Irish emigration to America

Hello everyone,

I live in the Netherlands and because of that I'm quite unfamiliar with most of the English books. However, I want to read some more now that I'm almost finished with high school. I prefer a book in the English language so I can also learn some better English while reading it.

So I have already read an Irish book, the Butcher Boy, which I liked really much. This book didn't have anything to do with America but the Irish atmosphere was easy to recognise in it. I have also seen a few movies and paintings illustrating the emigrants who went to America from Ireland, for example the movie Gangs of New York, or the song "Many Young Men of Twenty" by the Dubliners.

So now I thought it would be cool to read a good book which describes a few Irish men travelling to America, and it would also be really nice if you get to know their past in Ireland too. You know, something like that. If anyone of you people here know a book like that, can you please put the title of it down here?

Hello Peter. I don't know any about men going to America, but Colm Tóibín's recent book Brooklyn is about a young woman who emigrates to the United States in the 1950s, and covers what home life was like in Ireland and her experiences as an immigrant in America as well. I really loved it, so can recommend it.

I haven't read any of these, but Frank McCourt's memoirs (Angela's Ashes, 'Tis and Teacher Man) describe his impoverished childhood in Limerick in the first book, then the next two books follow him as he emigrates to America. I know a few people who've read them and all have loved them.

Hope that helps. :)

Edited by chesilbeach

Hello Peter. I don't know any about men going to America, but Colm Tóibín's recent book Brooklyn is about a young woman who emigrates to the United States in the 1950s, and covers what home life was like in Ireland and her experiences as an immigrant in America as well. I really loved it, so can recommend it.

I haven't read any of these, but Frank McCourt's memoirs (Angela's Ashes, 'Tis and Teacher Man) describe his impoverished childhood in Limerick in the first book, then the next two books follow him as he emigrates to America. I know a few people who've read them and all have loved them.

Hope that helps. :)

Hello,

Thank you very much for your reply! I will take a look at all of those books you mentioned, esspecially the memoirs written by Frank McCourt appeal very much to me. :D

Hi Peter, I'd recommend Star of the Sea by Joseph O'Connor it's a great read & sounds like just what your looking for.

Hello,

Thank you very much for that title! I just read a small summary about that book and it is indeed very close to what I described! I think I'll make a wish list with all these suggestions, I think almost all of them are really worth reading :D .