in my Netflix queue with a 'very long wait' next to it so unfortunately I won't get to see it before the ceremony tonight. I'm still looking forward to seeing it though!

I did see 'The Town' the other night, a film which Jeremy Renner is nominated for Best Supporting Actor. While I think he did a good job, I think all awards should go to Christian Bale for that category.

Oh, and a friend of mine saw 3 of the films that are nominated in the Documentary Short Film category and she said she hopes that 'Killing in the Name' takes the honor.

Anyone know if any UK television channels have coverage? I've noticed the official Oscar website seems to be suggest live streaming but I'm not quite sure if it's going to involve extra cost or anything like that; there seems to be a lot of talk of 'all access passes' and whatnot. Anyway, hopefully I can watch this year; definitely going to stay up for a bit if I can. Everyone else enjoy, anyway. (:

Edited by Ben

REALLY pleased that Christian Bale and Melissa Leo won. Both are excellent actors, and Melissa Leo in particular has never really got the recognition she deserves.

Colin Firth was a foregone conclusion. I like him a lot, but I admit I was hoping that Jeff Bridges would get the double!

REALLY pleased that Christian Bale and Melissa Leo won. Both are excellent actors, and Melissa Leo in particular has never really got the recognition she deserves.

I agree Ruth :)

Did you guys see any of the awards ceremony? I sure don't think it should win points for any production value! :lol:

I'm also very glad both Colin and Christian won. They were both amazing in their roles. Tbh, while I thought Melissa Leo did an excellent job in the Fighter, I still think Hailee Steinfeld deserved the award. I also saw 'Winter's Bone' tonight and thought Jennifer Lawrence was amazing. Overall I think there were more disappointments for me than cheers, but who ever said the Academy was perfect?! ;):P

I think you and Frankie may have been gushing over him earlier, Peace, but just who on earth is the guy that co-hosted the awards? I've never heard of him before.

It was James Franco, Kylie, and while I love him in movies and TV, hosting awards ceremonies is definitely not his thing! :lol: He needs to stick to anything but that. His hosting just added to the awkwardness of the whole ceremony, which pains me to say I'm afraid.